Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mad Men

+72
VictorLaszlo
katesti
Kookla
chick binewski
violetq
CaroJC
Wildog27
Author By Night
CindyMc
themis
dreago
salamandersam
jstilwe
Nerg
Menshevixen
laddical
Decca
inversed
bookworm
caerbannog
Luciano
Wilhelmina
jcpdiesel21
Mulva
Jamie
Snarker
Jordan Baker
Corvus
truecrystal
19uses
Fiammetta
emrie
curryalley
Lurker
formerlyrandom
Heather
Shalamar
pizzagirl20
Jessica
Renny Sue
choubetcha
LadyGayle
Crowbridge
SNeaker
darthtall
RiverThames
lisa
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
Jasmine
BrightEyes
Arabella
sunni94
Morning Angel
BreezyK
blixie
Auroura76
gannetguts
Fraoch
Francie Nolan
Kiran
Genevieve
Cynara
ActonBell
dionneshea
mialoubug
Shadowlass
mokey75
The Dude
punkysdilemma
bosoxgirl
Agent Sculder
76 posters

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

Mad Men - Page 31 Empty Re: Mad Men

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:08 am

I probably read a few too many "OMG Megan is wearing a shirt with a star on it, she is going to be murdered by the Manson Family" blog posts last year, but I can't help but see some kind of ominous foreshadowing in that blood-spatter-like wine spill on Don's floor.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:03 am

punkysdilemma wrote:I probably read a few too many "OMG Megan is wearing a shirt with a star on it, she is going to be murdered by the Manson Family" blog posts last year, but I can't help but see some kind of ominous foreshadowing in that blood-spatter-like wine spill on Don's floor.  

Haha, I thought the same thing, for the exact same reasons. Stupid internet.

And Naughty Zoot, I've definitely found him gross before, but somehow it just seemed more ... depressing (?) this time. We watched the marathon on Sunday, and by the end of the last half-season, he was doing whatever it took to get back. And now that he's back, he's just doing everything he can to squander it away. It made me mad, actually. And really glad that Rachel got what she wanted in life, because he didn't deserve her.

Pete's landlord comment was even funnier when you realize that Peggy has been doing it for years. I'm glad Ken got to one-up them, and I hope Joan slips laxatives in those McCann assholes coffees.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:33 pm

In the end, I guess the one trait that's in common with all the characters is their self-loathing, but you'd hope after seven years, some of them would find a way to love themselves. And it doesn't seem like that's in the cards.

I liked the episode more than you did, but yeah, it felt like a rewind button from much of what happened with Don in 7A, that McCann escape hatch for the firm allowed everyone to comfortably revert to old patterns. And at this point there is only so many times we can see Don do this (womanize, drink) to paper over his real authentic self/pain, then have some small random thing jolt him but only in some temporary fashion. I think it's serialized formats greatest struggle, characters failing to accumulate experience, they fail to learn the exact same lessons, which only works for so long before you give up on them. WISE UP MOFO.

Yet I fall for his small jolts every time, structuring this around Rachel's death made me all the more invested and interested, and dovetailing it with Ken's mini crisis, about the life unlived. Don's lived two lives and still hasn't found the one that makes him happy. I'm not too worried about Ken at Dow, I think he's relishing the opportunity to stick it to them, but that will only last so long before his conscience kicks in, and he does write that book about advertising.

Joan and Peggy in the elevator was painful to see, and they were both wrong, but both, I think, trying so hard to not feel diminished, by rationalizing the sexism they still have to deal with every day and if that meant sniping at one another so be it.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 pm

Because the news came from Meredith, I fully expected the "death" of Rachel to be some wacky mix-up. And then it wasn't, and I was so crushed for Don -- and shocked at Meredith's competency! When did that happen?

Ken's father-in-law -- who is always and forever Leland Palmer to me -- gleefully talking about "cooking" his Pop-Tart cracked me up.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:03 pm

mokey75 wrote:And Naughty Zoot, I've definitely found him gross before, but somehow it just seemed more ... depressing (?) this time. We watched the marathon on Sunday, and by the end of the last half-season, he was doing whatever it took to get back. And now that he's back, he's just doing everything he can to squander it away.  It made me mad, actually.  And really glad that Rachel got what she wanted in life, because he didn't deserve her.

I'm there with you. I've had pity, sadness, frustration, and a myriad of other feelings for Don Draper, but it's a good thing the show is ending because I was angry to see he's back to the same old tricks again. It's depressingly realistic, but it's infuriating to see him backslide so quickly (although I guess he is more open about where he comes from). It's like that friend who is always complaining about his/her life, often seems on the cusp of getting his/her act together, and then never does. After a while, that shtick gets old, and you just go, "I can't watch you do this anymore. Give me a call when you figure it out."

I guess I was always more invested in Peggy's journey though, and I hope she does get a bit of happiness.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:24 am

The open presumptuousness of Roger (and Don) when they were paying the cheque at the diner that obviously those girls would sleep with them grossed me out. And then when Don went back and had sex with the waitress in the alley and she said afterwards "You got your hundred dollars worth" and he didn't bother to dispute that or correct her despite looking surprised she said it also revolted me.

I am really rooting for him to have a somewhat happy-ish ending, but seeing his behaviour in that episode makes me feel like he's beyond redemption.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:17 pm

I think Don was completely nonplussed at realizing that the waitress had sex with him not because she was so overwhelmed by his sexy manliness, but because she thought he was coming to get what he'd paid for. The situation with the other young women was not dissimilar, but because it's a less straight-forward and more socially acceptable transaction, Don hasn't ever really had to think that he's a guy who "has to pay for it".
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Well, he did hire that prostitute to slap him around during sex after he and Betty split. But in general, he's definitely not been someone who has to pay for it monetarily. (Unless he also took advantage of that brothel where Campbell ran into his father-in-law on occasion.)
Balding Brian Krakow made me feel really old.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 pm

she said afterwards "You got your hundred dollars worth" and he didn't bother to dispute that or correct her despite looking surprised she said it also revolted me.

I would get your point if she had said the line before she took him out back in the alley and fucked him but correcting her after she had so easily prostituted herself would have been much worse in my opinion. I mean it was an icky situation all around but she was the one who jumped to the conclusion that neither Roger or Don ever intended. I think to tell her that she had debased herself for no reason would be a total dickish move at that point.  My mom got big tips working in a diner when she was working her way through school (in the early 70s), it wasn't because men expected her to have sex with them it was because the diner was the only thing open late and they would come in drunk/drugged up and be in a generous mode. Heck the same thing happens today.

I mean clearly something in the waitress's life made her jump to that conclusion and the sexism of the period, etc. shaped her views but Roger was doing what he always does throwing money at a problem to apologize for being a dick.

As to the other three women they seemed very into the idea of going home with the them. Yes, it is most likely because they are rich, successful and powerful but it was also the middle of the sexual revolution/start of the "swinging 70s."
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:47 pm

Does Don know that Pete is the father of Peggy's baby? I can't remember.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:01 am

As to the other three women they seemed very into the idea of going home with the them. Yes, it is most likely because they are rich, successful and powerful but it was also the middle of the sexual revolution/start of the "swinging 70s."

Yeah I agree that they did seem into the idea, but it still grossed me out!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:23 am

BrightEyes wrote:Does Don know that Pete is the father of Peggy's baby? I can't remember.
I don't believe so. When they talked about her baby in "The Suitcase", she told him about how her mother thinks Don is the father. Then, he asked her if she knew the father's identity. She confirmed that she did, but understandably didn't elaborate.

Remember in S1 when Don told Rachel that love was invented by guys like him to sell nylons? In last week's episode, he was reaching out to her in the hopes of selling nylons.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:44 am

How, in a show with Don Draper, Roger Sterling, and Pete Campbell, does Harry Crane hold the crown for grossest lech? But he was so, so gross tonight. Yuck.

Is that the last of Meghan? I never hated her, but I think she's about done. Although, the "Manson Brothers" mention was interesting.

I did like the last shot of Don in his empty apartment with that WTF look on his face.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:30 am

I am not someone who thinks Betty/Don should have stayed together (are there any of those people?) but that scene contained more chemistry than all of the Don/Diane shit. Hell the brief glimpse of Sylvia in the elevator had more chemistry! At this point I don't need to see another woman that Don has decided that he can rescue and is his salvation.

Mimi Rodgers looked fantastic, Julia should call her plastic surgeon.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 am

I truly thought that was terrible, like I have no idea what Megan was even talking about in her big scene with Don, suddenly she knew he was cheating all along, and she gave up everything for him, and I don't even know.And I LIKE Megan, the last we saw of them their break up was mutual and relatively amicable. I mean yes Don is LIAR, he was never emotionally honest in the relationship, but he was otherwise accommodating as hell about her career and other life choices. I just did not care to spend that much time with Megan and her life, when the show is ending and their marriage is over.

I also could not care less about Waitress, ugh, though I guess that collision of her and Sylvia in the elevator was meant to signal even further how all Don's brunettes blend together? IDEK.

Everything to do with Stan/Peggy was great, this is the first time I've ever bought that she actually might be into him too. I loved her shadily getting his girlfriends name wrong. Poor Erin.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah, I was somewhat bewildered when Megan suddenly made Roger's predictions come true ("You ruined my life/stole my child-bearing years/blah blah blah"). What happened to the girl who told Don that he didn't owe her anything?
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Remember in S1 when Don told Rachel that love was invented by guys like him to sell nylons? In last week's episode, he was reaching out to her in the hopes of selling nylons.
I am going to miss this show so much.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Re Megan turning into such a sourpuss: I didn't get it either. I could see how her conversations with her ur-sourpuss mother and dithering sister might have ramped up her disappointment re her marriage and her career (one or the other should have worked out) to the point where there was some lashing out, but not to the extent of that one speech. She may have been more than a little ditzy and perhaps naive, but not grasping and vindictive. How long were they together anyway? Come to think of it, how does someone have a mother like that and be any kind of naive?

Mimi Rogers rocking that suit (and Stan's world) was fantastic.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:18 pm

I think Megan's anger had more to do with her mother and Roger (and Harry, ugh) than anything Don had done to her. But regardless, I hope this was the end of her. I have to imagine they brought in her dour sister to make her seem less annoying on her way out the door.

The waitress is the most toxic chick Don has ever been with, and that is saying something. I hope we're done with her, too.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 pm

I'm such an idiot, I knew Pima was familiar but I thought she was Vash, Picard's squeeze from TNG. Lord. I do know who Mimi Rogers is. I have the worst facial recognition of all time.

Harry: SUCH AN ASS. MY GOD.

I was glad to see Betty. And glad she's going back to school. Seriously, Bobby should have a beard and a deep voice by now, no? He still looks 7.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:37 am

Seriously. That bothers me! For a show that is so obsessive about every detail, they really messed up on this one. When the show starts in 1960, Sally is 6 and Bobby is 3. He should be 12 or 13 by now. Gene The Forgotten Child should be 7ish, if anyone.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:40 am

I felt bad for Betty when she was telling Don about going back to school. He couldn't have been less interested.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:24 am

Hmm I thought he was, but I also thought he was like Betty a therapist? That's...different, which drove home how secure she is in her new life, and how far away he still is from his idealized desire for family. I think the idea that people enjoy talking to her is hilariously clueless, but I guess her awkward, icy remove could serve her well in psychoanalysis.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Cynara wrote:Seriously. That bothers me! For a show that is so obsessive about every detail, they really messed up on this one. When the show starts in 1960, Sally is 6 and Bobby is 3. He should be 12 or 13 by now. Gene The Forgotten Child should be 7ish, if anyone.
Some googling says Mason Vale Cotton is turning 13 this year, and filming on the series wrapped in 2014. The writing for the Bobby character tends to fall on the immature side of things, and some kid had to be the late bloomer. In the leadup to the premiere, Tom and Lorenzo did a post about the Bobbys and and it came up that the previous one was too old, not even a full year younger than Kiernan. He's the one that left because he got a bigger job on Once Upon a Time and dissed January Jones. S3-S4? The Bobby now seems like a good enough actor, so I imagine Weiner was content not to rock the boat. Gene, though, I think it was just easier to have him not talk when he was younger and now it has to be a running joke and he's this show's Maggie Simpson. At least Betty wasn't carrying him around last week.

I was against the idea of a MM spinoff but I'd totally watch Dr. Betty at work. I'm glad she's going back to school and all, but she seems better suited for a profession that involves relating to people on a (much) more superficial level. She will be that psychologist with a whole subscription's worth of their own issues.

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:32 am

Yeah, Jared Gilmore (Previous Bobby) is on Once Upon a Time, and also being written waaay too young for his actual age. I know young male actors are tough to cast because, like, girls you can kind of gloss over the maturity for a while (or not, as needed) but boys change so drastically in months between filming. He and Chandler Riggs should form a support group. Their patron saint can be Walt from Lost.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum