Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Trek Movies

+42
queenofdenile
Bob Genghis Khan
PrincessCleo
Red Wolf
naughty zoot
Shadowlass
rivki8699
punkysdilemma
PirateCatarina
Jamie
Skyblade
Bad Username
Putli Bai
mandalaya
Cynara
blixie
Binky
Escape
Melk
sagitare
Coneycat
Wildog27
sen3
Instant Monkeys
bbridges
Miss Moneypenny
Kiran
Esseilte
Poubelle
Cutebutpsycho
Agent Sculder
The Dude
chibimanda
BrightEyes
dionneshea
Raksha
RiverThames
big chicken
bookworm
QueenSix
laddical
Luthien
46 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Star Trek Movies - Page 6 Empty Re: Star Trek Movies

Post  Kiran Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

I'll probably still see it eventually. I'm too big a fan not to. Right now though I think I'm just personally annoyed by the thing that happened.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 pm

That's how I feel too. Really, I am crazy enough to buy a ticket to Peeples and then go see Star Trek. But I also figure I have another week to mourn before my birthday to figure out what I see for this month.

I'm just waiting to see someone ask JJ and Cumberbatch directly: "SO. WHAT. THE. FUCK?" Not to be an asshole, but I want to know what the fuck is going on.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Excellent movie. Great action, solid performances from Pine, Quinto, Pegg. Even Cumberbatch is excellent. And there are some truly great nods to the original continuity.

But the Big Spoiler... it really does just cast a pall over everything. It's wrong in every way. Creatively, ethically. It's really something I'm having a hard time getting past. All the worse because the movie itself is AMAZING. But JJ and his team wanted to play their stupid game and it's hurt the film in a very core way.

And once again, a little schadenfreude is to be had over the fact that the new timeline undoes everything except Enterprise. No blatant references like last time with Archer and Porthos. But there's a moment when Admiral Marcus talks about the problems with the Klingons ever since first contact that reminds us that Enterprise happened and it's the only thing that still exists untouched in both timelines.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 am

So I did genuinely enjoy it. It's a well-made movie and the cast all do excellent jobs with what they have. But that said, laddical is right: the BIG SPOILER is a huge problem all around.
Spoiler:

There were some fun fannish bits I liked, though!
Spoiler:

There were also some plot holes (um, Earth has more than one ship, right?). But I loved how much Scottie got to do, I loved McCoy being McCoy, and I sure did enjoy Chris Pine's pretty face in 3D. It's just not a movie you can think about too hard. Which is sad, because Star Trek, to me, has always been the sort of science fiction you CAN think about (well, maybe don't think about all their science too hard). I keep thinking back to JJ Abrams being interviewed on the Daily Show, where he told Jon Stewart he though Trek was "too philosophical." Abrams's Trek isn't nearly philosophical enough.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 pm

My mom and I just got back from seeing this and we're both pretty disappointed. First, the whole SPOILER business does leave a bad taste in the mouth. Then on top of it, the movie was...okay. Just okay. There were moments that I liked and I still love the cast and think they're perfect, but...meh. Maybe the even numbered movies in Ultimate-verse Star Trek are going to be the bad ones, instead of the odd numbered ones in 616-verse!

About the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Sat May 18, 2013 12:46 am

Well, to be fair
Spoiler:

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat May 18, 2013 12:54 am

Well it's not like

Spoiler:
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat May 18, 2013 2:48 am

EDIT: IMDB has a casting spoiler, so if you're still trying to avoid that, don't click the link. Or look up Into Darkness on their site.

Question: Both of Kirk's parents were listed in the credits. (They're on IMDB, too.) Where in the movie were they and what the heck did they do? I don't remember them at all.

(Also, it amuses me that Cupcake is actually named Cupcake in the credits, especially since I don't think he actually gets called that in this particular film.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sat May 18, 2013 3:19 am

I spent most of the movie hoping that
Spoiler:

I was sitting next to Narfzz when the credits rolled and this picture articulates what I was feeling perfectly.

I still liked it overall, but between the holes in the plot and that, I don't think I'll buy it.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sat May 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Poubelle wrote:
Question: Both of Kirk's parents were listed in the credits. (They're on IMDB, too.) Where in the movie were they and what the heck did they do? I don't remember them at all.

Maybe
Spoiler:
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  PirateCatarina Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm going to come out and say that I really liked the movie, overall. Yes it had a few weird bits and I'd LOVE to hear some reasoning behind The Spoiler, but I came out of the theater more pleased than displeased with the movie.

PirateCatarina

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Jamie wrote:
Poubelle wrote:

Maybe
Spoiler:
That was it exactly.
Spoiler:

I just got back from it and I more or less liked it. I found it really predictable. Like, I could have predicted the entire outcome of the film by a third of the way in, and did. I kept hoping they weren't telegraphing things that obviously, but it turns out that they were. Also, it did nothing to change my mind that Benedict Cumberbatch is a strange alien creature whom I do not enjoy looking at. He's a fine actor, but I find him too odd looking to countenance in 3D on a big screen.

I think the cast is the strongest thing about the franchise. They need to hand over the storytelling and directing to someone else. JJ was OUT OF CONTROL with the lens flares, even more so than usual.

Last edited by dionneshea on Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 am

Saw it (spent a long time agonizing about it) and because it was my birthday, my friends paid for my ticket. I think some of it was also to avoid me getting tossed out of the theater for buying a ticket to 42 and then going to meet them in the theater.

"This is not what grown-ups do," the mister told me.

"It's my birthday. I can do what I want," I replied.

Anyways, I honestly think Iron Man 3 was better (admittedly I saw it yesterday and LOVED it). Not just because I'm still upset with the spoiler, but the pacing lagged and some of the surprises were just meh. If they were waiting four years for the right script, what the hell was the original script they had?
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sun May 19, 2013 12:41 pm

I have a feeling we're in the minority with our outage, sadly. I went and saw it again with a large group of friends yesterday, and they didn't have a problem with it.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sun May 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Yeah. I got into it with a friend who was all "How do you know BC wasn't cast because he was the right man for the job?"

I think that the whole spoiler thing was just a ruse to keep people from organizing an ability to ask real questions. It's hard to ask about an "alleged" thing.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Saw it last night, liked it overall. Didn't find it had the emotional weight they wanted it to have in certain spots, but liked it overall.

Spoiler:
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sun May 19, 2013 12:52 pm

I think you hit it on the head Punky with what left me meh. I haven't seen the original, but there were moments where I felt like the callbacks were just getting to be a bit too much.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I thought that moon had exploded in Undiscovered Country. I was confused as to why is exploded decades early.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sun May 19, 2013 2:43 pm

I was fanwanking that the overmilitarization of the various factions in the reboot universe meant they overmined the moon 50 years early.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun May 19, 2013 3:30 pm

That's pretty much what I concluded as well. Which also explains the presence of the Dreadnaught class ship that appears to be a match for Galaxy insize and Defiant in armament a century early.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Saw it. Enjoyed it, despite the fact that aspects were clearly
Spoiler:
Despite that, there was a lot in the core to enjoy.

With regard to
Spoiler:

As for Big Spoiler Itself :
Spoiler:
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Sun May 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Spoiler:
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 am

OK, here's a petty thing, but: not a single alien, save the Klingons, Spock and the one Orion* lady running through San Francisco is a Trek Alien. Not. A. One. They have a bunch of aliens, even serving on the bridge, but I couldn't tell you what they are. What's up with that? Are Andorians or Tellerites that hard?

--
*- Same in the first one, and I could accept that changes in the timeline had the Orions in the Federation, but... come one.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon May 20, 2013 2:52 am

I had a half hour argument with my mother this afternoon as to whether it was a good film or not. My mother is an old-school Trekkie who really didn't like the first reboot movie, but loved this one. I'm simply the daughter of a Trekkie, so I don't have the emotional attachment that she does. We started talking about The Spoiler which my mom didn't realise was a spoiler as she's a luddite who doesn't own a computer, much less go on the internet.

Spoiler:

I don't know, the more I think about it, the less I like it. There were definitely things about the movie that I loved, but as a whole? Not so much.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 am

The more my mom thinks about this movie, the angrier she gets. She emailed me this article about the total mishandling of everything surrounding the SPOILER. And then I had to go to the emergency room again last night at, like, 2 am because I was having more gallbladder issues and as we were driving to the hospital and I was moaning in pain and trying not to vomit all over the car, mom went off on yet another rant about how she thinks this movie was a stiff, forced parody of Star Trek and how she really hopes JJ Abrams' Star Wars commitments means he's not going to be involved with the next one. Her over the top nerd rage was so hilarious to me, it actually made me feel a little better!

I do actually agree with her that JJ Abrams doesn't really get the philosophy behind Trek. She saw him on The Daily Show and he was talking about how he never liked Trek growing up because it was too philosophical and preferred Star Wars, but through making these movies he gets it now. No, actually, he doesn't. The awesomeness of the first movie must have been a fluke.

Ah well. Better luck next time, Trek!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next