The Star Wars Saga

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Star Wars Saga

Post  The Dude on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 am

George Lucas retiring.

I wonder if someone will take up his legacy of ruining the original trilogy.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Red Wolf on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 am

I'm not convinced. As the article points out, he's said it before. Possibly twice.

Actually, I subscribe to a theory I once heard that he feels sort of trapped by Star Wars. That it's become this huge thing, that provides so much work for so many people that he feels responsible, and can't get away from it.

I hope he does start making smaller movies again. He has enough money and freedom to do whatever he wants. Maybe what Star Wars needs is someone new making the big decisions. There are certainly enough talented people who have worked/are currently working in that universe. Imagine if John Ostrander mecame the head honcho, or Matthew Stover.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16 am

Some Frankensteinian amalgam of Ostrander, Stover, and Dave Fironi (show runner on The Clone Wars) taking creative control would be okay with me.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 am

Lucas just loves sticking it to the people who gave him his fortune.

http://collider.com/george-lucas-star-wars-greedo-han/144155/

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 am

Oh good, TMP is coming out right when I was trying to ease back on drinking. Well, this time I'll make an exception. There's no way I'm going through that thing again sober.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:31 am

All in all, not bad, though the 3D is underdone. No surprises there, of course.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:44 pm

So I guess this time around Han doesn't shoot at all Greedo has an extreamly timely coranary. BUT IT WAS ALWAYS THAT WAY!
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Peter Mayhew wins the internet: Big Bang Theory meets Star Wars in tweet. This is probably the only thing I like about Big Bang Theory.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 am

The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkSpork on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:57 pm

He actually denied that. (Sorry for the self-linkage.)

DarkSpork

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:17 pm

NOT A JOKE. NOT A PRANK.

EPISODE VII coming in 2015, with 8 and 9 to follow.

Oh... and George Lucas will officially be *out* of the Star Wars business. The galaxy far, far away is now COMPLETELY "Someone Else's Problem" as far as he's concerned. Godspeed, Mr. Lucas, and thanks for everything.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Do you promise that Lucas won't write or direct them?

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Whoa. That is crazy. I'm glad he's passing the reins to new filmmakers.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:32 pm

I don't think Lucas wants to. I think he's honestly wanted to be out of the Star Wars business for decades now, but what was he going to do with all the people who depended on it for their own livelihoods, not to mention his own? Now that someone else owns it and given that he hasn't been listed as having any responsibility for the new division (Kathleen Kennedy will be President of LucasFilm, but no mention is made of Lucas), I think he's happy to let someone else do it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Lucas is going to be a creative consultant. Which I always interpret to mean "give us your notes and if we like them we'll use them."

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Pretty much. Or, brainstorming in a "Hey, George, we wanted to pick your brain for an afternoon about how you saw things going down in the years after Jedi" kind of way without any commitment to actually use any of his ideas.

I'm just curious as to how much attention will be paid to the Expanded Universe. Will they go so far into the future that they won't have to worry about contradictions, or will they simply de-canonize the EU and start fresh with only the movies and the Clone Wars TV show for continuity?

Last edited by laddical on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:06 pm

I wonder how much they're going to step all over the established canon from the Star Wars Expanded Universe. As soon as Han and Leia have kids not named Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin, I will lose it. I haven't kept up with the SWEU for a long time, but back in the day I was all about the books.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:07 pm

Jinx!

Honestly, I don't think I'd miss most of the EU if they lost it. I'd keep the Timothy Zahn series in my head canon until such time as it no longer fit, but the last two mega series they've done - "Legacy of the Force" and "Fate of the Jedi" have been so, so, so miserable. Not badly made, mind you, just... not fun. Killing Anakin Solo in "New Jedi Order" was bad enough, but to then have Jacen turn Sith and kill Mara Jade and then have Jaina have to kill Jacen and then have the political fallout from all that be, "Surprise! The three major governmental bodies in the galaxy are now all headed up by former Imperials"... and that leads in to the restored Empire that is present in the Star Wars: Legacy comic books that told the story of Cade Skywalker, Luke's great-great-great-grandson. It's just... what did Luke, Han, and Leia suffer for if it all turns to shit anyway?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Yeah, that's part of why I stopped reading. It's really grim. But up until about the Legacy of the Force line (back when Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin were still in school), were pretty good in a fun adventure way.

It'll be interesting to see how far into the future they decide to go.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 pm

It's just... what did Luke, Han, and Leia suffer for if it all turns to shit anyway?
Pretty much. Galactic wars and invasions happen twice a week in the GFFA. The Sith will never truly be stopped. The Big Bad will always have a prooge or apprentice stashed away somewhere, who will go underground until it's time to come up and cause trouble, someone else will be ambitious enough... And so on. Essentially, it's Wars, plural. I like it, but I can see how the futility might get some people down.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, I certainly don't mind leaving Lucas out of directing and writing, and I am rather curious to see who gets hired for the creative team. I'll reserve judgment until I know more.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  katbeth on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't be happy about it if it means the Expanded Universe is about to be erased.

ETA: Wow, this does not deserve to be my first post on the new forum. Stupid Star Wars...

katbeth

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Welcome anyway!

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 am

If this means IV-VI getting full film restorations for BluRay, then I'm on board.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 am

That's really never going to happen. The negatives are gone. The only negative master that exists any more is for the Special Editions.

ETA: It's more accurate to say that the negatives have been permanently altered. When the films were restored in 1997, the parts of the film with new effects work were replaced and the original negatives were excised and remained untouched. Basically, to remake the originals you'd have to ask yourself "Which originals" to start - even before the Special Editions, Star Wars had gone through several iterations, including the addition of the subtitle "Episode IV: A New Hope", which had not been part of the original print run. Then they would basically have to take all the work they did in 1997, throw it out, and start from scratch - after, that is, they locate the original negatives that they cut out.

Long story short - it is, in theory, possible, to recreate or at least reapproximate the original cut(s) of the films. But the labor and resources required to do it are crazy intensive and I doubt very much that the vocal segment of fandom that keeps bringing it up alone would offset the costs to make it a profitable endeavor. Will Disney do it for posterity? Maybe. But as a business decision, it's not likely.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top