Fan Fiction

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fan Fiction

Post  Raksha on Fri May 16, 2014 2:38 am

Double posting because I really need some Arrow Oliver/Felicity fics. Recs please? I keep finding OOC crap and it hurts my feelings.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 am

Turn back now before all hope is lost! I have found nothing but dreck in Arrow fandom and it hurts me as well. I'm just beginning to think that no good writers have come into the fandom.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu May 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Ugh, what is the deal with that? Until the last couple months, I never read fanfic because I thought it would be what it is in the Arrow fandom. But now that I've seen the good stuff that exists in other fandoms, I'm just confused. I mean, yeah, Arrow's on the CW so the audience might skew younger than average, but that still doesn't explain it. Whyyyyyy does everyone write Oliver as some schmoopy dope? Why is Felicity so dull and sappy? Do I have to do this myself?
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Double-posting because I finally found one, you guys! After going through rec lists and still finding nothing but out-of-character junk and 50 Shades of Grey ripoffs, someone posted an Arrow fic that I actually liked. It's here, and it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:52 pm

I haven't read this woman's Arrow fic, but she writes a lot of it, and I've read her other fic and those are pretty great, so I'm betting her Arrow fic is probably pretty decent: http://archiveofourown.org/users/ferggirl/works

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Anyone know of good Finnick Odair fanfic? I'd love something angsty, but something funny or fluffy would work in a pinch. I've been watching The Hunger Games movies and am about to re-read the trilogy for the first time. Any recs would be tremendously appreciated!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Why the hell do I have to crave fic for a fandom that apparently doesn't produce any!? Damn you Outlander! And because I am a terrible person with dark nasty kinks (and a new thing for Tobias Menzies) I really want some Black Jack Randall fic.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Snarryfan wrote:Why the hell do I have to crave fic for a fandom that apparently doesn't produce any!?  Damn you Outlander! And because I am a terrible person with dark nasty kinks (and a new thing for Tobias Menzies) I really want some Black Jack Randall fic.

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, despite DG declaring she didn't like it.

I miss the days when I read SPN fic and I knew who was good and who to trust. Now whenever I feel the urge I'm always opening a fic in trepidation.

I did read some fic recently and I picked a slash fic cause it seemed like a good plot, and I forgot how it's a bit jarring to have two straight characters all of a sudden Have Feelings for their best friend/foster/worst enemy, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Most of it is Jamie/Claire, Caitriona Balfe/Sam Heughan RPF, or crossover, and there's not that much. DG is REALLY opposed to it.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 am

Cynara wrote:Most of it is Jamie/Claire, Caitriona Balfe/Sam Heughan RPF, or crossover, and there's not that much. DG is REALLY opposed to it.

It's funny, since Outlander hits almost every fanfic trope there is, hard.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:56 am

DG is REALLY opposed to it.

She lost me when she compared it to child trafficking. Of course now I can't find the article - I think it may have been a rant that she ended up taking down. I'm at work and there is only so much I want on my search history here. Is this ringing bells for anyone else?

ETA Found it! It was "selling your children into white slavery". Seriously.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:59 am

Isn't there the additional irony since DG was "inspired" to write the book because of a Doctor Who character.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:54 pm

snorf wrote:
DG is REALLY opposed to it.

She lost me when she compared it to child trafficking. Of course now I can't find the article - I think it may have been a rant that she ended up taking down. I'm at work and there is only so much I want on my search history here. Is this ringing bells for anyone else?

ETA Found it! It was "selling your children into white slavery". Seriously.

Oh, God. I feel so much embarrassment right now! And I haven't even clicked on the link.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Snarryfan wrote:Isn't there the additional irony since DG was "inspired" to write the book because of a Doctor Who character.

I think of that EVERY TIME her opposition of fan fiction comes up.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:44 pm

And basically didn't she state that she based Jamie on her husband anyway? And, well, read the description of Claire in the books and look at Diana Gabaldon. So COME ON. Plus what ulkis said. I tried to find Fandom Wank cache of that "white slavery" thing because they had a field day with it, but it appears to be gone.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Gonna play shoulder devil for a moment and say that I don't find what DG said all that egregious or incompatible with her inspiration. She was saying that seeing other people write fan-fiction, the majority of which is hypersexual in nature, with her characters is like *someone else* selling your children into white slavery. Given how many authors refer to their characters as their children, I'm not seeing the error here. It's hyperbole to make a point and the analogy is perfectly apt, since she's talking about something she's very emotionally invested being abused for the sexual gratification of others without her approval. Obviously she's not saying fan-fic writers are actual slavers, she's just trying to express her personal gut reaction to seeing her creation treated a particular way.

And as for being against fan-fic while basing a character on one of the Doctor's companions, it's inspiration. She was looking for something to write about, saw a 17th century Scotsman on TV and decided she wanted to write about that period. She's not writing fan-fiction about Jamie, and didn't start out that way either, unlike EL James. So I think it's consistent and valid to hold her opinion on fan-fic, even if she was inspired to write this particular story because of something she saw on TV.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:50 pm

laddical wrote:Gonna play shoulder devil for a moment and say that I don't find what DG said all that egregious or incompatible with her inspiration. She was saying that seeing other people write fan-fiction, the majority of which is hypersexual in nature, with her characters is like *someone else* selling your children into white slavery. Given how many authors refer to their characters as their children, I'm not seeing the error here. It's hyperbole to make a point and the analogy is perfectly apt, since she's talking about something she's very emotionally invested being abused for the sexual gratification of others without her approval. Obviously she's not saying fan-fic writers are actual slavers, she's just trying to express her personal gut reaction to seeing her creation treated a particular way.

I could sympathize with her if she didn't use that metaphor. That's a leeeetle bit over the top. I do think it's fine to not like fanfiction, although I think it's silly to some extent. But it's a valid feeling.

Did she actually say she didn't like it because her characters are being abused for the sexual gratification of others without her approval? Because if she did, I think that's pretty much straight-up ridiculous. If she just plain doesn't like other people writing her characters, fine, but to complain that they're being used in a pervy way for sexual gratification would be weird since . . . that is pretty much her books. I mean, yes, they definitely have a plot, and an engaging one, but her m.o. is abusing her characters for sexual gratification.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:23 am

I'm currently watching The Walking Dead, and I'm on about episode four of season four. I really want to read fic, but I don't want to be spoiled. Any recs for fic written before then?

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:37 am

Have fallen into Hannibal slash pit. Please send help.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 am

Snarryfan wrote:Have fallen into Hannibal slash pit. Please send help.

But do you really want help? Are you like Will Graham, thinking you want to be rescued when all you want to do is run around Europe with your murder husband and sample what (and who) it has to offer? Be honest now.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Why is it when I see Sam/Dean fic or those bros from Heros I'm like :shrug: people are gonna do what they're gonna do but when I spot Han/Luke fic I'm like NO JUST NO THAT IS WRONG lol

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulva on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 pm

ulkis wrote:Why is it when I see Sam/Dean fic or those bros from Heros I'm like :shrug: people are gonna do what they're gonna do but when I spot Han/Luke fic I'm like NO JUST NO THAT IS WRONG lol

I hadn't thought of that, but YOU'RE RIGHT! Han/Luke is icky! Wincest, on the other hand, well, what do you expect with the two of them stuck in the Impala all day and night?

Mulva

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:09 am

Avengers MCU fandom:
I have literally read all the Stucky top rated explicit, mature, and teen fiction. Well almost literally. Some stuff, like Winter!Cap is not my cup of tea. But I was sick for awhile, then I was depressed, so I just sorted by kudos/comments, hit "complete only" and went to town. It's taken several months. So If y'all wanna know what's worth reading, hit me up. There are a couple of WIP's that are worth waiting for too. I've also some Shieldshock and Tasertricks reccs too. I'll ship Darcy Lewis with anyone really.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Yes please!

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:10 am

Ok. Wish granted!
So in Ao3:

Author: SperanzaVarious genres, various titles.  Anything this person writes is amazing.  The best blend of sweetness and angst. Happy endings.  Except for the Fifties. That's a WIP and it's haunting me.  I can't see how its going to end well for anyone. If you're looking to start somewhere, I like "All the Angels and the Saints." Steve is trying to be a good Catholic boy.  It's not going so great.

Crossover AU fic:
Into That Good Night: Nonymos. Every Stucky thing she wrote is amazing, frankly, but this one made me cry tears at 3 am. It's Stucky, Interstellar style. Twist at the end that I didn't see coming. OMG the delicious angst.

Post Winter Soldier, goes AU afterwards:
Aint no Grave series by spitandvinegar.  You have to have an account to read it. It's worth it. This fic is one of the most commented, kudos'd, top rated Stucky fic on A03.   There is religious art, angst, drug use, and cute OC's that don't make you die a little inside.  This one I re-read whenever I can. It comes with its own fanfic! It's in the top ten of most commented Stucky fic. Bucky finds Steve. But not before he picks up some strays, a streak of vigilantism, and a heroin habit. It's actually not a sad angsty fic and it's funny too.

Rates of Recidivism. by Alcibiades. In which Bucky learns to be angry again. And how to set boundaries. Jarvis is both cool and a bit creepy.

Your Blue Eyed Boys by Feather. This one is straight up angst. Unrelenting, masochistic, everyone is depressed angst. Disassociation, depersonalization, flashbacks, PTSD all over the place, etc....So if you feel all PMS and you want to cry and none of your sad movies help, this one will beat you down over and over and over and over again. It's mostly a character study of recovery.  Very very slow recovery.  

Choice is not a word a bullet knows by bomber queen.  Natasha is awesome in it, Bucky listens to Nicki Minaj, all the Avengers work together and love each other and nothing hurts.

Fix it Fic, AKA fic that addresses that end credit scene in Civil War:
Break/Open by dornfelder

The Fic Everyone agrees should be read- people either love it or hate it-whether you like it or not, it's established fanon:
Not Easily Conquered by: dropdeaddream and Whatarefears. Steve jumps out of the plane in First Avengers. A fic about Stucky even though Stucky doesn't necessarily happen during it?

If you got tired of hurt/comfort and want unrepentant killer Bucky and mobwife good guy Steve who can't help loving him anyways:
The Murder Ballads by BetteNoire.
Bucky was a bad boy from the beginning and he won't be tamed by Steve. But maybe he won't stay completely feral either.  It's complicated.  Trust me when I say that this is not the darkest variation of this idea.  There's another similar fic where Bucky skins people alive in the backroom of the strip club he manages and Steve packs his lunch, daily, unaware of what's really going on. THIS IS NOT THAT.

WinterShieldShock:
When You Wake by sevenfoxes. Steve gets hit with a bioweapon that makes him have Groundhog Day-ish type powers and he lives several lifetimes. But as he slowly figures out how to keep from starting over, he begins to gain things he can't afford to lose. Like whole families. Children. Relationships. And eventually, he will die...right?

Ok, this is a taste. These were all complete and E rated. I didn't include the completely AU no powers everyone is at college or Steve never met Bucky till modern times fic either.  t also have shieldshock and wintersheildshock and tasertricks and maybe y'all should just check out my bookmarks on my Ao3 account.  I'd love to gab about what people loved and didn't love cause in some cases I'm years late in the fandom and I'm just sitting here all by myself having feelings while everyone else has moved on. Sad.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top