Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Page 11 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24 ... 38  Next

Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns - Page 11 Empty Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 am

swsa wrote:The thing is, I even LIKE Blake.

I like her too! But she has ZERO projects listed on IMDB right now. That is some failed evil genius, there.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns - Page 11 Empty Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  swsa on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:16 pm

This, then, is the answer to the remaining few among you who keep shouting at me over email about how Blake’s overrated and why celebrate her so hard. As an actor? There is no rating, don’t be ridiculous. But as a strategic manipulator of the media? As a participant in the fame game? This is, after all, what we’re here to observe, isn’t it? From the CW to Martha Stewart, Blake Lively - Blake Lively!!! - is now sticking a finger in JT’s face and outclassing everyone else on the sale. I should be asking you -- because how do YOU not get it?
Okay, one? Is there a Blake/Timberlake/Biel connection that I'm missing here? Like I could honestly see more of an angle that this is a middle finger to Jennifer Garner, considering the Affleck connection and Jen's love of Martha. But I don't get how EVERYTHING is about making a fool of Biel. It's really tired.

And two? I just...do not think a jump from the CW to Martha is as big as Lainey thinks it is. I'm fairly sure if they can meet her price, Martha would be happy to feature elements of Nina Dobrev's future wedding too.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 pm

I also...I really do like Blake and Ryan but I...also have gone from thinking Blake's publicist is paying Lainey to Lainey is so batshit this is the reality that exists in her head. Because I think Blake does have ambition but going from the parts she picks she seems to want to be taken seriously as an actor rather then a master media manipulator who is going to get a kid from her husband then divorce him, which is the story Lainey is giving out. Like, I would have liked to see Blake Lively's dress but frankly I was not salivating over it and did not freak out cause they just gave us a shot of their hands. And once again I like her. But while looking at Ryan Reynolds imdb he has signed up for some interesting sounding films (that I think fit him better then the action thing), Blake...has nothing. So like you said what is she manipulating for?

Also...on the flip side I DON'T like Jessica Alba, but Lainey's vitriol about her shopping at Target and how she WOULD NEVER really shop at Target and is clearly doing it for her brand is....also off to me. I mean I do think Alba is shilling the mommy thing but...she probably also does buy kids toys at Target.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I wasn't even sure where to put this, but it looks like pop culture is folding in on itself: HDU: a book about an internet pseudo-celebrity who mods a popular gossip website.

Naturally, ONTD reacts.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Putli Bai wrote:I wasn't even sure where to put this, but it looks like pop culture is folding in on itself: HDU: a book about an internet pseudo-celebrity who mods a popular gossip website.

Naturally, ONTD reacts.

I have to say, it's kind of a brilliant idea for a modern spin on a romcom. I can't deal with reading comments right now, so was ONTD's reaction generally positive or negative?
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:10 pm

I think 60% were trying to figure out who it was, the other 40% were hating using the excuses that it wasn't good, the title was bad and if a REAL ONTDER wrote it there'd be better info and the guy would be gay and in need of a beard.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Bumping to say I don't like Kim Kardashian but Lainey needs to get over herself. She is a gossip columnist and Kanye West just got her pregnant. Shes more relevant then Aaron Johnson.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Lainey really does seem to be living in her own reality these days. Was anyone really breathlessly awaiting Gwyneth's New Year's plans aside from Lainey? Gwyneth has built a good brand for herself with GOOP, but she's a nonentity in films these days.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes, Lainey's reality where Leonardo DiCaprio got played by Blake Lively and needs a career boost by working with KStew, where no one cares that Kanye West is having a baby, where it's hot and sexy that Aaron Johnson has no identity apart from the woman who hooked up with him as a teenager, and where Gwyneth is still everyone's IT Girl.

Last edited by swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm

I thought the screed against Jennifer Lawrence was really strange and sort of out of nowhere as well. Has she hated her for a while? Of all the young starlets, JLaw seems to really be the most down to earth although maybe I'm missing something?

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and read too much into it and say she's bitter that unlike her two ponies, KStew and Blake, Jennifer is actually respected AND liked. So obviously it's just an act meant to appeal to dude bros. One might wonder how she DOES that?
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:46 pm

She also seems to be indicating that the only difference between Jennifer Lawrence and Kristen Stewart is that Jennifer Lawrence is more gregarious...which no. I mean I do think Jennifer Lawrence comes off more likable in interviews but the implication she seemed to be making in her article about Lawrence's Vanity Fair cover is thats the only reason people prefer her.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

It's because Lawrence is ostensibly trying to sell herself to the Mini Van in this new interview, duh. A given actress is allowed to want it and work for it (Nomes), but not if they are going to suck up to what Lainey deems middle America wholesomeness. Somehow she imagined that JLaw was SUPER edgy and smart this whole time, just because she's a good actress. She can't even believe that JLaw is legit about being dumb/normal so it's all just coaching which makes it even worse. LORD the contortions she'll go through to seem like she sees through the bullshit when she is just another cog in the echo chamber.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Kiran wrote:She also seems to be indicating that the only difference between Jennifer Lawrence and Kristen Stewart is that Jennifer Lawrence is more gregarious...which no. I mean I do think Jennifer Lawrence comes off more likable in interviews but the implication she seemed to be making in her article about Lawrence's Vanity Fair cover is thats the only reason people prefer her.
Which she basically negates herself in talking about how Lawrence doesn't wax rhapsodic about "the craft" like Franco does, when really, if I had to pick any other young actor as up their own ass as Franco, it'd be...Stewart. She basically DOES talk about acting as if she's saving lives and she has to put her SOUL into every second of it. In this equation Stewart=Franco way more than Stewart=Lawrence.
A given actress is allowed to want it and work for it (Nomes), but not if they are going to suck up to what Lainey deems middle America wholesomeness.
And hee, isn't Lawrence from Kentucky? To quote Tommy Lee Jones in Coal Miner's Daughter, if you knew her, you'd know that ain't no act.

Last edited by swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:52 pm

She really does project on people. I've always liked Jennifer Lawrence but shes always seemed fairly normal and goofy to me (which I enjoy). Shes one of the few celebs that I don't believe IS trying to sell herself as something she isn't. But then I also don't believe that Kristen Stewart is a badass iconoclast, so Lainey and I will have to disagree.

And yes, agreed, I saw way more similarities with Franco and Stewart then I did Lawrence and Stewart. I think shes trying to sell, like its been said, that Lawrence and Stewart are the same but one fits societies approved mold of what a woman should be and the other doesn't, but...aside from being similarly aged and heading YA book based franchises they seem like very different people.

If she was trying to compare Lawrence to Emma Stone I could see personality wise, similarities there.

But as it is, you can be uneducated and still have an appreciation for good literature, or actively TRY to educate yourself.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:23 pm

I think it just eats away at Lainey that the public has not bought into KStew's schtick the way she has, so the actresses that are more liked/likable such as Jennifer Lawrence must be faking it in some way.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 pm

She really does project on people.

The thing is I don't have a problem with that, that's what gossip is, and I think most pop culture fiends are probably very guilty of thinking they can read/peg a celebrity as x, y, or z. The celebrity and their team create an image, and gossip was always supposed to be the alternative less pretty, warts and all narrative for that same image, neither was a the whole truth, both were just part of it. I just find it hilarious that Lainey's narratives are so far off the mark, and are just alternate celebrity fantasies of her own making. A true gossip diva (Like Jill Stempel or Musto) has no idols.

How did she ever develop the belief that Jennifer Lawrence was edgy, bitchy, razor smart movie star in the making? Or that Blake Lively DID THAT (I mean other than Ben and I think it's well established doing him isn't that difficult)? I know my answers are simple: Stewart/Lively deal with her.

Dear Lainey, stick to items like "Jonah Hill was a name dropping bitch at Dan Tana's" I enjoy that a lot.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Also, I'm getting really tired of her connecting EVERYTHING Angelina, Brad, Jennifer, and Justin do to each other. Do I think everything is water under the bridge and there's no hard feelings and none of them ever play up the story to their own benefit? No. But nor do I think that all of them are holding off on getting married until the moment it will most inconvenience the others. I mean, come on, it's been almost 8 years. I don't think every film they sign onto, every interview they give, every child they have/adopt or story about children they might have/adopt, is about sticking it to each other.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm

blixie wrote:
She really does project on people.

The thing is I don't have a problem with that, that's what gossip is, and I think most pop culture fiends are probably very guilty of thinking they can read/peg a celebrity as x, y, or z. The celebrity and their team create an image, and gossip was always supposed to be the alternative less pretty, warts and all narrative for that same image, neither was a the whole truth, both were just part of it. I just find it hilarious that Lainey's narratives are so far off the mark, and are just alternate celebrity fantasies of her own making. A true gossip diva (Like Jill Stempel or Musto) has no idols.

How did she ever develop the belief that Jennifer Lawrence was edgy, bitchy, razor smart movie star in the making? Or that Blake Lively DID THAT (I mean other than Ben and I think it's well established doing him isn't that difficult)? I know my answers are simple: Stewart/Lively deal with her.

Dear Lainey, stick to items like "Jonah Hill was a name dropping bitch at Dan Tana's" I enjoy that a lot.

Totally unfounded, bordering-on-fanfic rant that reveals nothing of interest about JLaw or her handlers? Bad Gossip
Item about how (for totally made up example) JLaw and Nick Hoult know who the father of January Jones' baby is and think it's funny to prank call her and pretend to be US Weekly? Good Gossip

There has definitely been a shift from actual gossip to Lainey's Rant Corner in the past few months. I kind of hope the Stewart/Lively teams are at least paying her.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Lainey has presented herself as some sort of scholar of gossip and celebrity mythmaking, when in reality people like Anne Helen Petersen completely outclass her in terms of writing about "celebrity studies". Lainey's knowledge on the the topic is superficial and mostly in her head.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Basically. I mean we all project onto people what we think our idea of them is, but like you said Lainey's projections are generally weird and out of nowhere, and lately, as its been said, reveal to me more the inner workings of her psyche then anything else.

Also Justin Theroux dresses like a total douche and probably is a douche but I also think Lainey may be off the mark with him as well. I don't think he necessarily is hungry for fame. He fills a cool indie guy niche and has for years. If he wants to work he can, he just seems to want to do random films with his friends, and he has a pretty great screenwriting career. I mean the man is friends with the Funny or Die, Frat Pack conglomerate and Jon Faverau. I don't think Jennifer Aniston is going to do much for his career in comparison to them. As a couple do they try too hard with the leather and everything? Sure. But I don't think they, or Brangelina care as much about that quad as Lainey does.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Kiran wrote:And yes, agreed, I saw way more similarities with Franco and Stewart then I did Lawrence and Stewart. I think shes trying to sell, like its been said, that Lawrence and Stewart are the same but one fits societies approved mold of what a woman should be and the other doesn't, but...aside from being similarly aged and heading YA book based franchises they seem like very different people.

If she was trying to compare Lawrence to Emma Stone I could see personality wise, similarities there.

But as it is, you can be uneducated and still have an appreciation for good literature, or actively TRY to educate yourself.
Heee. This quote from Stewart JUST came out and it's such a 180 from what Jen said, and so very Franco.

"You have this experience of reading something, and if you don’t bring it to life, you’re basically deleting it. Every day of shooting you’re depriving the world of having that. The responsibility is amazing."

vs.

“Not to sound rude, but [acting] is stupid. Everybody’s like, ‘How can you remain with a level head?’ And I’m like, ‘Why would I ever get cocky? I’m not saving anybody’s life. There are doctors who save lives and firemen who run into burning buildings. I’m making movies. It’s stupid.’"

Yes Lainey, they're JUST the same and it's BAFFLING why reactions to the two of them are different.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:39 pm

I know it's an easy target, but I find it amusing that Stewart would come out with something like that when you remember that she's in the Twilight films. Don't get me wrong, I've seen them and read the books and yes, you would have to approach the making of it professionally. But it's hard to reconcile that kind of thinking with a film about a girl who when she's not falling for a sparkly vampire, trips over a lot and then goes on to have vampire-human baby. And not even in a indie kind of flick where everything stands for something else but in a mass marketed teen film.

But anyway, we're all just plebs who don't count because as Lainey likes to remind readers, Her Gwennie would never care what the likes of us think and if we can't understand KStewart and her processes, then we are the worst kind of something and we're all jus' jellus because we'll never get to sit at the table with her favourites, including Blake Lively.

And about Blake Lively, who I only really know from The Green Lanternand The Town as I never watched Gossip Girl, what's all this I saw on CDAN about Ryan Reynolds controlling her career and not really wanting her to do anything if it doesn't suit him? I mean, this would tie in with her not having much in the works on IMDB, but goodness me. I didn't expect that from Ryan Reynolds, but that may be because I know nothing about him in real life and may have been confusing him with one of the more likeable characters he's played on screen.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:11 pm

swsa wrote:
Heee. This quote from Stewart JUST came out and it's such a 180 from what Jen said, and so very Franco.

"You have this experience of reading something, and if you don’t bring it to life, you’re basically deleting it. Every day of shooting you’re depriving the world of having that. The responsibility is amazing."

Someone is going to have to run that through the KStew-to-English translator for me, because...jigga wha?
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Well it is CDAN, don't put too much stock in that item. Honestly I think she doesn't have a lot in the works because Savages was a breaking point in her teams strategy, contrary to Lainey's line of crap I don't think anyone in the industry, except Lainey of course, was talking about how that was gonna be her big break, or was Oscar buzzy. It makes sense she's downshifting, taking a breath, and building at the very least a lifestyle related brand around her marriage in her downtime. Like a young Eddie Izzard's dreams of walking on the moon, she's scaling it down a bit.

That KStew quote is amazing. A part of me wonders how it's possible that Franco and Stewart haven't connected romantically or on screen (of course she did work with Emile Hirsh, same dif), but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they are talking to each other about how awesome each of them is, the awesome responsibility they shoulder together.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 38 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24 ... 38  Next