Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

+75
Crowbridge
mokey75
oxymoron
Amy Pond
punzy
mayram
Snarryfan
Shadowlass
Morning Angel
whatthedeuce
Rhilin
punkysdilemma
winncienzo
mrmoo
laddical
Raksha
particle_person
katha
inversed
siboney
LadyGayle
Arabella
dionneshea
maxell131313
blooey
sobe
Carrie Ann
Jordan Baker
Red Wolf
mandalaya
Putli Bai
Poubelle
The Glen
Cutebutpsycho
Never Enough
big chicken
MLIS
TiffanyNichelle
bbridges
VodouDoll
bookworm
Tabby
dinahmoe
katesti
Count_Bloodcount
QueenSix
lisalars
philophobe
sagitare
Gillian
mialoubug
Matinee
year of the cat
Heather
Pop'n'Fresh
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
Unlucky Bear
Lily Rose
sweetle
PrincessCleo
19uses
Jessica
Eris Rising
bosoxgirl
puddingcup
killershrew
Miss Moneypenny
Jude
Kiran
ActonBell
BreezyK
Esme
swsa
blixie
79 posters

Page 15 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 38  Next

Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns - Page 15 Empty Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm

I think it has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything CDAN says is 100% accurate.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns - Page 15 Empty Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  swsa Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

blixie wrote:I would say Finke gets scoops. And while I still lament the loss of Movieline magazine, the Hollywood Reporter isn't totally a mouthpiece and attempts some real journalism, where you question and critique your subjects as often as praise and glorify them.

I do think Lainey is very right about the D List cottage industry and the degradation of The Movie Star. It is amazing that most of the big names haven't had major hits outside of a franchise in ages and ages.

In general with so many reality stars ready, willing, and able to tell you every thing about their personal dramas, there's no reason for entertainment journalist to fight through the layers and layers of PR flacks to find out dirt on more guarded and top of the line celebrities. Although conversely I think that makes gossip rags, and sleazy papparazzi outlets even more determined to catch them out.
I have a lot of affection for THR because of that article they did on what a dick Alex Pettyfer is. Hee. It was so unexpected and bitchy from an industry trade.

I do feel like even Nikki is kind of safe though. I feel like she doesn't leak anything until she gets explicit studio permission. But I do love her leaking the Oscar schedule and all the casting shortlists we get from her.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Off topic but I was think today's Sarah article infuriated me more than any other shes ever read before. Her thoughts on Wonder Woman are just...no. The problem isn't Wonder Woman its shit SURROUNDING Wonder Woman, and its way too simplistic to say that Superman is "boring."
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

Kiran wrote:Off topic but I was think today's Sarah article infuriated me more than any other shes ever read before. Her thoughts on Wonder Woman are just...no. The problem isn't Wonder Woman its shit SURROUNDING Wonder Woman, and its way too simplistic to say that Superman is "boring."

I thought about going into that here, but I'm worried that it will just be a solid wall of ANGRY CAPS LOCK. Honestly, calling the character of Wonder Woman, the character who was chosen to be the first cover woman for freaking Ms. Magazine, SEXIST is a level of stupidity and ignorance that I can't even engage with.

Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am

And also declaring that THAT is why the project has a hard time getting off the ground. Not because the David E Kelley pilot was notoriously bad, or that in general studios are reluctant to make films starring women and that is a problem.

I can't with her. She is the worst. Shes the epitome of some one who pretends to have comic book or super hero knowledge. Her calling Superman boring ties into that too. Superman is NOT boring. Hes an interesting, complicated character. He is dismissed as boring because hes not dark, but that is not the same thing. And to act surprised that the new Superman movie is good just shows her lack of actual knowledge. I wasn't a fan of Superman Returns but it was not a horrific movie. And the first two Christopher Reeve films are generally revered. Lois and Clark and Smallville were both hit tv shows that had really good moments, even if they were hit and miss. And the animated Superman has always been an excellent character whether on the Justice League or Superman: The Animated Series. To act like Superman has NEVER been successful on screen before this is ridiculous and just makes me question her even more as someone claiming comics OR film knowledge.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am

Ugh, the "Superman is boring" meme has bothered me so much for YEARS. And I don't think I've ever heard an actual comics fan say that, which says a lot about Sarah's comics cred. Her columns range from the "duh" school of "Everyone everywhere has already expounded on these thoughts ad nauseum so why are you pretending this is new or thought-provoking?" to just straight up inaccurate.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 am

I just...how is she a movie expert? I feel like I know more then she does by virtue of reading the internet, watching Robert Osborne on TCM and a lot of old school E! and A&E and scouring IMDB trivia when bored.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:03 am

I think she was an exec asst to someone in finance at a studio. She seems to know her grosses and have legit low level contacts at studios who like give her screening tickets and plus one her at minor parties. But beyond that she knows nothing about the creative/deal making side of it. She and Lainey seriously overestimate her industry acumen.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

swsa wrote:Ugh, the "Superman is boring" meme has bothered me so much for YEARS. And I don't think I've ever heard an actual comics fan say that, which says a lot about Sarah's comics cred. Her columns range from the "duh" school of "Everyone everywhere has already expounded on these thoughts ad nauseum so why are you pretending this is new or thought-provoking?" to just straight up inaccurate.

Totally agree. I love Superman because he generally isn't dark. He is the fucking last of his kind (or almost blah blah) and he doesn't angst and carry on, he gets shit done! For aliens! Superman rocks.

Ditto Wonder Woman. She will break necks what need breaking and glory in her own awesomeness. If that dummy thinks Wonder Woman is based in sexism, I can only conclude she has never read Wonder Woman, let alone the history of the character.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah, Supes is six feet tall, bulletproof, and not up his own ass 24/7. That's not boring- its refreshing! Wondy's only real problem is her lack of a consistant supporting cast and rogue gallery. Sexist? call me when you've read Witchblade. Lord, she's probably one of those who wants to know why Batman hasn't killed Joker yet like the Punisher would... If you can't get the Two of the Big Three right, why should we listen to you about Arrow?
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

A lot of her issues seemed to also be rooted in Wonder Woman's costume which...all superheroes have ridiculous costumes. If they could get the yellow and blue to work in X-Men First Class, they can make the Wonder Woman outfit work.

ETA this excerpt from her article about the new Iron Man trailer continued to infuriate me:
As I wrote yesterday, Wonder Woman is a problem because she is so inherently sexist. Then Karen emailed to point out—correctly—that the specific problem is that ridiculous, T&A glorifying costume. But Pepper Potts is basically who Wonder Woman should be. She’s a self-possessed, self-actualized woman who is beautiful without being objectified and when she suits up, she wears the same damn thing her male counterpart does.

I can't. I can't. That...is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. I love Pepper Potts, but to say that Wonder Woman should be ANYONE but Wonder Woman. Oh my God, way to just out yourself as having never read a comic book even featuring Wonder Woman, Sarah.

Also MOST MALE SUPER HEROES WHERE SKIN TIGHT SPANDEX OUTFITS ALSO OH MY GOOOOOD.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:30 pm

I cannot take seriously someone who suggests Pepper Potts should be a model for Wonder Woman. That woman is an IDIOT.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Wow. I'm so glad I decided to scroll past anything Sarah writes, because the excerpts here show pig-ignorance of the comics. Her opinions on movies tend to be garbage as well.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Kiran wrote:A lot of her issues seemed to also be rooted in Wonder Woman's costume which...all superheroes have ridiculous costumes. If they could get the yellow and blue to work in X-Men First Class, they can make the Wonder Woman outfit work.

ETA this excerpt from her article about the new Iron Man trailer continued to infuriate me:
As I wrote yesterday, Wonder Woman is a problem because she is so inherently sexist. Then Karen emailed to point out—correctly—that the specific problem is that ridiculous, T&A glorifying costume. But Pepper Potts is basically who Wonder Woman should be. She’s a self-possessed, self-actualized woman who is beautiful without being objectified and when she suits up, she wears the same damn thing her male counterpart does.

I can't. I can't. That...is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. I love Pepper Potts, but to say that Wonder Woman should be ANYONE but Wonder Woman. Oh my God, way to just out yourself as having never read a comic book even featuring Wonder Woman, Sarah.

Also MOST MALE SUPER HEROES WHERE SKIN TIGHT SPANDEX OUTFITS ALSO OH MY GOOOOOD.

Jesus Christ, that is so fucking stupid. As the kids say, I CAN'T.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Kiran wrote:A lot of her issues seemed to also be rooted in Wonder Woman's costume which...all superheroes have ridiculous costumes. If they could get the yellow and blue to work in X-Men First Class, they can make the Wonder Woman outfit work.

Hell Namor's been running around in speedoes for decades.

If this person can't see beyond the star spangled hotpants to see what an awesome character Wonder Woman is there's just no point in me taking her seriously.

TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm

OMGWTFBBQ
Pepper Potts isn't even as badass as Jimmy f'kn Olsen in A Pocketfull of Kryptonite. That's not apples and oranges, its apples and flying space monkeys. I am appalled.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

year of the cat wrote:OMGWTFBBQ
Pepper Potts isn't even as badass as Jimmy f'kn Olsen in A Pocketfull of Kryptonite. That's not apples and oranges, its apples and flying space monkeys. I am appalled.

I can only assume that her judgement are that she is a Gwenyth fangirl, and that her only exposure to Wonder Woman is seeing a picture once. Because otherwise, I seriously cannot understand her dumbass statements.

I mean, this is Wondy, the most badass lady: https://2img.net/h/oi52.tinypic.com/2pq1654.jpg. I'd love to see Pepper Potts snap what needs snapping. Gah.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:29 am

Okay her Halle Berry Prospectus may be even MORE offensive to me because of this:

While it’s undeniable that race played a part in shaping her early career, Berry has long since transcended that issue. She’s one of the most famous women in the world with one of the most widely recognizable faces and is a world-renowned beauty. Combined with the prestige of an Oscar and the visibility that projects like the X-Men franchise and being a Bond girl gives her, the opportunities are there.

Halle Berry makes undeniably weird and bad choices. But "transcending race". No. Shes gorgeous. And shes very famous. But she is still a black woman in Hollywood. To say shes transcended anything is the most short sighted crap I have ever heard. Halle Berry will never ever get the same roles offered to say... Marion Cotilliard or Nicole Kidman because frankly they are written for white women. Her choices cannot solely be put down as race related but to act like that no longer plays a part? Like, fuck you. Halle Berry is very famous and sought after but to act like her race doesn't play a part? She won an oscar and she played a Bond girl because her oscar gave her the cache to fill a role previously occupied by Denise Richards. Halle is probably one of the luckier women of color in hollywood, in the sense that when THERE is a role for a black woman shes considered, but lets not act like even as a lighter skinned black woman, shes all THAT lucky. Shes not. Hollywood is racist as fuck. If it wasn't do you think Angela Bassett would be doing movies on Lifetime? I'm really irritated right now. THAT A BLACK ACTRESS CAN TRANSCEND RACE IN HOLLWOOD. THAT IS SOME POST RACIAL BULLSHIT.

UGH.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 am

It's annoying to me when people (...white people) are so eager to be like "RACE IS NO LONGER AN ISSUE! HOORAY!!" I mean, progress is progress, and I certainly think we're moving forward as a society, but sometimes I get the feeling people are like "NOW is racism over? NOW is it? Well, THIS person isn't being affected by racism at least. Right? Right?? It's Halle Berry! Nobody's racist against Halle Berry! That's progress, right? Yay! Can we stop worrying about this now?" I realize that for the vast majority of people, this feels like a good thing to say, and a celebration, but still, it's sort of condescending to hear over and over again that certain people are magically exempt from racism, or isn't it great that racism is no longer a factor in X area, etc. People want to be optimistic and feel like that shitty part of society is gone, but, we have a long way to go. And it can seem pretty simplistic when people pick a black actress or actor and just decide that THEY are exempt from racism and then like congratulate themselves on being so enlightened. I don't know. As a white person I'm sure I have massive blind spots of my own. This particular one irritates me though. There was a lot of "NOW THAT OBAMA IS PRESIDENT RACISM IS GONE, YAY!" and then you had months and months of people demanding proof that he wasn't born in Kenya. Just, blah. Yes, Halle Berry is beautiful and most everyone thinks so. That doesn't mean she isn't still black. I mean. Being beautiful/appreciated by folks of all heritages does not erase racism.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 am

Also she brings up the tabloid angle...and lets be honest a lot of that tabloid angle is played as CRAZY BLACK WOMAN VERSUS HOT WHITE LOVING DAD.

Lets think about that.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 am

Hollywood is racist as fuck. If it wasn't do you think Angela Bassett would be doing movies on Lifetime? I'm really irritated right now. THAT A BLACK ACTRESS CAN TRANSCEND RACE IN HOLLWOOD. THAT IS SOME POST RACIAL BULLSHIT.

That is so ridiculous. I remember Lainey saying she was looking forward to Django Unchained because she thought Quentin Tarantino was the one Hollywood director that could deal honestly with race, so...yeah. I think her site is a bit oblivious to racism in Hollywood. She's actually not too bad about discussing how sexist Hollywood is, but most racial issues get overlooked.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:54 am

And I mean... has anybody asked Halle Berry if she feels she's "transcended race?" You know, the woman whose actual life it is? I'm pretty sure you don't get to decide for someone else whether they experience racism or not.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Since Halle Berry has repeatedly talked about how she tells her daughter she is a black woman because thats how the world will see her and treat her, I don't think she does.

Even sexism wise, I find Lainey hypocritical. She rails on women she doesn't like for things she doesn't care that her faves do. She also used to go after Blake Lively for being stupid. Someone in a chat once said that Blake had gone to their high school and been very high up in grade rankings, and seemed savvy and Lainey's response was "then she should dress like it."
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Hollywood is racist as fuck. If it wasn't do you think Angela Bassett would be doing movies on Lifetime?

There is a really great old interview with Tom Fontana (from like 20 YEARS AGO) where he points out that Hollywood only allows 2 black guys (and maybe one black woman) to be IT or famous at time (he was addressing why Andre Braugher wasn't getting Emmy noms and film offers during the early HLOTS years). It's increased to two black women in that time frame, and still pretty much only two black guys who get all the parts. Kerry Washington and Zoe Saldana are in everything and define black women for Hollywood at the moment. Even still, neither one is truly considered A list because that slot is occupied by Halle.

Meanwhile Khandi Alexander, Angela, Nia Long, and Sanaa Lathan, careers are currently where? No where and and Khandi and Angela IMO are two of the best actresses ALIVE.

Halle will always be my girl because she cast Clive Owen in one of her movies way before anyone else knew who he was. It was a crazy terrible movie that Premiere did a great rip piece on, but still!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:35 pm

blixie wrote:
Hollywood is racist as fuck. If it wasn't do you think Angela Bassett would be doing movies on Lifetime?

There is a really great old interview with Tom Fontana (from like 20 YEARS AGO) where he points out that Hollywood only allows 2 black guys (and maybe one black woman) to be IT or famous at time (he was addressing why Andre Braugher wasn't getting Emmy noms and film offers during the early HLOTS years). It's increased to two black women in that time frame, and still pretty much only two black guys who get all the parts. Kerry Washington and Zoe Saldana are in everything and define black women for Hollywood at the moment. Even still, neither one is truly considered A list because that slot is occupied by Halle.

That is too true. As soon as there's a "new" black actress the others are forgotten and won't get a role for years. There are a handful of roles available for black women out there and they all have to fight for them whereas you can have your Anne Hathaways, Jennifer Lawrences, Mila Kunis, Michelle Willams all exists at the same time.

This article from Jezebel about the lack of major magazine covers for Kerry Washington was on point. Scandal is huge.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 38 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26 ... 38  Next