Newsies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newsies

Post  Esseilte on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 am

I couldn't find the old topic for this and I'm fairly sure we left it behind at the old board...wasn't sure whether to put this in movies or Music but as it's sort of both I thought I'd leave it where the old one was!

Been back on a Newsies kick lately - has anyone been to see the Broadway or Papermill productions? I got the Broadway cast recording and absolutely love it (almost had to pull my car over during 'Carrying the Banner' to avoid speeding) but there's no chance of my getting to New York before August.

I was rewatching the film last week, and the same thing happened that usually does - I found I'd completely forgotten about Sarah. She made absolutely no impact whatsoever. Of course as she sings the grand total of one line (and you can't even see her when she does it) it's not surprising. I'm not sure they could have made her interesting for the new production, so it's not surprising she got cut in favour of the new character.

One part they've changed which I wish they hadn't - the bit with the woman looking for her son in 'Carrying the Banner'. Well apparently a lot of people have been asking about it, which led to this video! Love it, and it's the only bit I really, really wish they'd put back. If I ever manage to see the show I'll be sitting with my hand over my mouth to avoid singing it myself.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Re: Newsies

Post  Gillian on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Esseilte wrote:One part they've changed which I wish they hadn't - the bit with the woman looking for her son in 'Carrying the Banner'. Well apparently a lot of people have been asking about it, which led to this video! Love it, and it's the only bit I really, really wish they'd put back. If I ever manage to see the show I'll be sitting with my hand over my mouth to avoid singing it myself.
Ha! When they first released the video, I thought it was completely delightful because I kept imagining how much shit they must have gotten from people for them to address it on social media.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 am

I really wish they'd put it back...it's the only bit that still bugs me. I miss the Seize the Day chorale, but the new opening of Seize the Day sort of has it anyway...some of the line changes I'd rather they hadn't done, but hey things change for Broadway. That bit, though? It's the only bit I could sing along to properly unless I want to be a nun (I don't count Medda. Ever.).

I still don't know what the new lyrics are (sung by the Newsie) beyond 'Colonel's coffee...concrete doughnuts speckled with mud' because every single time I play the song I have to belt out the original bit over the top of it. I'm considering an attempt to splice the audio from the YouTube over the new track...though that's doomed to failure.

Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum