Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post  Snarryfan on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Beverly Hills 90210 did it pretty well for the first few years--I dropped out when Dylan left.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am

The ones that I noticed that do never had high school as the major setting (Gilmore Girls, Everwood etc). Though they had teen leads or major teenage characters that wasn't the main world of the show.

The only other one I can remember having a fairly easy transition was yes, original 90210. Oh and The OC which got again when they entered college. Buffy's salad years imo were the high school ones but I thought it still worked for a couple of years quite well. It was only post season five that it got rough for me, and even then there were still a lot of moments i loved.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  airisu on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 pm

I watched the show till the end, but yes, I think the first few seasons were the best overall, and I loved all the characters then. To me, the season 5 finale felt like it would have been a very fitting and natural (tho sad) ending to Buffy, with the "She saved the world. A lot." grave.

airisu

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Season 5 would have been a very natural ending, but just so depressing. I think I'd still be in mourning if the show ended with Buffy dead and not having a fictional life out there.

As for shows that make the transition to college, I actually think that with better writing Dawson's Creek might have worked out to make the most natural transition. I liked that they didn't all end up in the same university but they did end up in the same city and so they could still interact with each other. It made perfect sense that Joey went to an Ivy and that Jen and Jack went to a liberal arts-ish college and that Pacey just started working. The only shoe-horn in there was Dawson dropping out of USC to be with Joey. And I think they should have just come up with some prestigious film school in Boston that he got into in the 4th season rather than what they did, because love him or hate him, there was no show without Dawson.  

I hate the conceit of inventing a college just around the corner that everyone gets in to and goes to.  And I say that being someone who comes from a small city where most of my high school friends and I ended up in undergrad at the same local university.  UCSunnydale was just a step too far on the believability scale. A hellmouth I could buy, but that? No.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:50 am

airisu wrote:I watched the show till the end, but yes, I think the first few seasons were the best overall, and I loved all the characters then. To me, the season 5 finale felt like it would have been a very fitting and natural (tho sad) ending to Buffy, with the "She saved the world. A lot." grave.
I think that would have been too much of a bummer for a show like Buffy. It's about strength and perseverance and hope; I would have been so pissed if it had ended there, I probably would have kicked in my darn tv, heh.

UCSunnydale was just a step too far on the believability scale. A hellmouth I could buy, but that? No.
hee!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I actually didnt have a problem with Willow and Oz going to UCSunnydale, they wanted to help Buffy fight the good fight. The fact that another of their other classmates didnt get the hell out of Sunnydale as soon as possible was less believable.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 pm

I had a problem with the existance of a university in Sunnydale. Wasn't it like a tiny fairly dead end town outside of LA? Like...really?
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Kiran wrote:I had a problem with the existance of a university in Sunnydale. Wasn't it like a tiny fairly dead end town outside of LA? Like...really?
It's possible UC Sunnydale is supposed to be more of a campus-nearest-to-Sunnydale. So not really in Sunnydale proper, but close enough that it technically counts. (That's my reasoning, mostly because I had that problem as well.) That does mean that there's two colleges in Sunnydale though, unless you discard the one mentioned in the second season, where Buffy sneaks to some frat party. In general I think the show's always been a tad inconsistent about the technicalities in Sunnydale - sometimes it seems to be a close LA suburb, other times not so much, though it could also be that as an East Coaster, my definition of "close" is different than what it is on the West Coast. (That's what my friend who used to live in California would say.)

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:01 am

there was no show without Dawson
I completely disagree. There was no show without Buffy not because her name in the title but she was some part of every storyline ever filmed. Dawson was missing from so many storylines you could have written out his fivehead easily. I was never a person who really hated Dawson but he was never standout even during the first season, Josh, Katie ans Michelle popped so much more. I can see a Dawson's Creek without Dawson without a problem but I can't see a BTVS without SMG/Buffy.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Kiran wrote:I had a problem with the existance of a university in Sunnydale. Wasn't it like a tiny fairly dead end town outside of LA? Like...really?
Could have been a college town.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't think that's an issue--there are UCs and CSUs all over the state. When Xander called Sunnydale a one-Starbuck's town, I was jealous, because the town I was living in didn't have even one Starbuck's. But it had a state university!

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Holy crap, FX has started showing Buffy again! It's on at seven and eight every morning, even on weekends.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Eris Rising wrote:
Could have been a college town.
That's actually very possible. It could actually explain the Bronze a bit too, if it was originally meant for college kids but the Sunnydale High kids caught on. Hm.

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:07 am

Most adorable picture ever? Buffy/Oz, SMG/SG FOREVER!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:30 pm

I love it! I've been impressed by how well SMG has taken to twitter.

The AV Club just revisited Hush and watching the clips they posted made me so nostalgic. I haven't done a Buffy rewatch in way too long.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 pm

I've been listening to the FX reruns while I get ready for work in the mornings, and it's been so much nostalgic fun.  I'm annoyed they also show episodes on the weekends, because obviously I'm not going to get up early and watch those, so I've missed out on some good ones.  Like Hush.  It's not like I don't have the DVDs or Netflix, but stiiiiilllll.

It's the first time I've watched any episodes since Danny Strong started winning writing Emmys and writing movies that gross over $100 million.  So now every time Johnathan acts all losery and sad, I want to be like, "Dude, your life is going to turn out AWESOME.  Stick it out, little buddy."  Like, that Superstar episode could be his real life now for all I know, just without all the supernatural parts.  I just saw that he's writing the screenplay for Mockingjay?  Is that for real?  A million high fives, bro.  A million high fives.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:14 am

Woah, he wrote Recount? That was a pretty excellent movie. I especially loved the scene where Kevin Spacey is all "I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO WON."

And Game Change, too? Damn. He's kind of Aaron Sorkinesque. Maybe not as pithy or witty, but if you'd pointed at that guy and asked me what kind of movies he'd write, "political dramas" would not have been on the tip of my tongue.

Today I learned.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:57 am

I had to post this Twitter reunion of Buffy and Giles!

It's stupid how happy this makes me.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Then maybe I'm extra stupid for tearing up when I saw it! Or I'm just PMS-ing. Either way, I love it.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:30 pm

aw

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Not to be outdone, Charisma decided on her instagram that since it was her birthday, she'd dress appropriately. (NSFW)
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:24 pm

thereisagod
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 pm

laddical, you know she did Playboy right? I went into the skeevy adult entertainment store a few blocks from where I was living to procure that issue when it came out. It's still in my house somewhere...

Buffy rewatch time!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 am

Awesome. Good find!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:32 am

Oh yes, I had seen that. But this was a pleasant find today.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top