The Star Wars Saga

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  The Dude on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:22 pm

You're telling me some Jefferson Starship or twenty minutes of Wookie grunting wouldn't have improved the prequels?
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm saying if Jar Jar Binks had looked at the camera and said "Fucka you-sa, I gotten your moneys" it still would have gone down better than anything about the holiday special, including that fugly Boba Fett cartoon.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:30 pm

The Dude wrote:the teaser cuts off Han in midsentence. He really says "Chewy we're home... just in time for Life Day."

hee.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Melk wrote:Revenge of the Sith is definitely the best of the prequels, but it just falls off so badly at the end. Padme dying of a broken heart in her absurd metal birthing skirt thing is beyond ridiculous, and I just cannot with Darth Vader throwing his hands up and yelling 'nooooooooo'.

Yeah the "no" was just really dumb. I burst into laughter in the theater. The end end was good though, when the babies were delivered to the adoptive parents. Although it always throws me off because Beru looks like a teenager and in "A New Hope' she looks 60. And people talk about Obi-Wan aging a lot in the desert.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:16 pm

UV rays will really age you and Tatooine does have two suns. I guess Tatooineans don't believe in sunscreen.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:21 pm

death stix are a hell of drug.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:31 pm

The Dude wrote:death stix are a hell of drug.

Aunt Beru would never! Although I am a little suspicious of what was in that milk she poured for dinner.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 pm

xyzzy wrote:
When it comes to the plot, Lucas has a full treatment for the next film and at least an outline for the following two episodes, as well as ideas for more. He also noted during the announcement that there are tons of books and comics and other materials that could be adapted in the future. But this initial trilogy is not to be based on any currently existing work, such as Timothy Zahn’s “Thrawn” (or “Heir to the Empire”) trio of books, which take place relatively soon after the events of “Return of the Jedi.”
Source: Star Wars Episode VII Plot: What Will The New Film Be About (And Who Will Direct It)?

I would have been up for watching Jacen Solo become a Sith Lord, but who the hell knows what Lucas had in mind.

quoting from three years ago cause I'm re-reading this thread.

I was not a fan of that, simply because if you have this powerful family going evil every other generation, well, I wouldn't blame the galaxy if they were like, "okay, just kill all the skywalkers again, since they KEEP GOING UEBER EVIL ON US."

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:32 am

So I saw TFA today. Very good! Going again tomorrow. I don't yet know where it sits in the list of my favourite SW movies, but no lower than position four. That beats all the prequels, plus the Clone Wars animated movie. It's something I have to think about for a while.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:00 am

I have so many feels and thoughts.

After seeing it twice...:
The second time, the moment Han and Chewie split up, I was a wreck. And the way Han puts his hand on "Ben"s cheek... GOD, JJ, WAY TO PACK MORE EMOTION IN ONE MINUTE THAN THE ENTIRE REST OF THE SAGA COMBINED.

And Luke, at the end... he looks so sad. Like he's been sitting on a bunch of potential visions of the future and he knows what happened to Han the instant he sees Rey has Anakin's lightsaber.

And there's so much more I could talk about. Snoke has to be like 3 inches tall, right? And I'm both super glad and also a little disappointed that Rey and Finn don't kiss when they reunite on Starkiller Base. And Poe and Finn are best bros forever and I love that. MORE POE IN 8 PLEASE!!!!!! And on and on and on and on and on.....

And I don't give a shit if this was mostly a remake. I feel like JJ needed it to be in order to course correct from the prequels.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:23 am

I have a lot of feels that boil down to
that scene:
and my opinion of fuck that, fuck all of that, fuck!
. The rest was great, the actors were excellent, I'm just so
Spoiler:
mad they killed Han. So mad. I figured out the moment he and his son were on screen together, but SO MAD.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:24 pm

We went to an early bird screening this morning. One of the kids behind us ran out of the screen EVERY SINGLE TIME Rylo Ken appeared on screen. I think there was more going on there though because they arrived late with the dad, the trailers were on and I think he was spooked by the darkness and the fact that his Dad was five people ahead of him so he had to be coaxed in to watch it and the dad must have watched the first ten minutes of the film watching it from the door.

Anyway,
about THAT scene:
as soon as Han stepped onto that bridge, I was internally shrieking "WTF SOLO DO YOU NOT REMEMBER THE LAST TIME SOMEONE STEPPED ON A BRIDGE FACING A GUY STEEPED IN THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE????" ThenTHAT happened and my mother turned and gave me a glare as though I had known about this and never told her. I did not know. We have been a spoiler free household.

Loved Finn and Rey. Loved what they added, love how they were portrayed, love how they acted off one another, love love love!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:09 pm

I didn't see it but I spoiled myself up the wazoo and I guess we shoulda known
Spoiler:
Harrison Ford would only appear in another SW film if they killed Han off, heh. I'm not mad because I figured if one of them was gonna die it was gonna be him, but I figured it would be in a later film, I'm just sorry that the original trio won't have a reunion. And also it's a pretty shitty way to die, I was hoping it was be more bittersweet and less tragic. All I know is LUKE BETTER GIVE LEIA A VERY LARGE HUG IN THE NEXT FILM.

Everyone says it was good and I'm sure it was but there are just some things that the fangirl in me hates.
Spoiler:
I super hate that Luke hasn't gotten to re-build the Jedi order. I mean, I know he could still do it but damn it, it makes me sad.
At least there were some good times I guess before Kylo Ren had to be a dick, I guess?
Spoiler:
I wonder what his fate is though? If he does ever turn back to the good side, won't the fact that he killed his dad kinda be unbearable for him?

And I had a super random question:
Spoiler:
If Rey is Luke's daughter, and they say Mara Jade was her mother, but movie Mara Jade is NOT a redhead (because it's not likely a brunette would come from a redhead/blond), would that still piss Mara fans off? heh.

Not so random:
Spoiler:
shouldn't Ben/Kylo also really want to kill Leia? she might not be trained like Luke is she's still supposed to be nearly as powerful. It just seems kinda weird . . . yeah your dad and uncle gotta die but your force-sensitive mom can live if you don't manage to find her, it's cool. Or did I miss something in my spoiler search?

I do like that Leia is finally called Organa officially in canon. Random, but there it is.

re: the soundtrack, I was reading reviews and most of them were saying that this was the weakest of the film scores. Meh, cut the guy a break, I say. Dude is 83 and this is the 7th movie. From what I heard it sounded decent, and I thought Rey's theme was nice.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

ulkis, regarding that Leia query:
Spoiler:
there was a lot of emphasis on "He's your son, Han!" etc. Perhaps a person could fanwank theorise that Ben/Kylo Ren would never go after Leia because she is Vader's daughter and he's a huge fanboy of his grandfather. He turned against Luke but he didn't kill him. He might have tried to - it'll be interesting to hear more about how that particular encounter went down - but he didn't. So maybe his hologram mentor dude said "oh you like Vader? Come with me and I'll totally teach you how to use the DArk Side and you know, once you're really a Dark Lord, you can convince your uncle and mother to join us and the Vader legacy will be complete and we'll rule the galaxy". But in his diary, he writes "Dear Diary, I really don't give a shit about the mother, I'll probably kill her, but his father might be able to compete with me as a influential male figure in his life so he really has to go. Also I hate smugglers. They're such twits".

What?? It could be a thing!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Hee. I'll take it. I suppose it's also possible that
Spoiler:
Luke and Leia couldn't bring themselves to kill Kylo but neither was Kylo was powerful enough to defeat them. Maybe Han is the only one he had the power to kill.

Also, is he just
Spoiler:
willfully ignoring Vader saved Luke's life? Is he like "yeah grandpa just made a mistake there, he totally would have taken it back if he had lived!"

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:12 pm

I think so. I think his whole worldview in that regard is quite skewed by the influence of Supreme Leader Snoke.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Darn Snoke. not only has he apparently convinced Ben Vader had good times being trapped in a mechanical suit with Palpatine for his only company, but that Kylo isn't a totally doofy name. (I'll give the EU this: Cadeus, slightly less doofy. Although neither is as doofy as Dooku.)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:52 pm

I just imagined
Spoiler:
that Luke hadn't told anyone, except maybe Leia, about Vader turning away from the dark side at the very end. Maybe Kylo Ren thinks Luke killed the Emperor and Vader?
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Spoiler:
But Kylo knew Vader was his grandfather before Snoke got to him (do I have that right?)*. It wouldn't make sense for Luke and Leia to tell him that but not tell the whole story. It would make sense if they never told him Anakin turned into Vader, but apparently they did, so why would they not tell the rest of it?

*At least, that is what wookiepedia says:

However, Ben was drawn to the dark side as a result of his obsession with the legacy of his grandfather, Darth Vader. Believing he was too weak to live up to his grandfather as a Jedi, Ben was lured to the dark side by a mysterious Force-user named Snoke.

Unless someone is just making shit up which is entirely possible. Or it was only in the novelization or something

Maybe he thinks Luke is lying about someone being able to come back from the dark side. I think that is more likely if the above is true.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:58 am

My one bitch (while minor bitch, given my large main one
Spoiler:
about killing Han, was that Kylo (and Rey)'s back stories were non-existent. So we have no idea when Kylo went evil. He knew his ancestry and seemed to have daddy-issues and granddaddy envy, but no details. How long was Luke supposed to be gone for?
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:17 am

I'm guessing at most around 15 years. If Kylo was born not long after "return of the jedi", and if we're generous we can say he managed to kill all his fellow Jedi trainees at 15 or so.

But man. Leia. It makes me so sad. Her son went evil. Her husband and brother pretty much left her. SOMEONE GIVE LEIA A HUG. More of them, since I know she got some in the movie.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:39 am

I do wonder how much of the story hews with Lucas' vision for what was supposed to happen after ROTJ. I mean since he planned everything meticulously even the crap that contradicts itself!
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:39 pm

The Dude wrote:I do wonder how much of the story hews with Lucas' vision for what was supposed to happen after ROTJ. I mean since he planned everything meticulously even the crap that contradicts itself!

He said they didn't use his story at all, so I guess not much of it.

It does seem like they looked to the EU for some ideas but maybe having one of the next generation go dark side would have been a fairly obvious idea to use even without the EU for inspiration, I suppose.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I saw the original Star Wars movie in the theater when I was a kid, and I was horrified when Han Solo took his reward and left Luke and Leia at the end.  Adult Me would have seen it coming, but Kid Me was BLOWN AWAY when the Millennium Falcon swooped in at the last minute and saved Luke.  I talked about it endlessly, and probably spoiled the movie for everyone I encountered for the next two weeks.

That said:
Spoiler:
While Kid Me might have held out hope, Adult Me knew Han was a goner the minute he stepped onto that bridge.  And as much as I'm a sucker for a redemption arc, I am NOT HERE for a happy ending for that punk. I knew it was coming - part of me knew it was coming before I even entered the theater, but dammit, Han Solo is one of my all-time favorite fictional characters.

The only thing was would have been worse was if the rumors of Luke turning to the Dark Side were true.  That would have caused Man of Steel-level flames on the side of my face.

Over all, I liked it, and will probably see it again once the crowds die down. It was very much a "opening chapter," but I suppose that was inevitable.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Oh yeah, as much as I have fangirl problems with a lot of stuff that happened, Luke
Spoiler:
going dark side would have pissed me off the most. I'm glad that didn't even seem to be in question . . . I didn't really believe it anyway, but there was 1% of me that was a little afraid they'd go there.

I'm thinking maybe
Spoiler:
Kylo Ren doesn't have to get a happy ending per se but maybe some sort of "is condemned to wander the galaxy for the rest of his days as an outcast in contemplation for his sins" kinda ending. Or he's an impostor or brainwashed or something, but that may be too much of a cheat. But I dunno, I just need some sort of happiness for Leia here.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top