Fan Fiction

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fan Fiction

Post  Raksha on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 am

Cynara wrote:I may have reached my personal fandom hard limit, and that limit is omegaverse. WHAT HAS BEEN READ CANNOT BE UNREAD.

Heh, yeah. When I first came across that I was all "...Really? Why?" And I just keep seeing it more and more. I'm baffled.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am

I think I read somewhere the who alphaverse thing is supposed to be based on wolf society. If true, I am offended on behalf of wolves everywhere.

And also baffled, too.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 am

It's true, I think there is a subgender of male wolves that's capable of mpreg. Science!
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 am

I would say that it has a slight relation to the kind of pack dynamics that show up in werewolf books but taken to some strange places.

As with so many things I'm going to blame Supernatural fandom.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 am

I HATE IT! AND IT'S EVERYWHERE! It's invading fandoms that don't even have ANIMALS. I wish I could erase it from the internet!
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 am

It is everywhere. It's like Mpreg and Fuck or Die and/or Aliens (or something) Made Them Do It all combined into something very stupid. You want to write Mpreg? JUST ADMIT IT.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:31 am

David Tennant, I just found out, once wrote a piece of fanfiction about...David Tennant.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  salamandersam on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:58 am

Eris Rising wrote:David Tennant, I just found out, once wrote a piece of fanfiction about...David Tennant.

Maybe it's that I haven't had enough coffee, but I couldn't get the picture to enlarge so that I could read it.

salamandersam

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:05 pm

salamandersam wrote:
Eris Rising wrote:David Tennant, I just found out, once wrote a piece of fanfiction about...David Tennant.

Maybe it's that I haven't had enough coffee, but I couldn't get the picture to enlarge so that I could read it.

Odd, it takes up the screen when I click the link.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I have that on some DW merchandise. Racking my brain...maybe it's from the DVD box set?

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulva on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 am

There are three types of men, alpha males, beta males, and omega males. Alpha males are like any ordinary guy with the exception of their cocks, they work just like canines (the knot, tons of cum, strong breeders, etc) The beta male, is an ordinary guy without the special cock. Omega males are capable of child bearing and often called bitch males.

My first thought:

Ew. Ick. Where the hell are they getting this from?

My second thought:

The guy on the bottom is going to need Depends for the rest of his life.

Mulva

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 pm

"I am such a fan of yours that I decided to give you a dogcock." Classifying men by their penis- we've come a long way, baby! Also, EW.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 am

Gallifrey Girl wrote:I have that on some DW merchandise. Racking my brain...maybe it's from the DVD box set?
It's from the boxset for the Specials.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 am

I just finished both seasons of Teen Wolf at the insistence of laurelin_kit, so now I need fic recs. Pretty much any pairing, het or slash, would be all right. I know the fandom is pretty big, and I'm interested in seeing what's out there.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 am

The crack-van recs are a good place to start!

Fair warning, it's really hard to find fic that has no Stiles/Derek. That irritated me at first, but it's become an acquired taste, so I'm okay with it.

Some ones I remember liking:

"By Any Other Name" by entanglednow (I don't know why, but I love amnesia fics). Actually, all of her stuff is good. This Scott POV one made me laugh really hard. Oh, Scott, you adorable potato.

"Accountability" by ampliflyer is a really enjoyable outsider POV.

"this boy, half-destroyed" by M_Leigh has some great, angsty pre-Hale fire flashbacks.

And for something a little different: "I Know I'm a Mess You Don't Want to Clean Up" by lielabell is a good Erica-centric Erica/Lydia fic.

In other news, someone rewrote the first paintball episode of Community with The Avengers. I giggled a lot. "A Higher Form of War" by gdgdbaby.
The first thing that occurs to Tony is that the deflector shields are down. The ship is motionless, a sitting duck—a flying duck, as it were.

He jettisons up. His black pirate flag's peppered with bits of neon paint—in fact, the entire topside of the helicarrier is splattered haphazardly with broken pellets and streaks of color. The UN flag's been torn in half and is fluttering half-mast, which means they're probably breaking about ten different maritime laws.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

In going through this thread to make sure no one had already posted The Boy and the Beast (Stiles/Derek) by dira sudis, I opened several more tabs. I will never get work done today, apparently. Anyway, the above story is indeed Sterek, but I enjoyed it immensely, despite (or because of?) the fact that I'm not in the fandom and am barely familiar with the show.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:35 pm

mandalaya wrote:In going through this thread to make sure no one had already posted The Boy and the Beast (Stiles/Derek) by dira sudis, I opened several more tabs. I will never get work done today, apparently. Anyway, the above story is indeed Sterek, but I enjoyed it immensely, despite (or because of?) the fact that I'm not in the fandom and am barely familiar with the show.
I really liked that one too! So, during my recovery from my recent surgery (and honestly for a while before that), I read a ridiculous amount of Sterek fic. And they weren't even my favorite pairing from the show, but there is a ton of good fic being written in the fandom that I'm still mining through. I thought I'd put up some of my favorites here. Pretty much all of these are long.

More like canon:

• Just Act Normal by zosofi - an actually canon compliant story where Stiles is an Oscar winning actor. "If someone had told Stiles back in high school that he would be an Oscar winning actor by the time he turned 25, he would’ve probably told Scott to punch them. The thing is, though…they would’ve been right. Which makes returning to Beacon Hills, center of all that is supernatural and better left avoided, all the more awkward."
  • Hide Of A Life War by Etharei - “We have received confirmation that there is a hostage situation in progress at a warehouse compound two hours out of Los Angeles, following a multiple-vehicle pileup on Highway 101 this morning...” The one in which Stiles has lived to (legal) adulthood and, along the way, become a bit of a badass himself.
  • Courage Through Fear by Pookaseraph - "With the Alpha Pack closing in, Stiles is thrust into the center of an unusual three-way alliance between Hunters, werewolves, and little old him. Injecting himself between all sides in a war far beyond his skill has far reaching consequences for Stiles, but it might be just what he needs to gain the courage to get what he wants."

Fluffy:

• Mating Habits of the Domesticated North American Werewolf by lielabell - Derek doesn’t do pining. He doesn’t. So when it becomes clear that Stiles is much more interested in having Derek as a new best friend than a boyfriend, he puts on his big boy pants and makes it fucking work. He becomes the best goddamn friend a spastic teenager could ever hope to have.
  • The Cards All Fall by ChaoticReactions - Peter needs his revenge. But for that, he can't be under constant surveillance. And so he comes up with a plan to distract Derek and Stiles with each other. Things go as expected, and then they don't. AKA That one where Peter makes everyone's lives a little better completely by accident.
  • A (Sort of) Fairytale by briecheesie - The summer after senior year starts normally enough, with the gang spending their final months before college together at the Martin family's lake house. Then Jackson stumbles onto the burial ground of a witch's ex-husband, Stiles is magically turned into a fox, and things somehow manage to get worse from there. The gratuitous Princess Bride references are only of moderate help.

AU:

• Discovery Channel by Kayevelyn - Stiles is the best werewolf ever. fork in the road au.
  • Cross My Soul by ecarian, the requisite His Dark Materials crossover - Sometime around mid summer, during the intervening weeks of baseball camp and recovering from baseball camp and the latest Minecraft update, Jinx hops up the plastic step stool to their bed and says, “Derek’s daemon won’t talk to me.”
  • DILF - "Today is Scott's first day of kindergarten and Derek is terrified."

Also as a tip, if you're ever trying to look for fic on Archive of Our Own in a new fandom, try sorting by Kudos.

ETA: To be clear, by Fluffy I mean it doesn't deal with monsters or fighting, just with interpersonal relationships. There is usually at least some angst, especially in the top one.

Last edited by vwlphb on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I love you so much. <saves all of the fics>
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:50 pm

So I've been doing a Doctor Who rewatch, and got through The Angels Take Manhattan last night (and cried and cried, AGAIN). And I got to wondering - is there any good post-Angels Pondfic floating around the internets? Nothing maudlin or over the top; just Amy and Rory kicking ass and taking names in late Depression era New York. Any recs?
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Have you seen the coda with Rory's Dad? It doesn't have adventures per say, but it is awesome and will make you cry more.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm

I haven't read any myself (mostly because it still hurts too much, I can't go poking that wound), but using the search function on the A Teaspoon and an Open Mind archive or checking the Calufrax rec LJ would be a good start.

I've been obsessing about Highlander since I started my rewatch a few weeks ago and I'm finally starting to dive into the fic. I've read a bunch of stuff rec'd on Crack Van LJ and now I'm starting to wade through AO3 (is it just me or is the quality in that archive starting to get spotty?). Anyone have any recs? Especially Methos-centered ones?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 am

nazlan wrote:So I've been doing a Doctor Who rewatch, and got through The Angels Take Manhattan last night (and cried and cried, AGAIN). And I got to wondering - is there any good post-Angels Pondfic floating around the internets? Nothing maudlin or over the top; just Amy and Rory kicking ass and taking names in late Depression era New York. Any recs?
I don't have much in adventures but there have been a few stories with Amy as an author that I like. This one has Clara and Eleven too and deals with them meeting again. This one is an imagined foreword to her books, and has cameos from classic Doctor Who characters
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:46 am

I just ran across this Welcome to Night Vale fic: "How I Survived My Summer Vacation, by Tamika Flynn, Age 12 3/4" by thingswithwings. "The first book on Tamika Flynn's Summer Reading Program Sticker Chart is Lord of the Flies. She doesn't really like it."

This is delightfully weird in a lived-in kind of way and it really gets across the feelings of horror and desperation you'd imagine having lived through such an experience. Makes me want more Tamika!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 am

Quick question - have any of you read any of Henry Jenkins' books? If so, does he seem to actually get fandom or is he yet another person looking in from the outside saying "oh look how cute these fanfic writing teenagers are"?

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 am

It's been a decade since I read him, but I remember that he had a tremendous amount of respect for fans and fandom; I don't recall him being condescending at all. I used Textual Poachersfor my thesis, and I think it spent a lot of time on fanfiction, but don't hold me to that.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top