Book Recommendations

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book Recommendations

Post  particle_person on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Matilda was my favorite Dahl book. (How many of you spent some quality time staring at pencils? I was very disappointed that they refused to move.) I liked The Witches but it scared and kind of depressed me, with the not-completely-happy ending. I thought James was okay but not great, and I didn't read Willie Wonka till I was a teenager and wasn't all that keen on it. I did like his short stories, though, especially the one about the man who bets the kid a Cadillac that the kid's fancy lighter will work — or the man will take off the kid's finger.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 pm

allochthonous wrote:I have to say, The Witches freaked me the hell out at aged 6 - I did like it, it just used to give me nightmares afterwards! Honestly, I think you've got the three best there, although I remember also loving The BFG.

Oh man, the thing with the girl trapped in a picture who then ages and dies, that still freaks me out. It's a great book though.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

Matiiiiiiiiiilda. Is always the right answer. And now I am going to go read it. Right now.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 am

Matilda and The BFG! The BFG is the best! I spent endless amounts of time wishing that I could pick my own dreams out of jars.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

My favorites were The Witches (it SCARED me and was awesome), The Twits (they were so awful), James and the Giant Peach, and, randomly enough, I think my favorite was Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too, but maybe because I saw the movie so many times I was really into the sequel. I haven't read it in years and I don't remember it that well, except for the Vermicious Knids, and some racist joke about Chinese names (I think the punchline is, every time you Wing you get the Wong number). But, I don't know. It was in space. The old people turned into babies. I really dug it.

Oh, also Fantastic Mr. Fox, even though it sort of upset me.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 am

I forgot about The Twits! They were also great, but our teacher read it to us in class, so it didn't stick in my head as well as the ones I read on my own. (I don't learn very well via spoken word -- I have to see something to remember it.)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 am

The BFG!!!! So good.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am

I love The Twits, but, to this day, my brother still has issues with eating spaghetti. He's 35.

I also recommend Revolting Rhymes, which is Dahl's take on fairy tales. Very funny, but perhaps not quite suitable for a 6 year old. It's been a long time since I read them though, so would anyone agree/disagree with that?

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceci on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 pm

punzy wrote:
allochthonous wrote:I have to say, The Witches freaked me the hell out at aged 6 - I did like it, it just used to give me nightmares afterwards! Honestly, I think you've got the three best there, although I remember also loving The BFG.

Oh man, the thing with the girl trapped in a picture who then ages and dies, that still freaks me out. It's a great book though.

I was actually thinking "The Witches" would be scary, and crossed it out. I was rewatching it a couple of years ago and I even asked my mom how she let me watch it and how did I not get scared? The little girl in the picture is super creepy.

Thanks for all the replies, everybody. It was really helpful. I'm gonna look up the ones I hadn't heard of and decide which two to get!

Ceci

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am

Does anyone know any good books set rougly in the modern day or with roughly modern day technology, where the Roman Empire continued? I've tried Sophia McDougall's Romanitas, which is why I specify good. Also, minimal supernatural elements if possible.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Heh, I only know Azimov's Foundation books, but his "Romans" were in the FUTURE.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

My husband is looking for a book in the vein of The Hunger Games - lots of plot, some fantasy/dystopian elements are OK, not too challenging a read. I gave him The Knife of Never Letting Go from my bookshelf, but other suggestions would be welcome!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

I haven't read it, but Divergent keeps getting brought up as "the next Hunger Games." I have read Matched, but... it's definitely not plotty.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am

inversed wrote:My husband is looking for a book in the vein of The Hunger Games - lots of plot, some fantasy/dystopian elements are OK, not too challenging a read. I gave him The Knife of Never Letting Go from my bookshelf, but other suggestions would be welcome!

One of my cousins is currently reading Ender's Game. Card's personality and politics aside, it's a very good read. I personally wouldn't recommend readling the sequels though.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 am

I'm not sure I would call Divergent "the next Hunger Games". I had some problems with the book, but overall it's a decent read. The sequel, Insurgent, is coming out on May 1, but it's a trilogy, so there will be waiting involved.

inversed, I also really enjoyed Legend by Marie Lu. It's not as romantically centered as some of the other dystopian books I've read. I think it's another trilogy, though, and the second book doesn't have a date yet.

I also think Enclave is a decent read. See above re: trilogy.

Trilogies are killing me. I try not to read most until the last book comes out... I caught all these at the beginning, though.
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm

inversed wrote:My husband is looking for a book in the vein of The Hunger Games - lots of plot, some fantasy/dystopian elements are OK, not too challenging a read. I gave him The Knife of Never Letting Go from my bookshelf, but other suggestions would be welcome!

I've not read The Hunger Games yet (I know. Quit looking at me like that), but maybe he'd like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:06 pm

How about Stephen King's "The Long Walk?"
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 pm

It's not YA to the same extent as THG, but The Giver is still a good read and quite thought-provoking (if not as plot driven). JMO, but I really didn't like Matched.

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Nation by Terry Pratchett. It's not dystopian but stranded on an island.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! He is currently reading Sabriel, which is not what I expected him to choose from my collection, but there you have it. I will pass along these recommendations to him! He's super stressed with his research right now so he's looking for some escapism.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:20 am

Because we have no "Future Reads" thread:

So there's, like, this mostly non-spoiler review of Shadow of Night, the sequel to Deborah Harkness' Discovery of Witches. I'm not saying I'm excited for this, because why would I be excited about a sequel to a book with vampire/witch yoga classes that includes time travel? But it comes out in July. I may or may not have pre-ordered.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri May 04, 2012 7:01 am

Hi Snarkers, I'd like some recommendations for two different kinds of books.

First, I'm looking for some quality chick lit. By quality, I mean that the plot can be as silly and fluffy as the typical chick lit, but with a more interesting or sophisticated writing style. A witty, clever heroine is a must.

Second, I'd like to read some good comedy-mysteries and comedy-adventure stories. Action-packed and hilarious, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 am

First, I'm looking for some quality chick lit. By quality, I mean that the plot can be as silly and fluffy as the typical chick lit, but with a more interesting or sophisticated writing style. A witty, clever heroine is a must.

I've been hearing lots of good things about Fifty Shades of Grey.

I'm sorry. Please don't kill me.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am

I'm not much of a chick lit reader, but I do enjoy Jenny Colgan's books. There's one called Working Wonders, which has the Arthurian legends as an undercurrent. That was the first of hers I read and it wasn't what I was expecting at all.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri May 04, 2012 11:08 am

queenofdenile wrote:Hi Snarkers, I'd like some recommendations for two different kinds of books.

Second, I'd like to read some good comedy-mysteries and comedy-adventure stories. Action-packed and hilarious, that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

For chicklit, I really like Harriet Evans. Her heroines are competent at their jobs nor are they silly to the point where I wonder how they ever managed to make it to adulthood without accidentally offing themselves with their curling irons. Jill Mansell is decent. I've been reading Sarra Manning and she reads like a British Jennifer Weiner.

For comedy mysteries, I've always liked Elizabeth Peters' Vicky Bliss mysteries. She's an art historian with a brillant, lenient boss who is convinced Vicky is a sleuthing genius and wants be the sidekick on all of Vicky's adventures.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top