The Star Wars Saga

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  big chicken on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:42 pm

bookworm wrote:Anyone else think "Keira Knightly?" every time Rey was on screen?

When I first say Ridley's picture after she was announced as part of the cast, I thought the article had accidentally put up a picture of Natalie Portman instead.

big chicken

Posts : 683
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  bookworm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Sadly she has similar voice, mannerisms, and facial expressions to Kiera Knightly. I spent the whole movie wondering if she had a sister.
avatar
bookworm

Posts : 1082
Join date : 2011-10-22
Age : 37
Location : Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  RiverThames on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:08 pm

So, maybe Rey is the granddaughter of Padme's decoy, who must have been, like, her cousin or something, so Rey is Luke's second-cousin-once-removed.
avatar
RiverThames

Posts : 854
Join date : 2011-10-21
Age : 44
Location : Austin, TX

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  BrightEyes on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:19 pm

ulkis wrote:
Well, to be fair, there were
Spoiler:
non-Skywalker jedi/force-sensitives, just Kylo Ren killed them all again. And now since Luke is in exile no one is searching out for any new force-sensitives (and Kylo is probably killing any he finds some more). But your point still stands.

I read something that theorized that
Spoiler:
the First Order was searching out Force-sensitive babies (Finn) and kidnapping them, training them to be Stormtroopers so there wouldn't be anybody left to train as new Jedi.

I hope that
Spoiler:
Rey is NOT Han and Leia's daughter. It just doesn't make any sense to me. The more I think about it, I think she's Luke's daughter and Kylo Ren dumped her on Jakku because he couldn't bear to kill his cousin/Vader's other grandchild.

I thought all the newcomers were awesome, especially Adam Driver.

BrightEyes

Posts : 262
Join date : 2011-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:51 pm

I went in warily, having been disappointed before, but I absolutely loved it. Such a breath of fresh air with an ethnically and gender diverse cast. I especially loved the character of Maz and I really hope she's in the next films.
avatar
naughty zoot

Posts : 1097
Join date : 2011-10-21
Location : Western Mass

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Gillian on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 pm

I've seen each Star Wars movie exactly once. I respect it's place in pop culture, but I have no emotional attachment to it. That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. The characters were a ton of fun, which was NOT the case with any of the prequels, so I'm on board for future movies.

My only request for future movies is MORE POE. My god, that is a handsome, charismatic man. That's how Han and Leia's kid should have turned out!

Gillian

Posts : 472
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  year of the cat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:47 am

Every body is bitching about call-backs to ANH- but to be honest, I saw more Raiders scenes than Star Wars.
:
Mas shouting at Han was the same as Indy's entrance scene to Marion's bar, and she has the saber, just as Marion had the medallion.  I don't have a problem with it. (except I am full up on Death Stars.)
avatar
year of the cat

Posts : 390
Join date : 2011-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  ulkis on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Gillian wrote:I've seen each Star Wars movie exactly once.  I respect it's place in pop culture, but I have no emotional attachment to it.  That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.  The characters were a ton of fun, which was NOT the case with any of the prequels, so I'm on board for future movies.

My only request for future movies is MORE POE.  My god, that is a handsome, charismatic man.  That's how Han and Leia's kid should have turned out!

Maybe he can be Han's love child with a woman pre-Leia lol.

But the question of who Rey is*, it just kinda makes me wish some more than Luke and Leia (and Han) accomplished what they set out to do and some new trouble was setting in. I dunno, it kinda seems like they didn't resolve the old generation's story in order to kinda do a reboot. Just because I was thinking, who is going to redeem Kylo Ren? Because I do think he will be redeemed. And it seems to me the person who should be able to do that is Leia, but they can't really do that (at least I don't think so) because that would be taking the spotlight off the new generation.

I don't know, just worrying prematurely. Fans never do that! ;)

*Whoever she is, neice or daughter, I do find it weird Han and Leia wouldn't know and tell her, whichever one she is. If she's niece, I still find it weird they don't tell her, unless they don't know. Maybe Leia wanted Luke to be the one to break the news, but still, the sooner the better, I'd say.

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Coneycat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I saw this yesterday with a friend-- first Star Wars movie I've seen since Empire, although I've seen Star Wars about a dozen times over the years. (It's my favourite space-western. My friend is a big fan, and at one point she asked me whether I'd seen A New Hope-- I double-clutched for a second before I realized which movie she meant.)

(I should remark, I saw Star Wars at the age of ten, in the theatre, and was just about at the point where I could appreciate that Han Solo was fine. So my love of the original movie had several dimensions!)

I really, really liked it, especially Finn/Rey's relationship: both those actors were frigging precious. And now I better go to spoiler cuts for anything else I might say:

My spoilery thoughts, let me show you them:
I was absolutely not expecting Han and Chewie to be all over the movie. I thought they would get a glorified cameo, so my joy was unrestrained. Han Solo is still fine. Also, Rey scampering around trying to impress him was one of the cutest things I have seen this year. I was deeply relieved when Finn confessed to his stormtrooper past, before he got in too deep. I wish John Boyega had been able to play the role in his own accent, because I love his real accent. But the scene where Finn and Rey both talk at once, bragging on their exploits in that first adventure in the Millenium Falcon and congratulating each other? Hugs all around!

Speaking as someone who has been known to root for both Loki and also Richard III, I had no sympathy whatsoever for Kylo Ren and by the time he battled Rey it was all I could do to keep from shouting "Hit the punk again!" at her. I thought Adam Driver did a great job with the character, and the evil-emo thing was a neat change from Vader's evil cool. However, I too knew what was coming when Han stepped out on that bridge and now I want everyone in the classic cast, and also Finn and Rey, to get a chance to punch Kylo Ren.

I have to admit, I am thoroughly over "Nazi iconography coupled with British villains" and in fact have been over it since shortly after I saw Star Wars for the first time, but Domnhall Gleeson was very effective as the evil general. I hope we see him again.

I am not sure the Resistance fighter base was supposed to remind me of, like, Biggin Hill, but I think I saw X-Wings in blast pens as the pilots came out to the line. And I was reminded of how upset I was in the first movie, when they were making the run on the Death Star and so many of them got shot down. That sequence bothered me for YEARS. I wasn't quite was upset this time but I did keep track of pilots and winced a lot.

I didn't foresee Rey being strong in the Force, but when she came onscreen I did think, "Hey, her costume reminds me of Luke in the first movie!" so that was fun. And I really enjoyed the scene where she uses the Force for the first time.

BB 8 was cute in the R2-D2 mode, worked well, and was actually a pretty practical design for scampering around in the desert.

Overall, I found the movie did a good job capturing the spirit of the first movie, playful and likable and actually presenting me with characters I wanted to root for, rather than placeholders for plot. I want to see more of Rey and Finn and everyone, which isn't a feeling I've had about this franchise in a very long time. So, well done, I say.


Last edited by Coneycat on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Coneycat

Posts : 536
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  RiverThames on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I do have a bit of an issue with Domnhall Gleeson being REALLY young to be "General" Hux (though the SW Universe passes around the title "General" around like it's candy on Halloween), but it does seem like the whole First Order is really young. I wonder if that's a textual choice that means something, or if it's just casting a New Generation and it's something of an oversight. But no one in the First Order has that Grand Moff Tarkin gravitas.
avatar
RiverThames

Posts : 854
Join date : 2011-10-21
Age : 44
Location : Austin, TX

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Coneycat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:49 pm

RiverThames wrote:I do have a bit of an issue with Domnhall Gleeson being REALLY young to be "General" Hux (though the SW Universe passes around the title "General" around like it's candy on Halloween), but it does seem like the whole First Order is really young.   I wonder if that's a textual choice that means something, or if it's just casting a New Generation and it's something of an oversight.  But no one in the First Order has that Grand Moff Tarkin gravitas.

I thought the same thing about Gleeson's age, and wondered whether there had been battlefield promotions or something like that. Which would indicate the First Order is maybe not doing quite as well, militarily speaking, as they might want us to believe.

Coneycat

Posts : 536
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  QueenSix on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:49 pm

He's 32 apparently. I honestly thought he was only on his late twenties. So maybe he was fast tracked as a general? Or they were all very young when they got caught up in The First Order ideology so have been around since the beginning which is why Hux got promoted so quickly and explains why nobody is like Grand Moff Tarkin because they haven't been in it that long. Because if you remember the ending of Revenge of the Sith (and lord knows, we all do) Tarkin is standing with the newly unveiled Darth Vader and Palpatine. Which might make Tarkin the Hux of that particular storyline. I dunno, I have a lot of thoughts about Star Wars it seems.

QueenSix

Posts : 1313
Join date : 2011-10-22
Location : City of the Tribes, West of Ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  BrightEyes on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:47 am

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, especially "The Jedi Steps and Finale". It's so lovely and epic.

I'm really glad that instead of being a stone-cold badass, Kylo Ren
Spoiler:
is a whiny Vader fanboy. It's actually scarier to me, because you can see in his face that he will do anything to become like his grandfather. Desperate people are scary. And he's not good at everything; while he's very good at mind control, he's OK at best with a lightsaber. I do think that Rey, if she is Luke's daughter, was probably trained some as a Jedi before she got dumped on Jakku and then had her mind erased. She had a very "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" moment when she was kicking Kylo Ren's ass.

BrightEyes

Posts : 262
Join date : 2011-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 pm

I am also loving the soundtrack. Got it on repeat at work. My husband busted me humming a bit of "The Scavenger" while making dinner tonight.

We took my dad to see it this weekend. (He's been trying for 30 years to get my mom into Star Wars, but to no avail.) There were three little kids behind us at the theater dressed as Captain Phasma, Kylo Ren, and a stormtrooper. SO CUTE OMG. As we were walking out after we told them they were really scary up on the big screen and Phasma gave us all hugs. I DIE.
avatar
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-10-21
Age : 33
Location : Suburban Chicago

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  ulkis on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am

aw, that's friggin adorable.

I saw some "Rey is probably a Skywalker because Star Wars has always been about the Skywalkers" and it's those kind of statements that make me not want her to be Luke's daughter . . . Leia and Ben are Skywalkers too! darn patrilineal thinking. (Or would it be patriarchal?)

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  SNeaker on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Yeah, but Ben's the villain, and Rey appears to be the main protagonist. If she is not a Skywalker or Solo, then the Skywalker family dies with Ben when he's taken down (even if he has a redemption before death like Vader, I don't see him going on to have a life and family after having killed his own father), and the legacy ends not in the hope of Luke and Leia and their goodness, but...emo Kylo Ren.

I prefer her to be Leia and Han's daughter so they can have produced something good and because sister vs. brother holds more interest to me than cousins, but if she isn't theirs or Luke's then I don't even see the point.

SNeaker

Posts : 94
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  ulkis on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm

SNeaker wrote:Yeah, but Ben's the villain, and Rey appears to be the main protagonist. If she is not a Skywalker or Solo, then the Skywalker family dies with Ben when he's taken down (even if he has a redemption before death like Vader, I don't see him going on to have a life and family after having killed his own father), and the legacy ends not in the hope of Luke and Leia and their goodness, but...emo Kylo Ren.

I prefer her to be Leia and Han's daughter so they can have produced something good and because sister vs. brother holds more interest to me than cousins, but if she isn't theirs or Luke's then I don't even see the point.

Oh no, I agree . . . I should clarify in the review they mentioned Rey possibly being Han and Leia's, and THEN they say but it looks more likely she's a Skywalker because the franchise has always been about Skywalkers. They dismissed a kid of Han and Leia as being a Skywalker.

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  SNeaker on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Oh. Yeah, that is ridiculous. Heh.

SNeaker

Posts : 94
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  vwlphb on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 pm

SNeaker wrote:I prefer her to be Leia and Han's daughter so they can have produced something good and because sister vs. brother holds more interest to me than cousins, but if she isn't theirs or Luke's then I don't even see the point.
I kept thinking that too, because I grew up reading the Star Wars Expanded Universe and Jaina Solo was always my favorite. So I might be a bit biased. But it would be pretty weird if she was his sister and nobody mentioned anything even hinting at it in the movie.

vwlphb

Posts : 444
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  ulkis on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 am

Yeah, but Ben's the villain, and Rey appears to be the main protagonist. If she is not a Skywalker or Solo, then the Skywalker family dies with Ben when he's taken down (even if he has a redemption before death like Vader, I don't see him going on to have a life and family after having killed his own father), and the legacy ends not in the hope of Luke and Leia and their goodness, but...emo Kylo Ren.

I did want to add that while I do think Rey is/should be a descendant, I do think if Leia and Luke eventually re-established the Jedi/finally got rid of the empire, it would be enough of a legacy, although I guess it would be depressing if the line ended in Kylo Ren, like you said.

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  The Dude on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Rey is Luke and Leia's incest dumpster baby.
avatar
The Dude

Posts : 1141
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 43
Location : Peoples Republic of Boulder, South Rectangle

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  ulkis on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 pm

The Dude wrote:Rey is Luke and Leia's incest dumpster baby.

I'm not ruling it out!

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  BrightEyes on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:37 pm

My emotions!

BrightEyes

Posts : 262
Join date : 2011-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  ulkis on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:52 am

awww.


Last edited by ulkis on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 am

Okay, let's talk about the side movies. Anthologies, or whatever they're calling them today. Rogue One was IMO very good. Han Solo is up next. I have very little interest in his past, and I don't want it to be too continuity-heavy. Boba Fett and Obi-Wan are rumoured to be in the planning stage. Some people think that Vader needs his own movie. Why? In one form or another, he's already been in seven movies, three cartoon series, and a bunch of comics. What more is there to say about him? Oh, let's show him killing people and making one-liners. How is that different from infinite action comedies? I just feel that we should give the spotlight to someone less known. Rogue One introduced a whole bunch of new characters, and it did pretty well.

That said, I have a scene I want to see, though I know it'll never happen. A flash sideways force vision. What could have been. No more than a minute or two. No words. Anakin and Padme having just a regular domestic life. We'd see young Luke, Leia, and just to twist the knife, a third child. I don't know how this could come about, but that's what I'd do given the chance.

Red Wolf

Posts : 693
Join date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum