Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Star Wars Saga

+38
Gillian
naughty zoot
bookworm
QueenSix
Agent Sculder
Fraoch
Grainne Mhaol
Eris Rising
blixie
The Glen
Count_Bloodcount
ActonBell
Jamie
Binky
Putli Bai
Poubelle
Unlucky Bear
inversed
ulkis
Matinee
RiverThames
Melk
Paris, Texas
sagitare
Case
particle_person
katbeth
xyzzy
vwlphb
big chicken
Carrie Ann
punzy
DarkSpork
Luthien
Wildog27
laddical
Red Wolf
The Dude
42 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Star Wars Saga - Page 4 Empty Re: The Star Wars Saga

Post  Red Wolf Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm

More!

Disney are planning standaline SW movies, with involvement by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Interesting news, but there's not really much to go on right now. Hard to have an opinion just yet. Probably won't stop a lot of people, though.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 am

I used to love Star Wars so much, but it's funny how much the prequels managed to kill my love for this franchise. They could announce that Justin Beiber was playing Luke Skywalker and I couldn't even work up any outrage.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:45 pm

That's tragic news. There's a cure available, if you want. Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire, followed by the complete runs of John Jackson Miller's Knights of the Old Republic and John Ostrander's Legacy comic series.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29 pm

I seriously didn't care at all about these movie, but according to i09, there are rumors going around that John Noble might play the villain. Darth Walternate, anyone?
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 pm

JJ Abrams is a very actor-oriented director who likes to recycle his people. Hell, I'm fairly certain there's going to be Tom Cruise rumors around this movie before all is said and done.

Oh, the tears of fandom will be delicious when that gets going.

Ahem.

Anyway, John Noble would be an awesome villain in anything, so I'd love it to happen. I'm also hoping he can maybe get Karl Urban, Anna Torv, Zoe Saldana, or Victor Garber in there somewhere.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Count_Bloodcount Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:17 am

I am a fan of the entire SW saga. Yes, the entire saga, prequels included. I'm sick of apologizing for it. My favorite movie of the saga is an Original Trilogy movie (ESB), but then, so is my least favorite of the saga (ROTJ). I like Jar Jar. I like Jake Lloyd. I like Hayden Christensen. I'm not crazy about Natalie Portman, but I think she gives a fine performance in Episode I, and also in the cut scenes of Episode II and III.

There are a lot of kids who love the entire saga...they grew up with it much the same as people of my generation (I'm almost 41) grew up with the Original Trilogy. My 10-year-old nephew LOVES the entire SW saga, and talks about it with his friends at school.

Count_Bloodcount

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Nooooooooo!!!!

(Joking)

I don't think there's anything to apologise for in liking them, though I could never sit down and watch more than ten minutes of those things. I think the main issue most people have with the films is that they're so deathly dull because the story arc and characters were (as I see it anyway) the last thing on Lucas's mind.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 am

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:24 pm

So apparently Star Wars canon now includes the Expanded Universe. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that because there have been some good EU plots and some not as good ones. I guess we'll see what Disney does with that.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm not sure that actually marks a change. The stance has always been that "it all happened". With the exception of the original Marvel comics, everything was considered "canon", and if there were any discrepancies, those were usually cleared up in subsequent works via retcon. And even parts of the original Marvel comics had started to creep into the canon, since Lady Lumiya (Shira Brie) was a pivotal character in the "Legacy of the Force" series.

So this may mark an official change on the weight of the EU versus the weight of the movies, but it doesn't actually change anything because the EU has been a carefully curated part of the canon since "Heir to the Empire" was published.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Wildog27 wrote:So apparently Star Wars canon now includes the Expanded Universe. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that because there have been some good EU plots and some not as good ones. I guess we'll see what Disney does with that.
Yeah, but there have also been some good movie plots and some not as good ones.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:05 am

meh. Not really a fan of the EU. boo.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:21 am

The EU is officially not canon. While certain points, plots, or characters might be used, the only official history from the past is Eps 1-6, Clone Wars, and the stuff that comes next, including Rebels.

I think this is the right choice. There is some good stuff in the EU, and I primarily credit Timothy Zahn and the Heir to the Empire series with rekindling interest in Star Wars in the 90s that led us to where we are today. For the most part, though, the EU is filled with inconsistency, contradictions, and funkiness. I'm glad too that there will be some guiding of where everything goes from here.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkSpork Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:31 am

It's 200% the right choice, and I'm just glad they've finally come out and said it.

DarkSpork

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:52 am

Yeah, I'm not surprised. My first thought was that they'd treat the EU as a source of ideas, but not canon. Sort of like the Marvel movies vs the comics.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 am

I'm glad. The one main thing I disliked about the EU is it was almost like things afterwards got even worse, this negating the whole original trilogy.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 pm

The cast is announced. Or at least the actors are named, we have no reference point to who they are playing in the story, which is thankfully IMO being written by Kasdan and Abrams. Hopefully more Kasdan than Abrams (or Lucas).

The cast is pretty low/no profile, though they are "working", experienced actors, and while I hate Driver on Girls I was able to appreciate him in Lincoln. Still it would be cool if he's on the Sith side so I can access my hate, letting it flow through  me. I should stop myself from sorting these actors into Luke type's, Han types, and Obi Wan types but I feel like a huge failure of the Lucas films, aside from almost everything, was no Han Solo character. I hope these movies are a lot...shaggier, which I feel like the original trilogy was.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 am

Adam Driver was excellent in Llewellyn Davis and I think my dislike of his work in Girls is about more than just him. Oscar Isaac was excellent as Llewellyn Davis, and I'm really pleased that lately the Coen Brothers seem to be making obscure character actors into, not stars, but known character actors (Michael Stuhlbarg's been doing all right).

I will be pleasantly surprised if Andy Serkis plays an actual human, though I'm not holding my breath. Dude turned in an Oscar-worthy performance in mo-cap (Gollum), I'm sure he'll do a great job with whatever species they have him play.

And we've made so much progress since 1977! Instead of one female character, we get TWO! Battle won, amirite ladies?
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Poubelle wrote:
And we've made so much progress since 1977! Instead of one female character, we get TWO! Battle won, amirite ladies?

If they have any lines (Episode 3, uh-huh, I'm looking at you, only woman with lines was Natalie Portman). Hrmph.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu May 01, 2014 12:48 pm

I like some of the actors chosen, but I still cannot be anything but profoundly disappointed by how sexist this casting is. The argument that there was only one female character in the original trilogy shouldn't mean that the Powers That Be should stick to that -- nearly 40 years on, they can (and should) do better.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 am

If they threw Harrison Ford into a metal thong would that even things up?

College Humor Cantina Band auditions.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Two new castmembers! Lupita Nyong’o and Gwen Christie! This is pretty awesome. I want to see it now!

Oh, and don't bother reading the comments at that link.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 pm

Josh Trank to direct standalone movie!

You know, I'm fine with all these choices. I'm glad we have news. I'm just a little frustrated that it's still 19 months until we get the first movie!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 am

Yeah, but a year ago, we had nothing. And now we have the original cast, shots of the Millennium Falcon, and the awesome new cast members.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:00 pm

That's true. But the wait is so hard! I want to binge on spoilers, but I also want everything to be new and fresh.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next