The Other Works of JK Rowling

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Other Works of JK Rowling

Post  jstilwe on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I just tried that, biakbiak, and it charged me, so who knows.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:06 pm

If they ARE giving her book away for free, that is a REALLY scummy move.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:58 pm

particle_person wrote:If they ARE giving her book away for free, that is a REALLY scummy move.

How so? It won't change the amount Rowling receives for the books.

(Amazon holding back Hachette books, on the other hand, I find very scummy.)

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Won't it? I assume she made back her advance already, so wouldn't that come out of her pocket?

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:13 pm

No, the amount she makes for each book sold/moved is guaranteed in her contract with the publisher; it doesn't matter what a retailer markets the books for.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 pm

biakbiak wrote:I was just looking at it on Amazon, and accidentally hit the one click thing and got it for free. It's not part of the Prime thing is it? That would seem weird but it gave it to me for free and the reason just said Promotion.

I was charged for it. Is it possible you had credits with them? I got a notice from them and Barnes and Noble about a settlement and credits to past purchasers - not much but it would cover a book or two.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:46 pm

I just bought two books on Wednesday and was charged and received no notice of a credit. Weird, I won't look a gift book in the mouth!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Publishing drama aside - has anyone else read The Silkworm yet? I just finished it on audiobook today and loved it, unsurprisingly. I just continue to love the characters and the world, and Rowling's sense of wry whimsy and cinematic description. And there are enough ongoing plotlines that I can't wait for the next one!

Some spoiler-y musings:
Spoiler:
Will Al become the new assistant with Robin in training? I would love if he joined the agency with his little red car.
WHEN oh when is Robin going to realize that Matthew sucks?
What caused Robin to leave University? Depression? Breakdown? Suicide attempt?
When will Charlotte become a major character? My prediction is for the next book - her new husband shows up dead? Or maybe she won't appear again until just after Robin ends it with Matthew. TIMING.
When will we meet Strike's dad? Maybe he'll be in book 3.
I wonder if they'll get to have a mystery outside of London...I'd love to see them "on location."

Also, since I've already started on the movie/series version of this in my head - reddish hair, convincing Yorkshire accent, spunky but disarmingly pretty - Robin has got to be played by Rose Leslie right? (More like Gwen than Ygritte, obviously.) But who would play Strike?

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Loved The Silkworm, and I'm really loving the world she's created.  Emrie, I have all the same musing as you:

Spoiler:
I thought we'd meet Jonny Rokeby and/or Charlotte in this one--they have to turn up sometime. I like your theory that she'll conveniently show up just when Robin finally dumps Matthew. Please dump Matthew, Robin. Though I will say, JKR writes that particular relationship dynamic really well. Also, Strike will have to investigate his mother's "accidental" overdose at some point, right? As far as an on location case, they have to end up in Cornwall eventually, right?

One part of the mystery structure that bothered me in both books is the way each case resolves. I wish she'd let the reader in a bit more as the case wraps up, instead of the "Strike tells his theory to Robin and she thinks it's crazy but I'm not going to tell you what it is" technique. It makes the resolution less exciting for me.

I liked Robin's character a lot more this time around--she feels far more developed now. I have someone I keep picturing for Robin, but I can't think of who she is or where she's from! It's driving me crazy. She's someone with red hair, who looks like Molly from Sherlock, but isn't her! (I have perhaps imagined this). I had no idea that Gwen from Downton is on Game of Thrones!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Francie Nolan wrote:Loved The Silkworm, and I'm really loving the world she's created.  Emrie, I have all the same musing as you:

Spoiler:
Please dump Matthew, Robin.
PLEASE THIS.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 am

I stayed up late reading this over the weekend. I love them. One thing Rowling does so well is characters. These people aren't perfect people that fit in their little boxes. They're fleshed out. It's fun. I love Robin; she kind of reminds me of a civilian Maria Hill, just starting out in her career.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:34 pm

After reading The Silkworm I've started a re-read of The Cuckoo's Calling. I realized that while I remembered the main reveal to the whodunit, I had forgotten about 80% of the details in between, so it's really fun to read over again. And now that I'm kind of shipping Robin and Cormoran, it's definitely fun to see it all from the beginning.

It's so cinematic, I really want them to make a movie out of it. It's the kind of story that is meant to be a movie, I think. I get stuck trying to cast everyone.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:10 pm

I just finished The Silkworm duing lunch. I don't know how much I like it (I find the world that Rowling created to be more dirty/hopeless/morally small than I really enjoy reading) but it is compulsively readable. And I do like Cormoran and Robin (although I prefer them platonically).

I did feel rather proud of myself
Spoiler:
for immediately suspecting Elizabeth Tassel because of her cough - I had serious suspicions that it was the result of all the acid used in the murder. Of course, I gave up that suspicion in favor of Michael Fancourt - mostly because he was so damned odious.

And I have to say, I didn't love the insinuation that single, childless, professional women are so desperately bitter that they'll erupt into grotesque murder.

I wonder how much of the writers/publishers was a send up of all the snobby "literary" types who must turn up their noses at Rowling's fantasy YA success.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:05 am

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Yayyyy!
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down