Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Legend Of Korra

+13
DarkSpork
bbridges
vwlphb
sen3
mozzarella
sixchooks
Gilraen
punzy
draco vulgaris
darthtall
Luciano
laddical
Lily Rose
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Legend Of Korra Empty The Legend Of Korra

Post  Lily Rose Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:16 pm

I know we were talking about Korra over in the AtLA thread, but the show is officially here now, and I thought it should have its own topic, because it is AWESOME. So awesome that it scored 4.5 million total viewers, ranking as basic cable’s number-one kids’ show and top animated program for the week with total viewers. That is incredible, especially since the first two episodes had already been premiered online, and were available for free from iTunes (and now the pilot is free at Amazon too).

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

The Legend Of Korra Empty Re: The Legend Of Korra

Post  laddical Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm

I loved it so much. I think Meelo could either be the breakout comic relief character or the Jar Jar. Jury's still out. But everything else was unquestionably awesome. I love pro-bending so freakin' much. "Yeah, Daddy! You're a terrible teacher!"

I do think the world has advanced a little further in 70 years than I would expect, but what're ya gonna do.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Little Korra was the cutest thing. "I'm the Avatar, you gotta DEAL WITH IT" was an awesome introduction.

It's interesting how she's the exact opposite of Aang, relying more on brute force and defaulting to firebending a good chunk of the time.

I think Meelo could either be the breakout comic relief character or the Jar Jar.

Oh, Meelo totally cracked me up from his first scene. I love Tenzin and his family. Their introduction was one of my favorite scenes, especially with Jinora standing in for the audience and asking about Zuko's mom, only to have the answer interrupted. Going by what Katara started to say, it sounded like that story ended well!

Rufftoon's Seal of Approval comics are pretty great.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  darthtall Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 pm

I love it so much! My friend Kim and I have already half-seriously decided we will be Jinora and Ikki for Halloween. Yes, we are both in our 30s, what of it?

I love Korra, but I could watch her getting bounced around like a pinball while trying to be like the leaf over and over and over. Heeheehee.

I rewatched all of AtLA in the last few weeks leading up to the premiere, which was AWESOME, but now I have to go back to waiting a whole week between episodes, which is less so. Bah.

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

I love love love that Korra looks like she could actually kick serious ass without even bending anything. I can't remember the last time I ever saw a female protagonist who was muscular, not skeletal thin, and gorgeous. I love that she's enthusiastic and cranky and stubborn. I love that she's a real character and not just a cardboard cutout, but I shouldn't be surprised, because look who made her! They do good work.

THIS. This is my new favorite thing ever. It's Bryan acting out the scene between Korra and Chief Bei Fong, and it is the best. He posted it to his Tumblr:
Brian Konietzko posted:
I thought it would be fun to show you guys the original (bad) acting reference I did of Lin Beifong and Korra in this sequence for the animators. Bill Rinaldi, our martial arts and acting reference videographer, put together this GIF for me, because… you know, I don’t know how to do that stuff. Hope you enjoy!

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:45 pm

I hope we get to see more of Jinora. "I shall make no such promises". Heee. And I have to wonder how Katara and Aang managed to produce someone as serious and stodgy as Tenzin.

Korra's inability to learn airbending The Traditional Way really struck a chord with me since I had a similar experience with my martial-arts class. I had so much trouble getting my head around certain things, and even more trouble getting my body to do what I wanted it to do, and it drove both me and my teachers crazy.

I can't actually watch this show as it airs, since I don't have TV and my computer is a creaking lumbering dinosaur. I only managed to catch the premiere because it was being rerun during an exceptionally slow time at work. Maybe Nick will keep re-airing it on Monday afternoons.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:57 pm

I'm guessing that Tenzin is so serious because he had to live with the burden of being the only other airbender other than Aang in existence for such a long time before he had his own children. He was basically maintaining a whole culture by himself.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:07 pm

He might have been serious in a reaction to having Aang as a dad, and I got the impression his older siblings were similar to Aang in temperament.

Also, did you guys see this preview? There is a ferret-fox thing and I want one!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:40 am

I want one too!

Also, I've been sick this week, so my tolerance for shenanigans is very low. So I'm SO NOT IN THE MOOD to find out that "Amon" is able to energybend like an Avatar. That's just... NO. DO NOT WANT.

But, then, I guess we wouldn't have much of a story if the Big Bad didn't have Big Bad Voodoo.

The age difference between Korra and Aang - respective of their "presents" - is really sharp. It's not just their personalities - Korra's pretty much an adult, and there's a distinct lack of that "tween" energy that Aang and Sokka had (not so much Katara, since she was always the "den mother" of the team). Even the vocal quality Janet Varney brings to Korra is so much "older" than the old team. None of this is a criticism - I like that the show is pretty much staking its own territory in every single choice the producers have made. It's the same world, but not the same show. That's not always an easy balance to strike.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:14 pm

I watched all three episodes this morning and loved it; wish I had more to watch. I'm really enjoying the characters they've introduced, as well as the urban setting.

The tech. level doesn't bother me too much, because I figure it's the difference between 1860 and 1930 in our world, plus we're seeing what is likely to be the most advanced city in the world. But I hope, as the show progresses, that Korra gets to travel a bit and that we see some of the more rural areas that Aang and his friends spent so much time in and what they're like now.

Also, why can't I have a fire ferret thing?

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm

So: the energybending. Speculation ahoy!

My horrifying thought is that Amon is Aang's grandchild (through Bumi, the non-bending son). The major clues were: the language he used to talk about the loss of his family (the Firebender "took them away" instead of "killed" or "murdered" them), his claim to have been visited by the spirits, the Energybending technique itself, and Tenzin's comment, "only my father could do that!" It's definitely not conclusive evidence, but I think it's substantial. It's a nice subtle commentary on fanatical followers that no one in the audience said "Hey, that's bending!"

On the other hand, he could be using some kind of advanced chi-blocking, since that's what the rest of his followers use, and he's not performing the Energybending exactly as Aang did. And is it really necessary for Amon to be directly connected to our historical characters? That can arguably weaken the series, to have it overly focused on the people we already know. (Then again, why are we watching...? :)

It's interesting that Firebenders are still cast as the bad guys. They killed Mako and Bolin's parents, too (incidentally, slightly weakening my argument that they are related to Zuko).

Very, very strong work, getting us familiar with these characters and diving right into the moral issues. MOAR!
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

See, I think that Amon IS a Firebender, and he's Mako's and Bolin's older brother or something. I don't think he's related to Aang at all. And Tenzin said "Only the Avatar has DEMONSTRATED that ability" (energy-bending), not that only the Avatar COULD. Anyway, I think he's just chi-blocking, not energy-bending.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm sure it's not permanent, whatever it is, because I'm also sure that at some point he's gonna hit Korra up with it, and of course that's not something that can stick.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mozzarella Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: Amon's ability to take away someone's bending permanently, a lot of fans think that what is really happening is chakra-blocking.

I agree that Korra is probably going to lose her bending at some point in the future, which would force her to get in touch with the spiritual side of bending.

mozzarella

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Man, the writers are just trolling with the shipping stuff now, aren't they? I sort of love it. Asami is totes hot, though, I think *I* have a crush on her, so I can't blame Mako there. And Bolin was getting smoove with his little flowers and cupcake.

I so freaked out at seeing grown-up Aang and Sokka in Korra's memory/flashback/past life, and when she broke down, I almost cried. Tenzin is the best not-dad to his reincarnated dad.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Tenzin is the best not-dad to his reincarnated dad.

Sentences like this are why I heart SF and fantasy so hard.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Adult Aang looked bad-ass and incredibly pissed off. He also looked like he was in court or something.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:40 am

"Meelo! No! that is not a toilet! oh dear"

Lily Rose wrote:I so freaked out at seeing grown-up Aang and Sokka in Korra's memory/flashback/past life, and when she broke down, I almost cried. Tenzin is the best not-dad to his reincarnated dad.

And grown-up Toph too! That flashback of middle-aged Aang -gang was so awesome. Rewound it several times just to see them and also to look for clues. It did look like Aang and everyone was in some kind courtroom. I'm so excited about this whole Amon mystery and learning more about the past.

Also, I'd like a Saitomobile, please.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 am

"Meelo! No! that is not a toilet! oh dear"

Lily Rose wrote:I so freaked out at seeing grown-up Aang and Sokka in Korra's memory/flashback/past life, and when she broke down, I almost cried. Tenzin is the best not-dad to his reincarnated dad.

And grown-up Toph too! That flashback of middle-aged Aang -gang was so awesome. Rewound it several times just to see them and also to look for clues. It did look like Aang and everyone were in some kind courtroom. I'm so excited about this whole Amon mystery and learning more about the past.

Also, I'd like a Saitomobile, please.

Last edited by sen3 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 pm

laddical wrote:
Tenzin is the best not-dad to his reincarnated dad.

Sentences like this are why I heart SF and fantasy so hard.
Haha, right?! I was thinking about that scene and all the weird levels of it. Aang must have been a pretty good dad, though.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:55 pm

My husband thinks Aang is the firebender that took away Amon's family. I don't think that would make much sense since Aang didn't even kill Ozai, but he says that is what the flashback was all about.

I love Tenzin's kids. I want to see more of them.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Aang wouldn't be known as a firebender, though. Even taking away the Avatar label, he's an airbender. I'm guessing the flashback had to do with Yakone, the man Tarrlok mentioned in the Council meeting. In order to defeat Amon, Korra would have to tap into Aang's past/her spirituality. Maybe Yakone is the spirit that is guiding Amon.

Aang makes a cool Statue of Liberty.

I love Tenzin's kids. I want to see more of them.
Me too! Ikki is my favorite so far: "Why do you have three ponytails? And how come you smell like a lady? You're weird!" I love how her look of disapproval over Tarrlok's visit perfectly matched the look on her mother's face.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 am

Rewatching all four episodes again. I wonder - what's a tigerdillo? Is it a tiger with a plated shell? Or is it an armadillo with feline features and orange and black stripes?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 pm

laddical wrote:The age difference between Korra and Aang - respective of their "presents" - is really sharp. It's not just their personalities - Korra's pretty much an adult, and there's a distinct lack of that "tween" energy that Aang and Sokka had (not so much Katara, since she was always the "den mother" of the team). Even the vocal quality Janet Varney brings to Korra is so much "older" than the old team.
I was thinking about that too. Yet in a lot of ways she's "younger," particularly in terms of experience and exposure to the world. I was rewatching the pilot, and it kind of hit me that she's been surrounded by teachers guiding her for her whole life, while Aang was much younger and had to figure it all out on his own along with the Gaang, who were all younger than Korra is now. By the time they were her age, they'd saved, reshaped, and were leading the world. (I have to admit, that thought kind of choked me up. The Gaang really was amazing.)

I already loved Korra, and she grows on me more every episode! Like everyone else has said, I think it's fantastic how multi-faceted she is.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed May 02, 2012 8:05 am

laddical wrote:Rewatching all four episodes again. I wonder - what's a tigerdillo? Is it a tiger with a plated shell? Or is it an armadillo with feline features and orange and black stripes?
Apparently there was a tigerdillo in The Tales of Ba Sing Se. It's a tiger face and body with an armadillo type shell on its back.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum