Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sarah ugh

Post  Amy Pond on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Can we go back to Sarah for a minute? Today's Now You See Me post was SO obnoxious - I openly admit to seeing that movie (in theaters! I love Jesse Eisenberg) and liking it. I actually contacted her via the 'contact' part of the page to tell her she's a pretentious hack, and that Cinesnark is a stupid website. I feel a little guilty about that, because I don't like being mean, but 'pretentious' and 'hack' are the two words that immediately come to mind whenever I (hate) read Sarah.

I'm not claiming it's the world's greatest movie, but it's entertaining, and it has a great cast. Whatever. Sarah loved Blackfish and claimed it was going to win an Oscar, as I recall, and it wasn't even nominated; she's the worst 'expert' Lainey has. Why does Lainey keep her around?? To make her (Lainey) look LESS annoying??

Amy Pond

Back to top Go down

Re: Digging in the Dirt: Gossip Columns

Post  Kiran on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:12 pm

I actually didn't like now you see me and thought it was idiotic (that twist I think ruined it for me) but I know so many people that like it for what it is. I honestly think that was just her attempt to needle Lainey who appears to like it.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Once again I have to ask what did Robert Pattinson do to Lainey? I don't even DISLIKE Kristen Stewart but I fail see how she can do way better than a guy she publicly cheated on and who seems to not hold it that badly against her.

Also Sarah the media expert posted an article about how Harley Quinn may or may not be in the Suicide Squad movie and there are conflicting reports AFTER Margot Robbie officially got cast as Harley Quinn.

I need to get help. I am way too into hate reading that site.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:26 pm

"For the rest of us who don’t have a fighter in this bout..." might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious things Lainey's ever written. You CANNOT try and play impartial non-KStew fangirl at this point.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 pm

I can not even describe how grossed out I was by her cold open. No one in this world needs to know what you were about to do with your finger. UGH, she's so vile and crass.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:52 pm

It's weird because she freaks our when women mention child birth but goes way into detail about that and her bathroom habits.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm

I've been trying to catch up on this thread and maybe I missed it, but does anyone know why Anne Helen Peterson (Celebrity Gossip, Academic Style) seems to love Lainey? I just don't get how someone who seems to have some care about how women are portrayed in this crazy, mixed-up Hollywood land, could be so openly praising of Lainey. Lainey hates women. HATES them. She's got her few tokens but goddamn, she's one of those, "I'm not like the other girls" girls. Just ugh.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm

dreago, I've been wondering the same thing. I listened to AHP's podcast on Longform recently and was floored when she said she really liked Lainey. Something weird is going on there.

Last edited by eventide82 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:42 pm

Yeah I think because for all Lainey's faults she's one of the few purveyors of pure gossip for gossip sake, and gossip isn't typically socially conscious, so it's all part of the pot AHP studies: what the public expects/demands of a given image v. what Hollywood is actually like. Even AHP herself took a lot of flack for her approach to the Jennifer Lawrence/nude pic incident. Framing it primarily in terms of how her Cool Girl image could "accommodate" the "scandal". I'm also not sure how carefully she reads Lainey, because if she did I think she'd have more problems with her.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:04 am

Out of curiosity I went back to the podcast just now and found the part where she discusses Lainey. Here's a transcript of what she said:

My favourite contemporary gossip site is called Lainey Gossip. It’s this Canadian woman….Lainey Gossip.
But she does, like, analysis. Like, she is kind of…I mean she’s not an academic, but it’s more like smart gossip.

Then she goes on to explain how Lainey will post a blind item and how people go on Lainey's Facebook page to guess who it is and then they move on to talking about other things.

I don't really think Lainey is "smart gossip", and I'm still surprised that AHP refers to it that way. She seems to genuinely like Lainey, although she did say just before mentioning Lainey that her favourite kind of gossip is a blind item, so maybe that's why she likes her? I don't know, but I don't think it's liking her from a critical point of view.
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I DO think Lainey is MUCH smarter than other gossip websites though - that's what originally attracted me to her site - I first got hooked the year that Ryan Gosling was supposed to be Sexiest Man Alive and her analysis of each "candidate" and why they would or would not get it was very interesting. I don't know of any other websites doing stuff like this elsewhere, except maybe for AHP herself, but her pieces are so much longer and deeply researched that she doesn't produce on a daily or even weekly basis. Lainey does have a good grasp of the market and why someone who seems to be immensely popular on the internet will never be on the cover of People and I appreciate that about her.

I dislike Lainey and her biases as much as the next girl, but aside from GFY which is more fashion-y than gossip-y, I don't read any other gossip sites regularly. If there's someone doing what Lainey does WITHOUT the misogyny, point me to them!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah, that's why I can see AHP liking Lainey too. If she doesn't look too closely, or ignores the misogyny, then what she's left with is a gossip writer who's somewhere in between the US Weekly types who cynically pretend to buy into whatever the PR flacks feed to them, or the nastier Perez types who go too far the other direction, maybe?

And I love AHP, but she has some blind spots, and tends to focus on the academic implications more than the personal/social implications surrounding some of these stories. Two things in addition to the JLaw story:
1- This wasn't celeb gossip, but I thought her Tinder simulation and article were...icky. It's not a big enough or broad enough sample to be meaningful in the first place, and the results of it made me uncomfortable and were the kind of thing that make you say, "What did you really learn there, and was it worth the ickiness you put out in the world?"
2- When the issue of James Franco's "roommate" came up this summer after an NYTimes profile of him, which Gawker picked up on, and then Franco himself trolled via Instagram--AHP got some pushback when she claimed that it "didn't matter" whether he is gay or bi, because what really matters is how this story plays out in the media. And then some queer folks responded that, you know, it really does sort of matter to them. And she didn't seem to ever really concede that point. She just kept repeating that the truth of it, or whether he ever comes out about it, doesn't matter AS MUCH as how he and the media address it. It was...odd. I expected her to at least say, "Oh, generally speaking, yes, it's important for issues of representation, etc., but as an academic in this area, I am primarily interested in this side of it."
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Really, you had a problem with the Tinder thing? I mean I just took her simulation because I was interested to understand how Tinder works, I'm not sure I find it academically or scientifically sound, but I didn't find it "icky". She was looking at implicit bias, and that is a real thing, I'm just wonder what specifically you had an issue with.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:37 pm

I have issues with Lainey obviously ( I came here to bitch about her railing on Robert Pattinson for pretty innocuous reasons and her continued what does she see in him re: fka twigs) but I do think she really does get into how celebrities work the fame game in a way I find fascinating, and I can see AHP loving too.

Michael K is still my fave though.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 am

blixie wrote:Really, you had a problem with the Tinder thing? I mean I just took her simulation because I was interested to understand how Tinder works, I'm not sure I find it academically or scientifically sound, but I didn't find it "icky".  She was looking at implicit bias, and that is a real thing, I'm just wonder what specifically you had an issue with.
I'd have to re-read the article, which I don't want to do, but I felt like the implicit bias conclusions were fairly obvious. I think the thing that bothered me were the results & comments for specific images. It just made me feel like, "Wow, if I were reading this and identified with this person, I'd feel really saddened and shitty reading this." I don't know; it just seemed in poor taste. JMO.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:01 pm

I should have added to my comment from the other day - I am probably the least qualified to talk about how "smart" Lainey is or isn't because I haven't read her site regularly for quite a few years, so it's definitely interesting to hear all of your opinions about it!
eventide82

Back to top Go down

Post  sobe on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:25 pm

I might be confused because I'm high on cough syrup, so can someone explain Lainey's Aniston/CAA conspiracy theory to me?

Reese Witherspoon was nominated for a SAG award yesterday. She was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award today. There was never any doubt, was there? She’s good in Wild. And she’s connected in Hollywood. Jim Toth, her husband, is a major player at CAA.

In that Jennifer Aniston article I posted earlier about her big victory over Brange the last two days, I wondered about a conspiracy theory. Click here for a refresher. So…speaking of Jim Toth…

You know that he’s Justin Theroux’s agent, right?

Jennifer Aniston is also a major CAA client.

You know who’s not with CAA?

Angelina Jolie. She used to be with CAA but she left the agency right after she and Brad Pitt hooked up.

Coincidence or conspiracy?

How does this angle get Brad and Angelina shut out? Lainey mentions that Brad is still at CAA, and presumably the agency wouldn't want to piss him off.

Last edited by sobe on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

sobe

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:07 pm

It doesn't explain why they didn't nominate Jolie/Unbroken, I think she's saying Witherspoon/Toth were approached by Anniston/Theroux/his agent to "team up" and lobbie for both Reese and Aniston, and bonus that it would aggravate Jolie would left CAA.

The weirder part is where she insinuated that Jen offered the Hollywood Foreign press some "better" deal than Brangelina, basically Lainey is crazed with the desire to explain how wrong she was about Unbroken getting anything this award season, and how it ruined her personal award season by not being able to watch Brangelina up close.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  sobe on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Lainey's previous post, where she first speculates about Aniston's potential "better deal":

Those starf-ckers at the HFPA are all about putting together the best guest list. Leaving out Brange was not a possibility that anyone would have considered. Are they actually trying to increase their credibility?

Or…

Was there a bigger promise on the table for them in exchange for slamming the door in Angelina Jolie’s face?

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks there was a deal on the table. Perhaps a Team Aniston celebrity conglomerate that mobilised at exactly the right time. Jennifer Aniston just flexed her power. Turns out she has a lot more of it than she ever let on. Good game, Jennifer Aniston. Good f-cking game.

So I read her two posts together as insinuating that there were some CAA-brokered deal with HFPA to shut Angelina out. I just wasn't seeing how Lainey got from Phase 1: collect underpants to Phase 3: profit. Just double-teaming the campaigning for Witherspoon and Aniston in Best Actress shouldn't have affected Unbroken's Best Picture or AJ's Best Director chances.

sobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:38 pm

I find Johnny Depp sad now too, but like, I can't think of a time when the Big Bad Wolf wouldn't be described as "rapey" in Into The Woods, Lainey. Like thats the role. I get what she means, but like...that role isn't ever really sexy.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Kiran wrote:I find Johnny Depp sad now too, but like, I can't think of a time when the Big Bad Wolf wouldn't be described as "rapey" in Into The Woods, Lainey. Like thats the role. I get what she means, but like...that role isn't ever really sexy.

I KNOW! The original wolf costume on stage HAD A FAKE PENIS ATTACHMENT. That scene is always supposed to be uncomfortable and creepy.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Right and he's like behaving like that to a 12 year old so...

Do I think Johnny Depp is behaving ridiculously? Yes but her hate on right now seems weirdly personal.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:24 pm

I think the Depp thing is personal to her because she had so much invested in him and Vanessa.

I don't read her as much as I used to, so maybe the distance is making the anger, paranoia, and over the top hate/love more obvious, but man, I just read a few columns, and I feel like she's losing it.

I mean, this Angelina/Jen conspiracy theory has gotten ridiculous. It's the kind of thing you'd see their stans fighting about on the FemaleFirst forums.

Either the Academy still isn’t taking her seriously or, you know, if you’re a gossip conspiracy theorist, someone somewhere sabotaged it. “Fine. If you don’t want my film to get in, can you do me a favour and not let her in either?”

Yes, Lainey. I'm sure Angelina, in the midst of trying to keep her directing career afloat, ensure her huge expensive epic manages to turn a profit, and trying to do damage control with a huge percentage of Hollywood who are snickering behind her back about her being a "minimally talented" "camp event", is TOTALLY using her powers to sabotage Jen instead of to help herself.

It couldn't possibly be that Marion Cotillard had the most critics' wins this year and the preferential ballot system rewards passion. It couldn't possibly be that despite her hopes that Jen was #2, it's hard to imagine many voters putting her in the 1/2 positions over people like Cotillard, Moore, or Pike.

Angelina and Jen both put out movies that didn't hit with critics and were, in the end, deemed to be nothing but aggressive pr campaigns. It's not that serious.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 pm

Yeah at the end of the day frankly both of them had over reaching expectations over what the actual response to their work was. I admire Jennifer Aniston's hustle though. Because even to get a globe and a SAG out of a movie that barely received is impressive.

I actually truly believe that at least now all parties are over it and are tired of being mentioned with each other. I think initially Aniston fanned the flames a bit, but I think by now shes done. And even though Lainey is like DOES SHE JUST WANT US TO THINK SHE'S OVER IT, I think she is. I mean whatever else, girl had a good year. She can open films, she is extremely highly paid, shes got a hot man and she got more critical accolades than she ever has before. She didn't get the oscar nod, but she probably wants to enjoy her life without hearing about her ex and his family.

Also Lainey's Kate Middleton columns have become hilariously petulant with the "I have nothing more to say".
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Bumping to say, Lainey is hot for Justin Bieber now. I just...girl...
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top