Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Page 2 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  PrincessCleo on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Jessica wrote:
the only one that I think does it well is GFY, and I remember a recent post on Kate Middleton (of all people!, given her fairly bland and classic style), where they put a warning on it that people tend to get nasty.

Thank you. I think we have it easier because we're not really reporting GOSSIP as much as just talking about people's pants. There are fewer doors open. That, and our readership is really great. But moderating comments is very tough, especially if you don't have someone dedicated to doing it (I wish we did; we don't, but luckily, as I said, Fug Nation is awesome). I wouldn't have comments open if I were Lainey either.
It was weird--I linked to the Julia Roberts/Lily Collins/Mirror Mirror post on Twitter, and someone replied back to me to the effect that y'all were "treating people like they're Hitler," and I was like, wait, did you just Godwin GFY? Over a post with the lines, "Wherever I go, the dress code is Julia. Whatever I do, it is Julia. I am my own thing," which--I don't like Julia Roberts much, but I kind of want that stitched onto a pillow? (You know, I assumed it was a Julia Roberts fan, but I wonder if it was one of the Mortal Instruments fans that Lily Collins is acquiring.) So... I forget what my point was. People are weird and snitty and they'll find a way to be that way no matter what you do, and what is this crazy person talking about, you were just talking about people's pants. Something.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:33 pm

People ARE weird whatever you do. That is one thing I have learned conclusively via the Internet. Sometimes the weird is AWESOME and sometimes it is just weird.

My own weirdness is that I am really dismayed that Gawker Blinds are no longer a delicious round up of other blind items. Where do I go now for all my Blind Items in a helpful Blind Items Stew? How am I supposed to live like this??
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Jessica wrote:People ARE weird whatever you do. That is one thing I have learned conclusively via the Internet. Sometimes the weird is AWESOME and sometimes it is just weird.

My own weirdness is that I am really dismayed that Gawker Blinds are no longer a delicious round up of other blind items. Where do I go now for all my Blind Items in a helpful Blind Items Stew? How am I supposed to live like this??

ONTD has a blind item tag, but the posts, as with everything else at ONTD, are erratic. Maybe we can each take a gossip site and commit to posting their blinds here? Are we that well organized and/or motivated?
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetle on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 am

I use blindgossip.com for a blind items round-up, because I am lazy that way. And I like to see who people are guessing in the comments section.

sweetle

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:34 am

Another source for a blind item round-up is the alt.gossip.celebrities blind items page.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 am

killershrew wrote:Another source for a blind item round-up is the alt.gossip.celebrities blind items page.

Holy crap. Blind items AND time travel!
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Crazy Days and Nights is apparently a big fat lying liar.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Holy shit, that's nuts. "Hai guys, I'm totally friends with Amber Tamblyn.....here's a FedEx receipt that proves it."
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:23 pm

I can't say I'm even vaguely surprised.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:44 pm

The four year old Fedex receipt is hysterical. In what world would he think that would make people think that they were friends!

Last edited by biakbiak on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Yeah, this doesn't seem remotely surprising. There's just something...off about his writing that has made me wonder about his truthfulness and state of mind.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Ha, I was just coming to post that.

I guess this means David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson aren't really shacking up. Well, I'll just go put the pieces of my life back together.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 am

The Hunger Games BI being discussed in that ONTD post (the essay length one allegedly written by one of the movie's stars) is so nutso. Enty is obviously trying to make people believe Jennifer Lawrence personally told him all this stuff but it's completely implausible. Quite apart from the idea of Jennifer Lawrence calling some random blogger to spill every detail of her own and co-stars sex lives and drug use, why all the stuff about "kids" and "grown ups"? They might be young but they're still adults. Is that really how Enty thinks 20-somethings talk?

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:18 am

off about his writing that has made me wonder about his truthfulness

Eh, I don't so much care about truthiness when it comes to Gossip/BI seems utterly beside the point. Not that I ever held CDaN in high regard when it came to credibility, I've considered 90% of what he says bullshit since the Timmy the not Tranny golden age actress item or whatever the hell that was. At the same time I think over the years he's eventually started to get more reliable sources, and a small percentage of his low level blinds now seem at least..plausible.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Pop'n'Fresh wrote:Quite apart from the idea of Jennifer Lawrence calling some random blogger to spill every detail of her own and co-stars sex lives and drug use, why all the stuff about "kids" and "grown ups"? They might be young but they're still adults. Is that really how Enty thinks 20-somethings talk?
I think that's what's bothered me about the whole Himmmm business. There were just so many things--turns of phrase--that someone who wanted to blow the whistle on the seedy side of Hollywood, etc., would just not say. The story about Natalie Wood--true or not, and apparently it is--was just described in such a sleazy, overly detailed way. And the whole diatribe about Hayden Panettiere and Diana Jenkins had such a pearl-clutching tone to it. I just don't believe someone who claims to be a huge A-list star who survived THE DARK SIDE OMG and came back would talk that way, even if they did want to tell all this to the audience of a random-ass gossip blog. Which I doubt. Enty's schtick at this point seems to be that Big Famous No Rly You Guys movie stars come and deliver gossip firsthand, and there is just no logical reason for them to do that.
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:33 pm

I think it's entirely possible that along the way he got real ones -- all it takes is for some people to think you're legit, and the tips come rolling in, I'm sure. But I do think he felt like he had to amp it up after the RDJ stuff and he's heavily fictionalizing and/or writing blind items that are basically his version of fanfic.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 pm

The thing is, I could imagine stars slipping a blogger snide little tips about OTHER people. I just have a real, real hard time imagining that someone's going to write an essay-length confessional about themselves, you know? That's when it gets super fanficcy, instead of just "Let's dress up a terrible old published story about Natalie Wood as if it's an exclusive from a third, really famous party."
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Perez Hilton (the person, not the site) has a new look.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Wow! Too bad he didn't get a personality transplant, though.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:42 am

Didn't Lainey lead the Jennifer Garner ho war? Who Laniey hates for basically not being Gwen, or something? Even though Ben and Gwen were already broken up? Lainey is so hard to fathom. It's like she will fight you to the death for white bread, really? )(Also my harddrive died and so did I yadda yadda, Happy Easter, yall.)
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:28 pm

year of the cat wrote:Didn't Lainey lead the Jennifer Garner ho war? Who Laniey hates for basically not being Gwen, or something? Even though Ben and Gwen were already broken up? Lainey is so hard to fathom. It's like she will fight you to the death for white bread, really? )(Also my harddrive died and so did I yadda yadda, Happy Easter, yall.)

I thought she hated Jennifer Garner for the same reason as the Fametracker crazies, for one of 1) breaking up with Michael Vartan a billion years ago, or 2) being involved with three guys in three years (one of whom she's still married to), also a billion years ago. Because apparently those two things make Garner a slut/mantrapper/maneater/ho in crazy-land.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:36 am

From Lainey's opener today:

The other day at dinner with friends, we were talking about a total douchebag we all know who mega-embarrasses himself on a regular basis at work. But here’s the thing: he seems way happier than we are. I mean, I can barely stand to be alive when I have to watch him do the sh-t he does and still, the people who feel the humiliation FOR him are way more miserable than the person humiliating himself. He’s blissfully oblivious; he’s snorting and guffawing his way ignorantly through life, a super loser, sure, but unaware and content.

Ugh, when Lainey is a mean girl like this it really hits a nerve. I suppose it's because I was shy in school, and never in the "popular" group, I get a junior high school flashback.

Matinee, I always thought it was because Garner (1) has bad fashion, and (2) is not as innocent as she seems, i.e., is more aware of and manipulative of her image that she seems. My answer to that is (1) who cares, and (2) who cares. I mean, she does look shlubby in pap shots, but looks lovely at Events (I love that tangerine Valentino (?) gown on her at the Oscars from years ago). I am pretty neutral on her as an actress, but thought she was great in Juno.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah Lainey does not really give a shit about Vartan (much less about Foley), and her only angle on that is having been a J. Lo fangirl and Jen Garner factored in ending a couple that was for Lainey super fun for gossip purposes. I think Garner burns her ass for that reason.

(1) has bad fashion, and (2) is not as innocent as she seems, i.e., is more aware of and manipulative of her image that she seems. My answer to that is (1) who cares, and (2) who cares.

I'll freely admit (1) I do, and (2) I do. If I didn't I wouldn't be reading Go Fug Yourself or Gossip sites in general. I have the opposite opinion of Lainey at least on the boring/taupe front, since I think Garner has given pretty good gossip all around and admire her exceptional PR manipulation/famewhoring.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I should clarify. I enjoy good and bad fashion too (therefore, GFY), but Jen Garner's bad fashion is boring, and I don't hate her for it, it's just boring.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

I think it says A LOT about the entitlement issues of gossip/entertainment reporters that they feel insulted by celebs trying to keep from losing their minds at having to answer the same five questions 300 times in one day. Are we really supposed to look down on them or consider them "children" for that? Whatever, Lainey.
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top