Book Recommendations

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book Recommendations

Post  Escape on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Don't several of Tamora Pierce's series feature strong women with no true romance? If I'm not mistaken, The Immortals series features the girl (who's name is escaping me right now) and her abilities, but doesn't revolve around romance.
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm

big chicken wrote:Ally Carter's Gallagher Girls or Heist Society books. The Gallagher Girls books revolve around a super secret boarding school for teenage girl spies. They are rather ridiculous but really fun. There are four books so far and while the series starts out fluffy the overall story arc gets darker in the sense it becomes less about boys and more about Cammie figuring out what really happened to her father. What I love about these books is how matter of fact it treats the idea that girls can do anything.

The Heist Society books is about a teenager named Katarina Bishop who comes from a family of thieves. She got herself out of the game and into boarding school but gets pulled back in when her father is captured by a criminal overlord who wants his painting back. So Kat assembles of crew of her own (all teens) and they set out to free her father. It's a mix of Ocean's 11 and Leverage if they were in high school. There are two books--Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals--out so far.

I thought of those briefly, but I read the first Gallagher Girls book and was completely underwhelmed. Woe.

Thanks, escape! I'll check those out. I have no idea if she is into fantasy-y stuff at all (and, frankly, I don't want to lead her anywhere even in the same realm as Twilight), but I've heard good things about Tamora Pierce.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:55 pm

katesti wrote:Okay, I'm working on a gift for my cousin - she's 14 and in 8th grade. I'm definitely getting her A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - there will be a nice inscription about how much the book means to me, blah blah - but I also want to get her something more modern. Any ideas for an age-appropriate YA that doesn't revolve around the protagonist's relationships with a boy? I feel like I am super-overthinking this.

The afore mentioned Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente would be good. The His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman would be good as well, I think. Lots of scrappy girls and adventuring going on in those.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:10 pm

The Traveling Pants series has romance in them, but they're also really about the friendship between all the girls.
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:28 pm

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:10 am

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Seconded, thirded, fourthed.

I also loved Libba Bray's Beauty Queens, which is about a large group of girls whose lives don't revolve around relationships with boys. It's also satirical and hilarious.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Tamora Pierce is all about rockstar girls and feminist messages. There is some romance but it always takes a back seat to the rest of the story. I'd recommend the Immortals series (about a girl who can communicate with animals), or, if she's a more advanced reader, the Beka Cooper series (about a girl cop, but with fantasy!). Protector of the Small is also great.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:16 am

Thanks for all the recs, guys! I've been re-skimming the first Gallagher Girls book tonight and while it may not work great for me, I do think it would actually be perfect for her right now.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetle on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 am

If you think that she might like fantasy-ish stuff, Robin McKinley (The Hero and the Crown, The Blue Sword) and Cynthia Voigt (Jackaroo and the other "Kingdom" novels) both have ass-kicking heroines. For something more modern, E Lockhart's books do have a lot of boy stuff in them but they also have smart, funny, quirky female leads. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks was my favourite, I think.

sweetle

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralErin on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Genevieve wrote:The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I read this a year ago and loved it. I don't think I've cried that much over a book since HP5.
I also recommend The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum for those of you who like nonfiction. It covers the use of chemicals and elements that today are known to be bad for you (lead, tritium, etc) but at the time were often promoted as cure-alls. And how chemistry evolved to detect poisons in a body when someone was murdered. And it also traces the development of forensic science at the time.

GeneralErin

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:29 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for an edition of The Arabian Nights? There are apparently a thousand and one different versions of it and I have no idea which one is best.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:09 am

There are apparently a thousand and one different versions
I see what you did there.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a book on the French Revolution, preferably written for someone who basically only knows that there was a French Revolution?

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:02 pm

A Tale of Two Cities perhaps? If you're looking for non fiction, I can't help you though.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:46 pm

tothemax, "Vive La Revolution" by Mark Steel! Informative AND hilarious.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:20 pm

I have a feeling my loved one would love Italo Calvino but not sure which book to get for a start: Invisible Cities or If On a Winter's Night a Traveler. I read some of Invisible Cities years ago but barely remember it. Opinions needed!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks, Ulkis!

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24 am

The only Italo Calvino I've read is Cosmicomics, and I adore it, the first one especially. I know I need to read more. More people have told me to read If On a Winter's Night a Traveler than Invisible Cities, I think, FWIW.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

I'm looking for suggestions for YA science fiction/fantasy books dealing with regimented societies in which the young protagonist discovers there are "outlaws" living elsewhere and journeys to find them. This is a kind of sub-genre in YA fiction, isn't it?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am

naughty zoot wrote:I'm looking for suggestions for YA science fiction/fantasy books dealing with regimented societies in which the young protagonist discovers there are "outlaws" living elsewhere and journeys to find them. This is a kind of sub-genre in YA fiction, isn't it?

Totally. Umm, but I have to spoiler the suggestions, because it always seems to come up in the sequel or near the end of the book - you want
Spoiler:
Matched[b/] but mostly the sequel, [b/]Crossed[b/]; [b]Delerium (and the sequel, when it comes out, definitely seems like it'll be about this); and possibly The Giver, though it's vague and stylized about it, and sequels.

The third Hunger Games book basically fits into this trope too.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks, Instant Monkeys!! I panicked that it wouldn't get here in time even with 2-day shipping so I ended up just closing my eyes and picking. I doubt I'll ever even know if he liked it, because he got a Kindle the same day I gave him the print copy and all he has done since is read ebooks. Oh well.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceci on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Even though I have never read a Roald Dahl book, I have heard nothing but good things about them. I was looking for books to give to my nephews (they're turning 6 in March), and because growing up I loved the movie adaptations - Willy Wonka, The Witches (my favorite!) and Matilda - I decided to give them one of his books (well, one for each). Not restricted to the three I mentioned, which ones would you say are better? Thanks in advance!

Ceci

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:42 pm

I have to say, The Witches freaked me the hell out at aged 6 - I did like it, it just used to give me nightmares afterwards! Honestly, I think you've got the three best there, although I remember also loving The BFG.
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I adored James and the Giant Peach growing up. I must have read it ten times. Matilda was also a favorite growing up. I can't tell you how much time I spent staring at a pencil, willing it to move!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top