Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Off

+9
ActonBell
CherryFlame
Binky
Gallifrey Girl
Corvus
caltrask55
whatthedeuce
Raised by wolves
xyzzy
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Face Off - Page 2 Empty Re: Face Off

Post  xyzzy Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm

I didn't care too much for the dancing or the presence of an audience, but I liked the idea of the genre challenge. I absolutely loved Rayce's work. He's brilliant. I could see him working with Guillermo del Toro or at WETA, easily. I was really impressed with how helpful all of the former contestants were, or at least how they were edited to look helpful. :)
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 pm

I missed the beginning so I didn't see how they chose the genres or had to come up with the stories (which does seem a little Not The Point of the show, as does all the lights and obscuring fog at then end).

I did think Rayce's was the best concept and beautifully executed. RJ's was a little cartoony and Ian's concept was a little weak and his painting definitely unfinished. I'd have liked to see them have more time and produce something that's direct competition with an assigned idea rather than have to come up with their own stories.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

They showed posters with the three genres, drew names out of the hat, boom boom boom. Some minor attempted at edit-drama by having Ian's first and second choices were snatched away from him by the fickle finger of fate. (Everyone was happy with their choice, and clearly would have been happy with any of them. It's not like it was 'Fantasy', 'Horror,' 'My Little Pony' or anything.)

They should have just brought out three directors with scripts in their hands. "Here is your spoiled, budget-blind, over-invested little Napoleon for whom you will be working. The sets are being constructed, your lead actors are all his ex's, and he loathes the writer. Go."
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:42 am

The final three were all so likable and so talented that I couldn't be disappointed no matter who won. Though I was rooting for RJ from the very first episode I have to say that light to dark visual of Rayce's three models was FREAKIN AMAZING. It really truly looked like some trick of light and shadowing when they were standing next to each other. It so blew me away.

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:29 am

The finalists were actually my 3 faves of the entire season, and I would have been happy no matter who won, but Rayce has been my top pick since the third ep or so. His makeups were amazing with the shadow trick going on, and the models looked extraordinary lined up from light to dark with the transofrmative creature in the middle! I thought Ian's creatures had phenomenal silhouettes and sculpturing, too. The cage over one character's face was so creepy and visually arresting, and I loved that his Lucifer creature was white rather than red! I didn't dig RJ's final looks, but I thought he did a fantastic job with the vine makeup on the earth mother's body.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:29 pm

I was wondering when this would be back, so I went looking for info:

Syfy held open call auditons on November 19th 2011 in Los Angeles CA and Orlando FL. Filming began during spring 2012 to be ready for a summer release. Face Off season 3 will premiere on August 21 2012. The contestants were revealed to the public on 29 June 2012. This is the first season of Face Off where two relatives have been selected. Fraternal twin brothers Eric and Derek Garcia were chosen as contestants. Mckenzie Westmore will remain as hostess and Ve Neill and Glenn Hetrick will remain as judges with Neville Page taking over the role of Patrick Tatopolous as a judge. Tatopolous will appear in the premeire episode however.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm

No more Patrick T? Darn, he was my fave judge because he's the one that doesn't frighten me. I really love all the judges, but Patrick doesn't seem intimidating.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:18 am

Neville Page has some pretty nice credits--Avatar may have been a silly movie, but it was a pretty silly movie. I was always a little embarrassed for Patrick Tatopolous when they'd announce that his big fat credit was as the director of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. Eep.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:55 pm

A reminder that Face Off starts up again tonight. Looks like the first episode is 1 1/2 hours!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 pm

What an awesome challenge. I'm not sure any of the contestants really lived up to the promise, sadly, but I disagreed with the judges on the winners--I think the girls made a Star Wars character, and the guys just made a cool character.

And the guy that left? Dude, you got criticisms throughout your career because you suck, not because you're "original." Jackass.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:57 pm

And the guy that left? Dude, you got criticisms throughout your career because you suck, not because you're "original." Jackass.
Exactly. I was afraid they were setting up the other guy to leave because he got all the THs for the team, but after the loser guy quit I realized it was just because he wasn't around to give any THs.

Which leads me to a rant about competitive reality shows. Whenever teams butt heads the judges pull that "in the real world you have to work with difficult people" crap and IT'S NOT THE SAME THING. In the real world you can pull in other opinions to sway the project to one direction or the other or a supervisor can put the kibosh on divas, etc. In team comps there's no authority outside the team so someone has to acquiesce or else nothing would get done at all. Sometimes the person with the better skills or ideas just can't move the other person off a bad idea/design and the more talented person gets booted for being weak/not speaking up or because they're not as good TV as the tantrum-throwing less talented partner. It drives me nuts.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 pm

I totally agree, raised by wolves. In an actual production, everyone defers, ultimately, to the production designer/art director and the director. You wouldn't have 3 days to do a makeup without review, period. That concept would be up on the board with 100 others, it would get picked, you would do a gazillion critiqued iterations, and by the time it was on the model you'd have comprised in one way or another a thousand times. That's not the same as James Cameron picking two guys and saying "Go" three days before production on Avatar.

On an unrelated note, I found myself yet again wondering about costume fabrication. I have a hard time imagining that makeup artists also have the time to make costumes, so I wonder how that works behind the scenes. Are there sewers hanging around making stuff? Do they get to pick from a rack?
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Yeah, I thought the girls one had much more of a cantina vibe to it, though the guys one was excellent. But...isn't fabrication on costume bits a whole other skill set? The guy did a bang up job of it, but it's not make-up or prosthetics. That was amazing that the winner had time to not only do a great job on his own work, but help out other contestants too. Nice team spirit.

Drama guy did the worst foundation challenge creation imaginable. It was a terrible, botched, mess! I was worried she chouldn't breathe under there. And in the other challenge, was that ever lip service he gave when she was telling him he was hurting her as he put the front part on. Grr.

I'll miss Patrick, but new guy seemed fine.

Last edited by Gallifrey Girl on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:00 pm

But...isn't fabrication on costumes bits a whole other skill set? The guy did a bang up job of it, but it's not make-up or prosthetics.

ITA. I think the guys did a great job with their character, but it didn't really showcase their skills with make-up or prosthetics. It was impressive, but I don't think they deserved to win.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm really impressed by the redheaded woman! Her product was amazing...and gooey.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 am

Yeah, really liked her winning look.

While I think the right person went home, I'd be somewhat forgiving of "Jewel" guy if he'd done a kick-ass make-up even though he ignored the inspiration part, but it was super boring!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 am

While I think the right person went home, I'd be somewhat forgiving of "Jewel" guy if he'd done a kick-ass make-up even though he ignored the inspiration part, but it was super boring!

His makeup showed such a profound lack of imagination that I thought he should have gone home. I know he did some prosthetics, but it just ended up looking like a guy in a pirate outfit...holding some jewels.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

I think the right person went home. IIRC from last week CC is a beauty makeup artist and she just didn't have the FX skills. I think her biggest mistake was that she made everything symmetrical. Barnacles grow randomly and in groups and she put them on singularly and evenly. The jewel guy seems pretty dim. The instructions were to make a pirate that was fusing into the sea and he told the judges he didn't want to go over the top...um buddy? This is a fantasy FX competition. Everything you do should be crazy over the top.

The first two weeks the top looks included the same people, right? I think we've identified our strongest contenders.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:06 pm

I think this is the first time that I felt the whole group were kind of in the middle of the pack. I didn't think any were outstanding and none were terrible. I did quite like the white goat one, but agreed it didn't have much of the dragon element to it.

That one girl needs to quit injuring herself! At least they don't zoom in to give gory closeups (I'm looking at you Survivor.)

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 am

Roy's job was AMAZING. I guess what he did technically was two appliances with one on top of the other? That's a shitload of work! I'm really disappointed Nicole left over Tommy. Nicole got hit for not finishing her makeup but it was also shown in Last Looks that her airbrush crapped out on her, so while it's not a perfect excuse it's a little more forgivable to me that her paint job was bad. Tommy seems like a nice guy but he's not that good and his costuming was atrocious. He seems like someone who has a lot more enthusiasm for this job than talent/experience.

I know she doesn't have a shot at winning but I love Alanna (sp?) She tries hard, she's a klutz and her THs make me laugh. "If I had a tail, It'd be waggin" TBH I like this group as a whole. There doesn't seem to be a lot of snobbery in this bunch and no us vs. them mentality has shown up yet. Plus when they freak out, they tend to freak out at themselves instead outward and they keep working.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:36 am

OMG, I am such an idiot. I have seen this thread here all the time and I guess I thought it was like a TV series based on the movie on USA or something so I always ignore this thread. Meanwhile like three weeks ago I started watching this show and I love it. Today is the first time I realized that this thread is that show. Off to read all the pages.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Yeah, I'd've sent Tommy home over Nicole. Roy's was excellent. He had a clear idea going in and executed it really well. I thought the purple cat that was a top look was overrated as it was generic cat, not big mouth Alice cat.

Instant Monkeys, I kinda know the feeling. I'd seen the Legend of Korra thread here and thought it was a Kardashian spinoff. (Apparently there isn't one named Korra. I know that now.) I'd never gone in the thread. One day recently i09 had a headline on Legend of Korra, and I learned it was in fact a very different show to what I thought it was!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:Instant Monkeys, I kinda know the feeling. I'd seen the Legend of Korra thread here and thought it was a Kardashian spinoff. (Apparently there isn't one named Korra. I know that now.)
LOL, they might have one hidden somewhere.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I thought the guy whose evil queen seemed to have nothing to do with Alice in Wonderland or zombies should have gone.

I thought the winner's paint job needed work, but I understand why he won.

My favorite moment was the girl who was like "I'm from a Mennonite community," like there are no zombies there and that's why she's stuck.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Binky wrote:I thought the guy whose evil queen seemed to have nothing to do with Alice in Wonderland or zombies should have gone.

I agree it was disasterous, and it always makes me wonder how much they take into account previous work, as he'd been doing well up until this misfire, IIRC.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum