Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Page 3 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  mialoubug on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm

You know, maybe if Lainey was, like, a real journalist, she might have an argument. It's not like she suffered for her own craft. She basically walked inTo a journalism job because she had a gossip site. Most writers and journalists never get that opportunity ever. So shut up Lainey. You're just as privileged as they are.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 am

I really don't see how that's anything to be upset or offended about. I don't care how rich you are, at the end of the day, boring shit is boring shit. Isn't it better that they play some sort of game to keep themselves tuned in to the interview rather that tune out completely and give mumbly, half-assed answers? I don't think the handlers are necessarily treating the actors like children in this scenario. I mean, sure, handlers spend a lot of time handling a lot of actors as if they were delicate, special snowflake babies, but in this case I'm sure the handlers are also bored out of their freaking minds listening to the actors answer the same questions over and over again, so coming up with weird-ass words for them to say keeps them from dying on the inside, too. This is basically the Hollywood equivalent of doodling on a notepad during a long meeting.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am

Lainey has appalling levels of entitlement towards celebrities. It's fine to expect actors to be polite and accommodating during junkets or other press events, but it is almost like she expects them to fawn on her and her colleagues. She also acts annoyed any time a celebrity appears to want privacy, and acts like they are all secretly asking for to be followed or papped. It's kind of creepy.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Tue May 01, 2012 4:24 pm

While actors would love to discuss many aspects of the current project they're working on, what they in fact usually end up responding to from 'journalists' like Lainey are questions like, "What made you want to do the movie?", "What's the movie/your character about", or "So, dude, how about that workout regime, huh?" How about coming up with some truly interesting questions? Because unless you're the very first person to get up and ask a question, assume that "Tell us about the movie" has already been covered to death.

So yes, if I had to sit for hours and not only have to answer the same questions over and over but the same *stupid* questions over and over, I'd be up for whatever kept me focused enough to respond in a way that didn't involve sighing or an eyeroll. I don't think my obligation would extend to making the person asking the question feel like the special snowflake she clearly thinks she is.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Common professional courtesy is important, though. This is not the same thing, because I am NOT famous, but when our book came out we did a lot of Q&As about it and we've had to tell the story of how we started GFY, or how we wrote a book together, tons and tons and tons of times. And it's our responsibility as professionals, and as people, to be totally fine with repeating ourselves -- because frankly, we are lucky anyone is asking at all, and sometimes celebrities should remember that too. So in that sense I'm fine with Lainey giving people a rap on the figurative knuckles for not sucking it up and remembering that the world does not revolve around them, especially when they are paid as well to do the movie/related press as most of those people are. These reporters are doing their jobs. They may not want to be there, either, but it's their assignment and they have to do it, and as an interviewer sometimes you just have to ask the obvious questions because you need the quote it will give you.

HAVING SAID THAT: I think the junket game itself is hilarious, and NOT disrespectful. It's not like they're playing "Would you tap that ass?" with each reporter who comes in the room. It's just a word game. They're not NOT answering questions. And if I were a reporter who got a quote from Chris Evans in which he worked in "hypothalamus" or "isosceles triangle," I would NEVER edit that shit out. WHY would you? That is hilarious and would get syndicated all over the place. The money quote is what they're all after, anyway, and that would be a money quote.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm

I was about to say, the Junket Game sounds fantastic, and if I figured out what the word was, I would take that shit and run with it. It's the loopy interviews that always go viral or get rerun on entertainment shows, come on.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 am

If the actors are still answering the questions posed in detail, what's the problem with making it fun for themselves too? They aren't just spouting random nonsense words, right? If they can find a way to mix the word into the answer legitimately then more power to them! It's not disrespectful at all.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare on Thu May 03, 2012 2:59 am

Agreed philophobe. In this particular case I don't feel that what Chris said was in anyway disrespectful or aimed specifically at Lainey. From her description, she was on her way out the door and happened to hear his comment. I'm sure he never intended or thought she'd hear it at all. And she's fully aware of the junket game. Why she thinks it wouldn't apply to her and her over-reaction to the whole thing is what's annoying. As y'all have said, if the interview is good and your questions are getting answered well, then have some fun with it.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  lisalars on Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Maybe I'm misreading Lainey's article, but I didn't think she was really complaining about it. She seemed to just be telling us that it exists and that some "veteran" junket journalists find it rude, while she doesn't really have strong feelings about it one way or another.

I think it's funny from a celebrity standpoint, but I can see how it could be annoying from the journalist's side.

lisalars

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm sure if it were 'her Gwennie' doing the same thing, she'd be going on for paragraphs about how that was to be expected because 'her Gwennie' is so much better than everyone else and that's what comes of being able to speak Spanish and being associated with Hollywood royalty, and sure, you have to make your own fun when you're married to the professional grump, Chris Martin, non?

I think I'd prefer an interview where the people were actually answering the questions in some shape or fashion, as opposed to them being high/drunk or giving monosyllabic answers.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm sure if it were 'her Gwennie' doing the same thing, she'd be going on for paragraphs about how that was to be expected because 'her Gwennie' is so much better than everyone else and that's what comes of being able to speak Spanish and being associated with Hollywood royalty, and sure, you have to make your own fun when you're married to the professional grump, Chris Martin, non?

Yup, totally, if that was Pitt and Clooney, or Julia, or anyone else she openly worships for their star power/bitchery than it would be gift to be treated so poorly. And it so did bother her, that's why her long article about it bugged me, she's all about professionalism unless it's Andrew Garfield/Jesse Eisenberg giggling and being shitty to JT instead of doing their job promoting. But if their unprofessional with her it's time to philosophize on celebrities entitlement.

Otherwise I don't blame junket people for asking the same question, why do they care if a hundred people asked the same question, they still need the same information for their outlet, and really it's not like that's not the whole POINT of a junket, cause when reporters dare to go off book or movie with anything more personal or interesting than, "was that costume uncomfortable" the stars are even MORE put out/protected by publicists. That Mila Kunis vid Lainey posted a few days ago was pretty telling on that point, though props to Mila for answering that harrowing insinuation she's hitting it with the King of Stupid.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Thu May 03, 2012 4:20 pm

I didn't think Lainey was judging it either, just posing the question. And having had to interview celebs occasionally at FW, I WISH they were doing Junket Game shenanigans. Good quotes are hard to find.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon May 07, 2012 1:06 pm

I am by no stretch of the imagination a Lindsay Lohan fan, but this article made me sad. I don't understand the mindset of deriving so much joy and glee from a person who has obvious mental and substance abuse issues being bullied and mocked. Why bother kicking a person who is already down?
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri May 18, 2012 4:59 pm

From one of Lainey's articles today:

This is my media/marketing approach. I’m a boutique person; I’d rather serve a smaller, more rarified clientele than be a big smashing hit with the masses.

Which is why she's a correspondent on E!Talk, because it's boutique and not for the masses. I don't buy the personal v. product idea when her column is all about how an actors image is their "product" and her Jake G example is telling in how suck ball his "big movies" do.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  lisalars on Fri May 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Not trying to be a Lainey apologist or anything, but she didn't write the article, Sarah did.

I started the article thinking something similar, so I had to check who wrote it.

lisalars

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri May 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Ha, I totally looked right at the byline too. It's nothing Lainey hasn't preached consistently though, Sarah is like her little parrot. Her Kristen Stewart superfan99! parrot.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm

If I see one more post anywhere calling Mila Kunis "fat" or some variation thereof, I am going to set the internet on fire.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Count_Bloodcount on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:If I see one more post anywhere calling Mila Kunis "fat" or some variation thereof, I am going to set the internet on fire.
Don't blame you. She's the size of a pencil.

Count_Bloodcount

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't even...whut. How is that a thing?

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 pm

If Mila Kunis is fat, then I am...Newfoundland.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:36 am

And I'm Greenland. Seriously, what are people thinking?
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Lately Lainey's refusal to admit bisexuals exist is getting to me. She posted a long article about Amber Heard and Johnny Depp and how because its being reported she broke up with her girlfriend a while back and may or may not have had an affair with Depp she is recloseting herself for fame. I have no idea what is going on with Depp and Heard but as I recall she always stated she was bisexual but in a relationship with a woman for years. So Lainey's insistence is really annoying me. Its weird because sometimes in her items she acknowledges that certain celebs are bi but then she acts like its not a real thing.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:36 pm

It is really weird, apparently at her Toronto Smut Soiree she outed ASkars as bi, but like she couldn't even say the words. Just, he “partakes in the other thing too.", and I mean like AS gives a fuck? She's written items about Damon and Clooney hitting it with men, and we all know Angelina hit it with Jenny Shimuzu, but she seems to have a real reluctance to concede that gay people can have heterosexual sex and relationships and heterosexual people can have gay sex/relationships.

I think the only time she's used the word bisexual in a piece was in the JGL blind and there it was to say how "sad" it was he was going back to girls as if one side of bisexuality is always always a lie.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah exactly, and I was like...so hes bisexual and is now dating a girl and you are claiming his sexuality isn't valid? Okay...
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 pm

That's when it bothers me when she starts talking about the minivan majority, as if she is so sophisticated and urbane. She holds some deeply conservative and judgmental views about sexuality.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top