Star Trek Movies

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Trek Movies

Post  Kiran on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Hes a Sikh, yes and East Indian, which is exactly what I am, so while I'd be angered by any and all white washing this one hit a bit close to home.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

I totally get that. The whole whitewashing thing hits really close to home for a lot of people -- see the Avatar the last airbender, rumors of a live action Akira set in LA, etc.

It always grosses me out. There's a lot of good Asian and Asian American actors out there looking for work. You can find and cast one.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Irfaan Khan probably has some free time, I mean its not hard.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Kiran wrote:Irfaan Khan probably has some free time, I mean its not hard.

My Trekkie best friend and I came up with five talented British/American actors of Indian descent in about thirty seconds. I could think of no reason whatsoever to cast the whitest white dude on the planet as a Sikh.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Well lets be fair its not like India has the worlds largest film industry full of actors, even not counting the ones that have had cross over success....oh...wait...
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah, I didn't want them to do Khan at all because it was already done so well that a retread would just be irrelevant. And once they cast Cumberbatch I was really hoping that all the Khan talk was just wrong. There is no need to actually be less progressive in casting than a show made in the 1960s.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 am

Now I feel like an idiot because I always assumed (now keep in mind I am not super versed in TOS) that Khan was supposed to be Latino. You know, because of Ricardo Montalban.

Yes, even though his name is Khan. Sigh.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 am

Kiran wrote:Irfaan Khan probably has some free time, I mean its not hard.

For reals. There are like 5 awesome Khans that could play Khan.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:12 am

I was trying to work out the timeline to see if they need to use Khan or not, and I think they can drop him from the new timeline entirely if needed. Since things have diverged significantly, maybe the Enterprise won't come across the Botany Bay and awaken everyone. It makes a little more sense for Gary Mitchell to still be part of the alternate timeline since everyone associated with Starfleet seems still to have come through into their traditional roles, albeit at different ages and with slightly different backstories, but if the Enterprise goes exploring the final frontier at a different time with essentially a different crew, they don't have to follow the original series as much. [Terry Pratchett once wrote about "the great big multiple universes 'get out of jail free' card", which J. J. Abrams must carry around in his wallet].

And I have officially over-thought this.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:33 am

The problem with Khan (in addition to whitewashing with Cumberbatch) is he's literally the most known Trek villain. Even the most non-Trekkie people are familiar with Wrath of Khan. So why do it? It's like covering a Led Zeppelin song; even if you do it really well, it seems largely unnecessary.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:34 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:Now I feel like an idiot because I always assumed (now keep in mind I am not super versed in TOS) that Khan was supposed to be Latino. You know, because of Ricardo Montalban.

Yes, even though his name is Khan. Sigh.

I didn't realise Kahn was Indian until this whole whitewashing outcry and I looked it up. I was, and still am, incredibly annoyed with myself for not knowing that sooner. How many times have I watched Star Trek 2, for crying out loud?! Granted, I only saw TOS episodes once when I was a teenager but still. I should have known that.

Now that I do know, I don't want anybody white going anywhere near that part. But it seems BC might be playing Gary Mitchel? Karl Urban made a remark about it in a Judge Dredd interview and apparently there were repercussions.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:40 am

This is apparently J.J Abrams' punishment to Karl Urban for his slip of the tongue.

Link

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:48 pm

I love Karl Urban. That is all.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am

Crazy ass theory I have from the new trailer:

Spoiler:
Cumberbatch is young, angry Picard from a screwed up future. I say this because I honestly thought his voiceover WAS Patrick Stewart at first.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:52 am

That's interesting, RiverThames, because
Spoiler:
when I played the trailer for my mother right now, she asked me if that was 'Jean-Luc' speaking. (She can never remember the name Picard but has no problem with Jean-Luc. It amuses me that she feels she's on first name terms with the Captain of the Enterprise). But she does know who Benedict Cumberbatch is (even if she can't remember his proper name, hence the moniker Paddy Joe Cumberbund) and has recognised his voice on other occasions.

I have also seen the theory put forward that perhaps Alice Eve is playing Dr Elizabeth Dehner, and if so does that make Benedict Cumberbatch
Spoiler:
Gary Mitchell who has become God like somehow and is pissed off about something or other and is back to be vengeful person.

I don't know either way but I am enjoying all the speculating.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm sticking with my original theory:

Spoiler:
Mutant tribble.

I'm interested, but honestly, if I never see another crossover of Sherlock with Star Trek (or The Hobbit, James Bond, Supernatural, etc.), it will be too soon.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 pm

How dare you speak ill against the epic 12 part fanfic I am writing about if Spock/Kirk and Sherlock/Watson were gay lovers at Oxford in the early 90s and engaged in dramatic couples swapping. Its like a dark, British gay version of Singles. With Laser Cats.

Your loss, tbh.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

I <3 Kiran so much.

That is all.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Kiran wrote:Its like a dark, British gay version of Singles.

You realize, I have to ask: who is the Bridget Fonda in this scenario?
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:09 pm

I liked the trailer, but I have to say the music made me think that any second Christian Bale was going to show up to help Spock kick some ass.

But I did love the voice-over and the fact we actually didn't see much of Benedict Cumberbatch in the actual trailer. I have to say I'm finding it very interesting that really using his presence in the film so heavily in the early marketing.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 pm

You realize, I have to ask: who is the Bridget Fonda in this scenario?

Chekov. Duh. Who else could really nail that optimistic ingenue thing.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am

Agent Sculder wrote:I liked the trailer, but I have to say the music made me think that any second Christian Bale was going to show up to help Spock kick some ass.

I thought it looked pretty much exactly like the early trailers for The Avengers.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I've only seen Ben in non-action type roles so it was a bit weird (not in a bad way) to see him leaping about brandishing big-ass weaponry. I bet he had a blast, though!
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Kiran wrote:How dare you speak ill against the epic 12 part fanfic I am writing about if Spock/Kirk and Sherlock/Watson were gay lovers at Oxford in the early 90s and engaged in dramatic couples swapping. Its like a dark, British gay version of Singles. With Laser Cats.

Your loss, tbh.

Throw in Bond/Q where Q is the youngest Holmes brother and a coffeeshop, and you've just written Tumblr: The Movie.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:
Kiran wrote:How dare you speak ill against the epic 12 part fanfic I am writing about if Spock/Kirk and Sherlock/Watson were gay lovers at Oxford in the early 90s and engaged in dramatic couples swapping. Its like a dark, British gay version of Singles. With Laser Cats.

Your loss, tbh.

Throw in Bond/Q where Q is the youngest Holmes brother and a coffeeshop, and you've just written Tumblr: The Movie.

Oh my god, you have also written Miss Moneypenny's Fandom Pet Peeves: The Movie.

My only opinion on the teaser is that it needed more Karl Urban.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top