Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:06 am

So I'm one of the few that actually paid to see What's Your Number? in theaters. Critics hate it and it didn't go well in the box office either, but I thought it was kind of cute. Certainly not terrible, and I've definitely seen worse romantic comedies.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:12 am

I saw it in the theaters also and I thought it was pretty cute.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:29 am

What? I saw the trailer before The Help and laughed my ass off. I thought it looked great.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:04 pm

I already wanted to see What's Your Number? due to Chris Evans being involved, but I also thought the trailer was genuinely funny, and it's got a pretty impressive slate of male actors in small, presumably amusing roles. When the movie finally came out, it seemed like all of the critics unfairly compared it to Bridesmaids.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 pm

When the movie finally came out, it seemed like all of the critics unfairly compared it to Bridesmaids.

I saw that in a few reviews, too, and it really annoyed me. As though there's only room for one woman-centered, somewhat raunchy comedy per year. Fuck that noise!

It wasn't a brilliant movie and a fair amount of it was formulaic in a bad way. But I don't know, I feel like I've seen so many mean-spirited, bitter comedies, that it was a nice change of pace to see the two leads actually like each other. Chris Evans is cute, I always think Anna Faris is funny, and they had good chemistry, so I enjoyed it.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm totally over zombies as anything serious.This Cracked article pointed out that biting is a pretty ineffective way to get an outbreak going. And unless it were some of those 28 Days Later ass haulers I can't see the Romero lurching types getting the entire continent.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:30 am

What's Your Number? looks really funny from the trailer. There's something very charming about Anna Faris, IMO. However, I will wait until it hits the cheap theater near my area before I go see it because, well, I am cheap. I almost can't wait to ogle a constantly half naked Chris Evans though, so my heart and my wallet are at odds.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 pm

I don't know if this really counts or not, but I am already preemptively deciding not to see Like Crazy, pretty much for the same reason I hated Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. If I wanted to spend two hours wallowing in the awkward and painful side of love, I'd just dig out all my old relationship photos. And does that sound like fun?!? No! So why the hell would I want to pay money to see it in movie form, in public, where I can't even swig wine out of the bottle and cry while doing it?

To be fair, I don't like romance as the main point of a movie in general. I'd rather watch Matt Damon kill a guy with a magazine in a toaster or Michael Bay blow shit up or something.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 pm

I want to see Like Crazy so I can hopefully be a little more "glass is half full" about the things in life that I don't have, like a boyfriend.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:53 pm

My UO about that movie involves the plot point that she outstays her visa because OMGLOVE. Every review of it I've read so far has complained that it's unrealistically naive for a college kid in a post-9/11 world to not realize that outstaying your visa would lead to you not being able to get back into the US later on. I agree that it's naive, but I totally buy that a college kid would be that naive, especially a girl who's white, not Muslim, and from a country that the US likes. College kids may be legally adults, but that doesn't mean they've got all the awareness of adult stuff down yet, especially when there's passionate love messing with their decision-making processes. (Also, it's been long enough since 9/11 that plenty of today's college kids would have been young enough when it happened that they wouldn't have been politically aware enough to realize how much things changed, particularly if they're not part of the groups that were really targeted by those changes.)

Why the hell her parents don't get involved when her visa expires is probably nothing more than lame plot contrivance, though.

Also, I agree somewhat with Cynara: I only like non-comedic romance as a major part of a movie if there's other stuff going on, like a Nazi occupation and one third of the love triangle being an important resistance leader.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:05 pm

I bet if I saw Like Crazy, I'd have had the same complaint as lots of reviewers, but having read your comment, Poubelle, I can totally see where you're coming from. When you're observing all the action of a film or TV show, it's easy to project what you know or would do IRL onto the characters and their actions. It may seem silly to most people that she'd outstay her visa and not be fully aware of the consequences of that choice, but like you said, growing up in a post-9/11 world as that character has, there is still a very real possibility that she'd, indeed, be naive about the ramifications of the visa situation.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Oh goody. It's Clint Eastwood Makes A Movie So People Can Give Him Oscars time of year again.

Last edited by curryalley on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:28 am

For real. Do any of his films ever get releases before November or December? They all seem to come out at the end of the year just in time for the early Oscar hoopla.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:07 am

Clint Eastwood is certainly That Director, and I haven't liked a movie of his since Mystic River which I still thought had problems mostly because of direction.

But if Clint is That Director, I'm starting to think Leo is That Actor. My UO is that I think Leo is only an ok actor, and he is downright awful when he's in Oscar Baity mode as he appears to be in J Edgar. It's like I can see the wheels in his head telling him to 'ACT MORE DAMMIT!' I thought he was good in The Departed but I also thought he was the second worst actor in Inception behind Ellen Page.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:23 am

I feel similarly about Leo. I thought he was great in The Departed, but his other performances range from "good" to "okay" to "meh" to "bad" for me. And when I think that he's Scorcese's new go-to actor the way DeNiro used to be, well...that's a very high bar to reach, but still.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 am

I thought Leo was actually REALLY good in Shutter Island. Which is why I think it sucked that Inception got him more attention. Because I agree, I think he was weak in that film. I'm excited to see him in Django Unchained because even if working with Tarantino is still Oscar hunting, at least he'll be doing it in a braver, more exciting way.

I'm still pissed over the whole Great Gatsby thing, but Leo's kind of the least of my problems with it.

I've HATED Clint's films for years now. When as big of an Angelina fan as I am can't even fake that she likes the film that brought her her second Oscar nom, you know it's bad. They're maudlin, ponderous, there's no sense of excitement to them. Everything is so static and dull with the same tinkly, treacly score. The worst examples of his Oscar-baiting for me are when in two different years he released films to mediocre reviews (Flags of Our Fathers, Changeling), and so rushed to bump up the releases of other films in order to see if THEY'D make it into the Oscar line-up (Letters from Iwo Jima, Gran Torino).
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:15 pm

My people!

I still haven't forgiven Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby. Lordy, do I hate that movie!
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Leo actually manages to break my heart in pretty much every role he plays, but I think I can also understand where someone else might see him as being too obvious and perhaps trying too hard to amp up the drama. He was magnificent in Shutter Island, and I hoped against all hope that he'd get a nom somewhere for that performance. The last 15 minutes of that movie are unbelievably haunting and sad, and Leo conveyed the anguish and guilt and horror of the situation so beautifully.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Leo was good in Shutter Island, but that film was so creepy and scary...I never made it to the end. I think I bailed around 2/3rds of the way through and then read how it ended on the internet.

/chicken

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Dude, you have to finish it so Leo can fully rip your heart out. Or at least read the book so you know how it ends!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:25 pm

I actually really like Leo. I am off and on with Clint. Some of his movies I love, some I hate.

Why the hell her parents don't get involved when her visa expires is probably nothing more than lame plot contrivance, though.

They do. The dad makes a comment in the movie that he'd be saved a lot of legal bills if they just got married.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:08 am

I should actually watch something of Clint's besides Mystic River so I can form an actual opinion of him as a director. I couldn't stand Mystic River when I saw it in theaters, bu I have a feeling I'd soften up if I saw it again. For one thing, I just couldn't stand Emmy Rossum at the time the film was released, so even though she wasn't even in most of the scenes, there was just a general and very irrational annoyance with the whole movie. All the hype over it didn't help because then I expected too much.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:19 am

Cynara wrote:I don't know if this really counts or not, but I am already preemptively deciding not to see Like Crazy, pretty much for the same reason I hated Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. If I wanted to spend two hours wallowing in the awkward and painful side of love, I'd just dig out all my old relationship photos. And does that sound like fun?!? No! So why the hell would I want to pay money to see it in movie form, in public, where I can't even swig wine out of the bottle and cry while doing it?

Everyone was is in love with Clementine in that movie. I however, was not, because I spent 10 years living next door to her throughout my childhood. (Funnily enough, she was even was an admirer of Kate Winslet and totally bought into that "normal", "real woman", "I love my body" shtick). No matter how much one fantasises about a Clementine making life exciting, a vain, hypocritical narcissist remains a vain, hypocritical narcissist.

Last edited by Paris, Texas on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  caerbannog on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:46 am

I used to really like Eternal Sunshine (and still think it's one of Jim Carrey's best performances), but frankly, Tumblr has killed that movie for me. I just cannot deal with all the pics from it that constantly get reblogged over and over.

caerbannog

Back to top Go down

Post  katha on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 am

I will always have endless goodwill for Eastwood for what he managed to do in The Bridges of Madison County. That was such a bad, maudlin book. Contender for Worst!Book!Ever! IMO. And he kicked all that out and just focused on how awesome Meryl Streep is. Good decision. I mostly like him as a director. I just wish he was perceived as what he is: As a solid director, who likes a certain bleakness in his films. They don't need to throw Oscars at him for every little movie he does. No matter how much he campaigns for them. I personally suspect it's got something to do with the fact that the Academy is thrilled to have found an actor who really made a credible transition into directing. Who is competent and skilled as a director and doesn't only do vanity projects. They love that kind of story and career, so they go way overboard indulging him.

I like Winslet as an actress. But I think a problem with her is that she tends to try to find "warm, likeable" sides of characters where it's inappropriate. Where you really need to play them as unsympathetic, but there's always this striving for having the audience sympathize with her characters coming through IMO. It's limiting her as an actress. Nicole Kidman, for example, is accused of being cold. I don't agree, I think she plays cold when it's appropriate. Winslet couldn't have done To Die For.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top