The Alien Series

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Alien Series

Post  PrincessCleo on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 pm

year of the cat wrote:I just read Cleo's recap and the only answer I could imagine from the Engineer was:
Spoiler:
"If you don't eat yer meat you cant have any pudding."
Now I want a movie of just bitter British-sounding cyborgs and androids. "And then, they went to Citi-Alpha VI! Nothing is too stupid to do if you have DNA."
Heh. Apparently it's been linked on the front page of Livejournal, which I'm sure will... end well.

I'd definitely like to see it again, to pay closer attention to David in particular.
I ran out and saw it again the next day, and it is really, REALLY interesting to pay attention to his facial expressions during conversations with Vickers and Holloway. Actually, Theron's expressions themselves are kind of telling, in terms of
Spoiler:
Vickers being pissed off at her robot brother that Daddy likes better than his real daughter. They're what convinced me she herself wasn't an android after all.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:25 pm

It didn't occur to me until the third reading that the SCIENCE! caption was Thomas Dolby. Hee.
Also the dumb medi-pod (stupid programme) might be a myth shout-out to Prometheus and the vultures. Or Mary Shelley. IT's all there!
I think that is what is chafing the hides of some sci-fi fans: don't bluff answers, and then be all: there shouldn't be any! Dudes, we accepted the Force just on Alec Guiness. If you have less scientific protocol than sixties Star Trek: stay home.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 pm

See, I didn't have a problem with all the woo woo stuff, I had a problem the the poor storytelling. Characters were acting in ways that served the story, not the way actual humans act.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:40 am

The characters exemplified the rule that horror is dependant on the victims being idiots. A better script would have got them in danger without "I'm taking my helmet off".

I'm also supposed to believe TWO men would turn down the opportunity to be locked in a room with Charlize Theron?! Talk about Science Fiction!

Joel McHale spoof of the David commercial.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 am

Yeah, I think there ARE movies where characters are allowed to be that stupid, and they're usually monster mashups on SyFy. It's hard to be all like, "We are the INTELLIGENT, PHILOSOPHICAL summer blockbuster alternative" and then be like "with characters that are too stupid to live." As deep a fondness as I have developed for this movie, possibly in part because of the stupid, I want to sit down with SOMEONE, I don't know which writer or Ridley Scott or who is more responsible for any of this, and be like, "No, explain this to me. Use small words so I can understand it. These 'scientists' constantly do the stupidest things ever because why, exactly? I mean literally ever. Why?"

Also, the more I think about it, the funnier the line
Spoiler:
"I FUCKIN' LOVE ROCKS!!"
is to me. Is that even a spoiler? I don't even know anymore. That dude isn't really even a geologist, is he? He's just a guy they found in the Weyland parking lot, isn't he?
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:01 pm

I did not like this movie. And I really, really wanted to. Sigh.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:20 pm

The Dude wrote:Joel McHale spoof of the David commercial.

"No....I said, no." Hee!
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:52 pm

I liked it, but there was so much to forgive. The whole point of making it take place in two days undercut the movie. Had they actually extended the timeline and edited it would have allowed for the characters to come off as a little bit cautious and built a bit of suspense.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 am

Making my way through the "Making of " docs,and up to "The Making of Alien 3".

I just have to see the longer cut of the documentary called "Wreckage and Rape: The Making of Alien 3",mostly because I want to see Fincher having meltdowns on the set.

The doc still has some of that in it,but man. The Fox executives are almost as stupid as the crew of the Prometheus. Sure! Let's release a trailer before we start a script! Hey,let's build sets for one story then use them for a completely different version! Let's micromanage this kid director...

What a visually glorious mess Aliens 3 is. Well,the extended cut. If you could convince Fincher to work his magic on the footage,it'd be a classic film.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:44 am

Sure! Let's release a trailer before we start a script!

Oh, man, I'd forgotten that bit of nonsense. Wasn't the tagline something like "This time, we're defending Earth"?
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Shalamar wrote:

Oh, man, I'd forgotten that bit of nonsense. Wasn't the tagline something like "This time, we're defending Earth"?

Yep. "On Earth,everyone can hear you scream." Which implies awesome James Cameron-esque adventure.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 pm

I think I read an article somewhere -possibly on www.cracked.com - about the Alien 3 movie that might've been. Joss Whedon would've been involved. Wah.

Edited to add: I was close - it was "Alien Resurrection" that Joss Whedon was almost a part of:

Check out this link and scroll down. Bonus: it has the "hilariously misleading trailer for 'Alien 3'".

Last edited by Shalamar on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Case wrote:
Shalamar wrote:

Yep. "On Earth,everyone can hear you scream." Which implies awesome James Cameron-esque adventure.
It was something like "on Earth everyone can hear you scream."
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  P.D. Noosh on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:59 pm

It's SUCH a wasted opportunity that "Aliens...on EAAAAAAAAARTH" never got made.

I really dug Prometheus and found that most of the questions posed throughout were answered by the end. Sure, you have to do a LOT of inferring, but I appreciated that not everything was spelled out.

P.D. Noosh

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:47 pm

I was really looking forward to seeing this movie, and ended up somewhat disappointed. I thought it was visually gorgeous and I really enjoyed David's character, but the rest of it fell a bit flat for me. I guess I had too many expectations going in.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:24 pm

I talked about this with my brother this weekend and his theory about the prologue is that:
Spoiler:
The aliens start life on other planets by introducing their DNA into the environment, and what we saw was the alien killing himself to start life on Earth.

As far as why the Engineer got so furious when David spoke to him and started fucking shit up, he thought that it was because
Spoiler:
as per the theory above, aliens die to create life, and so the thought that one of their creations would want to live forever was repellent to him.

The first theory makes more sense to me than the second, but both are better than what I came up with, which was nothing.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 am

I saw this movie last night. I had expected a lot of things going in, some good, some bad - one thing I did not expect: to be so thoroughly bored. I don't know how someone who came up with the original thought of "the" alien could make something so snoozeworthy.
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:55 am

For me, the plot was a big old mess but it was definitely one of the most entertaining films I've seen this summer.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top