Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mad Men

+72
VictorLaszlo
katesti
Kookla
chick binewski
violetq
CaroJC
Wildog27
Author By Night
CindyMc
themis
dreago
salamandersam
jstilwe
Nerg
Menshevixen
laddical
Decca
inversed
bookworm
caerbannog
Luciano
Wilhelmina
jcpdiesel21
Mulva
Jamie
Snarker
Jordan Baker
Corvus
truecrystal
19uses
Fiammetta
emrie
curryalley
Lurker
formerlyrandom
Heather
Shalamar
pizzagirl20
Jessica
Renny Sue
choubetcha
LadyGayle
Crowbridge
SNeaker
darthtall
RiverThames
lisa
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
Jasmine
BrightEyes
Arabella
sunni94
Morning Angel
BreezyK
blixie
Auroura76
gannetguts
Fraoch
Francie Nolan
Kiran
Genevieve
Cynara
ActonBell
dionneshea
mialoubug
Shadowlass
mokey75
The Dude
punkysdilemma
bosoxgirl
Agent Sculder
76 posters

Page 17 of 35 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26 ... 35  Next

Go down

Mad Men - Page 17 Empty Re: Mad Men

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Last week's episode in Facebook form.

I think my favorite is Pete taking the "What Mad Men Character Are You?" quiz over and over until he gets Don.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Instant Monkeys, I loved that - thanks for sharing!

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:29 pm

That "Next week on Mad Men..." bit was perfect.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Holy crap, that is awesome.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Pssstt! TWOP folks -- Rachel isn't coming back. Just thought I would remind you all.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:56 pm

They know Maggie Siff has like one of the biggest parts on Sons of Anarchy, right?

Also I loved Rachel Menken and do think she was probably the one for Don but I think thats the genius of this show. He will never get her. He doesn't deserve her. Its been years and while she loves him, she no longer respects him. It would cheapen the show to have her suddenly show up and them hook up.

As frustrating as it is that Don never makes the right choice, that is what makes this show great. Don is a total fuck up in his personal life. He is deeply damaged and he is NOT a good person. Hes about as awful as Pete hes just charming. Which is why I totally bought him freaking out and doing that to Megan even though he is the one actually cheating.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:24 pm

In the TWOP spoiler thread, anytime the vague descriptions for upcoming episodes mention "the past" or "a friend" (and, like, 80% of vague Mad Men episode descriptions follow the "Character X meets a friend from his/her past" formula) there is immediate "It's Rachel!" "It's Sal!" speculation. Folks: Sal and Rachel are never coming back. They live on a farm with Chauncey the Irish Setter, Hollis the elevator attendant, and Bobby Drapers 1-3. Sal stages a musical every summer, sometimes Jimmy Barrett stops by and does his schtick, and they all lived happily ever after.

The last two episodes have felt more vintage Mad Men to me: Don's back to his cheating ways, Joan's back to bossing around the secretaries, Pete's back to being a real weasel (although I guess that's never gone away). A nice reminder that things never really change completely on this show.

Speaking of Don: Oh, Don. Sometimes I forget how awful a person he can be. Interesting that his go-to insult for both of his wives has been calling them whores--projecting your own issues much, Don? It can't be long before someone figures out this affair, right?

I wonder why Allison Brie's name was in the guest credits, but she wasn't in the episode. I was expecting Trudy, dammit!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:41 pm

The season so far feels a bit aimless to me. We've seen Don cheating, Pete acting like a jerk, and Peggy moving up, but those are things we've seen a million times before. I'm hoping something starts to take shape in the next couple of episodes, because while I still enjoy the show very much, it just feels like one stand-alone episode after the next.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I doubt Rachel or Sal will be back, but you never know. Was anyone expecting to see Midge again in S4 or Burt Peterson at Peggy's new agency?

I haven't thought much of Jessica Pare's acting but I could see a difference between her playing Megan and Megan acting on the soap. Daytime love scenes have come a long way!

I couldn't tell if Ted McGinley Megan's boss and his wife were swingers or looking for a foursome or both, though I suppose it really doesn't matter. There was a story like that about some All My Children stars in the past few years but I doubt the MM writers were hanging out on TWoP's soap dish thread and it was just a generic swinging sixties story.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 am

Yeah I thought they were swingers. Costume note -- both Megan and the wife's outfits/hair/makeup ahhhhhhhh I love it. Also, Harry Crane has officially crept to number two on my shitlist. Douchebag.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Also I loved Rachel Menken and do think she was probably the one for Don but I think thats the genius of this show. He will never get her. He doesn't deserve her. Its been years and while she loves him, she no longer respects him. It would cheapen the show to have her suddenly show up and them hook up.

I agree, (though I personally wouldn't rule out Rachel return enitrely/ever), and I think that is why I'm enjoying the relationship with Sylvia so much. She's one of the few women he's slept with who isn't deluding herself about who he is and what they are doing together. Even, and especially someone like Bobbie Barrret was invested in the fantasy ideal of banging Don Draper. Sepinwall made a great point that Don isn't just of advertising, he IS advertising, the walking embodiment of it, hence the swinging soap writer's comment about being able to cast him.

I like think that Rachel will cross paths with Don again when he has what Sylvia prays for him: peace.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 am

But Rachel HAS reappeared, hasn't she? Didn't they cross paths one time at a restaurant and she was with her sort of menschy looking husband? I just looked it up and it was when he was on a date with Bobbie Barrett and now I remember that Rachel looked at him with SUCH disgust. I would be surprised if she came back again.

I loved this episode, I always like it when they focus a little bit more on the women. It was nice to see Joan have a little fun after Harry dropped that awful rant in the partner's meeting. I FLOVED Peggy nailing the presentation, even using Don's line, though they didn't get the account. And I was glad to see a little bit more about Dawn.

But main, poor Megan. Don is pretty much the worst and I can't believe the balls on him to call his wife a whore adn then go to some other woman's bed. Ugh.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:48 am

So like him though. I remember him screaming at Betty for wearing a bikini and I remember that was right before he met Bobbie Barrett.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 pm

I just rewatched and I can't believe I missed this. TED MCGINLEY played Mel the writer! In hindsight, I can see it but didn't on the first go around.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  chick binewski Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Entertainment Weekly does the obligatory Ted/shark-jump list after his appearance on Mad Men.

HuffPo has a few quotes from cast members prior to the Paley Center panel and the more I read about January Jones the less I get her.

When Betty "jokingly" suggested that her husband Henry rape Sally's 15-year-old friend in the Season 6 premiere, it stirred up quite a bit of controversy. But according to Jones, Betty's words shouldn't be taken too seriously. "I think she's just messing around with her husband. I don't think it needed to be taken too seriously," Jones told The Huffington Post. "She has a sick sense of humor maybe, but I don't think that it was that shocking."

I didn't get (especially with the way this show is picked apart, examined and compared to literature) how little attention the exchange between Harry and Betty received after the show aired; for the creep factor much less Betty's motivation for saying the words. Now I know JJ doesn't write Betty's dialogue, but her own view of it as a 21st century woman makes little sense to me.
chick binewski
chick binewski

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 pm

January's answer is basically exactly what Matt Weiner said after the episode aired, so it's apparently the part line.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 am

I wish Dawn had been given a little more to do in the MLK episode. Joan awkwardly hugging her was funny, though.

SCDP will merge with Chawguhguh's firm, right? Last week and this one both pointed out how they are both small shops competing against the big boys, plus they have Harry Hamlin as the president of CGC. Also, Teddy's wife seemed bothered by him gushing about Peggy so much. Not sure if they are going to have an affair but he will probably declare feelings for Pegs at minimum.

I was expecting the real estate agent to tell Peggy she would never get the apartment because she and Abe weren't married.

The Bobby storylines always feel a bit cutesy to me compared to what they give Sally.

Don is going to give away that he's having an affair with Sylvia pretty soon if he doesn't act a little more cool about/around her. A little possessive there, Don.

WTH was with the William Mapother character?

Why am I not surprised Ginsberg is a virgin and that he would reveal something like that on a first date?

Someone is going to complain that this episode spoiled Planet of the Apes for them.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am

I'm stunned that Pete - PETE, of all people - was the one who was disgusted and offended at Harry's "MLK's assassination is costing us money" attitude.

It's interesting, though - that's something that never occurred to me. When a national tragedy happens, and regular shows (with all their commercials) get pre-empted, eventually someone's going to say "Uh, we paid for a commercial that never aired, and we want our money back."
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 am

Arabella wrote:I wish Dawn had been given a little more to do in the MLK episode. Joan awkwardly hugging her was funny, though.

SCDP will merge with Chawguhguh's firm, right? Last week and this one both pointed out how they are both small shops competing against the big boys, plus they have Harry Hamlin as the president of CGC. Also, Teddy's wife seemed bothered by him gushing about Peggy so much. Not sure if they are going to have an affair but he will probably declare feelings for Pegs at minimum.

That hug may have been one of the top 5 most awkward moments ever on MM. And that's saying something.

I'm guessing Peggy will end up with Chowguguhgugh instead of Don as a swerve to the "Dude-Don-Draper-is-Based-on Married His Peggy" story that came out when the show originally started, making all of us think that Don and Peggy would end up together.

I am pretty sure they only keep Harry Crane around so there is someone grosser than Campbell on the show. PETE CAMPBELL thinks you're a terrible person, Harry. Pete "I raped the nanny" Campbell. You might want to do a little introspection there.

Ginsberg is adorable. Seriously adorable. I just wanted to hug him.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  themis Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

My favorite moment of the night was the look of poorly concealed delight on Stan's face during the Mapother meeting.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

I actually was not stunned at Pete. Pete is not a good person but hes also not a racist. And it fits in with his history. Hes one of the few characters that has been shown actively talking to black people like they are in fact people. There was that moment he was caught reading Vibe magazine. And he had a similar reaction to Kennedy's assassination. It was a nice call back I thought.

Also yes, Harry is loathsome. His journey from fairly decent to just awful person has been so seamless and well done, that sometimes I can't remember a time that I liked him.

I love Ginsberg. I thought that actor was cute in that lifetime show whose name I am forgetting, but hes really a revelation here.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Pete is not a good person but hes also not a racist.

That's one of the things I love about this show - it would be so easy to make Pete an out-and-out villain, but they didn't do that.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Also yes, Harry is loathsome. His journey from fairly decent to just awful person has been so seamless and well done, that sometimes I can't remember a time that I liked him.

I think what I love most about that is that he's the TV guy, I can't believe Weiner isn't making a Network type allusion to how venal advertiser based television was/is.

I didn't particularly care for this episode, I thought it was a whole lotta filler, even as fuck plot kind of person, I can't say how little I cared about how Megan's Marxist dad felt about MLK's assassination, and further how she felt about his feels.

I did like all the stuff with Peggy, Betty bitching at Don about his girlfriend (especially with the subtext that he's angsting so much because of yet ANOTHER new and different "girlfriend"), and the general awkwardness at SCDP re: the racial upheaval.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm

blixie wrote:
I didn't particularly care for this episode, I thought it was a whole lotta filler, even as fuck plot kind of person, I can't say how little I cared about how Megan's Marxist dad felt about MLK's assassination, and further how she felt about his feels.

I think that was approximately the point my husband turned to me and said, "does MW remember he has actual african-americans on this show? How about we see how THEY feel?"

Also, I forgot to mention how hard I laughed at Don's "Henry isn't important enough for someone to shoot him." Hee!
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 pm

I think that if I was going to pick a villain-of-the-week, it wouldn't be Harry - it would be that real estate agent. Her recommending that Peggy offer $5K less for the apartment because of the riots turned my stomach, especially with the whole "you'll kick yourself if you pass up this opportunity" comment. Cold, very cold.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 35 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum