Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscars 2012

+59
Crowbridge
KaveDweller
The Dude
SNeaker
Agent Sculder
Instant Monkeys
Coneycat
Fraoch
Case
dionneshea
Esme
mokey75
MichiSichi
bbridges
Unlucky Bear
Jessica
vidor
MaddyCat
Jamie
punkysdilemma
caerbannog
TiffanyNichelle
mrinsouciance
ulkis
Luthien
curryalley
Matinee
bookworm
naughty zoot
ActonBell
Auroura76
jcpdiesel21
sen3
RiverThames
big chicken
Paris, Texas
PrincessCleo
eventide82
Eris Rising
swsa
blixie
Miss Moneypenny
Pumpkin Cake
jennlynnster
Algae
Shalamar
whatthedeuce
Poubelle
particle_person
Binky
jensa
Putli Bai
year of the cat
Kiran
mo pie
Jasmine
laddical
biakbiak
queenofdenile
63 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Oscars 2012 - Page 3 Empty Re: Oscars 2012

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 am

I'm kind of blown away by how many good leading roles there were for women this year. It's actually a competitive race. What a nice change!
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm

twitchfilm.com's campaign over the past few weeks to get Fast Five nominated in every category has been awesome. The one for Best Actress today is, just wow.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Haha!
Even through her corded, sweaty muscles, and the go-against-the-grain beauty of her bald pate, she commands an energy and provides another layer of depth, to her character, that is as electrifying as it is illuminating.
That is poetry friends.

Who and what are everyone's sentimental favourites this year? I'm pulling for Glenn Close and Gary Oldman. I'm not holding out hope for either of them, as she is supposedly "too subtle" compared to the vibrant Janet McTeer, and he hasn't picked up much hype, but considering how each of them have been overlooked 2 or 5 times, I'd like to see them at the podium .

And it pains me to say this because I worship at the altar of Charlize, but Jason Reitman annoys me so much that I hope Young Adult walks away with nothing.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Even though I haven't seen it yet, I am pulling for Christopher Plummer in Beginners. I have read amazing things about this performance, and cannot believe that he has only been nominated for an Oscar once previously and has never won.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:00 am

And it pains me to say this because I worship at the altar of Charlize, but Jason Reitman annoys me so much that I hope Young Adult walks away with nothing.

That's how I feel about Diablo Cody, who, quite frankly, can suck it.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:31 am

I used to feel that way about Diablo Cody because I thought Juno, while charming, was way too twee for my taste, but she's earned a lot of good will for United States of Tara, which I thought was fascinating. And I kind of want Young Adult to do well simply because of the poster. I'm totally seeing that opening weekend.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:52 am

I saw a screening of it at the U of A and I have to say its unlike Diablo Cody's other two movies. I enjoy Reitman's work so I've never had a problem with him but Diablo really lost a lot of her...Diabloisms for this.

And Charlize and Patton Oswalt are AMAZING.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:07 pm

I read the script for Young Adult years back when it was leaked online, and I was kind of horrified by how much disdain the screenplay had for Mavis, the main character. It read like everyone's fantasy of what the life of the blonde school bitch would be like 20 years after graduation - no friends, no family, no children, alcoholic, career going down the tubes, and she's back in town, begging everyone to give a shit about her.
It kept building up and building up her selfishness until you just knew there she was going to experience a major humiliation where it would be revealed in the most public way the the empress had no clothes and everyone thought she was a loser her, and yep, it happened. It gave lip-service to her desperation to be loved and intimations of teen trauma and abuse, but the tone of it was so moralising and judgemental that the underlying point of screenplay was to pity her hollow life.

And considering what Diablo Cody (I have never had a problem with her persona or even her writing style, for the record) has said about the film, being, "My theory is that assholes never change", and Jason Reitman with his perpetual championing of traditional family values saying "it's a horror story and Mavis is a monster" then I am even less inclined to part with my cash.

Shame, as I do adore Charlize, and I'm sure she kills it.

Last edited by Paris, Texas on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I agree - the trailers for Young Adult make me cringe - I can't imagine sitting through the whole movie. It looks even worse than My Best Friend's Wedding where I spent so much time wishing Julia Roberts' character would die in a fire that I missed what little plot there was.

This year's Oscar race is making me cranky. I usually make a serious run at seeing all the movies, but so many of the frontrunners are arty films that will never show around here. And it's not like I live in Antarctica - there are two ginormous theaters within striking distance, you'd think maybe one of them could spare a Twilight screen and show some actual movies. The closest "art house" is about an hour away, and I spend enough time driving already, thank you.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:19 am

I'm thinking about the Best Actress race again and it seems like, in addition to this being an unusually good year for women in leading roles (yay!), it seems to be an unusually good year for women over forty. I'm imagining a three-way race between Meryl, Viola Davis, and Glenn Close, Tilda Swinton getting the fourth slot, and Charlize/Kiki/Michelle/Keira/Rooney Mara/Elizabeth Olsen duking it out over the obligatory Young(er) Hottie slot.

For my money, I'd bet on Michelle Williams getting in since the Academy LOVES its biopics, and I could see Swinton not getting in in favor of another Young(er) Hottie, but it's still neat to see more roles for women in their fifties or approaching it.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 am

I agree, Tilda is the elder stateswoman least likely to get in. She got good reviews and a critics award, but I don't know how much Kevin has caught on. She's likely to get BAFTA nom, whatever happens, but it really depends on the SAGs.

If Elizabeth Olsen is not nominated it will be because, well, she's an Olsen, and because she peaked at Sundance when she would should have been pimping herself out much harder throughout the entire year, rather like Carey Mulligan did for An Education. Keira Knightley should do the smart thing and go for the supporting category, but she isn't. With Octavia Spencer and whatever Jessica Chastain will be nominated for, it would be way easier for her to knock out of of the actresses from The Descendants for a spot.

I'd like to see Charlize and Kirsten in spots 4 and 5. Rooney Mara creeps me out. As if that Vogue article wasn't sick enough, she's looks like a gnome, even before the haircut.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 pm

The Vogue article definitely put me off Rooney Mara, I'm not even sure I want to see the U.S. version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo now. I feel like her performance would be more the work of her puppet-master rather than anything she was bringing to the role.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 pm

ActonBell wrote:The Vogue article definitely put me off Rooney Mara, I'm not even sure I want to see the U.S. version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo now. I feel like her performance would be more the work of her puppet-master rather than anything she was bringing to the role.

Ooh, what was this now?
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 pm

I feel like her performance would be more the work of her puppet-master rather than anything she was bringing to the role.
I can't really buy this as a reason not to see a film. By that argument you'd have to avoid any Hitchcock film with a blonde actress or anything by Preminger or many, many films with kids in them.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Well, it's not my only reason. I really don't understand the need for another version, either.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:53 pm

I definitely have to agree with you on there not needing to be an American version of it
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:17 pm

I think an American version is not bad. I felt the foreign version was ok, but not blow your socks off. The American version looks like it might actually be better than the original.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:48 pm

I think an American version is not bad. I felt the foreign version was ok, but not blow your socks off. The American version looks like it might actually be better than the original.

THIS. I only saw the first one, but I didn't find it all that definitive in terms of an adaptation. I do think Rooney will have trouble convincing me she's a better Lisbeth than Noomi, she was very much what I envisioned when I read the book, Rooney less so. Her style and look is still way too downtown glam than it should be, but I'm willing to go with it and see how she does.

Also the Swedish version cuts out what I felt was one of the great pivotal points in the mystery
Spoiler:

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm with ActonBell. I didn't really like the books, and only saw the first of the Swedish films, which was pretty good, but all desire to watch this version has gone. At least, all desire to spend money in order to watch it has vanished.

Tippi Hedren always knew Hitch was an obsessive and Linda Darnell hated Preminger, so this situation is apples and oranges. It's not just that Rooney Mara is like the Trilby to David Fincher's Svengali, but she seems like she has Stockholm Syndrome. (Whilst in Stockholm... hee.) Not ordering food or eating until she had his permission was sickening to read. Honestly, that freakin' article read like one of those Scientology or cult exposes - all these people are excited, nay, obsessed with this lifestyle they share, and I'm reading, feeling repulsed.

When they were casting, Fincher was coaching her through several rounds of screen tests for the executives. I can't help but think that part of the reason he didn't cast one of the 20 young name actresses vying for the role is that anyone more established in the industry would be harder to mould. Lisbeth is the author's male fantasy of an alternative child-woman, and the whole series are bog-standard pulpy crime novels containing spurious sexual politics. Take your work seriously by all means, but don't pretend it's Ibsen or Shakespeare. There's nothing wrong with pulpy crime novels, even if they're not especially good ones, but this detail of co-dependency not necessary to create the atmosphere to elevate the material.

Another kicker is the way that Fincher bitches and moan about Noomi Rapace's version of the character in the other version ("Our Lisabeth is an original punk ...she's not Joan Jett..." - whatever, dude) and Rooney is just as smug:
“There’s a certain way people are used to seeing nude women, and that’s in a submissive, coy pose, not looking at the camera,” Mara says. “And in this poster, I’m looking dead into the camera with no expression on my face.” She smiles and flicks a cigarette into the street. “I think it freaks a lot of people out.” ... “One of the things that make our version that much more heartbreaking,” says Mara, “is that even though I am playing a 24-year-old, I look much younger. I look like a child.”

I know this doesn't turn off the majority of potential movie goers, and I am no doubt reading everything I discover about this film in the worst possible light, but the whole thing is a red flag for me. In any case, it will probably be a huge hit, and at least Daniel Craig will finally have a well reviewed non-Bond to his credit. The original films were criticised for their lack of directorial flair, so Fincher will be all over that, and Rooney Mara is already getting stellar reviews, and will probably get a bunch of nominations.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm probably just going to watch the movie and then decide my opinion on it.

Their relationship totally creeps me out but so does everything about Roman Polanski's existence and I own Chinatown.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:50 pm

Paris, Texas wrote:
Another kicker is the way that Fincher bitches and moan about Noomi Rapace's version of the character in the other version ("Our Lisabeth is an original punk ...she's not Joan Jett..." - whatever, dude) and Rooney is just as smug:
“There’s a certain way people are used to seeing nude women, and that’s in a submissive, coy pose, not looking at the camera,” Mara says. “And in this poster, I’m looking dead into the camera with no expression on my face.” She smiles and flicks a cigarette into the street. “I think it freaks a lot of people out.” ... “One of the things that make our version that much more heartbreaking,” says Mara, “is that even though I am playing a 24-year-old, I look much younger. I look like a child.”

This quote is striking to me because that poster actually enraged me. To me, she looks anything but strong in it. She looks like she's being dominated and controlled by a man, particularly because the expression on her face to me reads not as strong (which I think she's implying she was aiming for) but as the dead-eyed look of someone who is controlled and helpless, and who isn't trying to get away anymore.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:21 pm

After seeing We Need to Talk About Kevin, I really wish (probably in vain) that Tilda Swinton can get one of those Best Actress nominations, but I think it's even more unfortunate that Lynne Ramsay pretty much has no chance of getting a Best Director nod.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 pm

I think Tilda has a strong chance actually. Shes got a lot of buzz and shes a previous winner. Shes not a shoo in but she can get in.

I agree its unfortunate about Lynne Ramsey though.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 am

I saw Take Shelter this afternoon and was completely blown away by it, so I would love to see it get awards season love. I would settle for Michael Shannon at the very least getting a nod since his performance was so incredible. Based on what I saw in this movie and what I've seen of him in the past, he will make an excellent General Zod in the new Superman movie.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 pm

And the SAG noms are out. Streep, Davis, Swinton, Williams, and Close for the lead actress nominations.

Very happy for the Bridesmaids love for Melissa McCarthy and for the cast in general.

Not going to lie - the fact that Jonah Hill has a SAG nom, and a shot at an Oscar nom, makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I find him utterly repulsive.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next