Scandal

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scandal

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Anyone else check out the pilot? I kind of liked it even though the first couple of scenes had everyone talking way way too fast than was needed.

They kept using the phrase "gladiators in suits" and I'm really going to need them to stop using it. I already know that I'm not going to enjoy the redheaded girl crushing on Desmond from Lost (I have to learn some names).

I shouldn't be loving Olivia Pope
Spoiler:
and the President but damn that kiss was hot between them.

Lots of really cute eye candy on this show. Desmond from Lost, Columbus Short, the guy playing the President, mmmm.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Re: Scandal

Post  xyzzy on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:59 am

I liked it, though it was very Shonda. She and her writers have some habits--like the repetition of the name Olivia Pope, gladiators in suits, etc--that can be a little grating.

I watched the second episode on Hulu and was able to see the "twist" coming from a mile away. Shonda & Co. can be a bit anvilicious. Still, I very much like the moral ambiguity on display so far. Pope and her team may consider themselves white hats but I was actually not a fan of how she
Spoiler:
used political leverage to get a Madame off scot-free.
That may be how Washington works, but I don't have to like it.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:25 am

We watched the first five minutes and decided to pause (though not delete) and watch the West Wing pilot instead. I imagine we will go back but good god, the editing/dialogue of the opening scenes I thought were riffing on that and falling woefully behind.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:27 am

That rapid-fire dialogue mostly disappears after the first few scenes.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:30 am

It wasn't the rapid-fire dialogue style that turned me off. It was that it was bad dialogue and that scene in the bar where she doesn't know if it was a date or a job interview and than it turns into a monologue where she gets hired while acting like a moron made me want to watch a good DC based show. Also, whoever cast the younger new hire should have gotten someone who was 12 not someone who looked like she could be Kerry's older dowdier college roommate.

Also, the notion of a kidnapped baby that they just left in a bankers box for an extended period of time is why I hate Shonda. It's like she says fuck you to realism at every level.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  bosoxgirl on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:10 am

It was that it was bad dialogue and that scene in the bar where she doesn't know if it was a date or a job interview and than it turns into a monologue where she gets hired while acting like a moron made me want to watch a good DC based show.

Exactly. That bar scene was ridiculous. Plus, you blindside someone with a job interview in a bar and then mock how she's dressed to an interview she didn't even know she was going to? Uh, ok. Not that she wasn't also a moron but still.

I am always astounded by Kerry Washington's beauty though. She is simply gorgeous.

Last edited by bosoxgirl on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 am

I thought the second episode was much better than the first, mostly because there weren't as many trying-too-hard-to-be-clever moments as in the pilot. I've always liked Kerry Washington but I'm really enjoying her here because she's balancing the hard ass and vulnerability of Olivia Pope very well. She's smart but not smug, and she can be mean but she isn't mean which makes the character relatable. And as cliche as the presidential affair is, I *totally* buy that a woman like Olivia Pope would fall for a guy who wanted to be and now is President. Good casting call with Tony Goldwyn too.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 am

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the show. It's like a West Wing where there are actual black people who live in Washington D.C. (imagine that!) and the people are less insufferable. I actually like that when Olivia's side wins it's often by doing something underhanded, I like it a lot better than the good guys being angels and heroes and super ethical. I like that everyone is a little morally ambiguous and no one is perfect, and the characters are all fun so far. Plus, Kerry Washington is fantastic, and there's Paris from Gilmore Girls and Desmond from Lost, AND Jeremy from Sports Night.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:53 am

Jasmine wrote:Yeah, I'm really enjoying the show. It's like a West Wing where there are actual black people who live in Washington D.C. (imagine that!) and the people are less insufferable.

I guess I should watch ep 2. I loved West Wing but damn! I thought the crew at the (whatever, not law) firm were about the smuggest group of individuals I've ever encountered on a tv drama, and was completely turned off by them. I ended up not liking any of the characters enough to come back for the second episode.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:39 pm

The only character I outright hate is the redhead for her childish "OMG you hired a prostitute, ewww, so gross, ewww" taunting of Stephen. Whose name I only know because of her taunting. Grow up chick.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:11 pm

But she was clearly only doing that because she's in love with him, and was bitter that he hired a prostitute instead of sleeping with her, right?

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 pm

But she was equally insufferable last week. I wanted to like the show, I like the actors but I just can't. I watched both episodes and I think the writing is just so weak and unrealistic.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:05 pm

I watched both episodes last night, and overall I enjoyed them. There are plenty of things I could nitpick (especially with the prostitution storyline - no, most guys don't go to prostitutes, and the DOJ shouldn't be knucking under to the Congressional pressure, they should be investigating the political pressure to drop a federal felony investigation, because that's just seriously corrupt) but they didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the show. I like Olivia, the gladiator in the suit (Olivia is right, he does have charm), the AUSA, and the President's chief of staff. I'm withholding judgment on the rest of the characters until they actually get developed a bit more.

I will agree that
Spoiler:
Olivia and the President are hot together - which is messed up, yet undeniable. I wonder if they're going to play is as an unconventional Pygmalion - she made him, and has thus fallen in love with her own creation.

I'm worried about the next episode though - I think the plot is rape related, and there are so very many ways that they could alienate me with that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see where they go with it.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm enjoying it a lot, but then I liked Grey's Anatomy for way longer than I should have. I read the post here about the "gladiators in suits" line before watching the pilot, so that line SUPER grates every time I hear it. Which is a lot.

The redhead is obnoxious and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out where I know her from. She was Glenn's mom on Mad Men, the "scandalous" divorcee who liked to go on walks. The unrequited crush on a person who has no idea was played out TO DEATH (rip George) on Grey's, so I hope they go somewhere different with this one.
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm

I kind of want him to know but not care. In a "it's not my problem" way. Just because I don't like her, lol.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Somehow I got behind on this show but I caught up last night. I can't believe they killed off Amanda! I thought for sure she was alive somewhere even when Huck told Olivia. Even when they started to bring the body up I thought it was going to turn out to be someone else. So she's dead and they know the baby wasn't the President's.

I can't wait for Thursday's ep, where we get to the start of Fitz and Olivia's romance.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:Somehow I got behind on this show but I caught up last night. I can't believe they killed off Amanda! I thought for sure she was alive somewhere even when Huck told Olivia. Even when they started to bring the body up I thought it was going to turn out to be someone else.

Me too! This sounds so morbid, but I was pleasantly surprised she ended up actually being dead. I guess I always expect to be faked out and ran around in circles for several episodes before getting anywhere. It's so nice to get a show with some actual momentum.
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Fri May 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Renewed for 2nd season!

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Fri May 18, 2012 12:12 am

Stupid cliffhangers! I may be a sucker, but I want to know who Quinn is, dammit.

I also hated the way they forced the President into staying in office and in his sham marriage, plus now a new baby with a woman he doesn't love! Honestly, I know Shonda didn't want to shake up the general concept of the show too much, but I'm sure she could've managed to find something interesting to do with Olivia even if she was dating the ex-President.

And I enjoy Huck the most of all the secondary cast. Totally damaged, casually homicidal characters are wildly entertaining to me, as it turns out.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 pm

This does not make me happy.
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Booooo to the first half of that story, but yay to the second. I like Josh Malina.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:45 pm

He must be an even bigger a-hole than he was rumored to be on Lost.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:20 pm

I started watching this show yesterday and am now caught up in a mini-marathon (of squeeing). Paris Gellar! Will Bailey! Kerry Washington being awesome! But to me the most squeeworthy thing of all is: TYLER FROM THE MIDDLEMAN! God, how I loved him then and how I love him now. The plots of the individual episodes are rather standard fare, but I do love the overarching story, and I don't even mind being spoiled for parts of it. I guess I'll report back when I'm done. (I also noticed how much West Wing screwed with my perception of things. First time Olivia meets with Cyrus, I immediately yelled out "He's a Leo!" And indeed he was.)

ETA: Okay, this did not make as much sense as I had hoped. If
Spoiler:
Cyrus did order the hit on Amanda, then why did the VP's Chief of Staff kill Gideon? And on that note: Aw maaaaan, don't kill off the cute guy that had me squeeing!
Meh.

But on the upside: I love the First Lady! Her ruthlessness somehow endears her to me. Someone has to behave like a pro, and I'm glad she's somewhat picking up her husband's slack.
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Spoiler:
The VP's chief of staff killed Gideon because Gideon figured out that Amanda was his girlfriend and the baby was his, when he had set the whole thing up so that he could pin it on the President and bring him down.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm

So we know who Quinn is and we still don't know anything.

How Olivia and Fitz manage to have so much chemistry over a damn phone call, I have no clue. The little "I hate you" exchange was cute. But they are walking a dangerous line. Now is not the time to cross the First Lady though I did love Fitz's smackdown of her after she went off during the interview. I need for him to stand up to her and Cyrus more, they are all walking right over him. Grow some balls dude.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top