Book Recommendations

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book Recommendations

Post  Algae on Fri May 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Hmmm... what about something like the Her Royal Spyness mysteries? They're lighthearted mysteries.

Or The Secret History of the Pink Carnation? They're spy/romance novels that take place around the Napoleonic wars, with intercuts to a modern day romance.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm

The best chick lit type stuff I see these days is in YA. Both of Stephanie Perkins' books, Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door, E. Lockhart's books, especially The Boyfriend List books (4 of them), some of Sarah Dessen's books. Oh, the best chick lit type non YA book I've read in a long time was 32 Candles.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 pm

I can't say enough about Meg Cabot's Heather Wells series. Fluffy? Check! Fun? Check! Good fun!
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri May 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Jasmine wrote:The best chick lit type stuff I see these days is in YA.
I'm going to go further and say some of the best fiction these days is in YA. (This is why I get angry when people in the NYTimes superciliously suggest that everyone ought to be reading "adult" books only.)

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 pm

mialoubug wrote:I can't say enough about Meg Cabot's Heather Wells series. Fluffy? Check! Fun? Check! Good fun!

Yes yes, I meant to say Meg Cabot and forgot. I'm also a big fan of her Queen of Babble series. Her heroines tend to do a thing where they lose their minds in the middle, but they always come back at the end.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 pm

For humorous mysteries (with a big ol' dose of magic on the side), you can check out Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. I saw him speak a couple of years ago, and he said that one of his favorite reviews called the series "Dirty Harry Potter."
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Fri May 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Everything Jasmine said, yes.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 pm

I also like the mystery series by C.A. Belmond.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sat May 05, 2012 12:13 am

I just read Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood, which is the first in a series about Phryne Fisher. She is an English noblewoman who moves to Australia to become a Lady Detective and I liked it a lot. Funny, a little bit of action and a nice set of supporting characters.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks, everyone. What a comprehensive list! Some of the ones you all mentioned I've read before (the Heather Wells series) but a lot of these are new to me and I'm going to have fun catching up over the next few months.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue May 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Not quite a book recommendation, but I'm looking to follow some new book blogs, ideally ones focused on either YA, speculative fiction, or just general literature. Does anyone have any recs besides Book Smugglers, which I already read?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 pm

I really like Bookshelves of Doom and A Chair, A Fireplace, and a Tea Cozy. They're both YA focused and they cover a wide variety of genres. Both Leila and Liz B are librarians.

I also like YA Crush which has a romance focus. Not necessarily YA romance but they tend to be squeeful over literary boyfriends and literary heroines who are BFF worthy. They're not as diverse in the books they cover and their analysis tends to be less in depth as the other two blogs, but I still like to take a look.

For general literature, I visit A Work in Progress. We have similar interests and taste in books. She also has a great blogroll on the left which is worth visiting.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I highly recommended it. It is more YA than adult, and the creepy pictures scattered throughout do a great job of articulating the supernatural atmosphere of the book.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm

One of my favorites is Forever YA, which also covers YA-focused TV shows (and Game of Thrones). I love their book reviews!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! They look great.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:18 pm

can anyone recommend a book similar to I Capture the Castle? It doesn't have to have a similar storyline, I am just looking for something with the same tone.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Try The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice or A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper. Neither has that golden-toned, loving nostalgia which permeates I Capture the Castle, but I thought they were worthwhile reads with a similar feel.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Has Eva Rice followed up her debut yet? I absolutely LOVED The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets and have been hoping to read more from her.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 pm

She's written a second book called The Dragonfly Summer, but something is holding up its release. I have no idea what it is. Here's some interesting info on Eva, including the news that The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets is her third book.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:12 am

Thank you so much for that link!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm

I am going to be stateside for a month from next Tuesday. As is my way, I will be buying a couple of books while I am there. So what have people read recently that they enjoyed and that will not break my baggage allowance on the way home? I am open to fiction and non-fiction and pretty much all genres.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:10 pm

I recently re-read Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier and it's such a sweet little story. It's a fairytale-like story about five sisters in Transylvania who discover a door to fairy land in their home.

Acutally, if you like fairytale-ish stories, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente is fantastic. A little girl named September is taken to fairy land where she meets a wyvern named A-Through-L (because his father was a library) and they find themselves a quest. It's a fantastic book, and if you want to see if you like it before you buy it you can read the first several chapters here.

I've been re-reading The Losers graphic novels recently too. They're a fun sort of action/spy mystery story.

I've been making my way through Rosemary Edghill's Bast series. They're mystery books where the main character, Bast, is a New York Wiccan. I think they're an interesting take on the mystery genre in general, but there is an added layer of interest for those of us who are of the Pagan persuasion. Edghill clearly knows the subculture!

I just got another book in from Paperback Swap called Black Ships by Jo Graham. It's a historical fantasy about an oracle back in ancient Greece. The blurb on the back says it does for ancient Greece what Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon did for Arthurian legend.

But before I read that, I'm just about to start a new book called Was by Geoff Ryman. I first heard about this book from the (Hugo nominated!) SF Squeecast. That's a good place to get recommendations in general, btw. This particular book is about the lives of several characters whose stories intertwine through The Wizard of Oz, including the "real" Dorothy Gale, a gay man dying of AIDS, and his therapist whose work at an asylum intersects with the Yellow Brick Road. It sounds really good.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks, Raksha!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

The best book I've read lately was Elizabeth Wein's Code Name Verity. And if you haven't read Michelle Cooper's A Brief History of Montmaray and The FitzOsbornes in Exile, you should.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Code Name Verity is really extraordinary. I also love all of the Incorrigible Children books, and the third just came out (the first two are probably in paperback). I just read Moon over Manifest, a middle grade book about a girl in Kansas in the 1930s, and it's great. On the adult front, The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb is a great story and a fun read, and Homer and Langley is totally absorbing. Oh, and if you haven't read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, you'll love it (and it's in paperback), and also The Wilder Life, if you've read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top