Tearjerking Movie Moments

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tearjerking Movie Moments

Post  MLIS on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 pm

I always cry at Little Women, too, but it's the scene after Jo turns down Laurie's proposal and finds out Amy is going to Europe and she says something to Marmee about no wonder Aunt March prefers Amy because Jo is so awkward and awful, and she finishes with "I'll never fit in anywhere." And there's something about the way Winona Ryder's voice breaks on that line that gets me every time.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

That scene didn't get to me as a kid, but as I've grown older, I've really come to relate to how Jo feels at that point. I'm awkward and brash and make stupid decisions that I end up regretting, and there's that fear of never belonging anywhere. Winona Ryder kills in that movie, for real.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Edward Scissorhands. Need I say more?
Oh God. No, you don't need to say more. I cry all the way through that movie. I cry at the happy parts because I anticipate what is going to happen later on, and that makes the happy parts sad. And then come the sad parts which are, of course, even worse. Plus in the background is the saddest music ever.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:51 pm

subie5 wrote:Pan's Labyrinth made me cry the hardest I have ever cried in a theater. It was crying so hard I couldn't read the subtitles, and I was still crying during the credits. My boyfriend wanted to leave the theater, but I didn't want to walk out till I had stopped crying. Finally I just had to walk out still sobbing.

Me, too! It's eerie how this is almost exactly the same as my experience. I simply could not get control of myself, even though we sat through the entire credits, and we had to go with my head stuffed in my boyfriend's shoulder. I have never been wrecked by a movie like that before.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:58 am

I saw Pan's Labyrinth with my best friend and her boyfriend. At the end, she and I sat there, sobbing and clutching each other. Her bf got up to go and kind of reeled when he saw us sitting there like that. It took a good five minutes for us to get ourselves together and get out of there.

Toy Story 3 got me in the theater, but also apparently when I'm rewatching it. But once there was a group of seven or eight people watching it in my living room-- and everyone was crying during the last scene. Some of the guys had their heads buried in pillows, but there were definitely tears involved.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 am

I remember one Friday night having a dvd double bill of Iris followed by Monsters, Inc. I guess I thought that the latter would cheer my up after the sadness of the first but I remember just being in floods of cumulative tears when Boo says "Kitty!" at the end.

As a young teenager I traumatised myself by watching the Jon Voight/Ricky Schroeder version of The Champ, and when he dies at the end and little Ricky is trying to wake him up, I had to take to my bed I was so upset.

As a fan of European cinema, watching a tearjerker with subtitles is doubly difficult, but films like Cinema Paradiso (especially the Director's Cut) and The Chorus left me bereft. I remember seeing the former in a cinema as a student, and there was a guy in his 30s who sobbed loudly for the second half of the film. He was so upset that he had to be taken outside by his female companion.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:56 am

Francie Nolan wrote:I forgot the 1994 Little Women! "I can be brave like you." And then Hannah sprinkles the rose petals on her bed and "For the Beauty of the Earth" plays. Even laughing at Claire Danes' cryface can't stop me from weeping at that. We ended up watching the movie in one of my grad classes and I totally embarrassed myself.

This was just on last night! And I came in at just this part! This version of Little Women is one of the movies I can never turn off.

David Lynch's Elephant Man makes me cry hard body racking tears.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  roly on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:32 am

Add me to the list of Project X criers. It's not fair that that poor circus chimp can't have his cigarette!

Besides the aforementioned moment in The Hunger Games the most recent movie that got me was The Muppets. There were at least four separate scenes I sniffled through, the biggest being the end, when they walk out of the theater.

The LOTR moment that got me most in the theater was the end of Fellowship when Aragorn says they're going after Merry and Pippin. I hadn't yet read the books when I saw it and I figured those two were screwed and I totally cried tears of relief that they were going to be rescued.

I also cried at the beginning of the last Star Trek movie even though I had no emotional attachment to the characters or anything. The whole escape/birth/Kelvin-destruction sequence was just so beautifully shot and the score music was so sad I couldn't help it!

roly

Back to top Go down

Post  pinguerin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 am

One of my college roommates had been obsessed with the Titanic since she was a little girl; she wrote her senior thesis on media portrayals of the Titanic in different period newspapers and magazines. We were in our senior year when the movie came out. She needed a sweatshirt to mop up her tears.

...not tears over Rose and Jack, but tears over the SHIP.

It was like having a commmentary track in the theatre. "Oh, look, they got the chandelier right!" *sob sob sob sob* "Oh look, that actor is portraying [actual person on the ship]! Here's the horrible thing that happened to him!" *sob sob sob sob*

We had to sit far away from other people, yeah.

pinguerin

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Fiammetta wrote:Toy Story 3 got me in the theater, but also apparently when I'm rewatching it. But once there was a group of seven or eight people watching it in my living room-- and everyone was crying during the last scene. Some of the guys had their heads buried in pillows, but there were definitely tears involved.
There were at least 2 separate scenes that nearly had me bawling, one of them being the end, of course.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 am

Growing up, my mom took my brother and I to see movies most of the time, and any time there was an animal being hurt, she'd cry. I used to feel sad, but not to the point of tears. And then came I Am Legend.
Spoiler:
When Will Smith's character mercy-kills Abby, I was a wreck.

My Disney cry moment? The part in Mulan when her father says, "The greatest honor is having you as a daughter." Oh God. My dad and I are pretty close, and it just reminds me of all the times when I felt like I wasn't doing something right and my dad told me he was proud of me regardless. I also cried at The Hunger Games, at the obvious part and also at the Reaping. Right after Katniss tells Prim to go back to their mom, and then Gale has to pick Prim up and take her away screaming. That little crack in Jennifer Lawrence's voice did me in.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:13 am

My dad ALWAYS cries at the end of A League of Their Own. His next-door neighbor growing up played in the women's professional baseball league and he said she was one of the coolest people he knew.

It might be easier at this point to make a list of the movies I don't cry at. I always cry during the first part of Love Actually, with all the people hugging in the airport.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 am

The ending of both the 1967 and 1996 Romeo and Juliet movies. Spoiler: they die! But both movies make me believe even for a brief moment that maybe this time the story will end differently. I especially have to single out Leonardo Dicaprio’s death in the 1996 version: my gosh, he sold that.

Oh my gosh, Claire Danes' gut wrenching sob when she realises Romeo is well and truly gone and you just hear it echo through the mausoleum. SO sad.

My sister always loses it during the first The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie when Carmen goes to her dad's house and sees him with his new family and has a breakdown that involves dialogue like "Why wasn't I enough? Why didn't you want to be with ME?" America Ferrera worked the hell out of that scene.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:39 am

MtOlivePickles wrote:My Disney cry moment? The part in Mulan when her father says, "The greatest honor is having you as a daughter." Oh God. My dad and I are pretty close, and it just reminds me of all the times when I felt like I wasn't doing something right and my dad told me he was proud of me regardless.
What makes me cry is when she's singing "Reflection" after she's screwed up the matchmaking appointment and is told that she shamed her family. That scene is rough, dude!

eventide82, I've heard that Claire Danes was truly sobbing during filming because of Leo's performance in his death scene, so I can see why that cry of hers makes such an impact on you.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 am

pinguerin wrote:One of my college roommates had been obsessed with the Titanic since she was a little girl; she wrote her senior thesis on media portrayals of the Titanic in different period newspapers and magazines. We were in our senior year when the movie came out. She needed a sweatshirt to mop up her tears.

Ah...yep, I did this too. I was mostly quiet about it, but while the Rose and Jack thing was sad, it was the ship that got to me. I was constantly stopping myself from "Oh my god, the staircase. It's beautiful!" and "Oh, Mr. Andrews!". I've been obsessed with that ship for years, so it was the ship that got me.

Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Of all things to make me cry, I never expected Kung Fu Panda 2 to set me off, but I watched it last night for the first time and oh gosh! I didn't know what the movie was going to be about: the first one was good but didn't make me cry, but this one is all about Po finding out what happened to his family and I was a goner, especially when they got to the stuff with his adoptive father. I thought it would be a funny movie to watch!

Big Fish was mentioned earlier: I went to see that with my mother and sister a month after my grandmother died. It was a wonderful movie, but it just tore me apart. I think I went through two packages of Kleenex.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Esseilte wrote:
pinguerin wrote:One of my college roommates had been obsessed with the Titanic since she was a little girl; she wrote her senior thesis on media portrayals of the Titanic in different period newspapers and magazines. We were in our senior year when the movie came out. She needed a sweatshirt to mop up her tears.

Ah...yep, I did this too. I was mostly quiet about it, but while the Rose and Jack thing was sad, it was the ship that got to me. I was constantly stopping myself from "Oh my god, the staircase. It's beautiful!" and "Oh, Mr. Andrews!". I've been obsessed with that ship for years, so it was the ship that got me.

The part that always makes me tear up is when Thomas Andrews stands in front of the fireplace and fixes the clock. That, and "I'm sorry I didn't build you a stronger ship, young Rose."

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Renny Sue on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 am

Mr Andrews kills me every time. It's the first time I'd seen Victor Garber in anything and I fell in love with him.

A.I. -- also the entire movie (I really have a thing about sad robots), but mostly when David's mother leaves him and the part at the end.

I saw that movie on September 12 2001. There were about five people in the cinema and my friend and I went to watch a movie because we couldn't concentrate at uni and wanted to be happy. That scene where they panned to post apocalyptic New York with the trade centers still there? We were flat out sobbing as was the rest of the people there. I don't remember the rest of the movie as we had to leave.

Renny Sue

Back to top Go down

Post  VegetasMom on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 am

I tear up at movies a lot, but the last movie I can remember flat out sobbing over was Hatchi. The part at the end where they show the seasons changing over the years, while the dog still goes to the station every day, and then at the very end where he is so old and weary and walking slow and tired...holy crap I ugly cried like nobody's business.

VegetasMom

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 am

Indeed. See also, Futurama, "Jurassic Bark." I remember as a kid refusing to watch any movie about a dog because the dog usually ended up dying at the end. My dad used to make so much fun of me when we'd watch All Dogs Go to Heaven, and it was right there in the title!
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am

Unlucky Bear wrote: I remember as a kid refusing to watch any movie about a dog because the dog usually ended up dying at the end.
Apparently, when I was little (like 3 or 4), my mom had to shut off The Wizard of Oz, because I was utterly inconsolable when Miss Gulch took Toto away. I was sure something terrible was going to happen to him. I also cried at every Benji and Lassie movie. I still won't watch movies about animals because I know an ugly cry will be involved at some point.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 am

This weekend I showed my mom the trailer for the Disney chimp movie. We were both weeping by the end of it. And it wasn't even sad. Lord.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:59 am

We watched Old Yeller at some point in grade school. I don't know whose idea that was, but I assume the class full of crying kids was an appropriate punishment.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 pm

punzy wrote:We watched Old Yeller at some point in grade school. I don't know whose idea that was, but I assume the class full of crying kids was an appropriate punishment.

Oh God, so did we. We also watched Sounder. And The Yearling--multiple times. In retrospect, our school was clearly run by sadists.

This is probably why I am a complete baby about anything with animals in it today, and refuse to even go near a movie with an animal in unless I am assured that a) no animals die b) no animals are mistreated and c) half the movie is not spent making you think animals will die. I did not go within ten feet of Marley and Me, is what I'm saying.

Instant Monkeys, my mom and I saw an ad for that chimp movie, and we simultaneously yelled out "No!"

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 pm

This one is hugely embarassing, but I cried like a baby during Armageddon, when Bruce Willis tells Liv Tyler (his daughter) that he's not going to be coming home.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top