Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mad Men

+72
VictorLaszlo
katesti
Kookla
chick binewski
violetq
CaroJC
Wildog27
Author By Night
CindyMc
themis
dreago
salamandersam
jstilwe
Nerg
Menshevixen
laddical
Decca
inversed
bookworm
caerbannog
Luciano
Wilhelmina
jcpdiesel21
Mulva
Jamie
Snarker
Jordan Baker
Corvus
truecrystal
19uses
Fiammetta
emrie
curryalley
Lurker
formerlyrandom
Heather
Shalamar
pizzagirl20
Jessica
Renny Sue
choubetcha
LadyGayle
Crowbridge
SNeaker
darthtall
RiverThames
lisa
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
Jasmine
BrightEyes
Arabella
sunni94
Morning Angel
BreezyK
blixie
Auroura76
gannetguts
Fraoch
Francie Nolan
Kiran
Genevieve
Cynara
ActonBell
dionneshea
mialoubug
Shadowlass
mokey75
The Dude
punkysdilemma
bosoxgirl
Agent Sculder
76 posters

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Go down

Mad Men Empty Mad Men

Post  Agent Sculder Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Mad Men is back tonight with a 2 hour premiere after being off the air for 17 months! Please tell me I'm not the only one here who is super excited for the return of all the folks at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Mad Men Empty Re: Mad Men

Post  bosoxgirl Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Agent Sculder,

Not just you! I've been distractedly watching the clock all day.

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 am

I had my money on Don and Megan already being unhappy together so I was pleased to see them being mostly happy...for now! 'Cause Don is Don, after all...
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 am

Oh where to begin . . . .

Loved Roger Sterling's French accent and merciless teasing of Don, but the line of the night has to go to Jane for her absolutely deadpan delivery of
Spoiler:

I also really enjoyed the whole Joan story-line with her clearly not wanting to be defined as a mother, and wanting to go back to work even that was the "wrong" thing to want. I'm very interested to see how that plays out over the course of the season. And good Lord, her face when Roger said,
Spoiler:
was PRICELESS.

I will admit, I did miss Betty. I can't wait to find out how things are going with her and Henry Francis.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 am

"Like what for example?"

I'm sure the opening scene was inspired by Occupy Wall Street, but it really hit home with the Trayvon Martin shooting.

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  bosoxgirl Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:36 am

I couldn't stop laughing at Roger singing Frere Jacques to Don. John Slattery is so perfect as Roger.

I loved Lane's scene with Joan but good lord, the phone conversation with the wallet owner's gf was uncomfortable to watch. Yikes. I mean, he was always pretty awkward but he just went full-on creepster there.

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 am

So happy this is back! I actually missed Betty, which was weird for me. When Megan was out on the balcony crying, I thought, "Oh Megan, you're no Betty Draper." And for once I didn't mean that as a compliment, heh.

Creepy Lane was creepy, and so was Creepy Harry. Is there something in the water there? I love that Don is full-on morphing into Sterling, after yelling at him for being a jackass when he started up with Jane. And I love that Campbell is pretty much the only adult in the room at all times.

The only thing funnier than the look on Peggy's face when she got handed that baby was the look on Pete's face when he saw her with it.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 am

Creepy Lane might have been the most discomfiting thing I've seen on the show.

The Dude wrote:"I'm sure the opening scene was inspired by Occupy Wall Street, but it really hit home with the Trayvon Martin shooting.

I'd guess it was inspired by actual protests in the '60s, since the episode was written and filmed before Occupy Wall Street.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05 pm

I have a feeling that, despite what happened in these episodes, this will not be a good season for Pete. He is so highly strung and smug, and I don't see the appeal of his "woe is me, my wife wears a bathrobe outside." Really Pete? What I find intriguing though is there is a very definite parallel being drawn between Pete and Don, just like they are doing now between Don and Roger.

Married to well-off Daddy's girl? Check
First child a daughter? Check
House in the suburbs? Check
High flyer at office? Check
Dissatisfied with home life but good at what he does? Check and check

Affairs are coming. And I don't think the Pete is anywhere near as strong as Don is.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:14 pm

The only thing that may not bring that to pass, Mialoubug, is that Trudie is no Betty. And I mean that in a good way. She seems much happier, both with herself as a person, and with her family, and she also has less of a bullshit tolerance. If Pete does go the way of Don, I see divorce happening much sooner with her.

I also enjoyed the look on Pete's face when he saw Peggy with the baby.

Don and Joan have such great friendly chemistry. I did love both of their smiles when they saw each other. And that scene with Joan and Lane was probably my favorite of the whole episode.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:03 pm

What I find intriguing though is there is a very definite parallel being drawn between Pete and Don, just like they are doing now between Don and Roger.

ITA -- I found it interesting how closely Pete's house resembled Don's old house.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:13 pm

I actually thought it was so close it was the same set. It was cool.

I've decided this show needs more Jane Siegel Sterling. And I loved Lane and Joan's scene (Lane's dance followed by "I think I actually saw Don's soul leaving his body" = gold) as much as I cringed during Lane's phone scene. Jared Harris played that brilliantly. I also thought Megan's torch song/the audience reaction was fantastic. Stan's growing on me too. Last season, I hated him for letting Peggy go through the entire pitch with lipstick on her teeth, but when he essentially did the same thing to Harry with Megan I just laughed and laughed.

Runner-up line of the night was "Give Morticia and Lurch my love." HA!

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 pm

A great episode. I loved that they got to have two hours to really let things expand and play out in full. The party was a great example of that. You got to watch the whole weird path of the party. The different conversations, how things always get weirder and crazier in those environments. (I admit I would go to a party like that.)
I like that we got to see Joan at home and visiting work. The dynamic with her Mother really added something to Joan. And OMG when she visited the office, it was the ultimate in subtext theater. Her interaction with Roger, the weird moment with Peggy and Pete. I ate it all up.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm

I actually don't see Pete pulling a Don. Hes actually weirdly grown into one of the better people on the show for me, and I don't know how that happened. I think his grousing about the bathrobe was more adapting to those guys on the train, more then anything else. I think other then that his bitchiness was more because of Roger undermining him when he appears to be doing most of the work at the agency.

That party sequence was all just amazing.

I love this show and am so glad its back. Also is it weird if as horrible people as everyone on this show (besides Trudie, and Megan) are, the one I actually loathe is Harry Crane?
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 pm

dionneshea wrote:The only thing that may not bring that to pass, Mialoubug, is that Trudie is no Betty. And I mean that in a good way. She seems much happier, both with herself as a person, and with her family, and she also has less of a bullshit tolerance. If Pete does go the way of Don, I see divorce happening much sooner with her.

That and Pete is SO NOT Don.

I did think for a second Pete might have bought Don's old house.

Should I take it for progress that Roger went from berrating Pete over targeting black consumers to his "Equal Opportunity" joke on one of the other Madison Ave. frat houses?

Joan had a nice little aside to the receptionist about Megan. God her mom is awful.

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Yay, so glad it's back! (I've only been hooked since this summer, so I have no right to complain about the wait!)

God, Don is just so weird. I mean that in a good way--some of the reaction I've read online seems to be complaining that Don is out of character, as though he's just being written that way now for no reason. But the other characters--especially Peggy, who arguably gets Don the most--are recognizing that he's out of character. It was interesting to see his transformation after the party as soon as he and Megan were alone. I thought Jon Hamm did a brilliant job of conveying the "real" Don in that moment. Interesting that Megan knows about Dick Whitman--I don't think Don cared for how flippantly she brought that up, either.

Roger's "Frere Jacques" was hilarious, and was all the more hilarious because you knew that Roger had spent all morning planning that moment.

It is so odd to see Don in his and Megan's swinging pad. He still seems out of place in that world--it reminded me of "The Jet Set" from the first season. It's so radically different from his old world, especially the contrast between Megan and Betty. It was weird not seeing her.

I know Harry Crane has long been something of a jackass, but he seems to have now made the official transition to a full-on jackass. I'm thinking all is not well between him and Jennifer.

I loved seeing the newer styles of the late '60s creeping in. Oh Pete, you'll regret that plaid sports jacket someday. It is interesting, though, for how much Pete belongs to the old money world, that he's always been oddly progressive. That seemed to be coming through more and more in this episode.

I know it will never happen, but I wish Peggy and Joan could sit down, have some drinks, and discuss their respective baby daddy dramas.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 pm

I dunno--in a world where Peggy HUGS Joan and Joan LETS her, I think that conversation could totally happen sometime.

So what's the situation with Lane's personal money problems? Is he not drawing a salary because the firm is rocky? I half thought he was going to steal the cash from that wallet when he was talking to Rebecca on the phone about his son's tuition.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: Lane's money problems, I'm wondering if things at SCDP are a LOT worse than anybody there but Lane knows. After all, they lost Lucky Strike and Ponds. I suppose it could be a personal cash flow issue since he had to put up $100K last year to help save the firm, but I'm wondering if one of the story-lines this year is going to be that Lane has been cooking the books. And I get why people found the wallet thing weird, I think it was meant to highlight how miserable Lane is in his marriage. He can't divorce her (thanks, Creepy Dad!) so he fantasizes about a lady whose picture he finds in a wallet, and then he kept it as a reminder.

I'm also going to state for the record, I like Megan, and I find all the bitching about her (not here, other places) hysterical. I think her marriage to Don is fascinating, particularly since it appears Don has been trying to learn some of the lessons from his first marriage and apply it to this one. He's been open to her about his past, he's smoking and drinking less, and he's trying to be a better person. I think he genuinely wants to put her and their marriage first, and at the moment work just isn't very satisfying since the company is struggling a bit. I do think all will not stay well over the course of the season. The age gap between Megan and Don is probably going to rear its ugly head, and I think her liberalism will clash with Don's innate conservatism. But count me as a person who doesn't hate her, and thinks she's an interesting addition to the mix of the show.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 am

Francie Nolan wrote:It is interesting, though, for how much Pete belongs to the old money world, that he's always been oddly progressive. That seemed to be coming through more and more in this episode.
I've always found it interesting, despite his shitty, shitty qualities (and there are so many, RAPE-Y), Pete has always been the most progressive one. Remember how incredibly uncomfortable and disgusted he seemed at Roger's black face act?

Agent Sculder, I like Megan too. I think she's pretty clear in what she wants and isn't willing to put up with bullshit. Plus, Sally likes her.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 am

I was neutral to Megan before (I thought the proposal was bizarre, but that was more my thinking Don was going cuckoo), but the premiere had me LOVING her. And thinking she's too good for Don.

I am an idiot though, because I don't understand what quite happened with the
Spoiler:

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am

I don't know that I *like* Megan, but I think she's interesting and I really like Jessica Pare, one of the most interesting moments to me last night was when Don told Peggy she "doesn't know anything about" Megan. Cause really, he does?

Don reminds me of this great comedian's joke about how you're relationship can become like a house remodel, everything will be fine as soon as you're completely DIFFERENT. Until he's different and changes in fundamental ways I don't know that any relationship will be fulfilling and work out well for him. Case in point yes he told Megan about Dick Whitman(or at least he told her the name part I still doubt how much he tells any one person about the entire son of a whore story behind his taking another mans name/life), but conversely Peggy knows less about the particulars but probably understands more than Megan ever could about why he did it. To Megan (and Cooper too) it's easy/breezy, but for Don it's the biggest hang up of his life.

Overall I quite liked the premiere even though I ended up watching the second hour first and was a little confused by the extreme party fall out, I thought Megan must of full on stripped and had a huge blow out fight with Don in front of everyone and then macked on Harry, and all she did was sing in French and do a sexy dance, fully clothed? Okay then.

The Joan/Lane scene was definitely my favorite, despite his getting creepy with Delores, I do love how much he clearly respects and relies on Joan.

Count me in the group who sees the show *contrasting* Pete with Don, he's on a similar trajectory, but none of it, absolutely none of it is coming half as easy, because he's doesn't "look like him" and isn't even more handsome when he blushes. I don't see him cheating either, both because Trudie isn't Betty and because he's already traveled that road with somewhat heavy emotional consequence (something he wants to avoid as he chastised the train guy), and I do think he has a surprising sense of moral/social conscience largely borne out of practical business acumen, he doesn't care what color someone is as long as he can make a buck off them/with them.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 am

gannetguts wrote:I like Megan too. I think she's pretty clear in what she wants and isn't willing to put up with bullshit. Plus, Sally likes her.

Oooh, I thought that opening scene indicated that Sally's feelings on Megan have changed now that she's no longer the carefree babysitter, but I'm sure we'll see how it plays out this year. Kiernan Shipka is now in the opening credits, I can't remember if she was last season.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 am

mokey75 wrote:
Creepy Lane was creepy, and so was Creepy Harry. Is there something in the water there? I love that Don is full-on morphing into Sterling, after yelling at him for being a jackass when he started up with Jane. And I love that Campbell is pretty much the only adult in the room at all times.

I know! The creep factor was quite high. What used to appear charming and appropriate is slowly making them look like dinosaurs/old creeps with the changing society.

Kiernan Shipka is now in the opening credits, I can't remember if she was last season.

Yes, she has been since season 4. The opening scene with Don and Sally was interesting. Megan is taking that place of most important girl in Don's life that she had had since the divorce; it has to be difficult for Sally.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm

I think Megan is straight crazy, (as opposed to Betty's damaged crazy) and Don is slowly going to start to figure it out. I also think she's the exact wrong person Don should have trusted with the identity swap - it's not going to end well with her, and she is not going to be like Betty and Faye and keep her mouth shut.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  sunni94 Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I honestly expected Don to come home and find that Megan had jumped off the balcony. I get some definite crazy, crazy vibes from her.

Blixie I think the scandal of the singing routine is that it just wasn't "Done" by wives in conservative advertising. It would have been one thing for her to sing a show tune from Camelot but because it was French and sexy all the Ad kids turned their nose down at it. It is just something not socially acceptable at that time. It's a total double standard of the time period because Rogers Black Face was fine but Megan's little French ditty was so OMG I'M CLUTCHING MY PEARLS.

I am so glad this show is back!

sunni94

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum