Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Off

+9
ActonBell
CherryFlame
Binky
Gallifrey Girl
Corvus
caltrask55
whatthedeuce
Raised by wolves
xyzzy
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Face Off - Page 4 Empty Re: Face Off

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I watched. ITA with you re: Tyler and Rashaad. I thought Tyler was going to win but I was so happy Rashaad did. At the beginning of the season I thought I would hate Tyler but he was so loveable and enthusiastic about everything. I think he's a lock for the next All-Star season and with his talent I think he'd be a real contender (again!)

It's so nice to watch a reality competition without scripted drama and villians. I wish more shows would have the same realization that the talent of the competitors is enough to make a show interesting without adding manufactured garbage.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 pm

I was also pleased Rashaad won. He's very talented. I also that I thought Tyler would win. George's unfortunate paint choices knocked him right out immediately. But it was so nice how he was super enthusiastic for Rashaad, anyway.

I definitely enjoy that they've very rarely had any villains and just allowed the drama to come from the nature of the art and challenges rather than personal conflict.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:59 pm

I just watched the finale and I'm also so happy with Rashaad's win. But also loved Tyler's stuff and think he would have made a great winner as well. You guys, I really love this show. I've realized that it's actually one of my favorites to watch. It's so stress-free, and like you said, Raised by Wolves, so BLISSFULLY DRAMA-FREE. It's just a bunch of talented nerds being excited about making crazy awesome makeups. I love when some dude I've never heard of who did the makeup on Paranormal Activity 8 or whatever shows up and they all get super fangirly. (I know, or assume, that sometimes on shows like this when they have a guest star they pump up the admiration a little, but it usually seems pretty genuine.) Meanwhile, I MYSELF geek out in the extreme when Michael Westmore comes in to walk around and offer his grandpa advice because I remember him from my days of being obsessed with Star Trek: TNG. I feel like EVEN I would be super honored to receive a critique of my makeup from Michael Westmore, AND I AM NOT AN FX MAKEUP ARTIST. So I can't imagine how they feel.

Anyway, I love Face Off. I think part of the reason it's so endeared to me is the stakes are so low, hee hee. They get a makeup kit and a trip basically, right? Oh, and a car. Do they get any money? I like a nice low-stakes reality competition show where it's all about geeks coming in and doing their specialized thing that they do, and they all cheer each other on and help each other and it's mostly about reveling in the thing they all enjoy doing. I enjoy Project Runway, certainly, but this is like its much calmer, comic-book-nerd cousin that I would actually be friends with.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am

They get $100,000 as well as the stuff you mentioned.  And it's already renewed for a 7th season (definitely) that starts this summer (I think)

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 am

I love the low-key aspect, too. Just people working together to do crazy awesome things. It seems like they take their work seriously and they take competition seriously, but they're not jerks about it. I love this show.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  pinguerin Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:22 am

All the contestants seem to either like each other or at the least grudgingly respect each other, and they help each other out even when they don't have to. The only drama happens when a contestant has a meltdown or gets hurt and even then everyone is worried about them. The focus is really on the challenge and not on "I'm not here to make friends" kinds of bullshit.

pinguerin

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh, I somehow missed the $100K thing (if only they announced it every single episode of the show...clearly I've learned to tune it out). So the stakes aren't THAT low, but I guess what I mean is it's not like say, American Idol where the promise is basically "You will become a celebrity recording artist and your life will change forever." Even the kids who are in the top 10, I always get nervous for them when they say stuff like "This time six months ago I was working as a waitress! And now, my life is all about getting my hair done and paparazzi. I've made it!" Like, you're famous NOW, and hopefully if you don't win (or even if you do) you can parlay your AI fame into some kind of music career, but there's a lot of "Thank god my old shitty life is over forever!" with those kind of shows.

Even Project Runway is that way a little, like the hope is that you will have finally "made it" as a designer -- CERTAINLY if you win, but even if you just get on the show for some people. With this one it seems like "I won Face Off, and now I can continue my career in the FX industry that I already have, with a new cool thing on my resume! Also a car! And some money." It's sort of like a prestigious professional award instead of "MY LIFE CAN BEGIN NOW." I guess maybe it's because FX makeup artists aren't celebrities. (Except for you, Michael Westmore. YOU ARE A CELEBRITY TO ME.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:02 pm

I can't believe we went a whole season without commenting. I could have told you week one Dina was going to win and I was thrilled for her. That crab she did for the final challenge was incredible! Totally amazing. Of course, once again another season where the competitors help each other. I don't think anyone's ever said something nicer in defeat than Drew did last night.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 am

I was so happy that Dina won. She was certainly the clear choice. I love her and she's obviously super talented. All the finalists were good though, as usual. Though I really didn't like Cig's ugly "I am a male human being" makeup. It just looked like a guy who had third-degree burns or something. Weird choice. It is funny (and transparent) when on the finale they won't say anything negative about any of the makeups to jack up the suspense. Although actually, I like it -- I want everybody in the finale to feel good about what they did and if the judges really hate one of the makeups I want them to keep it to themselves.

I was a little sad that Ve wasn't on the finale just because I also love her. How fun was that "judges' challenge" thing though?

I also loved what Drew said, and that they helped Dina get her mold open. This show continues to be my happy place. Even though sometimes I get the music from the "revealing the makeup" segment in my head and can't get it out.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:53 am

I'm watching this season because a friendquaintance of mine is competing, and I wanted to support her. The friendquaintance (we're not close friends, but we're more than acquaintances) is Darla and she's freaking rocking it. So happy for her. She's a super sweet girl, and obviously very talented, so I'm hoping she goes far. I do like most of the competitors. And I liked the wrench they threw in the competition at the end of the episode. Also, the monkeys are cute.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 pm

This is one of my favourite shows! I hope Ve is back to judge the whole season. While the other lady was perfectly fine, I adore Ve.

Interesting to mix it up by bringing back past winners as coaches. Not sure about it, I kinda think the contestants should swim or sink on their own ideas and skills. But I do like all three of the champs.

Dionneshea, that's fun to know someone! Hopefully she does well.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm not sure I'm happy with the returning folk. Fan-worshipping Rick Baker is one thing, but the three returning champs (while perfectly nice, talented people, to be sure) aren't exactly returning, Oscars in hand, to revisit the place that launched a storied career. It was like, last year. As you say, these contestants deserve their own spotlight.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:04 am

I really really think the wrong person went home last night.  IMO the only reason big guy left is because they didn't want Team Laura to lose another member. (Sorry I don't know names yet.)  He sculpted the cowl, and did all the fabrication.  The only thing she took credit for was the face the judges hated and admitting that they both did the shit paint job.

This show is the best for teams because they always end up helping each other so much anyway.  (Notice how there was no grumbling THs?) I was reserved about the coaches, but I think they've been extremely helpful for the cast.  With that said this team thing is making it so much easier on the contestants.  First comp was three aliens for four people, second was one alien for two.  Rayce, Laura and Anthony have had to do one alien alone in the same amount of time.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:58 pm

Well that was all kinds of (fun) terrible! I'm pretty sure they threw the third "best look" in there just so it didn't look so awful that there were only two good looks out of the huge lot.

When the guy that went home said he'd only been doing it for eight months, I admired that he'd even tried to get on the show, knowing that it's usually full of people with tons of experience.  (That reminds me of someone a season or two ago who had never made a mould before! It's like don't go on Survivor if you can't make fire, stay off Amazing Race until you've learned to drive stick shift, and practice moulds before Face Off!)

The two best looks were both amazing. I'm glad Glen pointed out how young the winner is. That is staggeringly talented for her age.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum