American Idol

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: American Idol

Post  Eris Rising on Fri May 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:It's so hard to tell if it's actual dislike or just awkward/half-orchestrated gay panic.

It's kind of weird for anyone to leave now since they've just all been there for so long. I do keep expecting Hollie to go, but I guess we have our answer as to who the Haley Reinhart of this season is. (Except I liked Haley's voice better. But Hollie's all right.)

I forgot to mention how I laughed and laughed when Joshua had a bright yellow, springy, daffodilly daffodil in his lapel and Seacrest kept calling it a tulip. I have always had this feeling about Seacrest, that he has these very specific areas that he's absolutely fiendishly good at (and this is perhaps a minority opinion but I really do think he's a pretty sharp guy), but outside of them he's like a homeschooled Siberian husky. Like, "What's the capital of Europe?" "Downton Abbey? Leona Lewis? Gingerbread?"

Hah!

And I'm sure that the gay panic thing is orchestrated by the producers, but I got a vibe of actual irritation with each other. Could be way off on that, and I'm not going to read too much into body language and surly looks, since all of that goes haywire in high-stress environments.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Fri May 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Part of it might be that Joshua appears to have no personality and Phillip appears to have an incredibly dry and sarcastic personality, when he shows one at all. I don't know -- Skylar was the most vivacious of them all, which is makes it such a bummer that she's gone. Jessica and Joshua both pour any oomph they have into their voices and leave little left over for themselves. Hollie seems sort of cute but just nervous. And Phillip acts like he's in a coma most of the time.

I love Hollie's voice, but it seems inevitable to me that she's next because she's too inconsistent and not connecting with the audience, so I do wish Skylar had been able to pull it out.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri May 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Heather wrote:Part of it might be that Joshua appears to have no personality and Phillip appears to have an incredibly dry and sarcastic personality, when he shows one at all. I don't know -- Skylar was the most vivacious of them all, which is makes it such a bummer that she's gone. Jessica and Joshua both pour any oomph they have into their voices and leave little left over for themselves. Hollie seems sort of cute but just nervous. And Phillip acts like he's in a coma most of the time.

I love Hollie's voice, but it seems inevitable to me that she's next because she's too inconsistent and not connecting with the audience, so I do wish Skylar had been able to pull it out.

So do I. As I've stated, she was my sentimental favorite this year, which is odd, since I've never seriously rooted for any country and western-oriented contestant in past seasons.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri May 11, 2012 1:38 pm

And goodbye, Hollie. The top three makes a certain amount of sense. However, this is the first season that I've watched in years where I didn't have a pretty clear idea of who the winner was likely to be.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm kind of annoyed at American Idol right now. They gave Phil a song that was a COMPLETE ripoff of Mumford and Sons. Which is fine, I guess, but, also lame. I actually liked the song. Because I like Mumford and Sons. But we already have them. And then Randy goes "I loved that! It sounded like Mumford and Sons!" Because Randy can only like something if it reminds him of a different artist, preferably one that he has worked with so he can mention that. Then JLo goes "That was great! I can't think of anyone that it sounded like!"

They are all morons. Sometimes I get fed up with the whole thing.

Clearly Phil is going to win. I'm torn because I really am not a big fan of Jessica or her style of singing (those like, '90s pop ballads are musical purgatory for me), but it's annoying that only a WGWG can be successful on this show now.

Mostly I'm grumpy because I miss Josh. At least he got to stay til almost the end.

Seriously though, show.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Wed May 23, 2012 4:10 am

I'm not a fan of Jessica's style, either, but she strikes me as a better performer. Phillips is fine within a limited range, but I actually think that a second place finish would be better for his career than a win would be. Doesn't matter, though, as it seems likely that he'll be crowned tomorrow.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 am

I like Phil from the start so am happy he has a good chance to win - but I am not sure what they will do with him if he wins
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Wed May 23, 2012 2:17 pm

I was a bit meh on both of them last night. They are both very nice and I would be fine with either of them winning, but they didnt seem to want to take any risks and have a big "moment". Jessica's final song was kinda crappy and not really suited for her at all. Phil's song was good for him (or Mumford and Sons or Coldplay) but a bit boring.

I was happy to see Jason Derulo up and "singing" and moving around.

I do love the Finale though. Its usually the best show EVER! Whoever wins is secondary to what odd singers and celebrities they drag out to sing with the kids.
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm

I was totally convinced that Phillip was throwing it last night, until his last song. It's not that I thought Jessica was so great, but I thought he was TOTALLY flat until the Mumford knock-off. And also, he had a marching band. If anything says, "The show is hoping you win," it's giving you a marching band and nothing to the other person.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 pm

MichiSichi wrote:I like Phil from the start so am happy he has a good chance to win - but I am not sure what they will do with him if he wins

Considering the fact that one of the top contenders for Best Idol Ever (Fantasia Barrino) had one of the slowest out of the gate careers, I agree that this is a concern for his fans.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  FiggyPudding on Wed May 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Aww, that was sweet. And for the first time in history I like the Idol coronation song.

FiggyPudding

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu May 24, 2012 3:24 am

FiggyPudding wrote:Aww, that was sweet. And for the first time in history I like the Idol coronation song.

It was surprisingly good, wasn't it? I'll even go so far as to say that the last few minutes of the episode contained more genuine emotion than the rest of the season combined. However, I'm a bit put off by the sameness among the past several winners.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Nedsdag on Thu May 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Long time lurker.

I didn't see last night's show, but I must admit the coronation song is growing on me. The reason being is that I've heard this type of song sang by others in the past which means our winner is going to have a tough go of it on the musical landscape. What does he bring to the table?

He just said in a press conference he wants to write songs that are different than his coronation song. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

Congratulations, Phillip, I guess.

Nedsdag

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 pm

He just said in a press conference he wants to write songs that are different than his coronation song. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.
Especially when they bothered to find a good song for him instead of the usual schlock about dreams and moments and rainbows. Practically all the Idol winners have hated their coronation songs but the rest have been more diplomatic about it less than a day after winning. But I suspect we're in for more foot-in-mouth comments and a battle with the label about his musical direction from our original artiste. At least the off-season is going to be entertaining!

Ace's proposal to Diana almost didn't happen:
But DeGarmo, 24, who was "completely caught off guard," almost thwarted Young's big plan at the last minute.

"I actually almost got up to go to the bathroom to fix my hair," she said, laughing.
I cringed a little bit when he namedropped the ring designer in the middle of it but thought it was a sweet moment overall.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Thu May 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I didn't see the proposal, but did read what he said and also cringed major at the name-dropping. But, hey, neither have made it big. They are working actor-singers with a little bit of success. Do what you gotta do to get your fiance a nice ring.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Thu May 24, 2012 9:05 pm

American Idol put the proposal video on their Youtube page. Just dead at Ryan doing the "Dim the lights, here we go," routine complete with the results music playing in the background, and the "you're safe" ditty after she said yes. He was so nervous and they're adorable. It's surprising that more couples haven't come out of Idol through the years.

Some gifs from the Jennifer Holliday/Jessica duet.

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Thu May 24, 2012 10:51 pm

GoodbyeWithWords wrote:It's surprising that more couples haven't come out of Idol through the years.
There have been a few, even if we're not counting blind items. David Cook dated Kimberly Caldwell, Trenyce admitted to sleeping with Corey Clark but denied the threesome-with-Kim-Caldwell rumor, Jessica Sierra dated Nikko Smith, Haley Reinhart is/was dating Stefano Langone but he had a thing with Pia first before she dumped him for Mark Ballas of DWTS, Haley Scarnato allegedly hooked up with Blake during their summer tour, there were heavy rumors about Justin and Kelly during/after S1 which they denied but c'mon, look at how happy he was for her when she won, you can't tell me there wasn't some attraction. It might have been fleeting, but it was there. Ditto with the whole Lauren/Scotty kiss/love you baby at last year's finale.

Some gifs from the Jennifer Holliday/Jessica duet.
Jennifer Holliday makes some terrifying faces. I think I just watched her sing in disbelief (the same thing I felt when I saw what Fantasia was wearing!)

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri May 25, 2012 11:03 am

TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Fri May 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Surgeries or procedures? I would think with that many surgeries, even outpatient ones, that he'd have had to drop out weeks ago. Either way, that's a lot to be dealing with. No wonder he missed so many of those Ford ads!

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm

I think Haley is dating Casey now.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Nedsdag on Fri May 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Heather wrote:I think Haley is dating Casey now.

Isn't she dating Stefano?

Nedsdag

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:It turns out Phil had 8 surgeries during his run on Idol dude!
Wow! I did notice that he was gone for long stretches of the finale and by the end they had him sitting for his duet with Jessica.

Trenyce admitted to sleeping with Corey Clark but denied the threesome-with-Kim-Caldwell rumor
Ewww, the Corey who said he hooked up with Paula Abdul? I guess he wasn't bad looking but the way he made his allegations and tried to cash in with that Paulatics song made him seem so sleazy to me.

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Sat May 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Haley and Casey just had musical chemistry, alas. Haley went to James Durbin's wedding with Stefano and James even commented on them dating though he backtracked later. She also went to Idol when Stefano performed his cheesy song (now with cheesy video) on the results show last month.

Phillip is reportedly having surgery next week. Originally, he was supposed to do the New York media tour the winner and runner up do and then have surgery, but he must be in too much pain. The recovery can take up to six weeks!

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed May 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh, yeah, I knew they weren't dating on the show -- I had read somewhere that they were dating, around the time he showed up for her performance on Idol. But that person must've just mixed up names between Stefano and Casey (however unbelievable that seems).

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm

"Home" got off to a big start:
Phillip Phillips' "Home" sold 278K digital copies in its first week, more than any other coronation song (an official single celebrating the winner's victory) in American Idol history. The old record was held by David Cook's "The Time Of My Life," which sold 236K copies in its first week in 2008.

"Home" enters Hot Digital Songs at #2, close behind Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe," which grows to 301K in its second week on top. "Home" enters the Hot 100 at #10. It's the first Idol coronation song to crack the top 10 since Cook's hit, which debuted and peaked at #3.

Of the hundreds of songs that have been released by artists who rose to fame on American Idol, only one has sold more digital copies in one week than "Home" did this week. That's Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You," which opened with sales of 280K in January 2009.
I guess Phillip is just going to have to deal and sing this one, at least through the summer tour.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top