Oscars 2012

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2012

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm

I love Billy Crystal too, and was surprised to discover on The Internet that people were sick of his hosting. I loved all his jabs about the Kodak Theater and the return of "What are they thinking?"

The Wizard of Oz focus group was wonderful.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Let me reiterate my frustration that Chris Rock hasn't been asked back just because Sean Penn is a humorless prick.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm glad to hear someone else liked Billy hosting the show besides me. I'd like to think you don't have to have all your food put through a blender in order to enjoy last night's show (which I did).

The ash-spilling on Seacrest was just - wow. Great in so many ways.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Huh. I've always liked Billy Crystal before but I thought this was one of the worst hosting jobs ever. Mr "I don't need to be mean to people" started with a fat joke about Jonah Hill (who I don't even like) and it went downhill from there for me. Maybe he just didn't have enough time to work up any good material, but I hope this is the last we see of Billy.
I'm also enormously irked that they couldn't be bothered to have the 2 Best Song nominees performed and instead gave us that crappy Cirque du Soleil travesty.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Nothing could be worse than the year he mped around because his Oscar beg Mr Saturday Night rightfully wasn't nominated.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

I didn't like the Jonah Hill fat joke either, but I found myself laughing at most of the others.

I also clearly missed a huge piece of gossip because what's with this Sean Penn/Chris Rock thing?
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Let me reiterate my frustration that Chris Rock hasn't been asked back just because Sean Penn is a humorless prick.

Not that Sean Penn isn't a humorless prick, but while many in the viewing audience thought he was hysterical, his jokes did not go over well with most of the audience in the theater.

I also clearly missed a huge piece of gossip because what's with this Sean Penn/Chris Rock thing?

When Chris hosted he made a joke about Jude Law asking who he was and how he got cast in everything (the same joke also targeted Tobey Maguire and Colin Farrell and himself) basically Hollywood needs to wait for the actors they want not just cast the actors they have, "If you want Tom Cruise and all that's available is Jude Law. Wait!"

Sean Penn did not like this so when he was presenting Best Actress he announced that Jude was one of the finest actors working today.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Huh. I've always liked Billy Crystal before but I thought this was one of the worst hosting jobs ever. Mr "I don't need to be mean to people" started with a fat joke about Jonah Hill (who I don't even like) and it went downhill from there for me. Maybe he just didn't have enough time to work up any good material, but I hope this is the last we see of Billy.
I'm also enormously irked that they couldn't be bothered to have the 2 Best Song nominees performed and instead gave us that crappy Cirque du Soleil travesty.

I didn't like the fat joke even though I can't stand Jonah Hill. I also think he's starting to gain the weight back so it had to hurt. I was not a fan of Billy last night. He felt dated but in a bad way and not in a throwback way like Hugh Jackman or even desperate Ann Hathaway. He had a lot of really corny jokes and some that were just bad. Like the race stuff, just stop. And no one needed your Sammy Davis Jr impression.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Oh yeah, I remember that joke and Penn being a jerk, but I thought The Dude was referring to something in addition to that.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:27 pm

I didn't like it at all. Crystal in blackface was really weird and then he followed that with a fat joke. And after Octavia was played off the stage, you comment that that is what the Oscars are all about (THEY TOLD HER TO WRAP IT UP) and then make a joke about how there are no black people in Beverly Hills? No.

The whole thing was just so safe, designed to appeal to the same 50-somethings that make up the Academy.

My favorites were Chris Rock and Emma Stone.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 pm

I liked Crystal's Bale joke's and his working with Christopher Guest on the Wizard of Oz package, I liked that they edited out the fucking clapping for dead folks, I thought the show was paced really well, and it had Sheila E, making it the best Oscars ever IMO.

Dean Pelton winning and busting on The Jolie made it all the better, as did Bret winning for Best Song.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm

curryalley wrote:Crystal in blackface was really weird

You'll certainly get no argument from me on that.

I also enjoyed the Bridesmaids' running SCORCESE! bit.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I love that they cut to Scorcese and he seemed to have no idea why they were shouting his name.
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Which is weird because I have seen at least one interview where he was shown the video of the SAG gag and a few more where he was asked about it.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:03 pm

I must have blinked during the blackface bit because I don't remember it at all, and I've heard several people reference it.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Maybe you were mesmerized by the Bieb? He was doing his Sammy Davis, Jr. in the Midnight in Paris bit with Justin Bieber at the beginning.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm

It was the bit in the opening clip where he did his Sammy Davis, Jr. in the Beiber-car.

I'm fascinated how some of the scuttle out there is how this was "the worst Oscar show EVER". These people say that EVERY YEAR.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm

When he was playing Sammy Davis, Jr. I suppose it *is* blackface, but in my mind (which doesn't count for much being white) doing an impersonation of a specific individual that includes heavy make-up is quite a bit different from a generic caricature built solely on stereotypes.

But while I don't see a problem with the joke in principle, I do think it was stupid, unnecessary, and way out of left field. The bit with Billy and Beebs staring awkwardly at each other for a few moments was funny. The SDJ reveal killed it.

I wouldn't say it was the "WORST EVER", but I do believe it was the most boring. Which is saying something because I think it was also one of the shortest in recent memory. Things kind of dragged a bit once they hit "Best Director", but I remember looking at a clock and being shocked that it was just after 8pm on the West Coast when they hit that point. So just over two and a half hours to get all but four of the awards out of the way.

Last edited by laddical on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:08 pm

It's in the opening montage when he's running through the movie clips. He's doing Midnight In Paris and in the limo is Justin Bieber who makes a quip about being there for the 18-24 demo (??) then the shot widens to reveal Billy doing his Sammy Davis Jr. impression saying he thinks Bieber is the next Sinatra and that they are going to go kill Hitler.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

The Titantic commercial for the 3D release got the biggest reaction of the night among my friends.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:43 pm

big chicken wrote:The Titantic commercial for the 3D release got the biggest reaction of the night among my friends.

Pro or con?

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

OH, I see. I must have been drunk/not wearing my glasses because I didn't even know that was Crystal as Sammy Davis Jr. Yeah, that Bieber bit would've been funnier without the impersonation. I was especially amused when Biebs called Crystal the wrong name.

I'm fascinated how some of the scuttle out there is how this was "the worst Oscar show EVER". These people say that EVERY YEAR.

No way was it the worst ever. The Wizard of Oz focus group bit automatically made it better than last year's.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 pm

mrinsouciance wrote:
big chicken wrote:The Titantic commercial for the 3D release got the biggest reaction of the night among my friends.

Pro or con?

Pro. They're excited to see it on the big screen again. Some of them saw it more than once when it first came out.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 pm

The Wizard Of Oz focus group was fine. "What Are They Thinking?" was okay (I really liked the Nick Nolte "HURRRRR" shot), but felt a bit dated. The opening medley was terrible. In general, the show felt stale, tired, and like they weren't even trying.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, the medley was painful. The second-hand embarassment was so bad I actually put my fingers in my ears and hummed like a little kid, much to the distress of the dogs.

While I'd still like to see a Jackman/Hathaway team up (and maybe next year, with Les Miz on tap, we might get it), I realized last night that the guy they should ask is Tom Hanks.

I actually cried out "NO!" when Meryl won over Viola, then immediately felt guilty when she called me on it. The force is strong with that one.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top