Oscars 2012

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscars 2012

Post  Kiran on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm not normally a fan of his but I will say he was excellent in Moneyball.

Michael Fassbender's absence made me a bit sad but other then that I was very happy with the nominees. In particularly I was glad Demian Bichir got in.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

I'll have to take your word for it. He is on the short list of actors whose involvement will make me avoid a film like the plague, so I'll never know.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 am

I really don't understand why Melissa McCarthy is winning so many accolades for her performance in Bridesmaids. Yes, she was funny, but so was the rest of the cast, which is why I find the ensemble nomination much more apt. I enjoyed her performance, but don't see what is so award-worthy about it. It feels like Hollywood finally discovered her due to this one role, and she's been funny for a while now albeit mostly on TV up until this point.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Maybe it's snobbery? I feel like when award committees award comedy, they tend to do it in the supporting categories (and screenplay categories, though that doesn't apply to the SAG) and single out leading role comedic performances a lot less often.

I do think her performance was award-worthy, though, or at least nomination-worthy, because it was really damn funny, and I'm very happy when non-awards-bait performances get recognized with award noms.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm

I understand the McCarthy hype. When Bridesmaids came out, I remember a lot of reviews choosing her as the stand out. I think it'd be worthy of a nomination.

On TGWTDT, I really feel like why I'm hesitant about seeing it is I just really am not seeing the intelligence in the performance that I got from Noomi Rapace. There's a vacant quality to Rooney that feels all wrong. But reviews are strong, so I'll likely still give it a chance.

My one semi long-shot this season is that I want Nick Nolte to get in for Warrior. He's showed up at a few pre-cursors, so I think there's a chance. But that would totally make my Oscar morning if he's announced.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Midnight In Paris? Really? It was cute but that mean it wasn't cliched.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Golden Globes noms are out.

Not too many surprises there, I think. I guess I wasn't expecting to see anything for Drive, but good on Albert Brooks. Dragon Tattoo seems to have been passed over, plus War Horse. And I guess Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (though I'm not sure how much that one has actual Oscar buzz as people saying it should have Oscar buzz). It does seem like the awards people are remembering The Help better than I thought they would, though I don't think it will or should get anything other than acting nods.

Also, now I know that the film W.E. exists. Also, was the pool of animated films this year really that shallow?
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Cars 2 gets a nomination for Best Animated Picture, but not Kung Fu Panda 2? That doesn't make a lick of sense. It wasn't a very strong year for animated movies in general, but Kung Fu Panda 2 was a much more enjoyable movie. And it looked better. I suppose they gave Dreamworks a slot with Puss in Boots; I didn't see that one. Haven't seen Rango yet; should get on that.

I'm very glad Viola Davis got a nomination. I haven't seen more than a handful of movies this year, but The Help was one of them and she was great.

No Original Song nominations from "The Muppets"? Screw you, Golden Globes!

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Uh...My Week with Marilyn in the musical/comedy category? Can someone explain?

I'm looking at the Best Picture nominees and I just realized that, even though there are many more movies in this Oscar season than there were last Oscar season that I actually want to see, very few of them are Picture contenders.

In TV news, the piece of shit that Glee has become continues to get noms over Community, Parks and Recreation (which I don't love but I at least can recognize as a quality show), and oh, like, every other sitcom on television. I can't even talk about it.

The Muppets will probably not get any major award nominations. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it. *sniff*
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Last year they basically nominated The Tourist so Depp and Jolie would show up. (I suspect that's the same reason they've got two different Clooney movies on the list this year.) I'm not surprised the popular show with better ratings and more recognizable cast members got picked. It's a fair bet that Zooey Deschanel's fame and film career helped New Girl get in, too. (And they did nominate Amy Poehler.)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Oh I'm not surprised. I just hate it.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

The Golden Globes are like the prom of award shows. I always like that they take chances and will sometimes nominate people who deserve it but wont get a nomination anywhere else, but I think they cannot be taken that seriously. They are a chance to see a lot of big stars drunk and interacting.

Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 am

Full List of nominations

Thoughts:

- Tilda Swinton is out and Rooney Mara is in. This means no SWINTON! on the red carpet, and an opportunity for Rooney Mara to be even more obnoxious in interviews. I think I speak for most of us when I say that this is NOT a good trade-off.

- Glad Bridesmaids got a screenplay nomination, but Diablo Cody was robbed of a nom (and there's a sentence I never thought I'd say).

- The Muppets DID get in for Best Song - but not for "Life's a Happy Song." "Man or Muppet" is one of only two songs IN TOTAL to be nominated. I preferred "Life's a Happy Song" and "Pictures in My Head," but now I realized we'll get to see Jason Segel and Walter and Muppet!Gary and Jim Parsons perform it at the show, which will undoubtedly be the highlight of the evening.

- More people voted for Jonah Hill for an acting award than for Albert Brooks. What is the world coming to?

- I just realized that I have not seen a single one of the Best Picture nominations, and in fact, the ONLY nominated movie I've seen in the big eight categories is Bridesmaids. More significantly, the only one I actually WANT to see is The Artist, because the others all seem too similar to movies I've already seen (if that makes any sense).
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 am

I'm happy for Melissa McCarthy and Gary Oldman, but I'm reserving a massive BLEURGH for the rest of the nominees.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Seriously the Oscars are on my birthday and they blow harder than ever.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 pm

- The Muppets DID get in for Best Song - but not for "Life's a Happy Song." "Man or Muppet" is one of only two songs IN TOTAL to be nominated. I preferred "Life's a Happy Song" and "Pictures in My Head," but now I realized we'll get to see Jason Segel and Walter and Muppet!Gary and Jim Parsons perform it at the show, which will undoubtedly be the highlight of the evening.

I'm really baffled by only two songs getting nominated. How does that happen? Did they change the rules for that category too?
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 pm

That "Best Picture" list is just the craziest, dumbest grab bag of crap. Moneyball is the only one I've seen, and it wasn't anything special. I mean, I liked it, I enjoyed it, but really? Best Picture of the Year?

The others I can't comment on, but The Artist and Hugo are the only ones that spring to mind as having a chance in hell because they're the only ones that have unanimous praise behind them. The Help or Midnight in Paris might sneak up and win it, but the rest are some of the most mixed-signals reviews to be nominated for Best Picture I can remember.

The Rooney Mara nomination makes me want to throw up a little.

ONLY TWO SONGS? What the fucking fuck? There had to have been more movies with original songs than just Rio and The Muppets. That's CRAZY. This is a result of that stupid rule that end credit music doesn't count, isn't it? Grrrrr.....
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 pm

laddical wrote:That "Best Picture" list is just the craziest, dumbest grab bag of crap. Moneyball is the only one I've seen, and it wasn't anything special. I mean, I liked it, I enjoyed it, but really? Best Picture of the Year?

Yeah, that's how I felt about Midnight in Paris, which is the only one I've seen. Definitely enjoyable, but not amazing.

ONLY TWO SONGS? What the fucking fuck? There had to have been more movies with original songs than just Rio and The Muppets. That's CRAZY. This is a result of that stupid rule that end credit music doesn't count, isn't it? Grrrrr.....

If nothing else, there was the USO song in the middle of Captain America, which would have given The Academy an excuse to stick Chris Evans on stage in spandex for ratings. Not that I was rooting for that or anything.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Oh my god, I completely forgot about that! If Alan Menken can't make the cut in the Best Original Song category in a year when there are only TWO FUCKING NOMINATIONS, then the Academy just needs to pack it in and call it quits because they're simply too dumb to live.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

That "Best Picture" list is just the craziest, dumbest grab bag of crap. Moneyball is the only one I've seen, and it wasn't anything special. I mean, I liked it, I enjoyed it, but really? Best Picture of the Year?

That makes me feel better, heh. I'm here checking out this thread because I want to see who was nominated and realized that I probably haven't seen ANY of the nominees. Nice to know I haven't really missed anything.

ETA: Is War Horse not any good? I did kinda want to see that . . .

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:27 pm

It's just mixed reviews. The gist of it, to me, has been that it's typical Spielberg sentimentality - good, but feels like it might be trying too hard. How a critic reacts to that seems to be a deciding factor in which way the review swings.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:27 pm

We've seen all of the best picture nominees except Tree of Life. I can't say any of the pictures we've seen this year were all-time memorable for us; the closest might be The Artist just because it's so different from anything else.

I think for me this year had a lot of good movies that I enjoyed, but nothing that blew me away.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm disappointed for Shame. I thought for sure Michael Fassbender or Carey Mulligan were going to get nominated.

I'm so grossed out by the phrase "Oscar-nominee Jonah Hill", I can't stand him.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 pm

My final comment and then I'm done stewing over this - and done with the Oscars for the year. I won't be watching the show. I was already on that track when Brett Ratner was announced as producer, and his firing and the bringing in of Brian Glazer and Billy Crystal was only a small step back in the right direction. An interesting selection of races might have changed my mind, but I suppose I can't blame the Academy entirely - this was just a flat, uninteresting year overall. A few jewels, but nothing that seems to be generating much consensus, but mostly, as mri said, even the movies I saw and enjoyed didn't really create an impression on me.

They could have totally sealed my attention just for the song and dance numbers if they'd gotten the Best Song category right. I can't believe how frustrated I am over that. But I'm letting it go before I get too annoying with the ranting.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Hey, Tree of Life got in. It seemed like it was getting forgotten so far. (Though I can never remember how the Academy feels about Terrence Malick because he goes so long between movies. I guess Thin Red Line did a get fair number of nods.)

It is weird that the only big nomination GWTDT got was for Rooney Mara (though they did pick up editing and cinematography, too). Too violent for voters, perhaps? I think the only thing that got completely shut out that I thought would be there was Young Adult, and I know Bridesmaids deserved a Best Picture slot, but it's not like this the first year they've forgotten about comedy films being good. (Yes, Midnight in Paris is technically a comedy, but the fully array of literati and Famous Artists gives a lot more seeming prestige.) Plus, wtf, no Tintin for animated feature? Is there only room for one Spielberg movie per year? (Why does he only get one when John Williams get two?) Shame seemed to get enough middling reactions I wasn't expecting anything for it except maybe a nod for Fassbender. I'd be more surprised about the meh-ness of the nominees of I could think of anything better that they'd seriously consider, or that would get enough votes to get in.

Deadline has a pretty thorough list of snubs, though TBH I'm not sure why they think Harry Potter had a serious chance, outside of being the last one in the series. It did get visual effects, but the closest thing to Oscar buzz I've seen for it is Daniel Radcliffe being very gracious to his costar in an interview. DiCaprio is a surprising snub, but both the lead acting categories are pretty crowded this year. (Anyway, as they're all big names and past nominees/winners, I'm sure Leo and Swinton and Charlize Theron can make it to the ceremony.)

They need to fix their Best Song nomination process. (ETA: Scroll down to the bottom here for an explanation of the songs' nominating process--it's convoluted and ridiculous.) Though considering they just fucked over the Documentary category (apparently if the Times of New York or LA doesn't review you, you're not worthy), I doubt that will happen any time soon.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum