Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

+80
Jude
Corellderaan
dionneshea
bookworm
rivki8699
Bad Username
ActonBell
inversed
PrincessCleo
Esseilte
laurelin_kit
draco vulgaris
dinahmoe
biakbiak
Sheli
year of the cat
Melk
chibimanda
mrinsouciance
blooey
Carrie Ann
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
puddingcup
Cutebutpsycho
nikita
themis
sagitare
Agent Sculder
Count_Bloodcount
Coneycat
Wilhelmina
Skyblade
laddical
Crowbridge
Case
easybreezy
MaddyCat
naughty zoot
sloo
harvey the penguin
oxymoron
tothemax
Kookla
Luthien
mokey75
Binky
The Glen
QueenSix
Lis
ulkis
Raksha
Francie Nolan
Instant Monkeys
mayram
blixie
Matinee
Auroura76
Miss Moneypenny
Eris Rising
RiverThames
Shalamar
katha
caerbannog
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
swsa
truecrystal
curryalley
Poubelle
Cynara
whatthedeuce
The Dude
jcpdiesel21
Unlucky Bear
TiffanyNichelle
queenofdenile
84 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold - Page 9 Empty Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  Kiran Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah, girl, no offense but its the hot man playng with huskies, because I have had to sit through the Paul Walker Convinces Us He Can Act, No Really Vehicle also known as Running Scared. And no girl. No.

The best use of him I still think was in Pleasantville.

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold - Page 9 Empty Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  Coneycat Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Oh, it's definitely the hot man playing with huskies. Although the movie doesn't lose anything when it's just the huskies playing together, so... Sorry, Paul Walker.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

swsa wrote:My unpopular opinion is that I still hate Gwyneth and Pepper Potts and haven't seen IM2 and won't see IM3 because of her. Her screentime in The Avengers is all I can handle. Her tight smiled, perfectionistic, superior, condescending routine is so tiresome to me and the worship of the character in both the films and pop culture drives me mad.
'

You can sit right next to me because I feel the same way. Also - I don't even care about IM1!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Kiran wrote:I think hes got a great body, and is really sexy and charismatic. But his face is kinda ...not ugly at all. Its just ...its got character. Hes someone who is really helped by the overall package I think. Like great body, style, charisma, put it all together with an unobjectionable face and it works. I mean hes objectively much less attractive than, say Paul Walker. But Paul Walker is boring.
Paul Walker was always really bland surfer cute to me. Gosling has beady eyes so that kinda distracts me, but I've found him attractive since he was the smarmy kid bugging Becca on Flash Forward. I neeeeever said that out loud to my sisters though cuz I needed to keep my prepubescent dignity intact.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 am

laddical wrote:Shane Black writes a completely different kind of hipster douchebag.

Even if it weren't a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, I'd still be damned excited about the reunion of Robert Downey, Jr., and Shane Black. Only way to make it better would be for Val Kilmer to be in it. Oh, please let there be a Val Kilmer cameo. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was sooooooooooooo good.

"JESUS! Look up the word 'idiot' in the dictionary, know what you'll find?"

"A picture of me?"

"NO. The definition of the word idiot. Which is what you are!"

I don't know if this is unpopular (it shouldn't be) but I love Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. And Val Kilmer might be better than RDJ in that movie. I kinda get why that movie didn't do well, but it was so good. And so fucking funny.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:45 am

If loving Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is wrong, I don't want to be right. That movie is delightful and the most I have ever liked Val Kilmer in anything!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:47 pm

I mentioned the other day that I actually, unironically, really enjoyed City Of Bones, which I know is an unpopular opinion. (Hey, I also unironically enjoyed the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman The Avengers when I was in graduate school, so let's just say there are clearly times in my life when my tolerance for Bad Moofies is pretty damn high.) (Or perhaps there are times when what I really need is a Bad Moofie. Although I enjoy them as if they were Good.)

Anyway, my probably-less-unpopular opinion is, I feel really badly for the cast. Some of them, like Aidan Turner and Robert Sheehan, are actors I liked already, but I thought pretty well all of them were charming and likable in their roles, even emoboy. And now I find myself really bummed that they worked so hard to create what they hoped would be a fun, entertaining, magical movie, and now it's turning into such a flop.

Never mind, kids. I'll buy the DVD. Promise.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Yeah, I'm torn on the City of Bones thing. Because yes, I really wanted City of Bones to be slated - but the BOOK, not the film. This should have happened when the book came out, because it's Cassandra Claire who deserves it, not the cast and crew who have tried to make something good.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:50 am

Can someone give me (or point me to) a quick, bullet-point version of Problems With Cassandra Clare? I would like to be able to discuss it with fellow writerly types without having to sift through tons of journalfen.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Basically, The Week's article is a gigantic (but more digestible) truth bomb. (That said, it scrupulously avoids the word "plagiarism." The Journalfen/Bad Penny posts are the exhaustive lists.) There are a number of accusations of bullying over the last ten years right up to the present day as well; quick Google turns up this (I think that includes the alleged "tried to get a girl kicked out of university" and "your parents should have aborted you" incidents).

The thing is, a ton of YA writers are her friends and defend her and say she's a great person; a number of fans have talked about her being great in person. If you go with the idea that there can't be ten years of smoke without some kind of fire... I just really don't know how to reconcile those two portrayals. I sincerely don't. Because her publishing friends defend her so staunchly that you have to think there's got to be something there as well. Split personalities? Evil twin? Alternate universes colliding?
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:14 pm

In my experience of the Internet, there is quite often smoke without fire, in the form of trollishness, dogpiling, and "people lose their damn minds and say horrible things," which is pretty much what happens on every comment thread to every news story I've ever looked at.

Pretty well every discussion I have ever seen of the crimes of Cassie Claire has been so incoherent with wankage that I've never made it through any of them, and it's definitely coloured my ability to carry an indefinite grudge against the woman. I find myself imagining all that frothing righteousness landing in her inbox, over and over and over for the last seven or eight years (because I am damn sure it does) and I find myself thinking she's probably been punished enough. (Yeah, I saw the "most recent plagiarism" stuff--three words from "The Hunger Games." I don't consider that worth any comment except, "hee, I guess she's stubborn enough to keep making shoutouts.")

Obviously, that's my opinion, and I accept it's probably an unpopular one. But hey, at least I'm in the correct thread!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:35 pm

A lot of people will be extremely kind to those who can help them in life, and not to those who can't. I think thats what it is.

Last edited by Kiran on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:31 pm

If you are old enough to post or read slash in a fanlisting, you are old enough to know what plagiarism is. It is not rocket science.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm

(Yeah, I saw the "most recent plagiarism" stuff--three words from "The Hunger Games." I don't consider that worth any comment except, "hee, I guess she's stubborn enough to keep making shoutouts.")
I admit, even I didn't think that was plagiarism. More like "naive and/or ill-advised life choice."
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 pm

If I had no idea about her fandom life, I would still dislike this woman just on how unpleasant and smug she comes off in every interview I've seen her in.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 am

What pissed me off about her plagiarism was that when she got called out on it, she didn't really take responsibility for it. I mean, it was fanfic, it's not like she was about to lose an Oprah Book Club deal; she could have easily said, "Yeah, that was wrong of me, and I shouldn't have done it." Instead she got defensive and smug, and relied on her minions to defend her. Yes, it was several years ago but, as year of the cat said, it's not like she didn't know better, and that (plus the shit with the laptop and ipod, and her general obnoxious demeanor) put her on my No Thanks list.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't care how amazing Gravity is, it looks really, really boring to me, and you couldn't pay me to see it. (Though the 3D Imax trailer where she's floating in space upset me like whoa, because NO THANK YOU.)
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I feel the same way, mokey. Also, I think Sandra Bullock is one of the blandest actors working today.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Raksha wrote:I feel the same way, mokey.  Also, I think Sandra Bullock is one of the blandest actors working today.
YES.  When I mention how boring I think she is, I always have someone tell me she's super nice IRL and that Jesse James totally cheated on her and that she's awesome for adopting a baby, like this is all supposed to make me like her as an actress.  I'm sure she is a lovely person, but I don't pay $12 or whatever to see a lovely real life person.  In movies, Bullock is as dull as dishwater.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Aw, I like Sandra, but sometimes her onscreen persona grates. Like in The Proposal.

(Have I ever given my rant about the bizarreness of her character's behavior in the nude scene in The Proposal? Namely, that her character seems to know she's on camera and how the camera is framing her?)
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:26 am

My unpopular opinion - My Life In Ruins with Nia Vardolos is super enjoyable and rewatchable!  Loved her and Richard Dreyfus in it.

Of the three (Hu)Man Against Nature films this year the only one that interests me is the Robert Redford film.  I like Sandra Bullock as a person a lot - she's very sharp and clever - but I've never gone out of my way to see her in anything, and then, enjoy her best in broad comedies.  She was great in Infamous, though.  Her Harper Lee was vastly superior to Catherine Keener's. In fact, Infamous was better than Capote on every level, though I'd never begrudge Phillip Seymour Hoffman his moment of AMPAS glory.

My other unpopular opinion (somewhat relevant to movies having I just slept through The Host thanks to my nieces): it might be easy for me to say this because I'm not involved in any kind of YA/comic/sci-fi fandom (I enjoy The Hunger Games series and read the first 4 of the Harry Potter books with relish, but it pretty much ends there), but writers do not owe fans anything financially, emotionally or socially. They are not godparents, cool aunts or therapists.  They do not owe buyers of their goods respectful availability (neither, conversely, do the consumers owe them anything). All they need provide is an accurate edition of whatever text they are selling.  The ideal of being "grateful to the fans" in perpetuity, especially in the case of the lower-brow media arts and genres, is quite dangerous to everyone's egos and creates a false sense of responsibility.  This generally isn't expected of classical musicians, painters, high brow novelists & film auteurs, as ordinary crotchetiness, back-room dramas & PR black holes are taken in stride or looked on as a necessary eccentricity of genius.  As much as fandom creates community, friendships and provides a well of creativity, no one owes a reader or a fan their fantasy life. Even uppity ex-fanfiction writers.
(And, it was clear to anyone with a bit of insight that Stephenie Meyer she meant, "Gee, I'm glad the era of hearing umpteen times a day that Twilight Is A Sexist, Dangerous Influence On Young Women, K-Stew Has A Permanent Case Of Bitch Face And You Can't Write For Shit, You Chunky Mormon Mary Sue is over". I'm sure a good argument that these claims are true could be made, but even as she hypothetically wipes away her tears with $100 notes, on an ordinary human level it would still be tiresome/upsetting/irritating to hear.)

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:03 pm

The title "Mortal Instruments" was first used for a Ron and Ginny-focused Harry Potter fanfic in 2004,
Ron and Ginny incest story? eeeeew

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I irrationally HATE Aaron Taylor Johnson. Quit tryin to tell me he is charming and talented because I've seen him in like four movies and have yet to see even a sliver of evidence. Worse he mediocritizes everyone and everything around him* Fetch will never happen! BAH.

*except Nic Cage who I fucking LOVE and who is never EVER boring, you just "perform" like a "peformer" all you want Nic baby!

Also that Cody chick in Magic Mike I liked her and thought she was fine. She was also fine in End of Watch, MM was a hollow pointless pastiche of cliches with or without her.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 am

Aaron Johnson was by far the worst part of Anna Karenina for me. I could not figure out his motivations from scene to scene. He had no charisma or passion to him. It was completely baffling trying to understand why Anna would be willing to sacrifice anything for this man.

I did think he was okay in Savages, but then I was holding him up against Blake Lively and Taylor Kitsch, so coming out best in show in that field is no great triumph. He was still out-acted by Emile Hirsch who had like 2 scenes.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 am

Ha, I totally forgot Emile Hirsch was in that movie, but that's another UO I think Emile Hirsch is pretty great, I mean he's got a certain oeuvre down (petulant self important yet not particularly intelligent punk), but while Matthew McConaughey is the obvious draw in Killer Joe, Hirsch IMO totally matches him in fucked up hilarity.

ATJ I think is perfectly good actor, he's just not a romantic lead, or any kind of lead. He doesn't have IT, so to see people continually casting him as if he was IT, is super annoying. Maybe Vanity Fair should dub him IT, and put him on the cover so I can be rid of him.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next