Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

+34
Gillian
choubetcha
Shadowlass
dionneshea
airisu
Snarryfan
chick binewski
Matinee
Red Wolf
CaroJC
Author By Night
Eris Rising
year of the cat
Kiran
katesti
Gilraen
RiverThames
biakbiak
Carrie Ann
dreago
Sheli
Putli Bai
SNeaker
blixie
ActonBell
swsa
TiffanyNichelle
allochthonous
Poubelle
gannetguts
Bad Username
Raksha
ulkis
queenofdenile
38 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Empty Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post  queenofdenile Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:58 am

Yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the airing of the show's first episode.

Our show is so OLD, y'all. And I still love it to pieces.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Empty Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post  ulkis Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 am

ha, really? I still remember seeing a billboard for it before it started airing and thinking, "they're going to make a tv show from that weird ass movie?" I have no idea how I started watching Buffy, only that I started watching it in the first season but not from the start . . . embarassingly my best theory is that I tuned into an episode because I didn't change the tv after 7th Heaven was over.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

I STILL LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH! It may be 15 years old, but it really holds up, so much better than most shows certainly. I own the big full series boxset and I rewatch it all the time and it still sucks me in every time.

I actually started watching the show from the very first episode back in the day. I had no idea what the hell I was watching, but I'd been channel surfing and caught a glimse of Sarah Michelle Gellar and proceeded to spend the next hour going "Where the hell have I seen her before? This is driving me crazy!" By the end of the episode I was hooked, although I didn't figure out where I'd seen her before for another couple of weeks (it was on All My Children. The blonde hair and the massive genre switch totally threw me).

Has anyone been following Mark Watches for this show? He's done the first three seasons and has started on the fourth and is reviewing Angel now too. I like seeing someone discover something I love for the first time. It gives me vicarious Buffy Joy.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Raksha wrote:I STILL LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH! It may be 15 years old, but it really holds up, so much better than most shows certainly. I own the big full series boxset and I rewatch it all the time and it still sucks me in every time.

This is exactly how I feel about it. My sister and I watch a re-run on Sci-Fi each morning when we can, even though we've seen the whole series several times.

I didn't watch from the start either, I knew the show was being made, and remember being interested because I liked the movie, but I just never got around to watching it. Then on a whim I picked up the Season 1 video and I was hooked. I just love that the show's so layered, it can be funny one minute and devastating the next.

It took a couple of watches, but I recently realised that in the scene where Spike tries to rape Buffy there's no score, which just makes it all the more chilling.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm

I still always say it's my favourite show whenever anyone asks me what my favourite tv show is, and it's been off the air so long. I've been doing my annual rewatch and goddamn, I cannot get over how short Buffy's skirts and dresses were in the first two seasons -- kicking vampire arse must have involved some undie flashing as well.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I recently got my friend to agree to watch some episodes with me if I watched some of HIS favorite show, and I got so excited that I made a list of episodes and had to narrow it down three times. This show STILL does this to me.

I'm also enjoying Mark's reviews a lot. I think it's some of his best work, really - he's cutting down on all of the "privilege privilege privilege!" talk, and his personal anecdotes seem a lot more relevant to the episodes in question.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:08 am

ulkis wrote: . . . embarassingly my best theory is that I tuned into an episode because I didn't change the tv after 7th Heaven was over.
WGN would usually show promos for it during Deep Space Nine episodes. Initially I thought it sounded SO stupid, then one day in the summer all the other reruns were boring so I ended up watching "Lie To Me." My mom started watching it with me and thankfully she fell in love with it too, because I was 10 at the time and didn't have final say over what I could watch. Of all the shows I could've become obsessed with at such a formative age, I'm glad it was this one.

(I mean, all my classmates who were watching Dawson's Creek back then turned out kinda boring.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Linked from Mark Watches - 115 Reasons We Love Buffy. As a former Buffy/Angel shipper (I wore out my video of that bit in "Becoming, part 2", you know the one), I support all of these.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:23 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I recently got my friend to agree to watch some episodes with me if I watched some of HIS favorite show, and I got so excited that I made a list of episodes and had to narrow it down three times. This show STILL does this to me.

I'm also enjoying Mark's reviews a lot. I think it's some of his best work, really - he's cutting down on all of the "privilege privilege privilege!" talk, and his personal anecdotes seem a lot more relevant to the episodes in question.

See I worried that he would be doing all that privilege social justice stuff that over time turned me off to his reviews which is why I stayed away from his Buffy reviews but if that's not the case maybe I'll check it out.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I can't get down with Mark's Joyce adoration. It's so...random.

My opinions have changed so much over the years. I was such a shipper extraordinaire when it aired, and now I'm pretty much "meh" over all her love interests. I have episodes when I love them, episodes where I couldn't care less, and episodes where I'm so annoyed by how assy they are. My love for Buffy herself grows with every viewing though. Almost every reaction I have now goes through the filter of how it affects her growth as a person and her overall journey.

And the comics don't exist in my world.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Yeah, the way Season 8 ended, especially
Spoiler:
really colours my viewing now.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I read the first couple of comics, and they seemed like such an afterthought that I couldn't go on. Joss didn't seem to put a lot of attention or care into them.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:32 pm

swsa wrote:I can't get down with Mark's Joyce adoration. It's so...random.

My opinions have changed so much over the years. I was such a shipper extraordinaire when it aired, and now I'm pretty much "meh" over all her love interests. I have episodes when I love them, episodes where I couldn't care less, and episodes where I'm so annoyed by how assy they are. My love for Buffy herself grows with every viewing though. Almost every reaction I have now goes through the filter of how it affects her growth as a person and her overall journey.

I felt that way during the first three seasons. And then when Angel came back late in the fourth season and then they started laughing at themselves, I was all, "what? these two have actual chemistry?" and kind of became a shipper in retrospect. I attribute my liking that scene to the fact that like I said, they were laughing at themselves, which was something they never really did before, that they hadn't shared scenes in a long time, and that compared to Riley, it looked better in comparison.

My favorite scene between them is the one where Angel came to her in the cemetary after her mother's funeral. Very poignant.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:51 am

My opinions have changed over the years, too, especially in regards to the last season. (Season 7, of course, because the comics don't exist in my world, either.) The first time I watched, I was not into Buffy's story at ALL. Then I tried teaching and suddenly Buffy's story made so much sense to me. Plus the part of me that loves meta and loves geeks can't get enough of "Storyteller."

In terms of love interests, Spike is still my favorite. With Riley, the less said, the better. With Angel, I felt like they had good chemistry when they were making out and good chemistry during the really melodramatic scenes, but when they tried having normal, quieter conversations, I felt myself falling asleep.

See I worried that he would be doing all that privilege social justice stuff that over time turned me off to his reviews which is why I stayed away from his Buffy reviews but if that's not the case maybe I'll check it out.

He still mentions it sometimes, but I think it's more thoughtful and organic to the episode in question instead of reactionary anger. And there's much less of it.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

My favorite scene between them is the one where Angel came to her in the cemetary after her mother's funeral. Very poignant.

See whereas for me DB looked like he wanted to be anywhere else in the world than in a scene with SMG, somewhere between disinterest and disgust, his face throughout said, "Check Please?" I appreciated that that was nice moment for Buffy, much like the end of Prom, but eh. B/A should have ended and stayed that way for good when he went to hell.

My opinions on the show are mostly the same and even more firmly held, but I was out of college when I started to watch.

Season three is so weird for me, when I go through the episodes there is a lot to like individually and yet it is absolutely my least watched set of Buffy DVD's (of course I don't and will never own S4) I feel like that season is mostly about Angel, Willow and Faith, there wasn't enough Buffy in that season of Buffy for me. Meh.

Season 2/7 are a total joy in every way though, and I can never decide which I love more, while S1 is cheesy good times, with some painfully dull lulls.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:48 am

I feel similarly about S3. There are very few individual episodes that are weak, and even something like "Choices" isn't bad, just filler. But I feel like the season stopped being about Buffy after the first six episodes and she was eventually set up as a kind of supporting player in Angel and Faith's arcs.

Which is still better than S4, where she's a supporting player to Riley. Why why WHY did they ever think that making a season and a half about Riley Finn was a good idea? I still need my "all Giles and Spike" edit of S4.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:53 pm

15 years. Jesus. I'm old.

And I haven't actually watched an episode in...almost nine years! Wow.

Maybe someday I'll do a rewatch. It'd be more likely if I were trying to introduce somebody to it. But Seasons 5-7 don't exist at all in my head. La la la la, I can't hear you.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:08 pm

blixie wrote:
Season three is so weird for me, when I go through the episodes there is a lot to like individually and yet it is absolutely my least watched set of Buffy DVD's (of course I don't and will never own S4) I feel like that season is mostly about Angel, Willow and Faith, there wasn't enough Buffy in that season of Buffy for me. Meh.

That's how I feel about S4 - the overall arc was ridiculous, but there were some wonderful episodes, especially "Something Blue," which is one of my favorites. Also "Beer Bad," which people either seem to hate or love, but I find hilarious.

I'm not sure which of my opinions is more unpopular - I didn't hate Riley (at least at the beginning), and I didn't like Angel. It might be because of how I got into the show. I didn't start watching until S5, and my introduction to the earlier seasons was a "best of/fan favorites" marathon on one of the cable channels. So of course I got a big dose of the S2 Angelus arc, and to this day, can't believe any of them, even Buffy, ever forgave him or worked with him again.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:26 pm

I liked Riley. I didn't like the structure of the Initiative arc at all (Xander really should joined to give the Scoobies a real stake in it), but I liked Riley as a character just fine, and I thought he was a good post-Angel (and Parker) boyfriend for Buffy to have. Not True Love, or Forever but something a bit simpler and easier to have for a short time.

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:08 pm

I had no idea it had been a full 15 years. I was 10 and watching this show? Why did my parents let me?

Without knowing about the anniversary, I started my own re-watch a few weeks ago. I forgot how fun and sweet the first few seasons were. Right now I'm at the beginning-ish of season two and I am loving it. But watching the cute Oz/Willow interactions is incredibly bittersweet. They were my big OTP. Funny how even at 11, I was more interested in the funny sidekicks than the main, dramatic relationships. Angel? Spike? Whatever. Just don't take my Willow/Oz!

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 pm

I would have liked Riley fine if his character development had not taken over as the primary arc of a whole season instead of, well, the title character of the show. When people complain about the last few seasons being All About Spike instead of Buffy, I just want to point to S4 and go, "Hello?!" Why why why were we spending all this time on a poorly-represented MILITARY arc on a fantasy horror soap opera comedy, why do I give a shit about his struggle with authority and crap when I JUST met this guy, why is he so so boring with no charisma, WHY.

And that was even before the whole "I cheated on you because you weren't sensitive to me enough when your mom had cancer and you don't deal with your emotions the way *I* think is best, and by the way I'm leaving tonight and even though I was the cheater YOU have to save this relationship. See ya!"

At one point I thought I was getting over the Riley hate, I really did, but it's gotten worse over time. I hate him more than Dawn, Tara, Kennedy, Wood all rolled together.

So of course I got a big dose of the S2 Angelus arc, and to this day, can't believe any of them, even Buffy, ever forgave him or worked with him again.

Hoo boy, I feel you on that.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:05 am

And that was even before the whole "I cheated on you because you weren't sensitive to me enough when your mom had cancer and you don't deal with your emotions the way *I* think is best, and by the way I'm leaving tonight and even though I was the cheater YOU have to save this relationship. See ya!"
This has to be one of the best two sentence synopsis of why Riley pisses me off sooooo much I've read in awhile.

Now, do one for Angel/Buffy and why what's romantic at 15 is just creepy and all sorts of wrong at 30/300. ;)

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 am

Hee! That requires a little more thinking, as I don't hate Angel, but someday, perhaps.

It figures that after I compliment Mark's reviews on being more thoughtful than usual and recommend them to people, he does an entire CAPSLOCK review of..."The Initiative." Really? That episode makes you capslocky? It's good and all, but really?
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:29 pm

I started my own re-watch a few weeks ago. I forgot how fun and sweet the first few seasons were. Right now I'm at the beginning-ish of season two and I am loving it. But watching the cute Oz/Willow interactions is incredibly bittersweet. They were my big OTP. Funny how even at 11, I was more interested in the funny sidekicks than the main, dramatic relationships. Angel? Spike? Whatever. Just don't take my Willow/Oz!

I still feel sad about the way their story ended, I think it was handled very poorly. The only good thing to really come out of Willow/Tara were the rainbow banner wars on TWOP.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 am

It figures that after I compliment Mark's reviews on being more thoughtful than usual and recommend them to people, he does an entire CAPSLOCK review of..."The Initiative." Really? That episode makes you capslocky? It's good and all, but really?

Awww, don't you remember when we first watched BTVS and we were "totally, butt-crazy in love with" the show? Poor bastard, he actually thinks Riley is dreamy. He thinks he knows what's to come...he has no idea....

Heh. Reading that capslock entry actually made me laugh and put me in a good mood. All nostalgic and shit.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next