Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tearjerking Movie Moments

+50
jstilwe
VegetasMom
Renny Sue
Esseilte
eventide82
Unlucky Bear
MtOlivePickles
pinguerin
roly
sen3
epudom
Fiammetta
MaddyCat
whatthedeuce
Crowbridge
subie5
PrincessCleo
Francie Nolan
inversed
Agent Sculder
Lurker
lil d
Carrie Ann
Cynara
Jude
Snarryfan
Gillian
katesti
Corellderaan
mokey75
boutros boutros kitty
Putli Bai
punzy
Kookla
MLIS
Tabby
Simbelmyne
laddical
Wildog27
dionneshea
bookworm
Matinee
slmader
Miss Moneypenny
Instant Monkeys
big chicken
Luthien
swsa
Algae
Paris, Texas
54 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tearjerking Movie Moments Empty Tearjerking Movie Moments

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:48 am

This past weekend my nieces were picked up from my place in tears after a viewing of E.T. - The Extraterrestrial and I thought about 10 other movies that leave me swollen- and red-eyed the next day.

Breaking The Waves - When Katrin Cartlidge berates the church elders during the funeral, and the camera pans to the leaking sand, and then the very final scene with the ringing bells in heaven, was truly cathartic, and necessary, in a film about faith.

Brokeback Mountain - From the scene in which Roberta Maxwell directs Ennis to her sons's bedroom until "Jack, I swear…"

Dangerous Liasons - Glenn Close removing her makeup. God, she's great.

Dumbo - Mad Elephant and "Baby Mine…". This kills me, and is the reason I will *never* watch Bambi.

Imitation of Life - Mahalia Jackson's rendition of "Trouble of the World" to Susan Koehner burying her face in the flowers of her mother's funeral carriage crying "That's my mother! Mama, I didn't mean it. Do you hear me? I'm sorry..." to the pallbearer swallowing back his horror after Lana Turner leads her away.

In America - at the new baby's party/Matteo's wake when Paddy Considine and his daughters look at the night sky and tells his grieving youngest daughter to say goodbye to Matteo because he is cycling past the moon with E.T., and suddenly Sarah Bolger says "Say goodbye to Frankie, Dad" (the dead child whose absence cast a pall over the family). Paddy looses it, and so do I.

Longtime Companion - The beach scene, Bruce Davison telling his partner to let go.

Million Dollar Baby - Clint Eastwood's checkered history as a father and his regret as such, has made him intuitive indepicting father-daughter love stories in his late career. The montages in which Maggie is training and waitressing made me so fond of the character and her spirit and determination, which built up from the scenes in which Frankie admits "she's my fighter" after he forced her to take on another trainer, makes her promise to "always protect myself" whilst he opens up emotionally to her, and when she asks him "So you'll never leave me again?" and he replies "Never". So when he told her what "mo cuishle" meant I was devastated.

Mulholland Drive - The Silencio performance had me crying along with Betty and Rita. Later on Diane's final, hallucinogenic scene in which she imagines being pursued by the elderly couple from the airport, until we see Betty and Rita, laughing and happy, superimposed over the night sky of Los Angeles and again hear the echo "Silencio".

Ordinary People - I am completely inconsolable from the point at which Timothy Hutton receives the phone call about Dinah Manoff until the end. I had to watch this for a uni course and when the lights came up three quarters of the auditorium were in tears. In fact, the number of crying male students outnumbered the female ones. This movie hits home for a lot of people. Timothy Hutton and Mary Tyler Moore were superlative, but it is insane that Donald Sutherland did not receive an Oscar nom for this. Judd Hirsch and Elizabeth McGovern were great too.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Tearjerking Movie Moments Empty Re: Tearjerking Movie Moments

Post  Algae Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 am

Monster Inc - Kitty?

Every time.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:19 am

I'm already predicting that the new Lifetime version of Steel Magnolias will make me cry as badly as the original movie. I only wish Phylicia Rashad was playing M'Lynn instead of Queen Latifah.

Terms of Endearment, when she says goodbye to her kids, "I was so scared but I think that went really well" and the little boy nodding. OMG. Breaks me everytime.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 am

Many of mine are pretty stereotypical, but darned if they don’t set off the waterworks for me:

The end of Gone With The Wind. From Melanie’s death onwards, I’m always running for my Kleenex box.

Mufasa’s death in The Lion King. Despite the fact that we all know it’s coming, that scene where Simba discovers his father’s dead body is one of the saddest in all Disney movies. The way his voice shakes when he says “Dad, we gotta go home” just kills me.

The entire end of Marley and Me. You could have heard a pin drop in the theatre: the audience I was in kept trying to hold in sniffles, then you’d hear one from next to you or behind you. I was a wreck. Frigging animal movies.

Pick an ending of any Lord of the Rings movie. I’ll single out the moment when everyone kneels to the hobbits.

The ending of Revenge of the Sith, with the shot of the binary sunset and baby Luke Skywalker. And "you were right" in Return of the Jedi.

“I have been and always shall be your friend” in Wrath of Khan. But I think “Jim. Your name is Jim.” in Search for Spock gets me even worse.

The ending of both the 1967 and 1996 Romeo and Juliet movies. Spoiler: they die! But both movies make me believe even for a brief moment that maybe this time the story will end differently. I especially have to single out Leonardo Dicaprio’s death in the 1996 version: my gosh, he sold that.

When Hiccup wakes up and discovers he’s lost his leg in How to Train Your Dragon.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:50 am

That part in the Joy Luck Club during the sack of Shanghai when the mother is fleeing with her twins. She realizes she's dying so she leaves them on the side of the road so her death won't taint her daughters in hopes that someone will decide to take care of them. Then decades later when her youngest daughter goes to China to meet the older sisters she never knew she had and first sees them at the train station. My sister, mother, and I were absolutely bawling at that point.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:07 am

Algae wrote:Monster Inc - Kitty?

Every time.
OH GOD, EVEN READING ABOUT IT.

Luthien wrote:In America - at the new baby's party/Matteo's wake when Paddy Considine and his daughters look at the night sky and tells his grieving youngest daughter to say goodbye to Matteo because he is cycling past the moon with E.T., and suddenly Sarah Bolger says "Say goodbye to Frankie, Dad" (the dead child whose absence cast a pall over the family). Paddy looses it, and so do I.
My mom, my sister and I saw this movie in the theater, and by the end we were all crying so hard and so disgustingly that we left through the back door because we were embarrassed to walk through the lobby. We went through all our communal popcorn napkins. To this day we will be like "Oh, I cried so hard at that movie" "As hard as at In America though?" "Oh, no, not even close." It remains the record holder. My sister has the DVD but I'm afraid to watch it again, heh.

I get weepy every time I see that Tim Horton's commercial where the family is immigrating to Canada, so I have a lot, but I'll narrow it down.

Wall-E -- the entire movie really, but mostly when Eve flies for the first time, and the entire end credits sequence.

A.I. -- also the entire movie (I really have a thing about sad robots), but mostly when David's mother leaves him and the part at the end.

Love Actually -- the beginning and ending airport parts.

The Lion King -- the opening "Circle of Life" part. Auuuuggghhh, the circle of life.

This movie called The Road Home by Zhang Yimou that's about an old woman looking back on her life in her rural village after her husband died, and how they met and all when they were young and the world was beautiful and he was a cute schoolteacher.

Titanic. Yep, I bawled pretty hard at that one.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:29 am

Up The whole first sequence, then when Carl looks through the adventure book. The only reason I wasn't the person in the theater crying the hardest was because there was another woman somewhere in the theater who was openly sobbing.

Fellowship of the Ring when Frodo says he's going to Mordor alone and Sam says, "Of course you are. And I'm coming with you." I lose it every single time.

Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 pm

For me, Field of Dreams: "Hey Dad? Wanna have a catch?"

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 pm

big chicken wrote:That part in the Joy Luck Club during the sack of Shanghai when the mother is fleeing with her twins. She realizes she's dying so she leaves them on the side of the road so her death won't taint her daughters in hopes that someone will decide to take care of them. Then decades later when her youngest daughter goes to China to meet the older sisters she never knew she had and first sees them at the train station. My sister, mother, and I were absolutely bawling at that point.

I sniffle a lot though Joy Luck Club, but once the scene where the dad talks to the main character and fills in that back-story starts, I'm sobbing straight though the end.

ETA: Yeah, and the first bit of up had both me and the husband sobbing. He suspects anyone who wasn't sobbing then of being dead inside akin to Chandler Bing.

Last edited by Matinee on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Fried Green Tomatoes when Evelyn thinks that Miss Iggie had died in the nursing home. I was bawling, and then laughing when I realized she wasn't dead.

Also, the final scene of Driving Miss Daisy where Hoke is feeding her pie.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:Up The whole first sequence, then when Carl looks through the adventure book. The only reason I wasn't the person in the theater crying the hardest was because there was another woman somewhere in the theater who was openly sobbing.

I was probably the person openly sobbing. That killed me dead. Also from Pixar, the scene from Toy Story 3 when Andy plays with his toys one last time. I was a wreck in the theatre, as was every other adult. The kids all just looked sort of bewildered at their parents, like, 'what is wrong with you?'

I saw In America with my boss and two other co-workers, all of whom are male, and while I was crying REALLY hard during the last ten minutes of that movie, I still don't think I cried as much as they did.

The Green Mile was a really bad one for me. I cried when Graham Greene dies, then with the mouse and that guy from Evening Shade, and then pretty much the last half hour of the movie. It wasn't good.

Also, I'm pretty sure my mom started to consider kiddie therapy for me when I was five, because The Fox and the Hound got me so bad. I cried SO hard. I remember still crying as we drove home. And starting up every once and awhile when I even thought about it. It was pretty traumatising.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Also from Pixar, the scene from Toy Story 3 when Andy plays with his toys one last time. I was a wreck in the theatre, as was every other adult. The kids all just looked sort of bewildered at their parents, like, 'what is wrong with you?'

That killed me too. The other one that got me was the Sarah McLachlan "When Somebody Loved Me" in Toy Story 2. Having a daughter, that one just makes me weep with both the joy of childhood and watching her grow up and the sadness of it and how short it really lasts.

Another solid "man cry" for me is basically the last 20 minutes of Shawshank Redemption.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:24 pm

"My friends, you bow to no one."
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Simbelmyne Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Luthien wrote: The entire end of Marley and Me. You could have heard a pin drop in the theatre: the audience I was in kept trying to hold in sniffles, then you’d hear one from next to you or behind you. I was a wreck. Frigging animal movies.

What undid me most in Marley and Me was the sheer number of crying scenes. You think it's over, but nooo, here, have another reason to cry your eyes out...

And, talking about animal movies, Eight Below. The first time I saw it was on TV, my dad was watching it and I came in at about the middle, sat down and was an absolute crying mess in about five minutes. No movie has ever made me cry as fast as those damn dogs with their sad, smart eyes, poking each other with their noses and whimpering.
Simbelmyne
Simbelmyne

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm

You guys have mentioned most of mine, but I have to add the end of The Pride of the Yankees when Lou Gehrig gives his farewell speech.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

I saw Toy Story 3 with a friend, and we agreed afterwards that the moment where we realized Andy was going to play with the toys one last time absolutely destroyed us both. And neither of us even has kids!

And my husband and I both openly sobbed through the opening sequence of Up.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:24 pm

That's us, right here (though we're both embarassed to admit it). We were curled up on the couch and I was openly crazy sobbing, and my fiance had his head buried in my neck because he didn't want me to see how hard he was crying. That movie is so mean.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Simbelmyne wrote:And, talking about animal movies, Eight Below. The first time I saw it was on TV, my dad was watching it and I came in at about the middle, sat down and was an absolute crying mess in about five minutes. No movie has ever made me cry as fast as those damn dogs with their sad, smart eyes, poking each other with their noses and whimpering.
Once my sister and I, when we were teenagers, came downstairs and our parents and littler sister were watching Free Willy, which was near the end, and they were all sort of weepy. My sister and I were sort of making jokes about them being weepy -- we could see what was going on but we weren't emotionally involved in it, and we were teenagers who made jokes about everything. We weren't being mean or anything, but it was sort of like, heh, you guys are really emotionally involved there huh. Sad whale movie I guess. OK. So I think I started doing the computer or something, and like, 30 SECONDS later I looked back at my sister to say something funny and tears were STREAMING down her face. HEE HEE. I laughed SO hard. I don't think I can adequately convey how hilarious it was how fast it happened.

I don't know how I forgot Up, the end of LOTR when everyone bows to the hobbits, or the end of Toy Story 3. Yes to all of those. And basically anything with dogs or apes or elephants or any animal being sad. I mean, come on. I'm sure I would also have been crying at Free Willy if it had lasted another five minutes after I sat down.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Matinee wrote:
big chicken wrote:That part in the Joy Luck Club during the sack of Shanghai when the mother is fleeing with her twins. She realizes she's dying so she leaves them on the side of the road so her death won't taint her daughters in hopes that someone will decide to take care of them. Then decades later when her youngest daughter goes to China to meet the older sisters she never knew she had and first sees them at the train station. My sister, mother, and I were absolutely bawling at that point.

I sniffle a lot though Joy Luck Club, but once the scene where the dad talks to the main character and fills in that back-story starts, I'm sobbing straight though the end.

ETA: Yeah, and the first bit of up had both me and the husband sobbing. He suspects anyone who wasn't sobbing then of being dead inside akin to Chandler Bing.

Oh god, I haven't seen The Joy Luck Club in years and I am tearing up just thinking about that.

On the old board didn't we decide that those who don't cry at the beginning of Up are probably robots?

I would like to add Lilo & Stitch to the party. Especially when Stitch takes the story book and says "I'm lost" and he's all alone and I have to go now.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:28 pm

I've had a bad day at work and am all primed for a good cry - I don't know if this thread is a blessing or a curse. My weepers:

The hardest I've ever cried in the theater was during The House of Sand and Fog. My life wasn't going all that well - I wasn't quite at the same point Jennifer Connelly was, but I could see it on the horizon. When she >>
Spoiler:
<< I just broke.

My other stupid weeper was Pay It Forward. Again, I'd had a bad day and was at video store looking for something that would cheer me up. LIARS!!!! I'm still pissed about that one.

And of course, most of the ones you all mentioned - Up, Toy Story 3, LOTR. I did not see Marley and Me, because I read the book and I knew how that was going to turn out.

The only other one I want to add is Black Beauty. I've read the book a dozen times and seen every incarnation of the movie (including War Horse, which also made me cry), and I will still cry every single time.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  boutros boutros kitty Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Back in the dark ages of VCRs, I had what was referred to as "the crying tape". On it was Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment and Beaches. You might make it through one, maaaaaaybe the second, but no way do you get through all three. It was good for when you needed a cathartic cry.

boutros boutros kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm

punzy wrote:
I would like to add Lilo & Stitch to the party. Especially when Stitch takes the story book and says "I'm lost" and he's all alone and I have to go now.

Yes! I love that movie. I will also add that I used to choke up at the opening montage in Disney's Tarzan. Yes, yes, I cry a lot at movies, people!

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:16 pm

MLIS wrote:I saw Toy Story 3 with a friend, and we agreed afterwards that the moment where we realized Andy was going to play with the toys one last time absolutely destroyed us both. And neither of us even has kids!

A friend of mine warned my about Toy Story 3 by saying, "Up is a laugh riot compared to the tear-jerking of TS3."
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 pm

boutros boutros kitty wrote:Back in the dark ages of VCRs, I had what was referred to as "the crying tape". On it was Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment and Beaches. You might make it through one, maaaaaaybe the second, but no way do you get through all three. It was good for when you needed a cathartic cry.
Oh my. I thought it was bad when I watched My Girl and The Man in the Moon back-to-back once.
I totally have daddy issues, I know, but when we watched The Wrestler any of the Mickey Rourke/Evan Rachel Wood scenes broke me. I had to leave the room by the last one, and my poor husband had no idea what to do with me. I can never, ever watch that movie again.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Dancer in the Dark - I was a huge, huge mess watching the end of this movie.

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next