Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:01 am

oxymoron, besides Hector's pecs, that line from Menelaus is the only thing I remember about Troy. It's so unbelievably cheesy and over-the-top.

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  sloo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:00 am

Outside of the people in their late-teens and early-20s with multi-colored emo hair, lip rings, and skinny jeans, does the general populace basically agree that A Clockwork Orange is overindulgent and overrated?

sloo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 am

I don't fit that criteria and I like it.

I own skinny jeans though, now that I think about it, so who knows.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 am

Outside of the people in their late-teens and early-20s with multi-colored emo hair, lip rings, and skinny jeans, does the general populace basically agree that A Clockwork Orange is overindulgent and overrated?

Absolutely not.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Love Clockwork Orange and fit none of the criteria listed, for what it's worth.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  sloo on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Well, damn.

sloo

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Only saw the film once in a college class, and while I didn't love it, I found it very provocative and fascinating. I suppose I'm in the "not overrated" camp.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:01 pm

My issue with A Clockwork Orange is that it was too long for me. By the last half hour or so, I really stopped caring.

Of course, it helps that I saw it at a midnight showing when I was drunk.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I've never seen it, partly because I read the book and didn't really care for it. Is it a lot like the book, or ... ?
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:12 am

So, I saw Yentl for the first time and expected the standard Streisand ego-fest and I can totally understand why I.B. Singer loathed it, but oh, my GOD, it's sooo good. Barbra was surprisingly endearing! The songs were the weakest element for the most part but in certain circumstances worked and went a great way to explain opaque elements like Amy Irving's character. And I finally get why people love Mandy Patinkin when he's not singing. He was unbearably handsome and charismatic and beautiful, and I was really disappointed that Yentl never got to boff him, and that they never even properly kissed.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:35 am

I think aside from Singer it was actually very well received. I enjoyed it, my only complaint was that its wrong to have Mandy Patinkin in a musical and not let him sing.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Wiki says Yentl was relatively well received critically, but the people I've come across in real life who profess real affection for it are often musical and/or Streisand fans. A reasonable chunk have a negative interest due to Barbra's always polarising presence or out of loyalty to Singer or some latent repulsion over the politics of feminism, gender-identity and Judaism. Mention of the title alone has become kind of a stereotypical signifier of the Mecha-Streisand ego - even though the movie itself actually isn't. It's one of those movies whose reputation makes it mocked by people who will never see it.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy on Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 pm

I thought "The Muppets" sucked.

I say this as someone who loves The Muppets.

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed May 02, 2012 11:17 pm

It hurt your soul to admit that, didn't it?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy on Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:It hurt your soul to admit that, didn't it?

Not really. It barely qualified as a Muppet movie.

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu May 03, 2012 11:23 am

Oh, carry on then! I just know how attached people are to the Muppets, especially those that grew up on those characters and stuff. Well, it's great that the movie seemed to detached to be an actual Muppets film to you!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy on Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Oh, carry on then! I just know how attached people are to the Muppets, especially those that grew up on those characters and stuff. Well, it's great that the movie seemed to detached to be an actual Muppets film to you!

Heh. I've heard all the criticisms that I apparently have no soul because I didn't fall head over heels for it (extra UO: Good lord, that "Man or Muppet" song was fricking atrocious). But it was the cultural equivalent to me of having a bunch of Muppet toys in your room and calling your sock puppet a Muppet because osmosis, that's why.

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't care for Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. While I'll always adore Memento,these well produced films leave me bored.

In his quest for realism,Nolan's left out all the Gothic romanticism and brooding obsession. Gotham City isn't an overly sunny Chicago. It's an architectural nightmare that's physically suffering from societal corruption. The kind of city where a insanely obsessed, dangerous billionaire dresses as a creature of the night. The kind of city where abused dominatrices become vinyl and leather catsuit clad cat burglars.
A city where almost everyone is a walking Abnormal Psychology textbook.

A Gothic romantic dangerous urban nightmare. Nolan's Gotham is a bright,modern metropolis. No danger or inner darkness. I do understand why people like his Batfilms,which is cool.
I prefer my Bruce Waynes to be tall,dark,and damaged though.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Thu May 03, 2012 10:31 pm

I also dislike the Nolan Batman movies, but I think his mistake was making things TOO dark. I really enjoyed Tim Burton's first Batman movie because it was dark, but there was also an element of fun to it, mainly because of Jack Nicholson's performance as The Joker. You can tell he had a blast playing the role, and that gave the movie a few much needed funny moments ("He's at home, washin' his tights!" is still one of my all-time favorite movie lines.)

I don't get ANY of that from the Nolan movies; it's all gloom and doom, and Christian Bale's Batman needs some serious meds. Heath Ledger did a good job with The Joker, but mostly his performance just made me want to take a shower when it was over. There is TOO much depression and insanity in these movies, and they go on forever. Hardly a fun movie-going experience for me, which is probably why I won't be seeing the next one.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 pm

I also dislike the Nolan Batman movies, but I think his mistake was making things TOO dark.

Yeah that's my issue as well, it's the "gritty realism", the depresson/insanity, it's all this maudlin Kafka-esque angst, and utter lack of fun. Also Bale's Batman is insanely stupid needing everything like Justice and Buddhism explained to him like four year old. I can't root for a dipshit Batman who uses that ridiculous growl.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 am

In his quest for realism,Nolan's left out all the Gothic romanticism and brooding obsession.

I'd say the brooding obsession is still there in spades. "Know your limits, Master Wayne." "Batman has no limits." "But you do, sir." "Well, can't afford to know 'em."

As for the other half of it, I think one of the things I love about Batman is how versatile he is. He's not, actually, all about Gothic romanticism. Sometimes he's a straight up detective story. Sometimes he's Grand Guignol. Sometimes he's satirical. Sometimes he's a love letter to nostalgia (allow me to say that I'm sorry The Brave and the Bold wasn't a bigger hit for Cartoon Network because that show was GOLD - all of the funkiness of the Silver Age, none of the post-modern self-aware irony).

Which isn't to say that I think you're wrong. I can understand if Nolan's take isn't someone's cup of tea. I just wanted to point out that there isn't *one* interpretation - or genre - for Batman.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade on Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I think for all the complaints about their doom and gloom, Nolan's films can be pretty funny, particularly Alfred stuff. Bale's Bruce Wayne can be outright warm with his confidants, and he seems to have fun whenever he plays the hilt up on the career douchebag he wants the world to see Bruce Wayne as. And frankly, Begins was more feel-good than Returns. (Which also had a "Batman framed for murder" element, which they never resolved!)

The skylines are much less spectral looking, but I do admit I find the way Nolan frames them to be a pretty fascinating painting of the urban jungle, almost in a Koyaanisqatsi kind of way. But I also sometimes feel they don't live up to their "realism" aspect, (I mean, how does that microwave machine work anyways) since the Joker almost felt more supernatural in this incarnation than any other. Also, I don't think it's themes touched upon are unprecedentedly deep or anything. It also seems like Nolan kind of doesn't even care about the comic universe anymore. He's casting his pet actors in roles he made up (Or in Bane's case, heavily revamped), and has the major comic character be the most controversial, "studio" choice.

I just frequently switch sides in the debate. It seems so partisan at times, that I think The Dark Knight may be the least objectively received movie, outside of 2004's using Passion and Farenheit 911 as election mascots. I think 90% of people are going to take Rises how they want to take it, and now both sides hate me. Yay. Unity!

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy on Sun May 27, 2012 6:47 am

I took in a double feature of Dark Shadows and The Avengers yesterday.

Dark Shadows was better, by a wide, wide margin.

(I thought the Avengers sucked, big time. It pretty much exemplified why I hate Joss Whedon.)

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun May 27, 2012 1:35 pm

I was so amused and surprised by how much my mom adored Dark Shadows! She giggled throughout the entire movie when we saw it on Mother's Day. The first 30 minutes felt a bit shaky and slow, but after that, I was laughing my head off at all the inane things pouring out of Barnabas's mouth! And I never understood Eva Green's appeal until I saw the film. She looks gorgeous in motion, and I thought she was absolutely hilarious as Angie!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy on Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I was so amused and surprised by how much my mom adored Dark Shadows! She giggled throughout the entire movie when we saw it on Mother's Day. The first 30 minutes felt a bit shaky and slow, but after that, I was laughing my head off at all the inane things pouring out of Barnabas's mouth! And I never understood Eva Green's appeal until I saw the film. She looks gorgeous in motion, and I thought she was absolutely hilarious as Angie!

I was thoroughly impressed with Dark Shadows. Everyone showed up to play. Everyone. It's so awesome when the whole cast is totally game. Especially that one cameo in the bar, where I was all, "Is that? No! Things totally got awesome all up in here!"

The only things I hated (shallow though it is) is that Michelle Pfeiffer is starting to look like Madonna's better-looking twin. Which, better-looking, but still like Madonna; and the love story, which came off as totally ick.

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum