Book Recommendations

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book Recommendations

Post  puddingcup on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 am

I wanted to buy a book or 2 as a present for my new cousin-in-law. I asked my cousin what kinds of books he liked and this is her answer:

He likes fantasy like LOTR, Harry Potter, just finished reading the Game of Thrones books. Fiction (he is next planning to read Gravity's Rainbow, and his favorite miniseries is Band of Brothers, which I think is a book). Also nonfiction books like Moneyball, etc.
Any suggestions where it isn't likely that he's already read the books? Thanks.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:22 am

Drop some Scott Lynch on him. Lies of Locke Lamora.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:03 am

Or perhaps Glen Cook's Black Company books.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:06 am

I have a secret Santa type exchange person who enjoys those same types of books and I just sent him Catherynne Valente's Orphan's Tales books.  Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising would be good. If you want to go really old school epic quest fantasy type books, David Eddings' Belgariad series fits the bill.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:46 am

Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon, the 1st of a 10 book (completed!) series is very good.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 am

Thank you, everyone! These are all great ideas.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:00 am

You can get the first Miriam Black book, 'Blackbirds' by Chuck Wendig, for free right here and I really recommend it! It's really good.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:04 am

Does anyone know what would be a good book to start with for Hawaii's history? I only know the vaguest outline, and would like to know more, and I'm pretty sure neither HGTV's Hawaii Life nor the odd episode of Hawaii 5-0 are good sources for anything other than entertainment and "oooh, so pretty."
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 am

I know of 2 good historical novels about Hawaii - James Michener's Hawaii and Alan Brennert's Moloka'i. The Michener book is typical Michener -  a sprawling, epic novel which begins as the islands are being formed. Michener was famed for doing extensive research. The Brennert book has a much narrower focus, but is lovely. It's about a 7 year old Hawaiian girl taken from her family and sent to the leper colony on Moloka'i.
For nonfiction, I haven't read Shoal of Time, but I've heard it's a very good history of Hawaii, although it only begins with the arrival of Captain Cook in the islands, which seems a little problematic. And then there's Mark Twain in Hawaii, which is  not a history of the islands, but an account of his travels around the islands in the 1870s. It's worth a read if only for the image it will leave you with of Mark Twain surfing.

Last edited by naughty zoot on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:15 am

Sarah Vowell's Unfamiliar Fishes, but it starts with the missionaries arriving in the 1800s.
And I'll second Moloka'i - it was a really excellent book. His other book, Honolulu is also good, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Moloka'i.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm making a trip to the library soon and I'll be sure to look for those.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

My very good friends registered for practically nothing for their baby shower, but they did ask for books: both for the baby or things like homemade baby food cookbooks or books on child development. Does anyone have any good recs for that type of thing? I've browsed some board books but any suggestions would be SO welcome. As far as books for the parents, the mom-to-be is a hippie/scientist who makes her own soap and gardens and is data-oriented, and the dad is a nerd who is more into computers and fantasy (if that information is relevant in any way).

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:38 pm

No ideas, but you make them sound awesome.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 pm

Anything by Dr. William Sears, especially The Baby Book.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:59 pm

For board books for the baby, I'd suggest *anything* by Sandra Boynton or Eric Carle.

I can still recite Boynton's "Barnyard Dance" from memory.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:For board books for the baby, I'd suggest *anything* by Sandra Boynton or Eric Carle.

I can still recite Boynton's "Barnyard Dance" from memory.

Same. I find Boynton's "Little Pookie" series a little creepy but I love the rest of her stuff.  And "Barnyard Dance" is my daughter's favorite book.

They make a board book version of Chica Chica Boom Boom, too - make sure you get the full board book, not the abridged one. I wish I were joking that there's an abridged version, but no.  Anyway, my kid loves that one.

The dollar store and the Target dollar spot are both good places to find inexpensive board books about the Sesame Street characters or Disney characters, if your friends aren't against franchises like those. (I'm not joking; I know people who hate characters.)

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Ever hear about the BabyLit board books? I want this Dracula counting one so bad but alas, I haz no baby. My friends who have had baby girls have gotten the Pride & Prejudice (counting), the Sense & Sensibility (opposites), and the Anna Karenina (fashion) ones.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Sheli, I'm not familiar with the little pookie series, so maybe I shouldn't have said *anything*!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Unlucky Bear, those are so cute!  I am tempted to get a few but I don't even know how I'd choose.  I kind of want the Romeo and Juliet one the most, though.

And Gallifrey Girl, I guess creepy might be too strong of a word.  I hate the word pookie, so the Little Pookie character annoys me, and I don't know why little kids should like him.  Just a quirk of mine.  They do seem less fun to me than most of Boynton's others, though.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:12 am

Husband and I have a simple 3-step process for buying children's books. 1) Is it famous/popular? If yes, move on because they already have it or will soon. 2) Is the art work/layout pleasing? Great! Proceed to question 3. 3) Could I personally stand reading this 100 times? If yes, buy it!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 am

If the mom works outside the home, then "Owl Babies" is a must. It was my daughter's favorite comfort book.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 am

I don't know... even a used car seems a little excessive for a newborn.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 am

My Circus is a good one for newborns. I've recommended it many times.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:10 pm

Wow, thank you for all the many tips and suggestions! I'm really relieved to have some ideas to go off of, since there's so much out there.

p_p, they really are awesome! So I want to get them something they can use.

Unlucky Bear, those are the first books I thought of! I remember getting mad when the Jane Eyre one came out that I didn't have anyone to get it for. I wasn't sure if they were really good for babies or kind of a gimmicky thing for adults, but I might get one either way! I have an open spot for a geek book since Introductory Calculus for Infants is not available as a board book and HTML for Babies apparently has incorrect syntax.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:39 pm

laddical wrote:I don't know... even a used car seems a little excessive for a newborn.
I was all "Is that comment in the right thread?" Then I clicked the mialoubug's link and LOLed.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top