Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tearjerking Movie Moments

+50
jstilwe
VegetasMom
Renny Sue
Esseilte
eventide82
Unlucky Bear
MtOlivePickles
pinguerin
roly
sen3
epudom
Fiammetta
MaddyCat
whatthedeuce
Crowbridge
subie5
PrincessCleo
Francie Nolan
inversed
Agent Sculder
Lurker
lil d
Carrie Ann
Cynara
Jude
Snarryfan
Gillian
katesti
Corellderaan
mokey75
boutros boutros kitty
Putli Bai
punzy
Kookla
MLIS
Tabby
Simbelmyne
laddical
Wildog27
dionneshea
bookworm
Matinee
slmader
Miss Moneypenny
Instant Monkeys
big chicken
Luthien
swsa
Algae
Paris, Texas
54 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tearjerking Movie Moments - Page 2 Empty Re: Tearjerking Movie Moments

Post  katesti Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Two pages and no one's mentioned the end of Whale Rider? I cry at movies a lot, but I think that's the only one that's made me outright sob, starting with Paikea's speech.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Toy Story 3 is the hardest I have ever cried in a movie theater. My God. I remember frantically digging though my purse during the credits so I could have my sunglasses on before the lights came on, and I couldn't speak to anybody for fear of losing it all over again.

I cried at the beginning of Up, but it was a dignified cry.

I'm honestly not a huge movie crier. I'll tear up, sure, but the full-out cry doesn't usually happen. It happened during Return of the King, and the only other full movie cry I can remember is when I was a little kid and watched Project X, that chimpanzee movie from the 80s with Matthew Broderick and Helen Hunt. The damn cigarette-addicted chimp is about to die, and he doesn't know it because he's a chimp, but Matthew Broderick needs him to do . . . something, I don't remember what . . . or else they'll all die with him. So he gets him to do it by offering him a cigarette as a treat, and when the chimp reaches for his cigarette and realizes he CAN'T HAVE IT because he's BLOCKED BY GLASS and is TOTALLY GOING TO DIE NOW, the damn thing just looks so sad and betrayed and disappointed. And eight-year-old me just freaking lost it. LOST IT. Now that I'm thinking about it, I bet that's totally the reason I don't watch animal movies.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 pm

The first time I watched A.I I sobbed so hard during the last 25 minutes that I embarrassed the friend sitting with me.

The Joy Luck Club kills me when her dad is kind of puttering around the house lamenting that he doesn't know where "Mommy keeps things," and then when she sees her sisters, briefly sees her mother's younger face, and then has to tell them their Mother is dead. The twins just sobbing "sister" = Snarryfan sobbing into a confused cat.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh my, so with you all on Up and Toy Story 3. And any animal movies. The end of the old movie Born Free? There is no way I could get through that without embarrassing myself. That's why I refused to see Marley and Me -- that would be torture for somebody like me.

I can remember crying a lot at the tv movie Sybil with Sally Field. Though I don't know if I'd feel the same way now knowing the whole story was a big old fake. Probably, though. Sally Field can make me cry like no other.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I rarely actually cry at movies (I might get something in my eye for a second, but that's it), but oh my God the end of Big Fish made me sob. (And that was before my dad died. I can't even IMAGINE what it would do to me now.)

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:43 pm

Ugh, katesti, Whale Rider makes me BAWL. I'm still sad Keisha Castle-Hughes's career fizzled.

Up is the big one for me. So much that I actually can't even talk about those scenes with people because I reflexively tear up and it's embarrassing. In addition to all of the Carl and Ellie stuff, I hate when Russell talks about his deadbeat dad and the hated Phyllis. At the end? On the stage? With Carl and the bottle top badge? Wahhhhhhhhhhh. With that movie, I started crying during the short (the clouds with the baby animals? and the stork?) and basically didn't stop until an hour after we left the theater. Yeah.

"Thanks for the adventure. Now go have a new one." Jesus Christ.

Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Cynara wrote:I rarely actually cry at movies (I might get something in my eye for a second, but that's it), but oh my God the end of Big Fish made me sob. (And that was before my dad died. I can't even IMAGINE what it would do to me now.)

I think it took me a half an hour to stop sobbing after that one. I had some post-traumatic stress at the time and basically everything was making me cry. I have NO IDEA what made me think watching that movie was a good idea.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lil d Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:12 am

I would add The Iron Giant to the list of animated movies that destroy me. I don't know how anyone can make it through the end of that movie without crying.

And a lot of sports movies get me, including Rudy. I know that movie is trying to make me to cry but dammit if it doesn't work every time.

lil d

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 am

katesti wrote:Two pages and no one's mentioned the end of Whale Rider? I cry at movies a lot, but I think that's the only one that's made me outright sob, starting with Paikea's speech.

OOOooo, forgot about that one. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. That movie killed me.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:02 am

To Kill a Mockingbird when they stand up for Atticus, and when she finally meets Boo.

I always tear up at the beginning of The Best Years of Our Lives when all the soldiers are coming home, especially the reunion of Frederic March and Myrna Loy. Also the part where the wounded soldier shows his fiance what living with him will be like due to his injuries and he is scared she will leave him or not be able to handle it, and she calmly puts him to bed.

Is it too early to mention The Hunger Games in this thread?

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 am

I must admit I've gotten all teary eyed at a bunch of these, but I'd also like to add Warrior. Yes, the movie about MMA. I was a crying WRECK at the end, and thank goodness I was at home because it would have been really embarrassing at a movie theater.

I will also admit to getting all teary at the two original animated feature films: Snow White and Pinocchio. Particularly, the latter. Geopetto at the end kills me dead.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:09 am

Oh, man Toy Story 3. The end of that movie was one huge cry-fest. And I was pregnant at the time, so hormones were in high gear. I was a mess.

I don't know if it's too soon to mention The Hunger Games, but, yeah. Spent a decent amount of time crying over that one, too.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:41 am

I forgot...Dumbo. The scene with the mom rocking little Dumbo in her trunk? Argh.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am

I cried forever at Big Fish too (and a number of these other ones listed here), but I don't know if any movie has made me cry more than Blood Diamond. I cried for DAYS over that movie.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Project X got me at the end too, when the monkey flew the plane and then Matthew Broderick told him he was free.

My other one that I forgot was Shadowlands and for me the moment when C.S. Lewis and his stepson were sitting on the steps in the attic, after Joy had died and they were looking at the wardrobe and both of them had talked for a section and then both just started weeping and BOOM, I was just a wrecked mess. Huge gasping sobs. And my girlfriend at the time just looked at me like I was some kind of loon. Thankfully it didn't put her off from marrying me later. :-)

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Oh! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where Harry is walking into the woods and you know he's planning on dying and his parents and Sirius and Lupin talk to him. Tears.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Algae wrote:Oh! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where Harry is walking into the woods and you know he's planning on dying and his parents and Sirius and Lupin talk to him. Tears.

Oh, yes, that scene kills me every time. In the book, too.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 pm

In all my 30 years, I had never witnessed my mother cry at a movie until we went to see Toy Story 3. I quietly sobbed throughout the last 20 minutes and was thankful that I was wearing 3D glasses. My mom turned to talk to me, and I assumed she was going to mock me for crying, but instead she asked me for a tissue. Pixar finally broke her. Jesus, what is it about that movie?

I should not be allowed to watch the ending of A League of Their Own because I start weeping every time. Because they're old! And Stillwell tells Dottie that Evelyn died! And oh God, then they sing! Tears!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm

MLIS wrote:
Algae wrote:Oh! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where Harry is walking into the woods and you know he's planning on dying and his parents and Sirius and Lupin talk to him. Tears.

Oh, yes, that scene kills me every time. In the book, too.
Me too. I got teary-eyed when that part was in the previews, and even though I knew it was coming, I pretty much sobbed from the time Sirius got killed until after King's Cross.

And man, did I sob like a baby at
Spoiler:
in The Hunger Games. I told my husband going in that I was going to be a mess, and I totally was.

My husband would kill me if he knew I put this on a message board, but he totally cried at the end of Eternal Sunshine. I mean, I cry every time I watch it, too, but that was the first movie I ever saw him wiping away tears.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Wildog27 wrote:My other one that I forgot was Shadowlands and for me the moment when C.S. Lewis and his stepson were sitting on the steps in the attic, after Joy had died and they were looking at the wardrobe and both of them had talked for a section and then both just started weeping and BOOM, I was just a wrecked mess. Huge gasping sobs. And my girlfriend at the time just looked at me like I was some kind of loon. Thankfully it didn't put her off from marrying me later. :-)
Speaking of which, I cry helplessly through the first, I don't know, fifteen minutes? of the first Narnia movie every time I see it. Every time I saw it in the theater, every time I saw it on DVD, every time I saw it on TV. (Um. That sounds like I've watched it a lot more than I have.) That first book in the series was especially important to me as a kid, and for some reason, I start sniveling at the bombs in the beginning of the movie and don't stop until Lucy gets through the wardrobe.

You know, maybe it's for the same reason I teared up the first time I saw Gandalf in Fellowship of the Ring--he was just so right. Except that my gigantic childhood attachment isn't to LOTR--it's to The Hobbit. Oh God, now I've got THAT to buy stock in Kleenex for.

My mother wants to see The Hunger Games tomorrow. I've already seen it, and she knows what happens, but given the week we've had, we're probably going to cry our damn faces off.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  subie5 Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Pan's Labyrinth made me cry the hardest I have ever cried in a theater. It was crying so hard I couldn't read the subtitles, and I was still crying during the credits. My boyfriend wanted to leave the theater, but I didn't want to walk out till I had stopped crying. Finally I just had to walk out still sobbing.

subie5

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Edward Scissorhands. Need I say more?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 pm

I forgot the 1994 Little Women! "I can be brave like you." And then Hannah sprinkles the rose petals on her bed and "For the Beauty of the Earth" plays. Even laughing at Claire Danes' cryface can't stop me from weeping at that. We ended up watching the movie in one of my grad classes and I totally embarrassed myself.

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Speaking of which, I cry helplessly through the first, I don't know, fifteen minutes? of the first Narnia movie every time I see it. Every time I saw it in the theater, every time I saw it on DVD, every time I saw it on TV. (Um. That sounds like I've watched it a lot more than I have.) That first book in the series was especially important to me as a kid, and for some reason, I start sniveling at the bombs in the beginning of the movie and don't stop until Lucy gets through the wardrobe.

Narnia gets me the same way, and I'm not at all sure why, because I never had the attachment to those books that I did to LOTR or Harry Potter. I mean, I only ever even read the first one. So cynical me is watching the movie like a grown-up, thinking "yeah, this is nice and all, but it ain't Middle Earth." Then Father Christmas shows up and suddenly I'm misty-eyed. And apparently I was just getting warmed up, because before I could figure how what was going on, Aslan appeared, bringing with him the real waterworks. I'm getting shivery just remembering it.

I still don't get it. Apparently subconscious me enjoyed that book a whole lot more than I remembered.

Francie, it's good to know my friend and I weren't the only ones to laugh at Claire Danes' cryface. I swear, her lip quivered in every scene, and every time, we dissolved into giggles.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Sally Fields in Steel Magnolias, dude. Just...tears and tears and tears.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next