Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Works of L.M. Montgomery

+18
laddical
pinguerin
Kiran
killershrew
Tabby
bluebird
biakbiak
Algae
Shadowlass
maxell131313
MLIS
Renny Sue
The Lady of Shalott
big chicken
Luthien
Jasmine
punkysdilemma
ulkis
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Works of L.M. Montgomery - Page 3 Empty Re: The Works of L.M. Montgomery

Post  big chicken Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:32 pm

This Amazon review is my second favorite right after a certain review of Whitney, My Love.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:51 am

“This book is supposed to be Anne Of Green Gables NOT Anne Does Green Gables!”

This.
chibimanda
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 am

Oh, I didn't realize it was a CreateSpace book. Apparently you can just download public domain books, slap any old cover on them, and send them off to be published. So it's more likely to be some yutz in his basement with a copy of Word and a picture of the neighbor's daughter than a real publishing house that did this?
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Okay, so finally I have completed the Emily trilogy. All in all I liked it although when Mrs kent told the truth and Ilse dumped Teddy and Emily was STILL all "oh woe Teddy has long gotten past me" I was like this is friggin ridiculous. And Dean Priest was a creeper but I got to say it really was nice of him to give the awesome house to Teddy and Emily.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 pm

I finished Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat, and I think I may have the most engaged in these books outside of the Anne books. Put under spoiler cut cause I'm gonna blather a bit.

Spoiler:

And random question about "A Tangled Web" (which I haven't read) - what is the racism at the end of the book I've seen some people talk about?

ETA: Nevermind I checked it out. Having not read the book, I can't tell whether that character is supposed to be uncouth or not classy when they use the n word (like Mary is supposed to be in "Rainbow Valley") or if he's supposed to be some loveable rootable funny character. Either way, what a freakin' screeching halt for an end of a book.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:18 am

http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Avonlea-Green-Gables/dp/1402288972/ref=pd_sim_b_2

oh man look at these adorable new paperback covers for the Anne series!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Cute!!

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm

none for Rainbow Valley or Rilla though. boo!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:45 pm

I just finished reading the Pat books and A Tangled Web and: why do terrible things keep happening to cats in L. M. Montgomery novels? Cringe.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

I forget, what happened in the Pat books?

I guess cause cats were easy to wring for some emotional poignancy without actual killing any actual characters.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 pm

ulkis wrote:I forget, what happened in the Pat books?

When the girls get stranded at a (not actually unoccupied) cabin after their car runs out of gas, the weird guy who lives there talks about how he likes to roast up a kitten when there isn't any food. I thought Pat would be horrified since she loves her cats so much but she doesn't bat an eye.

(And then there's the bit where they pack off her favorite cat to another home. Not a horrifying fate, but a sad moment, until the cat makes its way home again. I totally over-project on moments of cats being taken away from The Only Home They've Ever Known.)

I still skip those pages in Rilla where Bruce describes what he does to Stripey. Cringe.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:10 pm

When the girls get stranded at a (not actually unoccupied) cabin after their car runs out of gas, the weird guy who lives there talks about how he likes to roast up a kitten when there isn't any food. I thought Pat would be horrified since she loves her cats so much but she doesn't bat an eye.

That doesn't ring a bell for me. Maybe my version was edited. But yeah, that is pretty awful. The Stripey stuff in Rilla is pretty sad but it doesn't bother me on a visceral level.

How did you like the Pat books overall? People seem pretty down on them but I liked them. Probably more than I did the Emily series, and definitely more than Jane of Lantern Hill (I wasn't a fan).

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:27 pm

I liked the Pat books too, though it got a little funny when it got all the way up to the Year Eleven chapter title of Pat's overwhelming spinsterhood. Heh.

As far as the lesser-known works of LMM go, I now can't remember if I actually finished The Story Girl. Or maybe I got bored in the middle of The Golden Road.

Whatever happened to that TV retread of Anne of Green Gables that people were worried about a few years back?
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:I liked the Pat books too, though it got a little funny when it got all the way up to the Year Eleven chapter title of Pat's overwhelming spinsterhood.  Heh.  

As far as the lesser-known works of LMM go, I now can't remember if I actually finished The Story Girl.  Or maybe I got bored in the middle of The Golden Road.

Whatever happened to that TV retread of Anne of Green Gables that people were worried about a few years back?

I really liked the Story Girl. I haven't gotten to the Golden Road yet though. I haven't read a Tangled Web, Kilmeny of the Orchard, or Magic for Marigold either. I don't know if I'll ever get to Kilmeny. It sounds weird.

Oh, it aired. I honestly thought, if it were an original story, it would have been well-written and well-acted. As an adaptation though? Horrible. It turned out Walter, Anne's father, had written to Marilla, and Marilla had hidden the letters and never told Anne her father was alive. Just no. And that was merely the start.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:32 pm

I just finished A Tangled Web -- there are too many characters to keep straight but it has its charms. Think I found it on Gutenberg awhile back but never got around to reading it till recently. Kilmeny is a pretty short book, though it's one of her rare ones where the POV is male (though there is still a creature of dulcet perfection running around, of course).

TV series -- I meant this one, I guess it hasn't aired yet. Assuming it doesn't suck, and assuming we get to watch it in the States, I hope they keep it to the proper time period so that someday they might actually work their way up to WWI. I don't know what Kevin Sullivan was smoking with his adaptations and I hope LMM's heirs were as appalled as the rest of us were, since I think I heard they're working with the producers of this new one.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

oh no, I never even heard of that. I don't mind more Anne adaptations but I would prefer if someone just did a Rilla adaptation already (or one of the other books)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 pm

I hope LMM's heirs were as appalled as the rest of us were, since I think I heard they're working with the producers of this new one.

Is that why the last few Sullivan productions have basically been Anne fanficton? He couldn't get the rights to the actual books so he wrote is own stories?

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:49 pm

The Golden Road is actually my favourite LMM book of all time. It wraps up the stories nicely, has some hints of tragedy, but overall leaves on a sweet note. But I like the King family the best. I wish the Road to Avonlea characters would have been closer to what they were in the books.

What happened with a cat in A Tangled Web? It's been so long since I've read it, I don't remember anymore.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:29 pm

big chicken wrote:
I hope LMM's heirs were as appalled as the rest of us were, since I think I heard they're working with the producers of this new one.

Is that why the last few Sullivan productions have basically been Anne fanficton?  He couldn't get the rights to the actual books so he wrote is own stories?

Maybe. But as someone who thought he veered mostly into fanfic territory already after the first Anne movie he made, I think he just doesn't like the source material that much.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 pm

dionneshea wrote:What happened with a cat in A Tangled Web? It's been so long since I've read it, I don't remember anymore.

I suppose this counts as a spoiler:

I didn't even like half of what Sullivan did in the second Anne adaptation. Anne of Windy Poplars is probably my least favorite of the books and he spends SO MUCH TIME there. Meh.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 am

ulkis wrote:
big chicken wrote:

Is that why the last few Sullivan productions have basically been Anne fanficton?  He couldn't get the rights to the actual books so he wrote is own stories?

Maybe. But as someone who thought he veered mostly into fanfic territory already after the first Anne movie he made, I think he just doesn't like the source material that much.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but it boggles me when people go to the bother of getting rights to books only to decide they don't like the source material and turn it into something different. I think that's why I find Bryan Fuller so refreshing: he actually likes and respects the books he's based his TV show on! Who'd have thought such a thing possible?!

When the Megan Follows Anne aired here in the 1980's, I loved it so much I had to have the books with the adaptation covers. It took me a while because 1980's Galway was not exactly packed with bookshops that were up to date on such things (and you had to go to Northern Ireland or Dublin for anything half decent) but I got them! I was so proud. If anyone wants to sell them or give them away, they'll be prying them out of my cold dead hand!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 pm

I didn't even like half of what Sullivan did in the second Anne adaptation. Anne of Windy Poplars is probably my least favorite of the books and he spends SO MUCH TIME there. Meh.

And he rips straight off of Little Women for the proposal scene, what the heck was that? And it's annoying because in Little Women, the fact that Jo and Laurie were alike was a point against them, and in "Anna", it was the reason that Gilbert and Anne were right for each other. I still like it, but I prefer the BBC 1975 Anne of Avonlea, shoddy accents and stage bound set and all. I would prefer most of all though if someone made an Anne of Avonlea/of the Island/House of Dreams sequel that was faithful to the books and had good production, heh. Although maybe that might be too much for one movie.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri May 02, 2014 7:05 pm

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:46 pm

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:20 pm

But it doesn't look like the annotations carry over into the Kindle version? At least in the sample I saw. Can someone confirm?
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next