Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscars 2012

+59
Crowbridge
KaveDweller
The Dude
SNeaker
Agent Sculder
Instant Monkeys
Coneycat
Fraoch
Case
dionneshea
Esme
mokey75
MichiSichi
bbridges
Unlucky Bear
Jessica
vidor
MaddyCat
Jamie
punkysdilemma
caerbannog
TiffanyNichelle
mrinsouciance
ulkis
Luthien
curryalley
Matinee
bookworm
naughty zoot
ActonBell
Auroura76
jcpdiesel21
sen3
RiverThames
big chicken
Paris, Texas
PrincessCleo
eventide82
Eris Rising
swsa
blixie
Miss Moneypenny
Pumpkin Cake
jennlynnster
Algae
Shalamar
whatthedeuce
Poubelle
particle_person
Binky
jensa
Putli Bai
year of the cat
Kiran
mo pie
Jasmine
laddical
biakbiak
queenofdenile
63 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Oscars 2012 - Page 2 Empty Re: Oscars 2012

Post  Pumpkin Cake Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:I think he lost a lot of goodwill when he knocked up Scary Spice and refused to acknowledge paternity.

I totally forgot about this! Yes, that was pretty scuzzy. It may be easier for me to believe that he's still funny because it doesn't seem like he's really TRIED to be funny since The Klumps (with the exception of Bowfinger). He's tried to be family-friendly, which is clearly not his skill set (although I could be wrong; I have no idea who Norbit was aimed at). In my mind, Funny Eddie Murphy retired after Beverly Hills Cop III flopped, and with the right platform, he could show up again.

(I didn't mind the walking out of the Oscars thing because it was AWESOME and something I wish would happen every year instead of the stone-faced clapping for your nationally televised loss.)

Pumpkin Cake

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Also I have no idea if this is actually true but in his Rolling Stone interview he said he was okay till people started coming up to him to sympathize with him and say maybe next time. That he didn't take issue with Arkin winning but that. Now I have no idea if that is true but I hope it is because according to him the last straw was "Beyonce's dad" trying to get all THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

I remember when Billy Crystal had to talk Bill Murray into staying when he lost.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:45 pm

oesn't seem like he's really TRIED to be funny since The Klumps

Daddy Day Care was another family film, but I did think it was solidly to very funny. He wasn't old school Eddie, but he was funny.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Legit?
@BillyCrystal Billy Crystal
Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

I checked Deadline and hes in talks.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

It's a boring and predictable choice so probably true!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:56 pm

I hope so. I love Billy Crystal. Even at his worst as an Oscar host, he was still pretty good. He's like the pizza of Oscar hosts.

I just saw Eddie in Haunted Mansion again, which wasn't that long ago (it came out in 2003, I believe). He was funny, warm, and a grown-up in that. I want more of that Eddie.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Academy has confirmed Crystal will be the host.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 pm

It's interesting how quickly they landed him when in other years it seems like they begged and pleaded to no avail. Kind of wondering if that Murphy/Crystal feud isn't still a thing.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Variety's confirmed it.

A safe and predictable choice, but you're going to go for safe and predictable (and experienced) in a case like this.

EDIT: Oops, ninja'd.

I didn't know about a Murphy/Crystal feud.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:12 pm

I love Billy Crystal. Love, love, love him, so I'm looking forward to it.

I didn't know about a Murphy/Crystal feud..

Me either. Details, anyone?
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I knew he for a while had a general SNL feud but I didn't know about him and Crystal.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:21 pm

I still and forever want Eddie Izzard to do the show. To me he's ideal, he can have fun dressing to the transvestite nines, he's got the satiric bite of Gervaise only with charm and panache, and I think he genuinely loves movies and the whole silly affair.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:31 pm

That would be brilliant.

I'm happy about Crystal, though. I've always liked him as the Oscar host no matter how many times he does it. Even though I'd rather see the show change it up and have different people, it is a (somewhat) last-minute change.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Definitely a boring and predictable choice, but I'm okay with it, because when the Oscars try to do something daring, it ends up being terrible. I mean, I would have been delighted with NPH, especially since it would have been a nice response to Ratner's homophobia, but oh well.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm

eventide82 wrote:I love Billy Crystal. Love, love, love him, so I'm looking forward to it.

I didn't know about a Murphy/Crystal feud..

Me either. Details, anyone?
All I remember is that when Murphy came back to host SNL when Crystal was a castmember, Crystal openly spoke out about how unprofessional and dickish he was and how they were all basically treated like crap.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Jasmine wrote:Definitely a boring and predictable choice, but I'm okay with it, because when the Oscars try to do something daring, it ends up being terrible. I mean, I would have been delighted with NPH, especially since it would have been a nice response to Ratner's homophobia, but oh well.
Yeah, I just see this as the Academy being terrified by this brush with "young and edgy" and running screaming back to the arms of the most old-fashioned host they could think of (I say this fondly). And whatever prep time they've lost--Billy Crystal can do it in his sleep, so they've made up for that as well.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:21 am

Yeah, Billy Crystal is a safe choice, but he's also not a bad choice. Plus it's a sure bet he won't show up obviously stoned. That always helps.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 am

Does anyone know why they are going back to 5 BP nominations this year? I think it's a great idea. Whilst it was fun that small movies and genre pics like Winter's Bone and District 9 were nominated, there was so much bloat that it took a lot of the glamour and prestige out of proceedings. I mean, The Blind Side, An Education, True Grit and 127 Hours had a lot going for them as far as it goes, but they also scream "filler".

Kiran wrote:Also I have no idea if this is actually true but in his Rolling Stone interview he said he was okay till people started coming up to him to sympathize with him and say maybe next time. That he didn't take issue with Arkin winning but that. Now I have no idea if that is true but I hope it is because according to him the last straw was "Beyonce's dad" trying to get all THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

I remember when Billy Crystal had to talk Bill Murray into staying when he lost.
It's funny that SNL's two most talented alumni have this Oscar Walkout Cloud hanging over them. I think The Bill Murray incident was so much worse than the Eddie thing, because they got a few over the shoulder shots of him looking extremely upset and being calmed down by his wife before Billy Crystal called him out from the stage.

Haha, Beyonce's dad would be the last straw for anyone. I'd be like, dude. No. Leave me alone and go annoy a nearby producer about getting your daughter and her ugly upholstery fabric dress another star vehicle. Eddie did return to present an Oscar to Jerry Lewis the year Bill Condon produced the show, so I don't think he held a genuine grudge against anyone.

Speaking of Beyonce, she was admitted as a voting member of the academy last year. Which branch, I don't know. I guess it is just a matter of time before she gets an acting nomination. The thought horrifies me. (I assume that she will never get a songwriting nom because she never writes enough of her songs in terms of percentages to warrant it).

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 am

From what I understand, they're not going back to 5 Best Picture nominees. They're changing the rules so that only films with a certain number of #1 votes will get the nomination, and allowing anywhere from 5 to 10 nominees. We could have seven Best Picture nominees this year, for example.

And that new system really fucks with prognosticating, by the way. [/petty complaint]
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm

I wish they'd expand that system to the acting categories too. Some years you can barely fill up the five nominees for a given category but other years there are a lot of really great performances. Anything that will make the eventual winner less predictable can only be a good thing.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Ah, thank you, queen.
I agree, that as a Oscar nerd (well, former Oscar nerd - I've fallen off the wagon 2 or 3 years ago) 5 nominees were the most fun. It was always be fun to guess the populist director (or directors - sometimes there were two) of a Best Picture nominee who would get shafted for a Directing nod, in favour of a slightly more outre or critical darling, like David Lynch or Julian Schnabel. The few years of my recent memory that all of the BP/BD nominees matched up were a total surprise to me.

Oh well. I suppose what is left for us is to guess which unfortunate person from the Newsweek Oscar roundtable discussion will miss out on an Acting nomination.

Apparently a film needs a minimum of 5% #1 votes to be nominated. Given there are roughly 6000 members of AMPAS who can vote (and assuming they bother to nominate at all), that means a minimum of 300 votes are required. That's not much at all! Piss easy to rig if you are a Harvey Weinstein type who can make some phone calls to crew members promising cases of champagne and brown paper envelopes containing job offers if his latest obsession is nominated, or an someone at WME who can convince one of his senile acting acquaintances who peaked in the 1960s to vote for whatever film package his agency put together.

I wouldn't want this expanded to the acting categories. I'm a fascist in this regard and am totally not of the "every kid deserves a trophy" when it applies the dog eat dog world of the movie business. And the Oscars are not so much about the best films and filmmaking, but about preserving what Hollywood glamour is left. The awards will lose a their cache if nominations become less exclusive. Considering how much "stardom" depends upon reputation and heat, imagine how even more meaningless it would be if potentially 20 actors and 20 actress could be across the leading and supporting categories. There would be a lot of Meryl Streep in Mama Mia and Robert De Niro in Analyse This gimmicky roles getting though, as well as the Ingenue Supporting Actress potential going absolutely Haywire.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I wouldn't want this expanded to the acting categories. I'm a fascist in this regard and am totally not of the "every kid deserves a trophy"

I'm of exactly the opposite opinion, I think there are always way more performances I wish were recognized than movies. Movies benefit just from being in the conversation even if they don't end up nominated, but I HATE when great performances are ignored and overlooked (especially in smaller films like Greta Gerwig/Ben Stiller in Greenberg last year), nominations are a great way to recognize the performance while still only having ONE winner.

And I can't EVEN with this season and The Tree of Fucking Life, or Brad Pitt getting best Actor from NYFCC. which he got for two different movies because he wasn't actually *great* in either one, but really good in both. Meh.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I agree. A year like this year, is actually REALLY GOOD for actresses. It would be fantastic if we were able to celebrate performances that may not get the fifth spot like Kirsten Dunst, or Felicity Jones.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Paris, Texas wrote:I'm a fascist in this regard and am totally not of the "every kid deserves a trophy" when it applies the dog eat dog world of the movie business.

You know, this is pretty much why I can never get into the Independent Spirit Awards.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next