Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veep

+5
Luciano
Morning Angel
queenofdenile
Shalamar
blixie
9 posters

Go down

Veep Empty Veep

Post  blixie Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:00 am

This was definitely the more successful of the new women centered HBO comedies. I laughed a lot and I think it will only improve from here. I think I missed the next five minutes of the show because I was laughing so hard at "I'll redact your fucking face." Bwaha. Gary struggling with the Kreuig was killing me, and then him looking exactly like a pimp? Hee.

Apparently the cornstarch utensils (the utensils have been politicized) storyline was inspired by JLD's experience trying to get The New Adventures of Old Christine set to use them, and they melted, which I've seen in action at my favorite restaurant that uses cornstarch cups.

I really love Armando Iannucci's profane take on politics, and I dig the cast (Vada Sultenfuss, yay!). I had seen In the Loop and this has much the same feel. He actually employs a "swearing consultant". Hee, looking forward to the rest of the season.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Veep Empty Re: Veep

Post  Shalamar Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 am

Me too. I adore JLD and will definitely stay tuned.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon May 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Oh man that episode last night was super funny, and had me from the moment Gary did "Buster Bluth" hands when Furnam hugged Selina. And his Garyoke is the best.

"She's got big shoulders. Those aren't pads."

"I have, a REAL dog." I loved Mike's fake dog, I'm kinda sad his story was blown.

Jonah hitting on Senator Hallowes daughter while the widow is openly grieving made me laugh really hard. I love how he's completely oblivious to how repellent he is. "The rapist face get's 8's. Consensually I might add."

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Ok for some reason I need to nitpick one little detail that doesn't work for me, namely that a divorced woman could be elected vice president. It makes sense from a plot standpoint to not have a husband hanging around all the time, but I wish they had made her a widow instead.

But that is literally my only complaint so far. This is the kind of show where I have to force my face not to laugh because I don't want to miss all of the good lines.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon May 07, 2012 11:24 pm

That show is so good, right out of the gate. I'm looking forward to it every week, more than Girls, which I initially thought I was going to enjoy more.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 pm

The "FLOTUS is currently procuring a canine for herself - the first dog or FDOTUS" was gold.

I think my favorite scene so far was in last week's episode, when Selina was told about the president's illness. The poorly-concealed joy in her eye was just perfect.

Just to add a bit of trivia: Catherine was played by Kiefer Sutherland's daughter. HBO apparently likes the offspring of famous folks.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue May 08, 2012 9:28 am

It makes sense from a plot standpoint to not have a husband hanging around all the time, but I wish they had made her a widow instead.

Yeah it's extremely rare for any one single (unless it's a widower) to be elected to public office, although of course Ann Richards had a successful political career despite her divorce in '84. But since the premise of the show is that the office is window dressing/useless, and since VP's don't run on their own I can see it as a possibility if her divorce was say 15 years into her 20 years in Washington, and yet well enough before she was running.

I am ashamed of how hot I find Book of Shit Dan. Can't blame Amy for going there once, or going there again if it happens.

"Have you read Faulkner?"
(texting away)"Um....little bit."

"You are quite the WILF."
"Oh, no, I did. I signed off with colon open brackets (frowns)."

"The vice president would LOVE to have you on the clean jobs task force, but we both know that would look fuckin' horrible." Hee.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon May 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Who played Selina's snuggle-bunny? At first I thought it was "David Wallace" from "The Office", but IMDB doesn't seem to agree with me.

I love this show. LOVE. JLD is such an amazing talent.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerg Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Shalamar wrote:Who played Selina's snuggle-bunny? At first I thought it was "David Wallace" from "The Office", but IMDB doesn't seem to agree with me.
You are right. It was definitely Andy Buckley.

And this is still cracking me up:
"Stop making up acronyms."
"Somebody has to!"

Nerg

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 am

I'm starting to really love this show. It started off a little slow and uneven, but the recent episode was hilarious.
Poor Mike listening to Selina on the phone. And I loved Selina trying and failing to talk sports - politicians riffing about sports is my husband's top ten pet peeve, so he was delighted to see it ridiculed.
I also spent way too much time trying to figure out where the hell I knew Dan from, then finally realized he was the doctor that was in love with Laura Linney on The Big C.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm

"Stop making up acronyms."
"Somebody has to!".

"No, they DON'T!"

My company is acronym-crazy (as I imagine many companies are), so I cracked up at that line.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:53 pm

The line that killed me was "for the sake of her legacy lets hope she's assassinated before she starts showing."

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:02 am

I've always enjoyed this show, but season 3 was definitely on a whole other level. Those last 2 episodes just killed me. What a mixture of oddly touching (given the general tone of this show) and absolutely hilarious. That bathroom scene between Selina and Gary killed me. We know Selina is often terrible (as is pretty much all the staff.) But that pure expression of joy and happiness was moving. Well done, Show.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:54 am

This was a great season. A great show. JLD kills it every single time, and the ensemble cast is amazing.

"Squeak to the Nation" - heeeee.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:26 am

Loved this season. JLD really is perfect, and the ensemble really killed it in these last few episodes, especially Tony Hale. I loved his quiet freak out in the other room when the squeaky shoes happened.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum