View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  bookworm on Mon May 02, 2016 8:48 pm

I COMPLETELY AGREE.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue May 03, 2016 12:36 am

Once again, RiverThames and I seem to share a brain. Though I watched it years ago as part of a class in college, I also could not believe the level of praise for that movie. Some individual moments work - my 7th grade science teacher showed the Dawn of Man sequence as an introduction to our lessons on simple tools. But this movie is general Kubrick for me - just not good (Dr. Strangelove excepted).
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue May 03, 2016 1:48 pm

My people! I can't stand 2001. It's so boring. I remember having to watch it in university for Film Studies and coming home and bitching about the experience to my mom. She said it's the kind of movie you need to be high to really enjoy. Which, actually does make some sense to me, but your movie experience shouldn't have to be reliant on mood alteration.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 pm

I agree. I loved the book, but turned the movie off after 15 minutes or so.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon May 09, 2016 10:15 pm

So file this in Popular Opinions Snarkers Have Regarding 2001.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sat May 14, 2016 2:37 pm

We are the Iconoclasts!

(In truth, I wonder if this is more the popular opinion of 2001, but it's one of those things where it's talked about like a classic, but no one actually LIKES it.)
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan on Mon May 16, 2016 12:24 am

I often think the reason I don't like, or don't get some things is that I'm not the right age to appreciate the material, i.e. I probably should have read/watched something when I was in my 20s and not my 30s, or it's just too many years since the the movie was released and I can't appreciate the achievement the movie made. Of course there is also the argument that it's just not good..

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 pm

I never liked it either. I've never admitted that to anyone because I didn't want to appear stupid, given all the praise it always received. Thank you, all of you, for justifying my viewpoint after all these years!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Mulva on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:23 pm

I have found my tribe. 2001 is a boring, pretentious snoozefest.

Here's my extremely unpopular opinion: I rewatched To Kill A Mockingbird and the saintly Atticus Finch's grilling of Mayella reminded me of the sleazy defense lawyer who called my roommate, who had been gang raped at gunpoint, a whore. Really put me off the movie.

Mulva

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:52 am

So, I was surprised to dislike Eddie Redmayne's character in The Danish Girl. I am totally pro-transgender people, but Ainar/Lili was quite cruel to the heroically-ahead-of-her-time-in-being-understanding wife. She calls zir on it at one point, reminding zir that everything isn't only about zir, but for the most part ze continues to act as if suddenly the wife is just a non-issue and "I don't care if you also occasionally need support."  Also, (spoiler tags are probably unnecessary but just in case):
Spoiler:
after the first surgery, why was Lili's main mannerism giggling? I understand going bit overboard with stereotypical femininity in that situation, but giggling and laughing as one's only response didn't ring very true for me from a character who had supposedly always felt like/been a woman.

But the biggest problem with the film is Alicia Vikander's horrible wig. That may not be an unpopular opinion though!
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:48 pm

That was an hour well spent on that wigwurq site! Much fun!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 am

I really didn't like Finding Dory. It just felt so... forced. Like a straight-to-DVD sequel but with all the good voice actors. I really WANTED to like it but it was a real disappointment.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:14 am

I was bored to death by The Avengers when I finally watched it last year, and I found Tony Stark to be really smarmy, unfunny, and irritating. By the time the actual battle with Loki and the horde of Chitauri took place, I was dying of restlessness. If Chris Evans weren't so hot and earnest and adorable as Cap, I'd never have even bothered watching the whole thing.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

inversed wrote:I really didn't like Finding Dory. It just felt so... forced. Like a straight-to-DVD sequel but with all the good voice actors. I really WANTED to like it but it was a real disappointment.

See, I feel that way about Finding Nemo, but quite enjoyed Finding Dory. I did think it was a tad too long for little kids (my daughter got antsy about three quarters of the way through in the cinema), but I liked it more than I thought I would!
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:58 am

inversed, I felt the same way about Finding Dory. Although I did like the octopus very much.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic View next topic Back to top