Book Recommendations

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book Recommendations

Post  VodouDoll on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:44 am

That shows what I know: I hadn't even realized there was a kerfluffle. One of my friends just linked the list on Facebook the other day and I thought it was neat.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 pm

I need to get a Christmas present for my cousin's boyfriend, who will be spending part of Christmas with us. Don't really know him, but my cousin tells me he likes "history, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings". He mentioned liking Murakami once too. Any suggestions for a book?

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:43 pm

You might try Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels. It's another very good British fantasy series (some call it a "fantasy of manners"), but it's less well known than the ones you mentioned, so maybe he hasn't read it yet.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:16 am

Has anyone read any really good Jane Austen biographies? I can find a million when I Google it or look into Amazon, but I'd like to start with one or two that other Snarkers have read so I know that they're worth my time.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:15 pm

What about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell?

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Does anyone have any Irish themed/set books to recommend for a 12 year old newly minted in 7th grade? I have bought her younger sisters books for St Patrick's day but don't want to leave her out.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Some of our Irish Snarkers could probably provide good thoughts on this, but I went to ForeverYoungAdult.com and searched "Ireland," since that is what I would have been reading in 7th grade. And, look at me 20 years later, still reading the same stuff. Anyhoo ... the Butterfly series is set in Ireland, and would have definitely appealed to 12 year old Carrie. Greyhound of a Girl sounds great too.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm

The Skullduggery Pleasant books are set in Ireland. They're by Derek Landry. If she's into YA, she might be interested in There You'll Find Me which is about a teenager who's grieving her brother's death who decides to study abroad in Ireland.

I've read the first SP book and it was fun and I always meant to continue with the series but never got around to it. I haven't read the YA book so a title is as far as I can help you.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 am

I guess I am sort of a bad science fiction fan, in that I've never read any Orson Scott Card. I understand that "Ender's Game" is among the best SF novels ever written and I've been meaning to read it. But here's the thing for me now - I just became aware that the enemy in the Ender's series are known as "buggers". I realize that, in the books, the term refers to a bug-like race of aliens but with Card's OTT homophobia, it just gives me the feeling that the kids call, "I can't even...". So, my question, dear SF fans and friends, is: am I reading too much into this? Or am I reading the right amount into it but should read the Ender's series anyway?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:43 am

I really liked Ender's Game, and basically liked the next two books in the series as well as some of his other earlier novels. I don't think you get the sense from those books that he's particularly progressive; but I gather he had something of a personal turn around/regression and you start seeing the blatant homophobia much later in his career. (In one of his later books, he actually had a gay character lecturing the protagonists on why he married a woman because it was so important to procreate; horrendous.) So I kind of have managed to separate early OSC and later OSC in my mind and just think of them as different authors. This is artificial but it preserves the early books for me. I never noticed the "buggers" thing though; that is unfortunate.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 am

You know, I never realised that about the Buggers. It's a good point. However, in Australia and Britain, bugger is a word to express annoyance, sort of like damn. "Bugger, I forgot to buy milk." "Bugger, I burned the toast."

I say buy it from a second hand bookshop. Best of both worlds. You get to read it, OSC doesn't get a cent.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:15 am

And really, if you want to read it because of its genre significance, it's a self-contained novel, so you don't have to continue with the other books. I know I read the two that followed, but have zero recollection of the plot, characters, etc. I just remember a lot of skimming.

And yeah, like Red Wolf said, buy it used or get it from the library.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah, I read the first one recently because I felt I should, and I liked it, and I don't plan to read the rest probably. Not because of any animosity, just because I've got other stuff to read.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Good day - I'd like your recommendations for a book to just read for pleasure. I finished studying a week ago and my recent readings have been dry ones for either work or study. I'd like to read something light, inspirational and fun. I'm afraid I am being too vague. I tend to read non-fiction, but right now would not mind something light, whether non-fiction or fiction. Thanks in advance!

I've place a hold for Tina Fey's Bossypants. I am wondering what else I could also read?

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Light, inspirational and fun? I think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente fits the bill! It's an adorable story about a girl named September who, during WWII, decides to give herself a quest in fairyland. It's super cute and Valente is a beautiful writer.

We're also reading a lot of Terry Pratchett around here lately. Going Postal was the book I hooked my mom on, but I read Monstrous Regiment a little while ago and absolutely loved it. They're laugh out loud funny!

Andromeda Klein by Frank Portman is another one I read recently and really loved. It's about a girl who is obsessed with tarot and ceremonial magic who starts having dreams and visions involving imagery from the tarot and a figure calling itself the King of Sacremento. Plus, her dead best friend suddenly seems to be not quite as dead as she should be. Believe it or not, it actually is a fun book. It's really quirky without trying to be, so it's really charming.

The Hounds of the Morrigan by Pat O'Brien is another fun, sweet book. It's about a brother and sister in Ireland who end up getting dragged into a quest to fairyland (that seems to be a theme for a lot of books I've read recently!). It's very, very different from Valente's book, though. It seems much more like a traditional fairytale.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Thank you very much Raksha. I already placed a hold on The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. It sounds delightful!

I'm going to read up on Terry Pratchet to inform myself.

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:11 am

I wholeheartedly recommend Trenton Lee Stewart's The Mysterious Benedict Society and its two sequels. The series is about a group of four oddly intelligent children rounded up by a plucky and charming benefactor, Mr. Benedict, to square off against a mysterious crew of evildoers. I absolutely loved this series when I read it back in '11!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 am

If you decide to read some Terry Pratchett, give Maskerade a go. It's based on Phantom of the Opera but it's very funny. I first read it back in 1997 (I remember because I was working in cinema box office and read it during the quiet times and had to stifle my laughs in case the manager got wise and found me jobs to do), and when I came home after my surgery, I found it very hard for my head to settle down so I took it out again and loved it. It got me back into my reading groove.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 am

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but Steve Kluger's My Most Excellent Year. It's one of those books I pick up when I need to be cheered up.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 am

It's based on Phantom of the Opera but it's very funny.
When I watched that movie version from a few years ago, I just couldn't take it seriously. I'd read Maskerade several times previously. Good stuff.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Red Wolf wrote:
It's based on Phantom of the Opera but it's very funny.
When I watched that movie version from a few years ago, I just couldn't take it seriously. I'd read Maskerade several times previously. Good stuff.

I have no interest in watching Phantom of the Opera, because I know I'd end up muttering, "I wish they'd just made a movie of Maskerade!" (And now I'm going to play the Imaginary Casting Game all through lunchtime!)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm

The way y'all are talking, you'd think PotO wasn't supposed to be hilarious. It was though...right? If not, someone really did it wrong.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm

big chicken wrote:Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but Steve Kluger's My Most Excellent Year. It's one of those books I pick up when I need to be cheered up.

And now I want to go reread his Almost Like Being In Love which is amazing and hilarious and heartwarming.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:28 pm

I love all three of Kluger's novels. The Last Days of Summer is heartbreaking but it's also very funny and I didn't think it was possible for him to write a book I'd love more but then came My Most Excellent Year.

Basically, all three of Kluger's novels are great and everyone should read them.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 pm

I remember liking, but not loving, My Most Excellent Year. It was definitely a feel good read though and something you can certainly breeze through happily!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top