Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Page 4 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  Kiran on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Shes also on ETalk and trust me when I say she sucks up to those same celebs on that show.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 pm

I am glad I don't get ETalk, I feel like that would be pretty nauseating.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:46 am

Goodbye, Ted C.?

Hmmm...did anyone hear anything about this? I remember he was almost fired a few years ago, so is this voluntary or something else?
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 am

Huh, this is the first I've heard of this. He's been so silly and incomprehensible the last few years, it's easy to forget that he used to have some pretty juicy gossip. Not sure why he changed, or why he's now parting ways with E!
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:58 am

Lainey can't even bring herself to say Kim Kardashian's name, she has to call her "Kanye West's girlfriend". This is so mean girl. Ugh - she has made me side with Kim Kardashian! (I'm still reading her site, though. Ugh, me. I don't think I can give it up, like I did with Perez Hilton, unless I can find a good substitute.) I haven't read Ted C's site in years, I didn't know it was still around.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Aw, he mentioned Lew!

I hadn't heard, but I'm not surprised? I was actually under the impression that for quite a few years in the early/mid aughts he wasn't even really writing the column anymore and had largely handed it over to correspondents who wrote under his name (much like Watch with Wanda/Kristin). I think it was the Great Gyllenhaal Jihad that brought him back full time, but that he's been hanging around unwanted ever since, determined to out as many people as possible until they fired him.

I was working at the established and respected Premiere magazine.

It's so interesting he specifically brings this up, since I've been having nostalgia for the magazine the last few days. Premiere really did NOT play, they were allowed to be *actual* journalists, instead of just sycophants and pr for the studios and talent. I love that he seems to be taking a pot shot at E! while they kick him out the door.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Lainey's hard to write off completely because she generally comes across as a bit smarter than most of the other gossip columnists, and she's very readable. She was my fave for a long, long time, but in the last couple of years, I feel like she's become too entrenched in the world to judge it with even an ounce of objectivity. She seems to be in the pocket of a few celebs' PR teams (Kristen Stewart, Blake Lively, Jake Gyllenhaal), while others she will find ways to tear apart for the most benign of reasons.

It's kind of jarring to me actually, how I feel like I can tell a difference when it's a story she's really relishing in a old-school gossip kind of way (Depp/Paradis, Cruise/Holmes) and the ones where I feel like she's working for a paycheck (here's pics of Leo, let's talk about how he privately weeped over Blake for weeks while publicly seeming totally unaffected and already hooked up with a new leggy blonde).

I also cannot stand Sarah and her industry "insider" perspective that I'm pretty sure I could write from here in Minnesota with absolutely no connections whatsoever.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

I also cannot stand Sarah and her industry "insider" perspective that I'm pretty sure I could write from here in Minnesota with absolutely no connections whatsoever.

Does Sarah even have any sort of industry connection? Lainey uses her to write a lot of the superhero and sci-fi related stories, and her opinions are laughable. She seems to have very little idea of what she's supposed to be talking about.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Is Sarah the one who is/was the huge Kristen Stewart stan? I think there was someone who maybe had a blog and/or twitter about Kristen and then went to work for Lainey, but I'm vague about the details. Obviously.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  lisalars on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm

This is why I still read Lainey

That pretty much says everything I've been trying to say to my friends for the last few months, more eloquently.

lisalars

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I read that and thought it made some good points, but my main question is: is it the same women who are saying "go Katie!" AND wish they had a Christian Grey in their lives? I guess I just assumed they were not the same group of women in each category, but I don't know. I haven't read 50 Shades, but just the descriptions I've heard about the relationship make me gag. At the same time, I'm sure that there are women who would still love to date Tom Cruise, just not me.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Lainey's contempt for women who aren't as "enlightened" as she is makes me too pissed to count any good points she might make.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah, it would be interesting to see just how many women fit that box she's describing. I just don't have the nerve to ask my Christian Gray-worshiping friends how they feel about it.

I still can't stand Lainey's smug pontificating, even if I happen to agree with her this time.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 pm

I don't care for Christian Grey or 50 Shades of Grey at all, BUT I don't think indulging in fantasies about about being controlled by a man means that all of these women who love the books would want a real man in their life like Christian Grey. A lot of people have sexual fantasies that they would never act on.

Last edited by ActonBell on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Yeah I didn't care for that at all, especially since Lainey's fantasy life involves writing J. Lo fanfic. "parted lips and longing gulps", I know it's not strictly the same, but dude it's the same, it's just shorter.

I also hate how she uses the royal "we" when speaking to, for, and about women. Especially from someone who so routinely and joyously tears down women in the industry.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:16 am

I don't care for Christian Grey or 50 Shades of Grey at all, BUT I don't think indulging in fantasies about about being controlled by a man means that all of these women who love the books would want a real man in their life like Christian Grey. A lot of people have sexual fantasies that they would never act on.

True. And also true that often I would have agreed with her, but she's so annoying that I end up sympathizing for the other side (see: Kardashians).

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  lisalars on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 am

Between the number of these books sold - best selling paperback this year, no? and the number of magazines sold/read I imagine that there must be at least some crossover of audience. I will do an impromptu survey if I attend the "50 Shades" book club meeting next week, see if the Grey lovers are also cheering Katie. Nothing official or scientific, of course, but a casual query.

Maybe it's my sheer hatred and sensitivity towards 50 Shades, but I cannot defend/sympathize with it - no matter who writes the articles. A good point is a good point, as far as I'm concerned.

lisalars

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

I kinda love how Lainey is reporting this Kristen Stewart story with a lot more kindness then she would anyone. Like shes admitting it was wrong but seems to be putting in a lot of "SHES ONLY 22" spin. Whereas she is known to crucify other women for this kinda stuff (Maggie Q, Leanne Rhimes, and more).

I mean I think Kristen Stewart IS probably young and stupid, more then she is a horrible person, but her bias for her faves is hilarious.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Like shes admitting it was wrong but seems to be putting in a lot of "SHES ONLY 22" spin. Whereas she is known to crucify other women for this kinda stuff (Maggie Q, Leanne Rhimes, and more).

Yeah, as soon as I read Lainey's post defending Kristen I started laughing because all I could think of was "She's 33, leave her alone!" from Jlo's Fametracker thread.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Ha! Yes!

She also gave a similar spin to Evan Rachel Wood's thing with Marilyn Manson as I recall, because shes another favorite of hers.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Bumping to say I continue to be very amused at the way Lainey continues to defend Kirsten Stewart without actually admitting shes defending her. She even got her Duana friend in on it by lambasting Lisa Ling who made a fairly innocuous quote that implied to me shes friends with Robert Pattinson by stating that Lisa Ling is no longer a feminist.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:20 pm

My issue with her was in the beginning of that article, where she alludes to a "truly delicious" story her friend told her about her disappointment upon meeting a celebrity (I assume), and how she can't repeat the story. If you can't print something, don't mention it at all!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Kiran wrote:Bumping to say I continue to be very amused at the way Lainey continues to defend Kirsten Stewart without actually admitting shes defending her. She even got her Duana friend in on it by lambasting Lisa Ling who made a fairly innocuous quote that implied to me shes friends with Robert Pattinson by stating that Lisa Ling is no longer a feminist.

Is she kidding with that shit? So...Lisa Ling isn't supposed to take issue with the person who screwed over her friend because...feminism? And then later in that very post Duana talks shit about Taylor Swift! That is one amazing example of talking out of both sides of her mouth.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:10 pm

And then later in that very post Duana talks shit about Taylor Swift!

IKR? And no Duana moving in next door to your teenaged boyfriend is not as damaging/dumb as cheating on your boyfriend with a married coworker. Not even CLOSE.

I personally like how Sanders being behind the scenes and therefore getting less attention/shit doesn't explain Meg Ryan/Russell Crowe, because Russell Crowe is behind the scenes? I'm sure having access to KStew info has nothing to do with three articles posted in one morning focusing on how she's being slutshamed.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 pm

And no Duana moving in next door to your teenaged boyfriend is not as damaging/dumb as cheating on your boyfriend with a married coworker. Not even CLOSE.

Duana strikes me as being rather dumb. Both her and Sarah seem fairly useless. And she goes on to say "There are college seniors doing way worse as we speak" -- well, I'm sure there are people Kristen's age doing all sorts of horrible things but I don't think that makes her shitty behavior okay. I also doubt that that kind of selfish behavior is the norm for people around Kristen's age.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 38 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top