Oscars 2012

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2012

Post  Putli Bai on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm

I've seen six of the nine, and plan to catch Tree of Life, Midnight in Paris, and Extremely Loud before the ceremony.

I've been trying to put my finger on the disconnect between this year's movies and nominations. Thing is, there were many excellent movies that only had limited releases, but few really great movies that received a wide release. I don't live in the middle of nowhere - there is a 20 screen theater five minutes from my house, and a major college town twenty minutes to the south. But do we get the quality movies? No, we get multiple screens showing Twilight, Transformers, and Chipmunk movies and with a screen left over for whatever Nicholas Cage is doing to pay the bills these days. The reason I haven't seen Tree of Life or Midnight in Paris is because the closest theater that showed them was an hour away. Well, that, plus Woody Allen gives me the wiggens. And I'm still irked that I didn't get to see Tree of Life on the big screen.

I'd also like to renew my annual gripe about the animated feature film catagory. I know they feel obligated to include a film no one has heard of and isn't showing anywhere, just to mess with the completists. Which, yeah, ok, fine, I never would have seen "Secret of the Kells" otherwise. But this year there are two "unseeable" movies, both of which were originally released in 2010. Now I think they're just messing with us.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:48 am

I agree with the feeling that this was a good year for movies. Even if the nominations are BLAH.
No Elizabeth Olson,no SWINTON,no Juno Temple (Go rent Dirty Girl NOW. No seriously. Go now.),no Fassbinder? Really?

Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 am

All I know is that if Elizabeth Taylor just gets tossed in the death montage and doesn't rate a special clip-filled tribute of her own, I am going to be sorely disappointed.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 am

Have they every done that? Usually they put them at the end and add more clips but I don't think I remember special tributes to other deceased stars.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:44 am

They do if the celeb is an especially big star. Katharine Hepburn and Gregory Peck got them. So did Frank Sinatra. And Bob Hope. And more that I can't remember I'm sure. Usually they get a current celebrity the star liked to introduce it (Julia Roberts for Katharine Hepburn).
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:47 am

Well now I am upset because I am pretty sure Paul Newman was just the end of a montage.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:49 am

I remember reading an interview that had said that Newman was uncomfortable with a big dealio so thats why they didn't give him one. I choose to believe that's true because the alternative is annoying.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 am

Esme wrote:... Tree of Life which I thought was ambitious, challenging, beautiful and lingered with me for days.

Interestingly, that was my reaction to Thin Red Line, Mallick's last film. I saw it and actually thought I didn't like it. Until three days later I realized I was still tihnking about it, obsessively, so I went and saw it again and realized it was everything you said about Tree Of Life.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 pm

Have they every done that? Usually they put them at the end and add more clips but I don't think I remember special tributes to other deceased stars.

Molly Ringwald and many other Brat Packers feted John Hughes on stage, too.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Why do we even have the Show if there's not going to be any *show*? If you'd told me after my Spring '98 semester where I ate, drank, and slept movies with 20 other students in a special film production program that there would come a day when I hate literally *everything* about the Oscars, I would have laughed in your face. And yet here we are. Fuck.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

I could sort of understand them doing the medley of songs to save time (still annoying), but none whatsoever? That's going to help the sinking ratings how? I thought the year Beyonce sang every.last.song. despite not being involved in any of the movies and clearly having no concept of what French actually sounds like was bad enough, but I'd rather have that (they're both in English! She'll sing well and wear a couple fabulous outfits!) than nothing.

And since it's Billy Crystal this year, I bet we're still going to have to sit through his musical number. We'll get a song about the movies, but not the songs from the movies. If we want to talk about filler...
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

I feel sad for the people behind the songs, but a part of me thinks it may be for the best. Sometimes the Oscars highlights songs well. Other times we get Asbestos raining from the air and cars being set on fire while Lindsay's mom from the OC sings to us about racism as depicted in the movie Crash.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Boo. I was looking forward to seeing Jason Segel and Muppets singing during the ceremony. That was pretty much the only thing I was looking forward to, since I've barely seen any nominated movies this year.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:16 pm

The thing is, of all the years to get rid of the Best Song category, they do it in a year where there are only two songs to begin with, and when MUPPETS are involved?!

All in the name of "making the ceremony shorter." God, just accept that it's going to be long and embrace the ridiculous montages. It's always going to be long, devotees will watch anyway, and people who don't watch aren't going to suddenly tune in because the show's going to be three hours FOR REALZ this time!
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Pretty soon they will cut the documentary, foreign language, and shorts awards and replace them with some sort of stupid reality competition. Sad.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I wanted Bret! BRET! Now Bret will not sing on the Oscars and I am sad.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:46 am

mrinsouciance wrote:Pretty soon they will cut the documentary, foreign language, and shorts awards and replace them with some sort of stupid reality competition. Sad.

Shhhh! Do not give them any freaking ideas!

I really don't get what the Oscars are trying to do. All they have is montages, speeches, and the songs. No songs, the show is montages and speeches. And only like 8 of the speeches are by recognizable people.

I'm saying, eliminating songs is not how to get people who don't watch the Oscars to watch the Oscars.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:36 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:Pretty soon they will cut the documentary, foreign language, and shorts awards and replace them with some sort of stupid reality competition. Sad.
Entertainment Weekly suggested cutting the short film awards from the ceremony and giving them out in a non-televised ceremony beforehand in their latest Oscar issue. Reading this filled me with RAGE. These people deserve to be recognized, too! And if they were cut from the broadcast, we wouldn't have been exposed to the delightful Luke Matheny last year!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Since I also haven't seen many of the films or performances up for awards this year, the part of the ceremony I'm looking forward to most are the awards in the more technical categories and for short-films. The winners in those categories are usually just so happy to be there, and tend to give the most heart-warming speeches.

One thing that does make this year interesting though: there doesn't seem to be much consensus on who's going to win in most of the major categories. Between the "snubs" and the fact no one seems to have won most of critics awards, the field is wide-open. Of course, that also increases the likelihood that someone random will win due to vote splitting.

I'm just starting to catch up on 2011 movies, and frankly I'm SHOCKED Drive got passed over. Even if the Academy didn't want to nominate the Gos, Albert Brooks certainly deserved it.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:One thing that does make this year interesting though: there doesn't seem to be much consensus on who's going to win in most of the major categories. Between the "snubs" and the fact no one seems to have won most of critics awards, the field is wide-open. Of course, that also increases the likelihood that someone random will win due to vote splitting.
I think Christopher Plummer and Octavia Spencer have the supporting categories pretty much sewn up at this point. However, the lead categories are more of a question mark, and while The Artist seems to have a lot of momentum for Best Picture, there are still a couple of possible spoilers in the running.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Yeah, I thought Clooney had this all sewn up, but now Dujardin has the SAG and the BAFTA and I think he just might take it. I hope he does.

I've been doing some "crashing for the Oscars" and I've seen 5 of the Best Picture nominees - The Artist, Hugo, The Help, The Tree of Life, Midnight in Paris - and I liked them all well enough but The Artist is the only one I thought was really special.

I also saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Despite Rooney Mara's annoying persona in interviews I thought she was quite good and deserved the nomination. I have no idea how she'd be in a movie that wasn't as heavily directed, and who knows if she'll be able to have a longer career, but she did well in this film. And not only was Gary Oldman brilliant and subtle in Tinker Tailor but I thought that was the closest thing to a perfectly-made movie I have seen in a long, long time. I was blown away by how good that was.

Also, in terms of acting nods, why the hell hasn't anyone said anything about Ben Kingsley in Hugo? Seriously? He couldn't get a nod in at least one major awards show?
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Looks like Kermit and Miss Piggy will be on the Oscar broadcast after all.

Sounds like someone heard that people weren't too happy about eliminating the performances of the Best Song category.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Did everyone skip it this year? Maybe not enough people saw the nominees. Never fear - you can catch up with kids reenacting the nominees.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  SNeaker on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Well, I missed it because my stupid DirectTV was out because the stupid wind knocked out the stupid dish. Really annoyed about it too because I love Billy Crystal (don't hate me -- I grew up on a steady diet of him and Mel Brooks), and I'd actually seen a bunch of this year's nominees.

Thanks for those parodies -- they're hilarious!

Last edited by SNeaker on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

SNeaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top