Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  Kiran on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:29 am

I pretty much have the same thoughts on Eastwood you do. Although I really enjoyed a few of his Oscar-y films too. Mystic River, Letters to Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven namely. I haven't disliked his recent stuff, though I don't think its Oscar worthy and I agree with your analysis of that. The Oscars LOVE actors turned directors and he and Robert Redford are pretty much the only two consistently successful ones. A lot of other actors will direct great movies but will only direct once in their life. Or have one interesting work and then kinda meander off. There are other good ones obviously, but those are the two biggest I can think of who have avoided that path, although Ben Affleck seems to be on his way too.

I also have the same opinion of Bridges of Madison County. He really took all the treacle out of that and made it quite affecting. I also thought he himself gave a very good performance in that and I loved that he didn't make it about himself though. It was about Meryl.

That might be an unpopular opinion too. While I enjoy Clint the director most of the time, I think hes grown into a really good actor. A more interesting actor then he is a director.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 pm

I agree. I started watching Gran Torino just because it was on and I had nothing better to do, and I ended up loving it. I thought he was superb.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Kiran wrote:The Oscars LOVE actors turned directors

The Oscars, frankly, love to give an award to a recognizable face wherever applicable. Why do you think Mel Gibson has a Best Director Oscar? Or Ben Affleck and Matt Damon for screenwriting? (Hell, I'd even put Diablo Cody's win in this category.)
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:37 pm

You want unpopular?

*Puts on Grinch mask*

I really, really dislike A Christmas Story. Ralphie was insufferable.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Oh agree. I mean that doesn't necessarily mean its undeserved in a lot of cases, but its true. Like I love Before Sunset but I don't know if Richard Linklater had written that himself without Julie Delphy and Ethan Hawke it would have been nominated.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Eris Rising wrote:You want unpopular?

*Puts on Grinch mask*

I really, really dislike A Christmas Story. Ralphie was insufferable.

I really need someone to explain to me why that movie is so beloved. Like, I don't hate it? The leg lamp is hilarious, as are a few other set pieces, but the movie itself is just a hot mess. Every time I watch it, I feel like there's something I'm not just not getting, because everyone else finds it hilarious.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 am

My people! Okay, to be fair, I've never seen it, but that's because every time I've tried, I fall asleep.

Which is how I also feel about Rushmore. I hate, hate, HATE Wes Anderson films. The only good thing he's ever done is that American Express commercial about himself, ironically enough for me anyway.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 am

I loved Gran Torino, but I went into it with the idea that it was really Dirty Harry in retirement. Clint was just meant to be acting while pointing a gun.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:16 am

A Christmas Story is flawless to me. Please stop breaking my heart, people. Like any other movie though, I can totally see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:18 am

I enjoyed Gran Torino because of how it worked as a deconstruction of the Dirty Harry myth.

I love Wes Anderson and a Christmas Story.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 am

I really need someone to explain to me why that movie is so beloved. Like, I don't hate it? The leg lamp is hilarious, as are a few other set pieces, but the movie itself is just a hot mess. Every time I watch it, I feel like there's something I'm not just not getting, because everyone else finds it hilarious.

Took the words out of my mouth. I don't DISlike it. I just don't get how it became such a beloved story and classic.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 pm

I think it's popularity stems from the fact that, despite the over-the-topness, it taps into a bit of realism that other Christmas movies lack. Plus all the little ways that being a kid can suck sometimes. This is a big part of why I enjoy it so much - unlike a lot of other movie (especially Christmas ones) the kids just seem like kids, the parents are like all people and have their little weird habits and those moments of "oh yeah, I'm a grownup". Just a family that's odd in little ways, like most families are (though there is a higher concentration of funny/odd events in one season, but hey, it's a movie).

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 pm

For it's time it was also pretty innovative. You didn't see much of decontstruction of childhood, Christmas and nostalgia up to that point. Who really thought they invented the word "fuck" as far back as the 40's?
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:02 pm

I think it's two fold, A Christmas Story became hugely popular in the 80's and spoke very explicitly to Baby Boomer's childhoods, and Baby Boomer's controlled the world at the time, but also the movie portrays that general chaos/disappointment/joys of the holiday in equal measure, it's not glossy or overdone like so many Holiday flicks are, it's just recognizable. I know when I was kid I didn't actually get it, but as I got older I appreciated the "kid logic pov" that governs much of it. I can't lie, Drink More Ovaltine makes me laugh really hard every time. As does
Spoiler:
Ralphie actually shooting his eye out.
Dude, that's funny.

My UO Movie opinion is that I love Juno, Jason Reitman AND Diablo Cody. I think they're all great and I'm looking forward to Young Adult.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 pm

I think it's two fold, A Christmas Story became hugely popular in the 80's and spoke very explicitly to Baby Boomer's childhoods, and Baby Boomer's controlled the world at the time, but also the movie portrays that general chaos/disappointment/joys of the holiday in equal measure, it's not glossy or overdone like so many Holiday flicks are, it's just recognizable. I know when I was kid I didn't actually get it, but as I got older I appreciated the "kid logic pov" that governs much of it. I can't lie, Drink More Ovaltine makes me laugh really hard every time.

Yeah, this and Matinee's responses pretty much sum up what I think of it too. I will say that TBS has all but ruined the movie for me by playing it 24/7 every Christmas (not that there's anything forcing me to watch it over and over, but I always end up doing so).

The ovaltine thing makes me laugh so much because it's pretty much exactly the sort of thing one of my sisters would have done. She would totally have gotten it in her head that there was some big mystery to be solved and her disappointment at the end result would have given Ralphie a run for his money. It's one of those funny things that can only happen to a kid.

And Darren McGavin is always excellent, but I especially love him in this. So many great moments with him and to this day, I STILL can't use the word "fragile" without saying "fragil-ay, must be Italian!"

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm

"A lousy commercial? Son-of-a-bitch!"
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 pm

I say "Must be Italian" about any word with an E on it, pretty much, heh.

I think another thing to consider is that a lot of its becoming a "classic" has to do with the fact that it's a Christmas movie. If it weren't a Christmas movie, I think it would be a perfectly enjoyable, cute '80s movie about family life in the '50s. I would bet money that it would be all but forgotten except for a few dedicated fans, maybe like My Girl-level or something. Just like Elf, which I love but which was elevated to instant legend status by virtue of its being A New Christmas Classic. Or Home Alone. We have seventy bajillion TV channels now and all of them are looking for Christmas stuff to show.

I really like A Christmas Story -- my dad was a fan of Jean Shepherd (on whose writing it's based) before it came out, and he likes it for that reason and because it's such a portrait of the '50s, when he grew up. I like it partly because my dad likes it. The nostalgia is practically in a frame with a bow on top and I think that's part of it too. It is presented very strongly as A Fond Portrait Of Another Time. (My mom is always annoyed by Ralphie's mom's hair because it's very anachronistically '80s.)

I remember when we "discovered" it as kids (soon after the VCR was invented), and it IS kind of annoying to me that it's now on so much at Christmastime. Again, I think if it weren't for the Christmas factor it'd be a cute footnote.

I do love the Ovaltine part. I SO remember that sense of rage when I realized that someone was trying to pull some shit on me because I was a dumb kid. Annie's secret message INDEED. Lousy commercials.

On the other hand the whole thing with the Chinese restaurant at the end makes me terribly uncomfortable, and did even when I was a kid.

Favorite part though is the creepy kid in line to see Santa. "I like the Wizard of Oz." "I like Santa." My sisters and I say "I like [thing]" in that flat nasally voice to each other so often that it just now occurred to me that that's where we got it.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Speaking of the creepy "I like Santa" kid, did anyone spot him (and Ralphie!) in the latest Prep & Landing Christmas special from Pixar? I squealed!
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Auroura76 wrote:My people! Okay, to be fair, I've never seen it, but that's because every time I've tried, I fall asleep.

Which is how I also feel about Rushmore. I hate, hate, HATE Wes Anderson films. The only good thing he's ever done is that American Express commercial about himself, ironically enough for me anyway.

Not only will I co-sign this, but I'll take it a step further - I am so very over Bill Murray as a serious actor. He shows up, plays himself, receives accolades, wash, rinse, repeat. Just the thought of watching him in any recent movie that isn't Zombieland makes me tired.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:06 am

Putli Bai wrote:
Auroura76 wrote:My people! Okay, to be fair, I've never seen it, but that's because every time I've tried, I fall asleep.

Not only will I co-sign this, but I'll take it a step further - I am so very over Bill Murray as a serious actor. He shows up, plays himself, receives accolades, wash, rinse, repeat. Just the thought of watching him in any recent movie that isn't Zombieland makes me tired.

Putli Bai, I think you're my kindred spirit. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate Bill Murray. Can't watch anything he's done. He's awful. Scrooged? Whatever. Lost in Translation? Meh. I love Ghostbusters in spite of him, but he makes it really hard. He also seems like a giant asshole, which does him no favors.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:07 pm

(My mom is always annoyed by Ralphie's mom's hair because it's very anachronistically '80s.)

HA! Your mom and my mom are twins. She can't get 5 minutes into the movie without complaining about how wrong her hair is. It is totally an '80s home perm, though!

I still love A Christmas Story, but I feel like I loved it more when it was just a weird little Christmas movie that would always turn up on cable in the middle of May.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 am

Yeah, I remember watching Lost In Translation thinking, "Isn't Bill Murray just being his usual apathetic self? Why is he getting a million noms for this crap?" I know the whole point of the film and the performances was subtlety, but it came across to me as just "dull people feeling dull and alienated in a foreign land." Then again, maybe I missed out on something wonderful in the second half of the film since I was so bored that I left the room where my friends were watching it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:30 am

So I finally saw The Big Lebowski. It was okay. I don't know what all my friends were getting all obsessed about.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:51 am

Perhaps the appeal of The Big Lewbowski, when it came out, anyway, was that it was a rental hit. It got at best mixed reviews and flopped at the box office, but was watched on video and got good word of mouth (rather like the first Austin Powers movie). So the way most people fell in love with it was watching it at home without particularly high expectations and were pleasantly surprised. And apart from John Goodman's stellar turn, Jeff Bridges at this point was known for being a serious/romantic leading man and it was the first role where he got fat and developed that ticklish/goofy loser persona, which we're all a lot more familiar with now in his subsequent roles.

So, Brit Marling - I don't understand the appeal. I mean, yay for writing her own eco-dramas to star in, but I have no idea why is manages to compete for the same roles Jessica Chastain and Hayley Atwell go for. (Well, the reason is that her agent is Hylda Queally, but still.) She's not a particularly interesting actress, and looks like a very thin, very pale, blond man.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:11 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of Another Earth but if this looks like a man, God help me.

I think that's one of the few movies where I would call Jeff Bridges ticklish. I do think the Dude is very near his own persona but if you look at his movies since then its been things like The Door in the Floor, The Contender and Crazy Heart. A few of those might be losers. But more hard living, embittered losers, then ticklish or lovable. Though I loved all those performances. They just don't really remind me of the Dude, while he in real life does.

My unpopular opinion is I LOVE Alfonso Cuoron's version of Great Expectations, I think its gorgeous, surprisingly true to the book and the performances are great. My other opinion is though she might be a pretentious and hes a total tool I love Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow as actors and even when the movie sucks I usually enjoy them.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top