Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Literary Opinions You Hold

+27
Cynara
The Dude
punkysdilemma
Grainne Mhaol
Disclaimer
Snarker
SelfAmused
Jasmine
Luthien
Swarley
Scarlettfish
tiller
BreezyK
mokey75
oxymoron
bbridges
dinahmoe
punzy
queenofdenile
ulkis
whatthedeuce
big chicken
Esseilte
Unlucky Bear
Instant Monkeys
Red Wolf
Crowbridge
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Unpopular Literary Opinions You Hold - Page 2 Empty Re: Unpopular Literary Opinions You Hold

Post  queenofdenile Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 am

Amy March is much less terrible than a lot of characters I have read in literature, and burning a manuscript as a child is, objectively speaking, not that terrible. But I was a Jo who wrote (and still does write) ALL the time, and I am unable to be objective about someone burning someone else's writing. Kirsten Dunst is the only reason I don't hate Amy.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Literary Opinions You Hold - Page 2 Empty Re: Unpopular Literary Opinions You Hold

Post  Jasmine Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:43 pm

queenofdenile wrote: burning a manuscript as a child is, objectively speaking, not that terrible.

I don't understand those words in that order.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

That whole "Dan's not good enough to even think about being in love with Bess" stuff in Jo's Boys drove me crazy. What's so freaking special about Bess anyway? She's pretty? She's nice? She's got some artistic talent? She doesn't even have a personality!

To be fair, Bess does have a personality. It just sucks. One of my least favorite parts of Jo's Boys would be when she politely informs Dolly and Stuffy (who--again, to be fair--ARE being tools) that she doesn't really know how to talk to them because she's been speaking to "superior" people all her life.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't understand those words in that order.

HEE!

I'm trying to pretend to be fair, okay?!
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 am

We're supposed to believe that Bess is perfect because...everyone loves her. That's basically it. She doesn't need a personality as long as everyone else in the book puts her on a pedestal and lets the reader know she's somehow worthy of adoration.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarker Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 am

I loved Amy March and I'm glad she's the one who got to go to Europe with Aunt March because Jo shot her mouth off.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  Disclaimer Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:17 am

She was my favourite too.

Disclaimer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 pm

I loved The Hunger Games movie and books, and Josh Hutcherson won me over, but I don't get the appeal of BookPeeta at all. He always struck me as a personality-free, milquetoast plot-contrivance, there to keep the love-triangle angle going. He's an okay character, but no foil for Katniss in my opinion. I felt like Collins was trying to shove his awesomeness down our throats to counter the much more natural dynamic between her and Gale. I know that the romance was forced upon Katniss but then Haymitch (I think) says something along the lines of 'You could live a thousand years and never deserve him.' Really? I mean REALLY? I know she's angry and fractured and whatnot, but Peeta isn't Jesus, okay? I think I only started to like him when
Spoiler:
At least he had some dimensions after that. Yes, I was sort of Team Gale.
Grainne Mhaol
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:51 am

I've been trying to get into The Golden Compass for, hm, 150 pages now, and I'm just not feeling it. This book is taking itself way too seriously.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:33 am

I swear Moneyball is the Atlas Shrugged of sports, just without the tease of its insufferable adherents potentially disappearing into the dessert.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:25 pm

I felt bad for being bored to death by Life of Pi when I read it two years ago. I made myself finish the whole thing, but it was agonizing.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 pm

The Dude wrote:I swear Moneyball is the Atlas Shrugged of sports, just without the tease of its insufferable adherents potentially disappearing into the dessert.
Yeah, I gave up on that one about 3/4 the way through, and I LOVE reading about baseball.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 pm

The Dude wrote:I swear Moneyball is the Atlas Shrugged of sports, just without the tease of its insufferable adherents potentially disappearing into the dessert.
I know very little about baseball, but now I have this image of players vanishing into a God-sized bowl of bread pudding or something, like a sugary Field of Dreams but in reverse.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Cynara wrote:
I know very little about baseball, but now I have this image of players vanishing into a God-sized bowl of bread pudding or something, like a sugary Field of Dreams but in reverse.
That actually happened with the Red Sox last year, but instead of pudding, it was fried chicken and beers. And they all ended up in LA.
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Grainne Mhaol wrote:I loved The Hunger Games movie and books, and Josh Hutcherson won me over, but I don't get the appeal of BookPeeta at all. He always struck me as a personality-free, milquetoast plot-contrivance, there to keep the love-triangle angle going. He's an okay character, but no foil for Katniss in my opinion. I felt like Collins was trying to shove his awesomeness down our throats to counter the much more natural dynamic between her and Gale. I know that the romance was forced upon Katniss but then Haymitch (I think) says something along the lines of 'You could live a thousand years and never deserve him.' Really? I mean REALLY? I know she's angry and fractured and whatnot, but Peeta isn't Jesus, okay? I think I only started to like him when
Spoiler:
At least he had some dimensions after that. Yes, I was sort of Team Gale.

I honestly didn't like either of them that much. The whole time I was reading I was thinking, "and why for once can't a female heroine not have 80% of her character arc be a will they/won't they situation? Just once?"

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 am

I can see why someone might find Peeta boring, but man, I loved that character so much and rooted for him more than anyone else throughout the series. I loved how good and kind and courageous he was whereas I felt like Gale wasn't given enough time to develop on his own as a character. He fell more flat to me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am

I didn't think Peeta was flat or boring; I just thought he was too good to be true. It wasn't until I saw the movie that he actually seemed like a real character to me.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:57 pm

I love The Hunger Games, and it honestly never occurred to me that 'who will Katniss choose' was even really a thing until I got into Tumblr. It's brought up now and then in passing the books, sure, but it feels like mainly a fandom thing.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 pm

draco, that makes sense. He really did need actual solid flaws so I totally understand that criticism.

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Pop'n'Fresh wrote:I love The Hunger Games, and it honestly never occurred to me that 'who will Katniss choose' was even really a thing until I got into Tumblr. It's brought up now and then in passing the books, sure, but it feels like mainly a fandom thing.

I actually felt like it was a pretty big thing in the third book, enough for it to annoy me.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 am

The current state of fantasy literature. It feels like everyone took the wrong lesson from Ice & Fire. Everything is so dark these days. If the characters are likeable or sympathetic in the least, all the goodness is going to be tortured out of them. However, some people don't even bother, making them horrible to start with.

For example, Joe Abercrombie. The most interesting character to me was a Conan-like figure, a barbarian encountering the big city for the first time. However, it felt like we got to spend a lot more time with the torturer. I didn't bother picking up the second book, or anything else he's written.

You know what I feel a good model for a character is? Han Solo. He's a drug smuggler who kills people in cold blood and abandons his allies in a time of need. But he's still damn fun when he's doing it. Let us like a character. And when we do, don't put them through the meatgrinder either physically or mentally.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2