Fan Fiction

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fan Fiction

Post  vwlphb on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Cool. That's what I've heard from some other people too, it helps put me at ease.

On another note, can you think of anyone representative of Avengers/Marvel fandom, from the fan side? Hawkeye Initiative is getting pushback as being too controversial, and Copperbadge is too reclusive/secretive.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 pm

vwlphb wrote:Cool. That's what I've heard from some other people too, it helps put me at ease.

On another note, can you think of anyone representative of Avengers/Marvel fandom, from the fan side? Hawkeye Initiative is getting pushback as being too controversial, and Copperbadge is too reclusive/secretive.

Do you mean to interview or link to or what? Every person I can think of who's popular on Tumblr is…really annoying. That may just be my Bitter Old Fandom Hag showing, though.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

The Carol Corps (see also here and here) are pretty big and do a lot. Fan works, networking to help other fans out, panels and informal stuff at cons, all that kind of stuff. Kelly Sue DeConnick is involved with a lot of their stuff too.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:17 am

Raksha wrote:The Carol Corps (see also here and here) are pretty big and do a lot.  Fan works, networking to help other fans out, panels and informal stuff at cons, all that kind of stuff.  Kelly Sue DeConnick is involved with a lot of their stuff too.

Oh, yeah, if you mean the comics and not the movies, Kelly Sue and the Carol Corps all the way. They are a delight.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:54 am

I'm trying to organize a panel talk about Fandom but am dealing with resistance and stupidity from all sides, especially those not at all involved with fandom who want to bring in speakers either not involved or tangentially involved instead.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 am

Flatbear is awesome. She's a fan artist and works in a comic book store. She did a Carol Corps panel last year with Kelly Sue, and this summer she and her wife organized an online con for Pacific Rim that the cast and crew of the movie ended up loving & participating in. She'd be a great fandom representative.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 am

Does anyone have any Klaus/Caroline (Vampire Diaries) recs? I'm having a hard time finding good ones that aren't completely OOC. They're so weird, unlikely, and frankly kind of fucked up, there should be more people having fun with that aspect of their relationship!

Actually, anything at all Rebekah-related would be great too.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 am

This is kind of more fanart than fic, but I still think it belongs here: "A Partial Map of Your TARDIS (Subject to Change)" by alibi_factory. Amazing!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:54 pm

If The Winter Soldier doesn't lead to an explosion in Steve/Natasha fic, I will find a way to punch the internet in the face.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Agreed! Please share if you find any good stuff!

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 am

vwlphb wrote:Quick question - have any of you read any of Henry Jenkins' books? If so, does he seem to actually get fandom or is he yet another person looking in from the outside saying "oh look how cute these fanfic writing teenagers are"?

A bit of both. He talked about the HP fandom but really only focused on the sites the younger fans went to. (I mean, okay, I was a teenager in fandom, but I still went places other than harrypotter.com or whatever it was.) But on the other hand, Melissa Anelli (of The Leaky Cauldron) was actually pretty big in the fandom and got flack for only talking about the corners she was exposed to. I think the problem with writing about fandom is that it is so huge, you can't possibly please everybody. Jenkins definitely does seem to respect fans, and I have to give him a lot of credit for that.

Conversely, I actually had a course on fanfiction, but the instructor chose to focus on fanfiction.net. Given that it's fanfiction.net, this did not go over well; I tried pointing people towards sites where Harry didn't make love to Hedwig, but it was too late, they were already in "ew Harry Potter fanfic writers are so weird" mode, and it was easier for me to just shut up. So maybe it's also easier to expose people totally unfamiliar with the concept to... tamer shores?

Speaking of younger fans, has anyone gone back and read a fic they loved back in the day and thought was the best thing that had ever been written next to the canon text, but realize now it was just okay, or even pretty awful? No titles obviously (unless it's your own), I just know that's happened to me recently.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PineappleGirl on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Putting in another plea for Steve/Natasha fic! It's been awhile since I've been invested enough in a fandom to crave fic, but I want to read this pairing so badly!
PineappleGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 am

Okay, I don't have any Steve/Natasha fics yet (I'm going to start digging tonight!), but I did find this great little fic called "Next New Message" by fabrega about Clint getting off a plane post-Winter Soldier and finding he has 37 new voice messages on his phone. Hee!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:19 am

That was pretty solid, though I think Barton would have recognized the Triskelion in the news report.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:13 am

Maybe not when it's in pieces?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  PineappleGirl on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:02 pm

I liked that one a lot, Raksha, thanks for sharing!

I did a quick search for Steve/Natasha on that same site and there's not nearly as much as I had hoped for - c'mon, people, it can't just be the few of us here that want it! (Right?! I dunno, maybe it is just us.)
PineappleGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:07 pm

See, I thought Steve/Nat make really great "bros", but I don't sense much physical or emotional chemistry between thm.

Nat/Clint? Every day and twice on Sunday.

What I'm afraid to go looking for is Steve/Sam. I'm interested to know how much there is, and how much of it centers on finding inventive uses for the wingsuit, but I don't want to actually see it for myself, if that makes any sense.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Raksha wrote:Okay, I don't have any Steve/Natasha fics yet (I'm going to start digging tonight!), but I did find this great little fic called "Next New Message" by fabrega about Clint getting off a plane post-Winter Soldier and finding he has 37 new voice messages on his phone.  Hee!

That is made entirely of awesome. Also, I'm pretty sure Clint and I have the same cell phone, and for the same reason.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:09 am

Putli Bai wrote:
Raksha wrote:Okay, I don't have any Steve/Natasha fics yet (I'm going to start digging tonight!), but I did find this great little fic called "Next New Message" by fabrega about Clint getting off a plane post-Winter Soldier and finding he has 37 new voice messages on his phone.  Hee!

That is made entirely of awesome.  Also, I'm pretty sure Clint and I have the same cell phone, and for the same reason.
Awesome. The whole second half of the movie, I kept thinking "Where the hell is Barton? Natasha's going to kill him."

Anyone read any good fic from Bucky/The Winter Soldier's POV?

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 am

Okay, I found a few Steve/Natasha recs for y'all. Sorry there's so few. I rewatched last week's episode of Arrow and got sidetracked by Oliver/Felicity stuff.

Anyway! Recs!

Hurricanes by enigma731 - a sweet little missing scene, in the hospital after everything goes down.

"You and Me, Me and Time" by TheAmethystRiddle [WARNING: WIP] - "He never calls Sharon. She can never go back to Budapest. Their pasts are uncertain and their futures no better. He's a man out of time and she's a woman with no time left - maybe that's what draws them together." - It's only got two chapters so far, but it's a very promising start.

"The Ghost in the Machine" by Denebola - "Her body is a tool. The purpose of her soul is still under investigation. Steve Rogers seems to think that both are designed for enjoying ice-cream."

"Old Souls in a New World" by igrockspock - "Natasha is Steve's first friend at SHIELD (and okay, maybe he wants a little more than friendship). They're both old souls in different ways."

"Phobic" by brandywine421 - "Everyone has irrational fears, here are a few of Captain America's." - A cute little fic that tickled me.

"MediAvengers" series by nottonyharrison - Not technically Steve/Natasha, but it's incredible. A series of AMAZING photoshopped magazine articles/covers that you'd expect to see in the MCU. They include the actual content of the articles too (and if you have trouble reading it on the actual pictures, the copy is repeated below the pics in regular text).

Anyone else find anything interesting? I haven't even delved into tumblr or the Pit of Voles yet.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:58 pm

Totally going to check those out.

Also I've realized I desperately need fic where Darcy and Sam Wilson hang out. If anyone finds it, let me know!

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:56 am

vwlphb wrote:Totally going to check those out.

Also I've realized I desperately need fic where Darcy and Sam Wilson hang out. If anyone finds it, let me know!

I ship Darcy with Steve, but I also want the same thing as well.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:56 am

MtOlivePickles wrote:
vwlphb wrote:Totally going to check those out.

I ship Darcy with Steve, but I also want the same thing as well.
Oh, I have no opinion either way on the two of them getting together, I just want to see them at SHIELD watching the Avengers on an op, eating popcorn and snarking on every move.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed May 14, 2014 7:12 pm

New fic recs!

On Your Way Up to the Light by dsudis - A fantastic post-Winter Soldier story told from Bucky's perspective as he tries to figure out who he is. I cannot wait until she updates the series (though this story can stand alone). It is lovely, with broken Bucky trying to figure out how to become Steve's Bucky again. One of my favorite lines:
not really spoiler:
Bucky had always come back to Steve, and Steve, when it was his turn to go on ahead, always came back to Bucky. He watched as Steve ended his run where Sam was already standing still, stretching his legs. He thought, Steve learned that from Bucky. Steve treats people like Bucky treated him.

He felt proud of Bucky--proud to be Bucky--when he'd figured that out. Bucky had taught Steve something once, a long time ago.
(Note: The pairings are Steve/Sam and Sam/Bucky in this story, but it's all kind of background. It's really about Steve and Bucky, and the dynamic between the three of them. Even if the pairings don't appeal, I say read it anyway.)

Five Times Steve Kissed Bucky by paragon - I'm not always a huge fan of 5+1 fics, but I loved this to pieces. I definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys the Steve/Bucky pairing. It takes place both pre- and post-serum.

Simple, Not Easy by LJC - a Darcy and Loki are Bros fic that remains in character. Told from Darcy's POV. (To be fair, I haven't finished it yet, but I am hugely enjoying it so far.) Pairings are Darcy/Clint and Loki/Sif.

Also I've been obsessed with Reservoir Dogs fic lately. One I really enjoyed on Ao3 was Cut My Throat by Delphi, but I also combed through the old kinkmeme pages and can offer recs from there if anyone is interested.

ETA: Oh, I almost forgot! With Days of Future Past coming out, you may be craving Erik/Charles fics. If so, run, don't walk, to Yahtzee's Ao3 page. Her stories are AMAZING and long!

They're all great, but I recommend starting with the Father Charles series, then check out Anarchy in the U.K. if you have lots of time to dedicate (it's 162,328 words), then go to the complementary fics Undone and Enigma, each of which explores what would happen if one of the two (Charles in the first, Erik in the second) from the modern era wakes up earlier in their timeline. Oh, and if you're looking for something set in the original X-Men timeline, read The Winter of Banked Fires. This one also has Logan/Rogue and Beast/Mystique as prominent pairings. But really, just read everything.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu May 15, 2014 12:18 am

Ooh, LJC is writing in the MCU now? Sweet! I lurve her Doctor Who fics so very much.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top