Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cabin in the Woods (Unmarked Spoilers!)

+13
inversed
Skyblade
rivki8699
TatersPrecious
blixie
queenofdenile
dionneshea
Putli Bai
Raksha
schwa
Shalamar
killershrew
laddical
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Cabin in the Woods (Unmarked Spoilers!) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Cabin in the Woods (Unmarked Spoilers!)

Post  Shalamar Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 pm

Played it at our annual Scary Movie Night. Oh my God, so much fun.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

The Cabin in the Woods (Unmarked Spoilers!) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Cabin in the Woods (Unmarked Spoilers!)

Post  wenchsenior Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 pm

So I finally got around to seeing this (not being a horror fan, the only slasher type horror I've ever seen is The Fog and the first Scream movie, which I realize was also a meta commentary movie). I enjoyed it, but I didn't really find it very scary. (Which was fine. I don't like being scared). However, I suspect this film will only really work for two groups of people: (1) well-versed watchers of horror films who also enjoy being tweaked as viewers, and having the genre meta-analyzed; and (2) Whedonverse fans. I didn't find the twists all that surprising, since Whedon works the same tropes over and over in all of his work, and this was essentially just an r-rated version of the darker elements of the Buffy/Angelverse, what with the Lovecraftian stuff and the "Initiative," and a lot of monsters and creepy stuff that he's done on a lower budget on his tv shows, etc. I really liked how it ended, but I wasn't that surprised (see Angel). Fun little movie, but seemed like it was aimed at a very specialized audience. Did it end up being a hit?

Also, one thing I didn't understand was the purpose of the black guy in the lab, the newbie guy. Did he do something important that I forgot about? It seems like his role might have been cut down in editing. Or was he just there so the lab guys could explain their system out loud to someone?

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Pretty much there just to serve as a prompt for exposition, I think.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:49 pm

I watched this on Netflix a couple of weeks ago, and then came and read this thread. I was shocked at so many people not finding it scary! I know that I am on the top of the scaredy-cat scale, but I thought this movie was very very scary!

I didn't know about Sigourney being in it, so that was a fun surprise.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2